Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pebble Beach hotel choice

Spanish Bay or Lodge?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mtferg1

mtferg1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166335
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

Heading to Pebble for a few nights in April.

Has anyone stayed at Spanish Bay or the Lodge? What are the differences?

Spanish Bay is a tad cheaper.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jleclair10

jleclair10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16930
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

I like Spanish much more than the Lodge

#3 JSouth

JSouth

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117169
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 31 January 2013 - 06:36 AM

My parents have a house at Pebble Beach, and when I go for a visit.  We always hang out at Spanish bay, you can sit outside over looking the golf course and the pacific.  You sit around the fire.   It is quite stunning place to be.   A bag piper comes out every day at sunset.

As far as the rooms, I'm sure they are both nice.   But I cannot comment.

#4 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Spanish is a little more warm and fuzzy, The Lodge is more "classy" and "upscale" and more sterile IMO.

#5 subrosa

subrosa

Better at bowling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182760
  • Ebay ID:subbyrosa
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Having been to both, Spanish looks a lot nicer and not nearly as many tourists. Bonus 5pm bagpiper!

Personally, I always stay in Carmel and pay the gate fee.

#6 mtferg1

mtferg1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

View Postsubrosa, on 31 January 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Having been to both, Spanish looks a lot nicer and not nearly as many tourists. Bonus 5pm bagpiper!

Then how to play the course if you're not staying at a Pebble Beach resort?

#7 subrosa

subrosa

Better at bowling

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182760
  • Ebay ID:subbyrosa
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

View Postmtferg1, on 01 February 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

There is a great tread in the "California" golf section about winter specials and how to get onto Pebble without staying at the resort. I can't seem to find it, but quite helpful.

#8 mtferg1

mtferg1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for the info!!!

We're going out there in late April for my 50th birthday. I played PB 25 years ago, but would love to play it again. I'm not sure how good our chances will be of calling a day ahead for a a Saturday or Sunday tee time in late April.

I think we'll just probably stay at one of the PB resort hotels and have a tee time in advance. But THANKS again for yur feedback!!

#9 swimbikemelee

swimbikemelee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151859
  • Ebay ID:swmmr121

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Went last April, Spanish Bay was a great place to stay.

Edited by swimbikemelee, 01 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#10 poppyhillsguy

poppyhillsguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2601
GolfWRX Likes : 272

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:19 PM

You call the day before when they start taking reservations. Spyglass and Spanish Bay can be booked as a single further out.

The discount rates expired 1/31.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 mtferg1

mtferg1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:30 PM

View Postpoppyhillsguy, on 01 February 2013 - 04:19 PM, said:

You call the day before when they start taking reservations. Spyglass and Spanish Bay can be booked as a single further out.

The discount rates expired 1/31.

The Pebble Beach golf shop just told me there is a very slim chance of this happening on a Saturday or Sunday in April.  I'll just stay at the resort and have a guaranteed tee time. I was just asking if anyone had stayed at either the Lodge or Spanish Bay so I could get a feel as to the 2 properties.

Thanks.

#12 TML

TML

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8692
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

Spanish Bay is a great choice.  Very nice rooms.

The only way I'd recommend you do a last minute reservation is if you don't care if you play or not, and you can drive there from no further than the Bay Area.  If you are coming from out of town, for peace of mind, stay at the resort and lock in your tee time.  Stress is to be minimized.

#13 mtferg1

mtferg1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:53 PM

View PostTML, on 01 February 2013 - 04:57 PM, said:

Spanish Bay is a great choice.  Very nice rooms.

The only way I'd recommend you do a last minute reservation is if you don't care if you play or not, and you can drive there from no further than the Bay Area.  If you are coming from out of town, for peace of mind, stay at the resort and lock in your tee time.  Stress is to be minimized.

That's what I thought.  Thanks!!!

#14 poppyhillsguy

poppyhillsguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,297 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2601
GolfWRX Likes : 272

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

Spanish Bay.

#15 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:6.1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:12 AM

I stayed at the Lodge and absolutely loved it. We had a room with a fireplace in it and could walk right out to the 18th fairway. Not sure what was "sterile" about it but if that is a sterile room I really want to stay in more of them on my travels...

SLDR 9.5 - Fujikura Pro 6.3
X2HP 15* - Speeder Tour Spec 7.2
TM UDI 1 iron - CTaper Lite
TM SLDR 4-PW - Steelfiber 95s
Cleveland RTG 52*/56*/60*
SC MOTO SB - 35" // Odyssey Tank Cruiser 1W 36"
TM Tour Preferred

#16 Truman

Truman

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119361
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

I prefer the Inn at Spanish Bay.  Spend the money for a course side room, so you can enjoy the pipers.

#17 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1385

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

They probably always tell you that. My trip a few years back was in early May and I was able to have my choice of tee times at either Pebble or Spy the day I was going to be there. My buddy got back from his trip a couple days before I left and told me they were just starting to punch the greens and collars at Pebble. With the big holes. So I played Spy instead.

Definitely check the aerification schedule. I walked down to the 18th hole of Pebble after eating supper in The Lodge and the entire green and surrounds were unplayable. Huge, muddy holes removed and not sanded all the way back to level. If you were to end up paying $400+ for a round on a day like that you would be sorely disappointed.

FWIW, I stayed way out in Watsonville at a Best Western. Spend all my big-$$$ on green fees and $12 hamburgers instead of lodging. Just drove over for my two days of golf on the peninsula, as I recall there's no gate fee if you have tee time reservations at any of the courses.

#18 Grumpy Superintendent

Grumpy Superintendent

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101182
  • Handicap:10.8
  • Ebay ID:bobmarleygolf
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:11 AM

View PostFourmyle of Ceres, on 04 February 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

They probably always tell you that. My trip a few years back was in early May and I was able to have my choice of tee times at either Pebble or Spy the day I was going to be there. My buddy got back from his trip a couple days before I left and told me they were just starting to punch the greens and collars at Pebble. With the big holes. So I played Spy instead.

Definitely check the aerification schedule. I walked down to the 18th hole of Pebble after eating supper in The Lodge and the entire green and surrounds were unplayable. Huge, muddy holes removed and not sanded all the way back to level. If you were to end up paying $400+ for a round on a day like that you would be sorely disappointed.

FWIW, I stayed way out in Watsonville at a Best Western. Spend all my big-$$$ on green fees and $12 hamburgers instead of lodging. Just drove over for my two days of golf on the peninsula, as I recall there's no gate fee if you have tee time reservations at any of the courses.

No gate fee if you have a tee time, but they will also refund the gate fee if you spend cash eating or shopping at Pebble.  Just show your receipt.

#19 SkyyDesigns

SkyyDesigns

Nor-Cal Scratch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63350
  • Handicap:+2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

The Lodge is a beautiful place to be and right in the heart of Pebble overlooking Stillwater or holes #1 and #18. Ive stayed there a few times but have stayed at the Inn at Spanish Bay more often. Both have views to die for and of course you are steps away from the ocean and golf courses. I have been staying at the Monterey Plaza Hotel now pretty much exclusively for the last 5 years. It's within walking distance of Cannery Row and still expensive but still 100-250 $ cheaper than the Pebble resort courses. I recommend the Plaza to all my buddies with families cause of the location. The only other hotels I've stayed at are the Portola Hotel and Spa and the Hyatt at Del Monte. For a cheaper route the Hyatt sill has golf course views and the rooms were actually spacious and clean. I've had massages at a lot of places and I think the Potola is the best for value over the Lodge. Hands down if I only had one night to stay and had the $ I would stay at Casa Palmero...stayed one night there for my anniversary and the views and fireplace made a all around experience I won't forget. I live only 2 hours from Monterey and go down 15-20 times a year. when I'm with the family the Plaza is where we stay if you go by yourself one of the others I recommended are all nice...
SLDR 430 TP 9* Matrix Ozik 7m3 X
SLDR TP/RBZ Tour P 15* & 19* 7m3 X
TaylorMade MB 3-9 KBS CTaper X
Titleist Vokey SM4 48-54-60 KBS blk/grn
Adidas-Coach-Versace
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5

#20 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118668
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

I've never stayed at Spanish Bay, but just stayed at The Lodge last weekend.  I was very impressed with the room.  Had a fireplace with lots of wood to burn, couch, nice chair, complimentary bottle of champane (might have been for my b-day), nice bathroom...etc.  We also had a balconey with awesome views, great for staring out at night, and eating breakfast on in the morning.  We may have stayed at Spanish Bay, but The Lodge at Pebble was the only one of the two that allowed us to bring our dogs (and had a bowl with treats waiting for all three of them when we arrived).  Here is the view from our balconey (distant view room):

Attached File  2013-01-27_09-11-10_432.jpg   56.65K   3 downloads

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors