Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Northeastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania

11 replies to this topic

#1 LaBraeGolfer

LaBraeGolfer

Road to Scratch

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127471
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

My buddy is looking to play college golf fall of 2014, I think he would like to stay somewhat local and he is definitely wanting to at least go on a partial scholarship he shoots 38 average during high school (I know it doesn't matter), but he went to the Ohio State Golf Camp and played pretty well against some really good golfers told me he shot 37 with a triple on 9 holes on the Scarlet, he shoots high 70's low 80's in virtually every tournament he plays in qualified for districts last year, his academics are iffy around a 2.7 is my guess takes some advanced courses, but know that he knows the importance on grades he is picking it up.

The main college I thought of is Lake Erie College, I know there are others and his golf coach is Joe Allen who coached Jason Kokrak who is on his sophomore year on the PGA Tour.

I know there are others and his academics definitely need improvement, but as a freshmen in college it is so much easier than high school and I am taking 17 credit hours.

TMAG Superfast TP 10.5 Fubuki Tour 63
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 Fubuki Tour 73 x5c
Ping G25 20 stock stiff
Wilson Staff DI7 4-GW
Jaws Slate 52 & 58
White Hot Steel 2 Ball 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Tyler08

Tyler08

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137431
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

My buddy plays for Tiffin an them seem to have a pretty solid team and facilities.

Best thing I could suggest is find schools with the major he is interested and then contact the coaches and maybe set a visit up with them.
Ping Anser 9.5 Rip Red Eye X flex
07 Burner TP 14.5 stiff
Ping Rapture Driving Iron COMING SOON
Ping S56 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff Black Dot
Scratch 8620 53*, 58* D/S grind
Odyssey Metal X #7Mid,cut down with S/S

#3 minitour

minitour

Hater

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,066 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16714
GolfWRX Likes : 448

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:01 AM

Kent State.

Kent read, Kent write...
R11 - 10.5* Dromos S
SLDR - 15* Stock Fujikura S
Scrach 18*-46* N.S.PRO S
Scratch 50*, 55*, 60* N.S.PRO S
Edel Putter
Titleist Pro V1X
WITB Link

#4 Eec55

Eec55

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20615
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:43 AM

Unless you are recruited you will not play....I walked on in college and made the team. I was beating 2 out of the top 5 players but the coach told me i would not play because I was not recruited. I was like wtf and I just quit....but NCAA says you must hold open tryouts.

#5 LaBraeGolfer

LaBraeGolfer

Road to Scratch

• 304 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

View Postminitour, on 31 January 2013 - 01:01 AM, said:

Kent State.

Kent read, Kent write...
If my buddy got recruited by Kent State I would go nuts you realized that they are top 25 (I think ranked 22 last year) Herb Page is a Boss

Ping G25 20 stock stiff
Wilson Staff DI7 4-GW
Jaws Slate 52 & 58

#6 practicetee

practicetee

In the Galaxy....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27080
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 31 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

Look into LaRoche, Point Park, California University of PA, and Westminster.  I've had friends who have played for each school; some the academic requirements are lesser than others, some have more aid than others, but all will provide an education and have decent programs.
Nike Covert Performance, Tour AD BB

#7 LaBraeGolfer

LaBraeGolfer

Road to Scratch

• 304 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:09 AM

View Postpracticetee, on 31 January 2013 - 08:38 AM, said:

Look into LaRoche, Point Park, California University of PA, and Westminster.  I've had friends who have played for each school; some the academic requirements are lesser than others, some have more aid than others, but all will provide an education and have decent programs.
LaRoche seems like it could be a good fit, the captain before me got an offer from Point Park, went to Cal for a open house thing the campus was really nice but it was in a strange location, but he might want to major in PGM so thanks for the feedback I don't think I even heard of Laroche when I was looking too bad I had such a horrible senior year.
Ping G25 20 stock stiff
Wilson Staff DI7 4-GW
Jaws Slate 52 & 58

#8 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:47 AM

Even if Herb Page recruits you is no guarantee you'll play. If he lands a higher recruit and you out play him to make the traveling squad... doesn't mean you make the traveling squad.

Few schools give "full rides" for golf.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#9 tylerjackie

tylerjackie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 175428
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 May 2013 - 11:26 PM

What is your GPA and SAT b/c if it is good I know a school where you can play golf an practically go for free.

#10 alange_underpar

alange_underpar

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 441 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 283774
  • Handicap:+1.7
  • Ebay ID:2012pittgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 16 November 2013 - 12:31 AM

I had been talking to Westminster for college. They have a great school, they play at a really nice facility at New Castle Country Club and play some good courses throughout the year. Penn State Behrend is a really great option if you want to stay DIII as well. My best friend played there for 4 years and they went to NCAA DIII Championships 2 out of the 4 years as well as the year following my buddy's graduation.  LaRoche is right by my house and they play a pretty nice home course too.  Point Park is kind of a rough place to try and golf because of it's location right in downtown, nearest facilities are kind of junky, not even really sure where they play.  Clarion is DII and has a good program. I went up against one of their guys in some tourney's and he was pretty solid.  RMU is DI but that might be tough to get on even though they're very minor in the golf world.  IUP is one of the best DII programs in the country year in and year out. Really any of the branch campuses of PSU and Pitt are good if you want to golf but can't or don't want to be apart of the DI lifestyle.

Baldwin-Wallace in Ohio is another nearby DIII option, I knew someone who went there and really liked it. John Carroll is another ohio choice as well.

Edited by alange_underpar, 16 November 2013 - 12:33 AM.

Adams Speedline Fast10 8.5* Ilima 60s
Titleist 909F3 15* Proforce V2 70s
Adams Idea ProA12 18* NVR Proto 85s
Adams Idea MB2 3-PW KBS Tour S
Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2
TM TP 52* & 58* KBS Tour S

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:14 AM

Walsh College in Canton, OH or even Malone in Canton.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

#12 kcarile

kcarile

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 298700
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

Baldwin Wallace, Lake Erie isn't a bad option, I know that for a d3 program you just need to apply to the school and show intrest in playing to the coach. That is what I am doing and it is working very well. Lots of d3 schools will show intrest. Just inform the coach. Email him call him and show him stats. Set up a visit. Most important thing is showing that your going to the school to learn and golf will be a bonus if you can play. What is your friends name because I'm a senior this year in high school from North Roaylton, Ohio and have played varsity for 4 years. I know a lot of people.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors