Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Cutting down a stock G20 shaft

32 replies to this topic

#31 Nessism

Nessism

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,409 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131490
GolfWRX Likes : 1252

Posted 08 April 2013 - 09:09 AM

View Postmikes919, on 08 April 2013 - 08:35 AM, said:

So now that the G20's are down to $199 in stores, I'm going to order one up. I hit a bunch of different heads and stock shafts, and I clearly did the best with a 10.5* and a plain old regular flex TFC shaft. Swingspeed is in the low 90's-- I couldn't load the TFC stiff at all, the Tour TFC Regular was on the borderline (some straight shots, but I couldn't always get around), and the TFC regular felt great.

However, I'm still not comfortable with the 45.75" overall length and I would really like to order it at 44.75" or 44.5" from the factory and have them add headweight to get the driver back to D3.

Since cutting it down and adding weight is going to soften the shaft even more, should I be ordering the Tour TFC in a regular flex instead of the regular TFC, knowing that it will soften up? I'm worried that a regular TFC will be too soft after cutting down and weighting.

That's a good question right there.  I'm not familiar enough with the stock ping shafts to answer your question.  I do know the Tour version shafts have a higher bend point, but I'm not sure about the overall flex.
Ping has a fantastic staff of customer service representatives available on-call, so you may want to give them a ring and pick their brain.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#32 mikes919

mikes919

Fairway Bunker Aficionado

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191894
  • Handicap:13.7
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 08 April 2013 - 12:00 PM

I called and spoke to someone at PING. They said they would use a tip weight to get the head as close to standard as possible, but could probably only get it back to D0 or so. He claimed that the added weight wouldn't affect the flex a noticeable amount and that if the regular shaft fit me best, then that's what I should stick with.

The weight not affecting the flex goes counter to a lot of what I've read here, but he seemed very confident. Very helpful and easy to work with at PING.
Cleveland Classic XL Custom 10.5*
TEE XCG-3 16.5* 4W
TEE XCG-6 19* Hybrid
Adams Idea Black CB3 4-PW
Vokey SM5 49.11(F), 54.10(S), 60.11(K)
Yes! Evelyn 12

#33 gatoreric

gatoreric

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 237799
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 April 2013 - 12:58 PM

I just bought a G20 barely used and noticed it had a shorter shaft in it (44"). I wasn't sure if it was done by the previous owner or Ping. Called Ping with the serial number and they gave me the specs. They got it down to D2 at 44". Added weight to the tip and clubhead. Great driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors