Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Michael Phelps signs with Ping????

Ping

84 replies to this topic

#61 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,896 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 2261

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:03 AM

The jealousy displayed in this thread is astounding.  Grow up and accept the fact that a ton more people want to see Michael Phelps golf than you.

Edited by 502 to Right, 01 February 2013 - 12:04 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#62 mr smith

mr smith

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218761
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:26 AM

View PostRedman, on 31 January 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

View Postmr smith, on 31 January 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

View Postknockdown9, on 31 January 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

I'm surprised people are taking this so personally.  I could care less if Phelps is sponsored by Ping.  This is an extremely smart move by Ping for the exposure.  Phelps will go down in history as one of the most famous athletes ever.  He pretty much already is.  Most of us know Phelps won't ever become a pro golfer, but for the general public golf fans they will probably want to see if he can not knowing any better.

As for giving a set of clubs to someone who really needs it.  I'm pretty sure Ping and other golf companies probably donate a lot to various charities, schools, etc.  It's just not news worthy in our day and age.

Is it unfair that he (like other rich and famous people) are getting all this free cool gear.  It probably is.  I have to work hard in order to be able to just play golf and he gets gear because of who he is; however, I know there are people who have it way way worse then I do and playing golf isn't even in their stratosphere of possibilities.  If anything, I'm way more jealous that he gets to play courses like Scottsdale with Bubba and so on.
Hate to rain on your parade but phelps is way down the list of famous athletes, he wouldnt make top 50. He isnt even most famous swimmer, Spitz snd Weismuller are ahead of him. I think if given a choice most sports fans would rather meet tiger, mj, ali, bird, gretzky etc ahead of phelps
Spitz and Weismuller more famous than Phelps, ha ha. That's a good one. You must think this is still 1988. The only reaaon people under 40 know the name Spitz is because Phelps brought a lot of attention to swimming over the last decade and they had to mention the guy whose records were getting broken.
I could guarantee Phelps could walk down the main street of any country bar America and hardly be recognised. His name is well known but most non americans wouldnt know wtf he looks like, and thats a fact.

#63 akrite4

akrite4

Big Jack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 196666
  • Ebay ID:jrowe1975
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:55 AM

Im pretty interested to see how his new set of Pings are gonna go over on The Hank Haney Project. That show is back really hard by Taylormade.

#64 Scungi

Scungi

Hmmm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140671
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:07 AM

Mr. Smith, maybe Mick Dundee is more deserving?

#65 Nerra

Nerra

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130224
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostThrillhouse, on 31 January 2013 - 05:19 AM, said:

VISIBILITY

I bet if you had a third arm growing out of your forehead that spewed jolly ranchers from its fingers and were about to talk about it on the view tomorrow you could probably hook up some free s**t by wearing a logo or two. Simple as that.

As far as giving it to "someone who needs it" goes, it seems most people who say that are really talking about themselves, and if that's you I think you need to be reminded that at the same time that there are starving kids in Somalia who dodged bullets on their 5 mile walk to a ramshackle one room school hut with no shoes on today you made enough money to whack a ball around a lawn.

So let phelps have his pings.

Well said!

It's a smart marketing move by Ping. Phelps has to play some brand of club and so whilst the world is watching to see what he does next, it's a very clever move by Ping to stick their clubs in his bag.

#66 pingeye

pingeye

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2532
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:54 AM

Good for Ping! They recognize a marketing approach and are taking full advantage of it. It's disheartening to see all this "he's rich and should buy his own", "give them to someone(thing) more deserving", "I have to work for a living to pay for golf", "Ping should give me clubs".....me, me, me. me, me, crap.....nothing but a lot of whining here. These topics seem to always turn into those that have, and those that have not.

Ping has and will received more airtime on their products to market them to the younger masses who are watching the Fowler's and McIlroy's playing and pushing other brands to the age group.

Nothing wrong with this!

Done with my rant.
TaylorMade 2017 M2 10.5 Tensei CK Blue
TaylorMade Aeroburner 16.5 GD YS-7
Ping G25 Hybrd 17 TFC 189
Ping I200 4-W
Ping Glide 2.0 52ss, 56ss
Ping TourS 60
O-Works #7 or Ping Redwood Anser

#67 Yepyukon

Yepyukon

Hinge + Hold

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81307
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:rockypokeronline
GolfWRX Likes : 976

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

View Postmr smith, on 01 February 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

I'm surprised people are taking this so personally.  I could care less if Phelps is sponsored by Ping.  This is an extremely smart move by Ping for the exposure.  Phelps will go down in history as one of the most famous athletes ever.  He pretty much already is.  Most of us know Phelps won't ever become a pro golfer, but for the general public golf fans they will probably want to see if he can not knowing any better.

As for giving a set of clubs to someone who really needs it.  I'm pretty sure Ping and other golf companies probably donate a lot to various charities, schools, etc.  It's just not news worthy in our day and age.

Is it unfair that he (like other rich and famous people) are getting all this free cool gear.  It probably is.  I have to work hard in order to be able to just play golf and he gets gear because of who he is; however, I know there are people who have it way way worse then I do and playing golf isn't even in their stratosphere of possibilities.  If anything, I'm way more jealous that he gets to play courses like Scottsdale with Bubba and so on.
Hate to rain on your parade but phelps is way down the list of famous athletes, he wouldnt make top 50. He isnt even most famous swimmer, Spitz snd Weismuller are ahead of him. I think if given a choice most sports fans would rather meet tiger, mj, ali, bird, gretzky etc ahead of phelps
Spitz and Weismuller more famous than Phelps, ha ha. That's a good one. You must think this is still 1988. The only reaaon people under 40 know the name Spitz is because Phelps brought a lot of attention to swimming over the last decade and they had to mention the guy whose records were getting broken.
I could guarantee Phelps could walk down the main street of any country bar America and hardly be recognised. His name is well known but most non americans wouldnt know wtf he looks like, and thats a fact.

I could say the same thing about Tiger Woods.  People know the name but most people (that are not hard core golfing fans) could not pick him out of a line up even though they recognize his name.
TaylorMade M4 10.5* w/ Oban Devotion
TaylorMade M3 3HL w/ Diamana BB
Srixon ZU65 18* w/ Miyazaki
Nike Vapor Speed 4i w/ AxivCore Blue
Srixon 765 5 - P w/ Modus Tour 120
Cleveland RTX 3 50* 55* 60*
Cleveland Huntington Beach 10
Srixon ZSTAR TY

#68 dplasters

dplasters

How little they know about what they imagine they can design

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101355
  • Location:Where all the children are above average, Fairfax VA
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:08 AM

View Postmr smith, on 31 January 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Still not the most famous athlete on the planet though. I think this is a case of Americans thinking the world comprises the united states and not much else. News flash, the olympics come once in four years and swimming is not a big deal outside the US. The only time I remember Phelps being in the news here in Oz was when he got caught with a bong, much bigger story than his swimming.
Why on earth do you assume that Oz's (assuming your perception is really all of Australia's because you are clearly the spokesman) coverage/opinion of Phelps has anything to do with his popularity in the US or the world?

Next post I'll start throwing out the top 10 aussie rules footballers of all time because I am totally qualified to make that list, after that I'll ramble off the top 10 Serbian Water Polo players.  Following afternoon tee I'll just aggregate world popularity of all people and things because its just that easy to do.

I'm going to throw out a guess that Ping does most of their sales in the U.S.  I'll hazard another guess and say that they are trying to target a younger market as their clubs seem to have an "old person" stigma to them.  Phelps is young, and very personable to the 18-30 crowd and he is freaking going to be on TV playing golf with their clubs.  That is it.  Its a smart marketing movie.  Adam Levine bagged all TM when he was on the show.  They even showed him getting fit into it.  Lets not act like he tried any other OEM clubs.

People care what celebrities use and do.  Endorsements work.  Phelps is popular.  If Spitz and Phelps were both paid to show up at an event, Phelps is probably going to get paid more to show up.  I think that's a pretty solid gauge of their relative popularity.

#69 plus8

plus8

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90462
  • Ebay ID:wbrancher
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:24 PM

Who the He11 is Michael Phelps??? And why is this under 'Tour Talk'? Last I heard, Phelps couldn't begin to dance the dance....

#70 chiva

chiva

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176280
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Maybe Phelps will get on the tour, like MJ playing MLB or the North and South Am a few years back(he didn't play well).

OB and water hazards you flunkies

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#71 mr smith

mr smith

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218761
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:40 PM

View PostYepyukon, on 01 February 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

View Postmr smith, on 01 February 2013 - 05:26 AM, said:

I could say the same thing about Tiger Woods.  People know the name but most people (that are not hard core golfing fans) could not pick him out of a line up even though they recognize his name.
You could say that but you would be wrong. Tiger is without doubt the most recognised face in sport.

Mick Dundee looks more of a Slazenger or Macgregor man to me. Old school.

#72 BDowning

BDowning

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222577
  • Ebay ID:bdowning86
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:12 PM

Phelps received a celebrity sponsorship from Ping. Ping is just using him for marketing I'm sure because he's an Olympic monster. The guys game is just like all of ours. AMATEUR haha.

#73 dmbgolfer

dmbgolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68216
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM

Man, it is so unfair that Phil gets that sweet KPMG hat, and he's not even an accounting nerd.  I'm an accounting nerd, and I don't get squat!

#74 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73111
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:37 PM

View Postdplasters, on 01 February 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

View Postmr smith, on 31 January 2013 - 07:25 PM, said:

Still not the most famous athlete on the planet though. I think this is a case of Americans thinking the world comprises the united states and not much else. News flash, the olympics come once in four years and swimming is not a big deal outside the US. The only time I remember Phelps being in the news here in Oz was when he got caught with a bong, much bigger story than his swimming.
Why on earth do you assume that Oz's (assuming your perception is really all of Australia's because you are clearly the spokesman) coverage/opinion of Phelps has anything to do with his popularity in the US or the world?

Next post I'll start throwing out the top 10 aussie rules footballers of all time because I am totally qualified to make that list, after that I'll ramble off the top 10 Serbian Water Polo players.  Following afternoon tee I'll just aggregate world popularity of all people and things because its just that easy to do.

I'm going to throw out a guess that Ping does most of their sales in the U.S.  I'll hazard another guess and say that they are trying to target a younger market as their clubs seem to have an "old person" stigma to them.  Phelps is young, and very personable to the 18-30 crowd and he is freaking going to be on TV playing golf with their clubs.  That is it.  Its a smart marketing movie.  Adam Levine bagged all TM when he was on the show.  They even showed him getting fit into it.  Lets not act like he tried any other OEM clubs.

People care what celebrities use and do.  Endorsements work.  Phelps is popular.  If Spitz and Phelps were both paid to show up at an event, Phelps is probably going to get paid more to show up.  I think that's a pretty solid gauge of their relative popularity.

Wrong, not all endorsements work...........I don't own nor have I had any inclination to buy a speedo swimsuit........ :swoon:

#75 cleatussno

cleatussno

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63845
  • Ebay ID:capps135
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:48 PM

View Postdmbgolfer, on 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Man, it is so unfair that Phil gets that sweet KPMG hat, and he's not even an accounting nerd.  I'm an accounting nerd, and I don't get squat!

#76 Shiram

Shiram

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126739
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 02 February 2013 - 01:52 PM

View Postdmbgolfer, on 01 February 2013 - 04:53 PM, said:

Best post in this thread - my hat is off to you sir!

#77 nightwalker

nightwalker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26312
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 03 February 2013 - 05:05 AM

From the Rule of Golf 2012-2015

6-2. Promotion, Advertising And Sales

An amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation must not use that skill or reputation to obtain payment, compensation, personal benefit or any financial gain, directly or indirectly, for (i) promoting, advertising or selling anything, or (ii) allowing his name or likeness to be used by a third party for the promotion, advertisement or sale of anything.

Exception: An amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation may allow his name or likeness to be used to promote:

(a) his national, regional, state or county golf union or association; or

(b) a recognized charity (or similar good cause); or

© subject to the permission of his national golf union or association, any golf competition or other event that is considered to be in the best interests of, or would contribute to the development of, the game.

The amateur golfer must not obtain any payment, compensation or financial gain, directly or indirectly, for allowing his name or likeness to be used in these ways.

Amateur golf, really?

Adams 9015d 9.5 Speeder 665TS
Mizuno MP650 15* Phenom 70g S
Exotics CB Proh 3i, 4i Fuel TP S
Adams CB2 5-GW Recoil 125 F5
Nike X3X 52*, 58* Recoil 125 F5
Odyssey Backstryke Blade 34"

#78 neil72

neil72

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120618
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:02 AM

View Postnightwalker, on 03 February 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

An amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation must not use that skill or reputation to obtain payment, compensation, personal benefit or any financial gain, directly or indirectly, for (i) promoting, advertising or selling anything, or (ii) allowing his name or likeness to be used by a third party for the promotion, advertisement or sale of anything.

Exception: An amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation may allow his name or likeness to be used to promote:

© subject to the permission of his national golf union or association, any golf competition or other event that is considered to be in the best interests of, or would contribute to the development of, the game.

The amateur golfer must not obtain any payment, compensation or financial gain, directly or indirectly, for allowing his name or likeness to be used in these ways.

Amateur golf, really?

Are you claiming that as an amateur, he cannot be sponsored by Ping, without jeopardizing his amateur status? The important point to note here is the first line, "An amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation". He does not have golf skill, therefore he can accept the sponsorship. The definitions are quite specific in the rules. He is famous not for his golf, but for his swimming, therefore can be sponsored by Ping as an amateur.

Golf Skill or Reputation
It is a matter for the Governing Body to decide whether a particular amateur golfer has golf skill or reputation.
Generally, an amateur golfer is only considered to have golf skill if he:
(a) has had competitive success at regional or national level or has been selected to represent his national, regional, state or county golf union or association; or
(b) competes at an elite level.
Golf reputation can only be gained through golf skill and such reputation is deemed to continue for five years after that player's golf skill has fallen below the standard set by the Governing Body.

Edited by neil72, 03 February 2013 - 10:03 AM.

#79 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

I wonder if Ping found out he was doing Haney's show and jumped on this. Haven't read the thread so if it's been answered ah well.

#80 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 6153

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

Here are all the photos of his equipment.

[attachment=1521621:Phelps_PING_Tour_wedge_690.jpg][attachment=1521623:Phelps_G25_irons_690.jpg][attachment=1521625:Phelps_PING_G25_7iron_690.jpg][attachment=1521627:Phelps_PING_G25_metal_woods_690.jpg][attachment=1521629:Phelps_PING_irons_hosels_690.jpg][attachment=1521631:Phelps_PING_Scottsdale_TR_690.jpg]

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#81 Frankie Lob Wedge

Frankie Lob Wedge

Charlie

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,759 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130943
GolfWRX Likes : 507

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

View Posttdk8180, on 30 January 2013 - 11:43 PM, said:

Awesome!  I don't like Phelps that much.  Can't deny his success, but his overly large facial features make me wince. So this Ping signing is perfect, as their clubs make me wince.

Unreal.  Are other golfers like some of the people who post here?   I may or may not like Phelps.  I think they ruined the olympics and it is pretty stupid anymore.  Swimming, downhill skiing, cross country skiing and some running and tracj and field are good but the rest is mostly a joke.  Having pro athletes play in the olympics is stupid.

Getting back to Phelps.  He was do a rich kid and he trained very very hard to become very very good.  He was lucky because his body and feet were suited for swimming.  He is probably without a doubt the greatest swimming ever.  His accomplishments at the Olympics over two 4 year periods is amazing.

Ping seem to be a pretty solid and straight up company.  I am sure they think working with Phelps is a positive for the company.

Edited by Frankie Lob Wedge, 04 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#82 nightwalker

nightwalker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26312
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 05 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

View Postneil72, on 03 February 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

View Postnightwalker, on 03 February 2013 - 05:05 AM, said:

Amateur golf, really?

Are you claiming that as an amateur, he cannot be sponsored by Ping, without jeopardizing his amateur status? The important point to note here is the first line, "An amateur golfer of golf skill or reputation". He does not have golf skill, therefore he can accept the sponsorship. The definitions are quite specific in the rules. He is famous not for his golf, but for his swimming, therefore can be sponsored by Ping as an amateur.

Golf Skill or Reputation
It is a matter for the Governing Body to decide whether a particular amateur golfer has golf skill or reputation.
Generally, an amateur golfer is only considered to have golf skill if he:
(a) has had competitive success at regional or national level or has been selected to represent his national, regional, state or county golf union or association; or
(b) competes at an elite level.
Golf reputation can only be gained through golf skill and such reputation is deemed to continue for five years after that player's golf skill has fallen below the standard set by the Governing Body.

The only issue I have is: The amateur golfer must not obtain any payment, compensation or financial gain, directly or indirectly, for allowing his name or likeness to be used in these ways.

If someone can write an instructional article and lose their amateur status, surely someone who receives financial compensation from an endorsement deal would as well.
Adams 9015d 9.5 Speeder 665TS
Mizuno MP650 15* Phenom 70g S
Exotics CB Proh 3i, 4i Fuel TP S
Adams CB2 5-GW Recoil 125 F5
Nike X3X 52*, 58* Recoil 125 F5
Odyssey Backstryke Blade 34"

#83 gmangolf

gmangolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45391
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 324

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

View PostBrianm423, on 30 January 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Postmws92, on 30 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

View Postmws92, on 30 January 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostBrianm423, on 30 January 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

View Posteyewipe, on 30 January 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Unless there is an elite tour which rewards precision duck hooks it would appear he's just one of those fortunate celeb. types that walks into all the good stuff!

Good for him (insert sarcasm now).  I think it's kinda ridiculous that because you are a celebrity-athlete, you get all these perks like signing with a golf company because you happen to enjoy playing the sport.  Will Ping benefit from Michael Phelps having a Ping bag when he plays in random Pro-Ams?  Probably not, in my opinion.  I can understand former athletes who play golf recreationally, ie. Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, who probably get free clubs from their long -time sponsor, NIKE.  I highly doubt they are getting paid to PLAY Nike clubs.  I'd love to see what this Ping deal involves for Phelps.  Hey Ping, my HC is a million times better than Michael Phelps...how 'bout you pay me to play Ping when I play for fun on the weekends :)

MJ plays PING clubs.  It really chaps the Nike crew....

Also how is it ridiculous?  It's part of marketing.  Visibility is never a bad thing.  It couldn't possibly be bad.

I understand the marketing aspect of it.  I just think it's silly since Phelps isn't making a living playing golf.  Why does he need an equipment sponsor?

He doesn't.  It's Ping who benefits.  No different than Subway. Do you think Phelps needed a sandwich sponsor?

#84 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 4563

Posted 05 February 2013 - 08:20 AM

View PostBrianm423, on 30 January 2013 - 01:47 PM, said:

View Postmws92, on 30 January 2013 - 11:33 AM, said:

View Postmws92, on 30 January 2013 - 11:30 AM, said:

View PostBrianm423, on 30 January 2013 - 11:00 AM, said:

View Posteyewipe, on 30 January 2013 - 10:16 AM, said:

Unless there is an elite tour which rewards precision duck hooks it would appear he's just one of those fortunate celeb. types that walks into all the good stuff!

Good for him (insert sarcasm now).  I think it's kinda ridiculous that because you are a celebrity-athlete, you get all these perks like signing with a golf company because you happen to enjoy playing the sport.  Will Ping benefit from Michael Phelps having a Ping bag when he plays in random Pro-Ams?  Probably not, in my opinion.  I can understand former athletes who play golf recreationally, ie. Michael Jordan, Jerry Rice, who probably get free clubs from their long -time sponsor, NIKE.  I highly doubt they are getting paid to PLAY Nike clubs.  I'd love to see what this Ping deal involves for Phelps.  Hey Ping, my HC is a million times better than Michael Phelps...how 'bout you pay me to play Ping when I play for fun on the weekends :)

MJ plays PING clubs.  It really chaps the Nike crew....

Also how is it ridiculous?  It's part of marketing.  Visibility is never a bad thing.  It couldn't possibly be bad.

I understand the marketing aspect of it.  I just think it's silly since Phelps isn't making a living playing golf.  Why does he need an equipment sponsor?

Why is it silly? He's going to be on TV every week for the next 12 weeks or so on The Haney Project. It's a good idea by Ping.

#85 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 461

Posted 05 February 2013 - 11:55 AM

Was thinking this might be a better sponsor fit:

Posted Image