Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Oak Point Kiawah

South Carolina Kiawah Oak Point

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Handicap:16.7
  • Ebay ID:Papajohick
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Sooooo a friend of mine has some great savings for golf he gets in a booklet every year and one of them is getting a discounted price at Oak Point down on Kiawah. I have been looking around here for a bit and haven't seem to find any love for the course, and I'm just wondering why? I mean I have read about how great the other courses are around there, but not much talk of this one. We are going to go play Saturday and just want a heads up of how it plays, and any helpful tidbits.

PS I just moved to Charleston so I'm not too worried about missing out on the other courses. I don't plan on moving away any time soon, so I'll have many years to look forward playing the Ocean course and the others.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 cottonseed

cottonseed

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117277
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

I played Oak Point about 6 or 7 years ago.  I thought it was an enjoyable course and don't recall anything outright bad about it.  I think that because it is located away from the resort it probably doesn't get a whole lot of play.  I'm sure you'll enjoy it and have a great time.

#3 GPoppaPump

GPoppaPump

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117613
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

I just played Oak Point, along with all 6 other courses at Kiawah (4 resort, 2 private), this past April.  I think the trouble with Oak Point is that it gets compared to the courses that are around it.  I thought the course was very enjoyable (I liked it more than Rivertowne in Charleston).  Note that it is the only course of the resort that is not located on Kiawah Island (just down the road off the island).  I do admit that it is a step below the other resort courses (Cougar, Osprey, Turtle, and of course the Ocean), but if you are getting it on the cheap, its a course you shouldn't pass up.

Side note, one thing you should investigate is the replay rate for the resort courses.  I'm pretty sure if you got onto Kiawah Island (or called ahead to Cougar point to arrange a tee time in afternoon), you can get a replay for about $75 for Cougar.  Either way have fun.

#4 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Thanks guys!

Ya haven't attempted to try out rivertowne yet. Too much money for me at the moment. I have gone to legend oaks which is north west towards Summerville and Charleston national which I really liked.

Edited by Papa Johick, 29 January 2013 - 08:41 PM.

#5 BluehoseGolf

BluehoseGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211637
  • Ebay ID:saintsgolf15
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I personally loved rivertowne.  I got the chance to play it right after the LPGA event so I obviously a little biased.  Oak point is a terrible course, but its just so easy from what I remember it.  However I only got to play a couple of holes before it started raining but Im sure it has some decent holes out there.

#6 mpdsr

mpdsr

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200497
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Oak Point is definitely a step below the rest of the resort courses but not a bad value.  Played it only once and like a previous poster was rained out before I finished.

Interestingly, even though it was not originally part of the Kiawah Island resort but rather purchased later, the oak tree that serves as the Kiawah logo is a backdrop on one of the par 3 s of the Oak Point course.

#7 mrfullwm

mrfullwm

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 172703
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:40 AM

I'll echo what some others have said in that Oak Point is a pretty nice course, but it gets compared to and overshadowed by the other courses on Kiawah. It's the redheaded step child of the resort. It has some really nice holes, some that are a little funky but overall it's a pretty fun track.

Depending on where you live Dunes West is probably the best value in the Charleston area. It's a nice layout and the course is always in great shape. I really enjoy Rivertowne but it's way overpriced compared to other non-resort courses in town.

Definitely make sure you get the coupon book next year. It's the best deal in town!

View PostPapa Johick, on 29 January 2013 - 03:30 PM, said:

Sooooo a friend of mine has some great savings for golf he gets in a booklet every year and one of them is getting a discounted price at Oak Point down on Kiawah. I have been looking around here for a bit and haven't seem to find any love for the course, and I'm just wondering why? I mean I have read about how great the other courses are around there, but not much talk of this one. We are going to go play Saturday and just want a heads up of how it plays, and any helpful tidbits.

PS I just moved to Charleston so I'm not too worried about missing out on the other courses. I don't plan on moving away any time soon, so I'll have many years to look forward playing the Ocean course and the others.

Ping G15 9 deg, Fujikura Motore F1 S
Ping i20 15 deg, Project X Black 6.0
Adams a12 Pro 19 deg, Matrix Ozik Altus
Mizuno MP-64 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Vokey 52, 56, KBS Custom S
Ping Scottsdale TR

#8 Reidman

Reidman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Beware of the largest alligator on the planet....can't remember the hole number, but it was the hole with a blind tee shot, and lake on the right.

Was there in January, and not really thinking about alligators during cold weather. Being from Texas...don't really think about alligators on the golf course anyway.

He was on the bank....sunning himself. He was ginormous.
Ping i25 10.5 Matrix White Tie Firm
Adams Tight Lies 14, 19 Bassara S
Adams a12 Pro Irons 4-LW KBS Tour R
SeeMore mFGP 33"
Handicap 4.2
Srizon Z-Star

#9 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

My Girl Duffners

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postmrfullwm, on 30 January 2013 - 09:40 AM, said:

I'll echo what some others have said in that Oak Point is a pretty nice course, but it gets compared to and overshadowed by the other courses on Kiawah. It's the redheaded step child of the resort. It has some really nice holes, some that are a little funky but overall it's a pretty fun track.

Depending on where you live Dunes West is probably the best value in the Charleston area. It's a nice layout and the course is always in great shape. I really enjoy Rivertowne but it's way overpriced compared to other non-resort courses in town.

Definitely make sure you get the coupon book next year. It's the best deal in town!

Ya I plan on it. I was going to this year, he didn't tell me that I had to order it in December.

View PostReidman, on 30 January 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

Beware of the largest alligator on the planet....can't remember the hole number, but it was the hole with a blind tee shot, and lake on the right.

Was there in January, and not really thinking about alligators during cold weather. Being from Texas...don't really think about alligators on the golf course anyway.

He was on the bank....sunning himself. He was ginormous.
Thanks for the heads up haha I didn't think they were out in this colder weather

Edited by Papa Johick, 30 January 2013 - 01:52 PM.

#10 Reidman

Reidman

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 81356
  • Ebay ID:reidman12
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

after a little more research....he was on Hole 12....big lake on the right that you can't see from the tee.

This was in 2007 or so...before phone cameras were the norm. I certainly wish I had one at that moment...its like the big fish that got away story.

Ping i25 10.5 Matrix White Tie Firm
Adams Tight Lies 14, 19 Bassara S
Adams a12 Pro Irons 4-LW KBS Tour R
SeeMore mFGP 33"
Handicap 4.2
Srizon Z-Star

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors