Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pace of Play Question

99 replies to this topic

#91 Kaysquare

Kaysquare

Puppyluv

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76012
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 02 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I've seen more "slow play" threads on every discussion board I've ever been on, and they are all the same.  Slow play is a problem, always has been, & will never be resolved.  Even the pros have issues with slow play.  And every single person I know who is a slow player will not accept the fact that they are slow.  I've found that you can tell someone they're slow in the nicest way possible, or you can tell them point blank "you're pathetically slow", and either way you tell them, you will piss them off.  It's just the way it is!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#92 roll - gybe

roll - gybe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59949
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:23 PM

Hoosier - I'm going to guess your group doesn't lose pace in the first place!

#93 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 214

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:24 AM

View Postroll - gybe, on 03 February 2013 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hoosier - I'm going to guess your group doesn't lose pace in the first place!

don't worry, our group nears the pace of speed golf. just a suggestion to the pokes out there crawling around the course. the problem is, even those that walk slower or generally have a slower pace, there are a ton of ways to speed up play that don't involve the rushing of the shot. common sense and little less laziness goes a long way.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#94 roll - gybe

roll - gybe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59949
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yep, and since you have common sense, you aren't going to have a 20 minute operation to let a group through

But the guys who can't figure out if the sun is shining - those guys make a mess out of letting groups through, and then they just hold up the next group after that.

It's either the guys who have no common sense or the guys who have no respect who hold up the course.  The guys with no common sense can't be trusted to handle a logistical operation of this magnitude.

#95 Augster

Augster

Mr. Fairway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
  • Ebay ID:augster..8
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

View PostShiram, on 29 January 2013 - 09:39 PM, said:

This is a troll right? Tee'ing off on #8 at 2 hour mark? Yer not going to get much love here. :)

It's not a troll, it's a humblebrag.  :)

Next you'll hear of a group that was on the 7th tee at the 2-hour mark with nobody ahead of them and they don't feel slow either.

#96 ennead

ennead

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171046
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:19 AM

View Postroll - gybe, on 06 February 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

Yep, and since you have common sense, you aren't going to have a 20 minute operation to let a group through

But the guys who can't figure out if the sun is shining - those guys make a mess out of letting groups through, and then they just hold up the next group after that.

It's either the guys who have no common sense or the guys who have no respect who hold up the course.  The guys with no common sense can't be trusted to handle a logistical operation of this magnitude.

Yeah, I had to yell at my brother today...he was set in the right side of the fairway, and one of the guys we were playing with was in the water left - he sat there chatting with the water ball guy instead of going to his ball.  GO TO YOUR FREAKING BALL SO YOU CAN HIT AS SOON AS IT IS YOUR TURN.

#97 jim butter

jim butter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130245
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 07 February 2013 - 11:22 PM

View PostGrim, on 29 January 2013 - 02:36 PM, said:

I find it hilarious at the amount of people who do not read.

At no point were we SLOWING anyone down, nor were we dragging our heels.

I can walk 18 holes myself in 2/12 hours playing 6600 to 7100 yards.

The point is at what point does rate of play policies ruin the experience?

Both times we were told to speed up we were either letting a twosome play through or we were 2 holes ahead of the group behind us but 1 hole behind a 2 some ahead of us.

I play golf to have fun and spend time with friends and my family. Not to see how fast I can finish a round.

Also, if there is no one behind you and you want to take your time go for it.

I think some of you are looking too far into this and I know your courses where you play may be packed but the courses we play arent for the most part so we just relax and have a good time. If a course has a 2 hour policy and there is no one behind us for 2 holes, well I am going to take my time and enjoy my day off. Im sorry if it offends someone when we are doing this and not slowing a single group down.

For all of you who are in a hurry to get done, why do you even play the game if you want to finsih in 2 to 3 hours?? Where is the pleasure in hurrying up to get off the course?

In my opinion, whether the Marshall was right or not is debatable. However, if it is taking you 2 hours to play 7 holes with no one holding you up, you are a slow foursome. There is no debate about it. I do not think playing in 3 hours requires anyone to rush. Neither your group, the group ahead of you, or the group behind you. On the other hand, while your group might enjoy spending a lot of time on extra curriculars that slow down the pace of your round. You run the risk of delaying the rounds of those groups behind you.

I personally do not have a problem with you being upset with the way the situation was handled given the particular circumstances outlined. But I think if you looked at it from another perspective you would see why someone would enjoy a 3 hr round. I used to play a nice course 35 minutes from my house but quit going because they never enforced pace of play. The final straw was a Sunday when I drove 35 minutes to the course, spent 20 minutes paying and warming up, waited 20 minutes past my tee time to start, played a 5 1/2 hours round, and drove 35 minutes home.

Almost 7 1/2 hours from the time I left my house until I returned. Instead of golf being an enjoyable part of my day, it became my whole day. Except it really wasn't because I spent a small fraction of that time hitting golf shots. I spent the vast majority of it standing around waiting to hit golf shots. And if I would have played in 3 hours I would have played just as much actual golf. And I would have had 2 more hours of my day off to spend with my family (or more likely headed back to the clubhouse to check on the replay rate).

I understand that you enjoy spending time with your friends. So do I. So enjoy 3 hours of golf together, Talk on your way to your ball. Select your club and take practice swings while your partner hits, swing when it is your turn. Read your putt while your playing partners hit. Take anything inside a foot. Shoot the breeze on the way to the next tee box. Repeat until finished. Then go hang out in the bar, clubhouse, parking lot for 2 hours and enjoy your day off . That should be your 5 hour round.

#98 RickKimbrell

RickKimbrell

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85054
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 19 February 2013 - 12:01 AM

A 4 hour round even for higher handicappers is not out of the question.  Over the years, here are a few things I have observed about slow play.
1.  Many golfers think they are not slow when in fact they are.
2.  Lots of conversation between shots leads to slow play if it continues after reaching the ball and the player should be concentrating on his shot but instead is listening to the conversation still going on. (this is about the worst of my list and it happens all the time).
3.  Not being ready to play when it is your turn.
4.  Not playing good course management, resulting in shots that cost entire group time looking for the result of a shot that never should have been attempted.
5.  Beverage carts
6.  Entire group sits next to guy who is hitting his shot instead of heading over to see what their shots are going to be (unless in front of the guy hitting).
7.  Overthinking every shot
8.  Guy hits a bad shot, spins around in disgust and does not watch it land so he has a idea of where to go look.  Has to rely on his partners to find his shot.

Also, a 4some walking is not necessarily slower than a 4some riding in carts (unless the distance from green to next tee on majority of holes is a long trek).  Back when I started playing again after an accident, I was playing to about a 15 handicap and was playing a lot with guys who were between 15 and 20 handicappers.  We could walk and play 18 holes in under 4 hours as long as the course was open in front of us and it never felt like we were in a race.  4 hours really is a nice leisurely pace.

Edited by RickKimbrell, 19 February 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#99 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 632

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:02 AM

4.  Not playing good course management, resulting in shots that cost entire group time looking for the result of a shot that never should have been attempted.
That's not something that many mid-high cappers are in full control of. Even the pros have their errant tee shots. The difference being the crowd usually knows/finds where the pros ball went.

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#100 Hateto3Putt

Hateto3Putt

Smoking Makes You Look Cool!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,150 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17461
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 19 February 2013 - 08:30 AM

View PostRickKimbrell, on 19 February 2013 - 12:01 AM, said:

1.  Many ALL SLOW golfers think they are not slow when in fact they are.

I fixed that for you.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors