Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Can anyone explain why Tiger can hit irons so well and driver so bad?

184 replies to this topic

#1 tylerdurden

tylerdurden

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132912
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

I don't understand this at all. He's been really impressive with irons and driver is just awful. What gives? any ideas? Please don't tell me it's equipment.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 QMany

QMany

Flush Sprayer

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113894
  • Handicap:2.1
GolfWRX Likes : 999

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Wasn't he leading in driving distance and fifth in driving accuracy?
SLDR (10.5) Elements Chrome F4T
Stage 2 Tour (14.5) VS Proto 80
Stage 2 Tour (17.5) Black Tie Hm3 95
To be determined ...
TP MB-MC (4-PW) KBS Tour
TP (54 and 60) KBS Tour

#3 jay65

jay65

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206889
GolfWRX Likes : 148

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

Personally I would like to see him with a heavier shaft in his Driver.

#4 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 2010

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

The swing pattern he is using is too steep and his arms don't have enough room.

I criticized his swing on my blog and got lots of haters after the results this week.

You can hit the driver 50-100 yards off line at Torrey Pines and still shoot low.  Tiger judges himself on majors and he won't win majors with this swing because driver will not hold up under major pressure.

Edited by MonteScheinblum, 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM.

Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#5 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 565

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I don't know that his driver has been awful...wasn't he at (near) the top in total driving over rnds 1 and 2???

#6 HappyGolf

HappyGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119650
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

I'm not enjoying seeing him try to hit fades from a square stance... too easy to sneak the face closed and pull 'em, would rather see him 20 degrees open (lined up down the left side).

#7 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

View PostHappyGolf, on 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

I'm not enjoying seeing him try to hit fades from a square stance... too easy to sneak the face closed and pull 'em, would rather see him 20 degrees open (lined up down the left side).

Good call.  Especially he way he is swinging.
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#8 tylerdurden

tylerdurden

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

In terms of the stats on his driving, I don't buy it for 2 reasons. 1, he is amazing with stinger irons and 3 woods. Hits them a mile, doesn't miss them as much, so it inflates his stats. and 2, generally really good drivers don't miss it off the map and on both sides so often. Not even using Hogan as a benchmark, but I think Jack was much last likely to spray his driver than tiger, and tiger is probably a better iron player. But by can't drive it, I mean with his driver, not with 3 iron or 3 wood which he can mash.

View Posttopekareal, on 28 January 2013 - 03:12 PM, said:

I don't know that his driver has been awful...wasn't he at (near) the top in total driving over rnds 1 and 2???

#9 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,246 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 565

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 28 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

I don't know enough about the swing to answer my own question, so I'll toss it out there...Maybe Monte has some good insight....if his swing is ill-suited to drive it straight consistently, what does he need to do to fix it?

#10 FairwayGolfUSA.com

FairwayGolfUSA.com

Major Winner

• Sponsors
  • 1,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185658
GolfWRX Likes : 94

You really realize how good Tiger is when his not playing his best and leading the field by 6 strokes. I am really enjoying seeing him leading tournaments again.

RYAN

Fairway Golf Online Store :golfer:
Email: cs@fairwaygolfusa.com
Phone: 1-877-509-0830

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 tylerdurden

tylerdurden

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 28 January 2013 - 03:09 PM, said:

I criticized his swing on my blog and got lots of haters after the results this week.

You can hit the driver 50-100 yards off line at Torrey Pines and still shoot low.  Tiger judges himself on majors and he won't win majors with this swing because driver will not hold up under major pressure.
Monte, could you do a video on Tiger and why the pattern has so many issues with the driver? I'd love to see it. I'm sure we could all learn from it. I'll check out your blog too, I didn't realize you had one.

#12 tylerdurden

tylerdurden

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

View PostFairwayGolfUSA.com, on 28 January 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

You really realize how good Tiger is when his not playing his best and leading the field by 6 strokes. I am really enjoying seeing him leading tournaments again.

RYAN
DITTO, I'm a huge Tiger fan, I just wish he could hit the big stick consistently strait because he'd be a world beater and I'd love to see Brandel's reaction and Wayne D make a told-you-so video lol.

#13 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• 17,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1628

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

View Posttylerdurden, on 28 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

Monte, could you do a video on Tiger and why the pattern has so many issues with the driver? I'd love to see it. I'm sure we could all learn from it. I'll check out your blog too, I didn't realize you had one.

Will cost you 5K and hook him up with a hot model. Only being fair.
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#14 HappyGolf

HappyGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119650
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

This is the way to do it... aimed at the left bunker and sliding it off of it.....

#15 ej002

ej002

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27552
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

He was hitting his driver really well days one and two and round three. Not many stingers or 3 woods at all.  He looked good, also his misses were minimal.  I am not sure how you get terrible from that.  As of about mid-way through the 3rd, he was 1st in overall distance and 5th in accuracy.   I think he  would take that any day.   It seems like when he sets up to hit a draw, he loses his rythem and messes him up for a few holes.  Stick with the fade and leave it alone.

#16 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

The Mad Bomber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,421 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 28 January 2013 - 03:24 PM, said:

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 28 January 2013 - 03:13 PM, said:

I don't know enough about the swing to answer my own question, so I'll toss it out there...Maybe Monte has some good insight....if his swing is ill-suited to drive it straight consistently, what does he need to do to fix it?

I have said this for a few years.  He has always had the driver face coming in open to the path, the path often to far in to out and that's because his left arm is under rotated.  When he stalls and flips, it's left, when he continues through you get that sword twirling block off the planet.

Now his angle of attack is steeper, so rotating the left arm would steepen the shaft and maybe make things worse.  That being the case, he needs way more secondary tilt at impact to make room for his arms and allow him to rotate that left arm from the top.

All of this would minimize the affect of how much he squats in transition, which I also say is too much.  His head would probably drop to the same position if he tilted more than squatting, but his arms would double the amount of room they have.

So it's not about his head level that the talking heads complain about...it's how he is getting o hat level.
Pulling the handle
I am so so steep
Shankopotomus finds me
I am Gavrilo Princip

#17 naj959

naj959

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66497
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

View Posttylerdurden, on 28 January 2013 - 03:25 PM, said:

+1 I'm a Tiger fan but I don't know how anyone could call him a great driver of the ball and keep a straight face. Seems like when the pressure is on the driver gets very unpredictable. A video on why things get bad with the big stick would be very informative.

#18 chirotennis

chirotennis

The man with the Iron Thumbs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189796
  • Handicap:~15
  • Ebay ID:chirotennis
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Just crazy to see that ball fly, with all of his struggles I almost forgot what it looked like to see Tiger strike the ball like this...  244 yd 5i, unbelievable...  And to see that bunker shot, makes me sick...
A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
WITB Link

#19 Jamboy72

Jamboy72