Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

49ers or Ravens?

76 replies to this topic

#61 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34586
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:17 PM

View Postbubbagump, on 03 February 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostCHARGERS, on 02 February 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

A lot of ravens haters, but that's par for the course. No way the the niners should be favorites, just like the last two games for the ravens. Kapernick has never played a defense this strong, just ask Brady and Peyton.
Ravens win 23-13
Ps. And yes, Flacco is elite

Bears, Packers, Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks......all ranked higher than the Ravens....all year.  To play devils advocate, its probably more accurate to say that the Ravens havent played an offense like the 49ers.  Only thing similar was the Redskins, and they lost.  But needless to say, it all doesnt matter.  Both teams have had 2 weeks to prepare and they will be ready for each other.  

Not predicting, just pointing out some inaccuracy.
please point out my inaccuracy in more depth, the ravens held manning to a couple td's and picked him off twice one a pick six and one to win the game.
Then they held Brady to ONE touchdown and all of this on the road. Both teams had two off the best qbs and offenses going into the playoffs.
oh yeah I forgot about Luck, because he was a non factor as they were blown off the field.
Yes the ravens did lose to the redskins, but they lost to Cousins not rg3 who they knocked out of the game...Ray Lewis was on the bench by the way, along with some other key players who were injuried.
Kapernick has potential to be a great nfl qb as he and his team matures incuding the head coach. But, First and goal from the 5 and a stuffed 2 pt conversion all late in the game says a lot about the ravens d and Ray Lewis.  

As for the Bears, Packers, Cardinals, Rams not sure what they did in the playoffs this year.

Its OK to hate....but the Ravens D and Ray Lewis all stepped up big time this post season

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 fairways4life

fairways4life

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 04 February 2013 - 09:13 PM

Watching PTI today and they were talking about Cary Williams and how he should've been ejected for shoving that ref. He wasn't even flagged for that let alone tossed. That should've been the first sign that the niners weren't going to get calls. That would've been huge because he is a starting cornerback so with him gone they would've had a backup in there covering the niners starting receivers the rest of the game. I forgot how bad it was until I saw the replays today on PTI. Crazy they let him do that.

#63 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:48 PM

How about the hit on flacco which was way out of bounds, no call there either
The refs just laid down and let them play
Jimmy smith could step in for Williams

#64 PedronNiall

PedronNiall

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135461
GolfWRX Likes : 146

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:50 PM

View Postfairways4life, on 04 February 2013 - 09:13 PM, said:

Watching PTI today and they were talking about Cary Williams and how he should've been ejected for shoving that ref. He wasn't even flagged for that let alone tossed. That should've been the first sign that the niners weren't going to get calls. That would've been huge because he is a starting cornerback so with him gone they would've had a backup in there covering the niners starting receivers the rest of the game. I forgot how bad it was until I saw the replays today on PTI. Crazy they let him do that.

It was the ref's choice not to toss the flag. Clearly in the moment he felt that it wasn't needed and it was best to just calm the situation down

Still think the holding call on SF's last play should have been called though. Didn't really care who won, but wasn't too fond of that.

#65 rainkingjr

rainkingjr

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52783
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm happy.

#66 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• 4,809 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83989
  • Handicap:17.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1007

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Postrainkingjr, on 04 February 2013 - 10:57 PM, said:

I'm happy.

I cosign
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#67 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:24 AM

He may not have been ejected, but I assure you he's received a lil letter form the Commish! Some of that winning check will(should) be going to charity!

#68 xThor

xThor

#CALLAWRX2

• 976 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131794
GolfWRX Likes : 299

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

On the last play for SF:

Mike Pereira confirmed earlier that it was the correct call not to call a penalty. He's the former head of NFL referees.

It simply cannot be holding, as the ball was in the air at the time. By Rule, the ONLY penalty that could have been called is pass interference. He went on to say he didn't see any contact that impeded the 49er receiver, and the ball was likely uncatchable. Therefore,  no penalty.

So to those asking why holding penalty was not called: because they cannot call a holding penalty when the ball has been thrown.

I hope that clears it up.

Edited by xThor, 05 February 2013 - 03:13 AM.

Odyssey Inked
#CALLAWRX2 12-04-13

#69 RookieBlue7

RookieBlue7

Hall of Fame

• 8,776 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50335
GolfWRX Likes : 622

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:30 AM

View PostNYKnuckleballer, on 04 February 2013 - 08:23 AM, said:

View PostRookieBlue7, on 04 February 2013 - 08:12 AM, said:

The intentional safety, they call and accept that penalty, they replay the down with 7 seconds on the clock.  Run the same play, run the clock out.

When the safety happens in the end zone, the penalty is enforced.  There is no replay.

The loophole is the safety is enforced, they still run all that time off the clock and still punt with the same time on the clock.  Forgot about the loophole.  Regardless, the outcome is the same, still punt from the 20 with no time left.

#70 bubbagump

bubbagump

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114646
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 05 February 2013 - 06:43 AM

View PostCHARGERS, on 04 February 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

View Postbubbagump, on 03 February 2013 - 02:22 PM, said:

View PostCHARGERS, on 02 February 2013 - 06:48 PM, said:

A lot of ravens haters, but that's par for the course. No way the the niners should be favorites, just like the last two games for the ravens. Kapernick has never played a defense this strong, just ask Brady and Peyton.
Ravens win 23-13
Ps. And yes, Flacco is elite

Bears, Packers, Cardinals, Rams, Seahawks......all ranked higher than the Ravens....all year.  To play devils advocate, its probably more accurate to say that the Ravens havent played an offense like the 49ers.  Only thing similar was the Redskins, and they lost.  But needless to say, it all doesnt matter.  Both teams have had 2 weeks to prepare and they will be ready for each other.  

Not predicting, just pointing out some inaccuracy.
please point out my inaccuracy in more depth, the ravens held manning to a couple td's and picked him off twice one a pick six and one to win the game.
Then they held Brady to ONE touchdown and all of this on the road. Both teams had two off the best qbs and offenses going into the playoffs.
oh yeah I forgot about Luck, because he was a non factor as they were blown off the field.
Yes the ravens did lose to the redskins, but they lost to Cousins not rg3 who they knocked out of the game...Ray Lewis was on the bench by the way, along with some other key players who were injuried.
Kapernick has potential to be a great nfl qb as he and his team matures incuding the head coach. But, First and goal from the 5 and a stuffed 2 pt conversion all late in the game says a lot about the ravens d and Ray Lewis.  

As for the Bears, Packers, Cardinals, Rams not sure what they did in the playoffs this year.

Its OK to hate....but the Ravens D and Ray Lewis all stepped up big time this post season

Im not hating, upset or trying to argue.  Was just trying to say, the niners did play more than a few defenses that were better than the Ravens throughout the season(which you said they had not).  Niners moved the ball during the game, but the Ravens did great with bending but not breaking and getting some key stops (something the Niners couldnt do) or keeping it to field goals.  They played that way all during the playoffs.  They gave up lots of yards and sometimes points, but got some key stops/turrnovers when they needed in each game.  I think you are over valuing Ray Lewis a bit, he was a big liability all game Sunday.  Missed more than a few tackles in the hole which then went for bigger gains or first downs, and couldn't cover Vernon Davis when it was his assignment.  Ravens offense also was putting up points all playoffs, which helps out alot.  Im not sure if they were only scoring 14 points a game that the defense was shutting teams completely down.  Really no team in the playoffs did that.

Great job done by the Ravens, had enough to stay the course and take it home.  Im not discrediting them at all, but was just stating my opinion on what I thought was an offbase claim.

Edited by bubbagump, 05 February 2013 - 07:00 AM.

9* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
14* 3w TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
19* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 9.8
5-PW TM 2009 Tour Preferred SS PX 6.5
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport
52*, 58* , 62* Vokeys with project x
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 fairways4life

fairways4life

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 09:46 AM

View PostxThor, on 05 February 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

On the last play for SF:

Mike Pereira confirmed earlier that it was the correct call not to call a penalty. He's the former head of NFL referees.

It simply cannot be holding, as the ball was in the air at the time. By Rule, the ONLY penalty that could have been called is pass interference. He went on to say he didn't see any contact that impeded the 49er receiver, and the ball was likely uncatchable. Therefore,  no penalty.

So to those asking why holding penalty was not called: because they cannot call a holding penalty when the ball has been thrown.

I think a lot of the stink being made about the officiating was not just that particular play itself (which personally I could go either way on it). I think the fuss being made stems more from the big picture. Baltimore was only flagged for 2 penalties all game, only one of which was on defense. They had zero holding calls and zero pass interference calls (probably the 2 most commonly called penalties). How many games this year did a team have zero holding calls and zero pass interference calls? My guess would be not many, if any.

I think if Baltimore had been flagged 5 or 6 times during the game than the general consensus would be "well they got away with some stuff but they also got flagged for some stuff." But that wasn't the case. In actuality they got away with some stuff but weren't really flagged for anything. And I think that's where the heat is coming from. SF was waiting all game long to get a call and it just never came. When it didn't come at the end, it boiled over.

I understand the thing about "letting them play" (to an extent anyway; can't just change the rules for the most important game of the year). But on Baltimore's last possession they were faced with a third down and threw incomplete. They would've had to punt but Chris Culliver was called for pass interference. Automatic first down, drive stays alive and they go down to kick a field goal which turned out to be the deciding points. They decided not to "let them play" in that situation. But the fact that they decided to throw a flag in such a crucial situation when Baltimore had the ball makes me feel like they should've done the same when SF had the ball. Letting them play is all fine and dandy but if they pull the flag on Cullivers they needed to do the same at the end. There were 3 consecutive plays on that goal line stand where there were no-calls in Baltimore's favor (the pass interference on 2nd and 4th downs and the helmet hit on 3rd down). So one defensive penalty all game and three straight plays with defensive no-calls. I can understand the bitterness.

Baltimore even got away with shoving a ref, something that would have been an automatic ejection in any other game. If the refs don't even throw a flag for shoving them than I guess we shouldn't expect them to throw a flag for a holding or pass interference.

Letting them play is fine, but if you're letting them play than one team shouldn't end up with 2 and 1/2 times as many penalties as the other. In a game decided by just 3 points, that can make all the difference. So I think that's what led to all the fuss. If Baltimore had been given their share of penalties throughout the game but got away with what they got away with at the end, I don't think we'd be hearing quite as much noise about it (still some, yes, but I think there would be more of an understanding about those no-calls.) But Baltimore essentially went the whole game being no-called and it built up as the game went on. By the last possession, SF was thinking they were due to finally get a call and they still didn't. I don't think they wanted a pass interference on that play. I think they wanted at least just one to be called at some point in the game, especially considering they called one on SF during a critical point.

As I've said in my other posts, I'm not a niners fan and wasn't rooting for either team. You can certainly disagree with me but just don't paint me as a whiny niners fan. Just an objective viewer who feels like the officiating wasn't up to super bowl standards, that's all. I won't take anything away from Baltimore. It was an amazing playoff run and they deserve it. I doubt it will be Flacco's last super bowl. He's a gamer. As impressive as the niners were this year, I think it just wasn't their time yet. Probably still a year or two away from getting it done. Congrats to the Ravens and whether you love him or hate him, there's no denying what Ray Lewis brought to the field every week for 15 years (or however long it was).

Just one armchair quarterback's opinion.

Edited by fairways4life, 05 February 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#72 bubbagump

bubbagump

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114646
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

An interesting bit on the officials that I read in the 2 weeks before the game.

In order to do a SB game you must have done a conference championship game and have good ratings throughout the current season.  Something that Boger didn't have.  He had never done a championship game, and he had a few less than stellar reviews.  There was more than a few veteran refs that were quite upset about how the league all of a sudden went above their own rules to put Boger in the game.

Just was an interesting bit about it.  For sure saw a lot less called than some of the no calls Sunday, but we also had lots of self inflicted wounds.  Oh well

Edited by bubbagump, 05 February 2013 - 10:13 AM.

9* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
14* 3w TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 7.2
19* TM SLDR, Fujikura TS Speeder 9.8
5-PW TM 2009 Tour Preferred SS PX 6.5
Scotty Cameron Custom Shop Newport
52*, 58* , 62* Vokeys with project x
WITB Link

#73 fairways4life

fairways4life

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:17 AM

One of the things I love so much about golf is the purity of it. There's no debate about fouls, calls, strikes or balls or anything like that. If you took 74 strokes and I took 75 than you beat me and there's no way to argue it.

well, unless you're Dustin Johnson maybe.....

#74 baseballfrk8998

baseballfrk8998

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124978
GolfWRX Likes : 568

Posted 05 February 2013 - 12:46 PM

I don't think the hit on Flacco was late. He was going OB, obviously, but his foot hadn't touched down before he was hit. I thought it was perfectly clean and I probably would have done the same.

I think the entire momentum thing with the lights going out was absolutely overplayed. It's not like SF went nuts as soon as the lights came back on. They had a 3rd and 14, failed to get a 1st down and had to punt to Baltimore. If anything, that punt shifted momentum back over to Baltimore. That outage wasn't much different than the halftime break and what was the first thing to happen after halftime? The whole power outage thing is a big, overblown excuse for Baltimore going to crap and getting extremely lucky to pull that out.
8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
19* SLDR Resuce // Speeder 9.3s
RocketBladez Tour 4-PW // C-Taper
52* & 58* Callaway MD2 // S-300
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1

#75 Joe26

Joe26

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176956
  • Handicap:16.7
  • Ebay ID:Tyrod_5
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 05 February 2013 - 03:08 PM

Happy for Tyrod.

Attached Thumbnails

• Tyrod.jpg

BC+
Super 9031 20* & 23*
G25 7-U, G15 5-6
White Hot Pro #7
Tour S 56* & 60*

#76 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:21 PM

View Postfairways4life, on 05 February 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

View PostxThor, on 05 February 2013 - 03:09 AM, said:

On the last play for SF:

I think a lot of the stink being made about the officiating was not just that particular play itself (which personally I could go either way on it). I think the fuss being made stems more from the big picture. Baltimore was only flagged for 2 penalties all game, only one of which was on defense. They had zero holding calls and zero pass interference calls (probably the 2 most commonly called penalties). How many games this year did a team have zero holding calls and zero pass interference calls? My guess would be not many, if any.

I think if Baltimore had been flagged 5 or 6 times during the game than the general consensus would be "well they got away with some stuff but they also got flagged for some stuff." But that wasn't the case. In actuality they got away with some stuff but weren't really flagged for anything. And I think that's where the heat is coming from. SF was waiting all game long to get a call and it just never came. When it didn't come at the end, it boiled over.

I understand the thing about "letting them play" (to an extent anyway; can't just change the rules for the most important game of the year). But on Baltimore's last possession they were faced with a third down and threw incomplete. They would've had to punt but Chris Culliver was called for pass interference. Automatic first down, drive stays alive and they go down to kick a field goal which turned out to be the deciding points. They decided not to "let them play" in that situation. But the fact that they decided to throw a flag in such a crucial situation when Baltimore had the ball makes me feel like they should've done the same when SF had the ball. Letting them play is all fine and dandy but if they pull the flag on Cullivers they needed to do the same at the end. There were 3 consecutive plays on that goal line stand where there were no-calls in Baltimore's favor (the pass interference on 2nd and 4th downs and the helmet hit on 3rd down). So one defensive penalty all game and three straight plays with defensive no-calls. I can understand the bitterness.

Baltimore even got away with shoving a ref, something that would have been an automatic ejection in any other game. If the refs don't even throw a flag for shoving them than I guess we shouldn't expect them to throw a flag for a holding or pass interference.

Letting them play is fine, but if you're letting them play than one team shouldn't end up with 2 and 1/2 times as many penalties as the other. In a game decided by just 3 points, that can make all the difference. So I think that's what led to all the fuss. If Baltimore had been given their share of penalties throughout the game but got away with what they got away with at the end, I don't think we'd be hearing quite as much noise about it (still some, yes, but I think there would be more of an understanding about those no-calls.) But Baltimore essentially went the whole game being no-called and it built up as the game went on. By the last possession, SF was thinking they were due to finally get a call and they still didn't. I don't think they wanted a pass interference on that play. I think they wanted at least just one to be called at some point in the game, especially considering they called one on SF during a critical point.

As I've said in my other posts, I'm not a niners fan and wasn't rooting for either team. You can certainly disagree with me but just don't paint me as a whiny niners fan. Just an objective viewer who feels like the officiating wasn't up to super bowl standards, that's all. I won't take anything away from Baltimore. It was an amazing playoff run and they deserve it. I doubt it will be Flacco's last super bowl. He's a gamer. As impressive as the niners were this year, I think it just wasn't their time yet. Probably still a year or two away from getting it done. Congrats to the Ravens and whether you love him or hate him, there's no denying what Ray Lewis brought to the field every week for 15 years (or however long it was).

Just one armchair quarterback's opinion.
well done, nice reply

#77 CHARGERS

CHARGERS

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2013 - 05:25 PM

I just heard on the radio about a rumor going around that is was a pissed off Saints fan who somehow caused the power outage, in attempt to payback the NFL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors