Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Range net relief and out of bounds marker question...

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 midnightbui

midnightbui

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32493
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

Hey guys, i have a couple rules that i need help on.  I cannot find this anywhere in the usga rules or online.  So first off, I hit my ball and duck hooked it towards the range, I hit the net blocking off the range and my ball came straight down, but not on the other side of the actual range.  My first question is this,  The golf club had white stakes nailed to the pole that holds up the net and i was right against the net, Am i out of bounds?  I figured that the white stakes on the pole just meant that it is indicating that the NET is out of bounds right?  My friend said that i was out of bounds cause if he drew an imaginary line from the out of bounds pole to pole, i would be out of bounds, which is technically correct but in this case, i dont think so since it is referring to the net i believe.  My second question is this, i think i already know this answer but just wanted to throw this out there,  In the same scenerio, do i get a free drop being that i cannot swing my club due to a man-made net?  I believe i do not get a drop but then again i cannot find this answer anywhere.  Can anyone help me clarify this up.

Oh since im here, i might as well throw out this last rule that no one seems to give me a definitive answer.  So lets say i hit my ball towards water on the right and it sliced in,  Do i drop it on the line it sliced in or do i make an imaginary line no closer to the flag where my ball went in and drop it.  Also do i follow the line as far back as i want, or is it a two club drop.

Please help,  Ive been playing for 15 years and i really do not know the actual answers to these.  Thanks in advance

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 257

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

The definition of out of bounds on the USGA website is pretty straight forward:

OB.jpg

Any time you taking a penalty stroke there are three options available:
1. Two club lengths no nearer the hole take a drop where it crossed the hazard.
2. Re-hit from the previous spot
3. drop on a line between where the ball crossed hazard and the pin. can go as far back as desired.
PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Queen B Model 3 putter
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56

#3 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 609

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

View Postmidnightbui, on 28 January 2013 - 02:18 PM, said:

The golf club had white stakes nailed to the pole that holds up the net and i was right against the net, Am i out of bounds?  

What does the card/local rule say about the net? If it doesn't say anything regarding the OB/net issue, then the stakes are the OB line. OOB Rules: http://www.usga.org/...f-Golf/Rule-27/

My second question is this, In the same scenerio, do i get a free drop being that i cannot swing my club due to a man-made net?  I believe i do not get a drop but then again i cannot find this answer anywhere.  Can anyone help me clarify this up.

I believe you're OB unless the card/local rule states otherwise. So you would proceed under OB rules. However, White stakes usually mean once crossed, you're OB (unless your ball clear the other set of stakes on the other side of OB, like a road or range).

So lets say i hit my ball towards water on the right and it sliced in,  Do i drop it on the line it sliced in or do i make an imaginary line no closer to the flag where my ball went in and drop it.  Also do i follow the line as far back as i want, or is it a two club drop.

Water Hazards: http://www.usga.org/...f-Golf/Rule-26/

--kC

Edited by Imp, 28 January 2013 - 02:34 PM.

RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#4 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:01 PM

View Postesketores, on 28 January 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Any time you taking a penalty stroke there are three options available:
1. Two club lengths no nearer the hole take a drop where it crossed the hazard.
2. Re-hit from the previous spot
3. drop on a line between where the ball crossed hazard and the pin. can go as far back as desired.

Simply not true.  Points 2 and 3 are available for a water hazard (yellow stakes or lines) but point 1 is only available, as an additional option, for a lateral water hazard (red stakes or lines).  See Rule 26-1.

#5 midnightbui

midnightbui

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

Thanks guys,  makes more sense now,  At that specific course, the scorecard says out of bounds are clearly marked and that driving range net is out of bounds if on the other side of it.

#6 rogolf

rogolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123050
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

View Postmidnightbui, on 28 January 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

Thanks guys,  makes more sense now,  At that specific course, the scorecard says out of bounds are clearly marked and that driving range net is out of bounds if on the other side of it.

That's a terrible way to write the information regarding the OOB when there are white stakes nailed to the driving range posts!  Lots of potential for confusion.  Of course the ball is OOB if it's on the other side of the net - the ball is beyond the white stakes.

#7 midnightbui

midnightbui

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

View Postrogolf, on 28 January 2013 - 05:24 PM, said:

View Postmidnightbui, on 28 January 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

That's a terrible way to write the information regarding the OOB when there are white stakes nailed to the driving range posts!  Lots of potential for confusion.  Of course the ball is OOB if it's on the other side of the net - the ball is beyond the white stakes.

haha, i didnt read it that way, but yeah it is confusing, why put stakes up at all.  lol

#8 Sawgrass

Sawgrass

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83736
GolfWRX Likes : 1356

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

By the way,  you only get free relief from a net if the net is not either out of bounds or marking out of bounds.  If a man-made fence or net or something is in bounds, and a local rule isn't in effect which changes the basic rule, you get free relief from that immovable obstruction.

#9 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Water Hazard1.jpg
lat water.jpg
water hazard.jpg

We'll have to agree to disagree.
Titleist 913Hd 20
Queen B Model 3 putter

#10 Mr. Herbert

Mr. Herbert

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77823
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

View Postesketores, on 28 January 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Attachment Water Hazard1.jpg
Attachment lat water.jpg
Attachment water hazard.jpg

A and B are for all water hazards.  C is only applicable to a lateral water hazard.  As Rogolf stated earlier.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Augster

Augster

Mr. Fairway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
  • Ebay ID:augster..8
GolfWRX Likes : 174

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

View Postesketores, on 28 January 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Not to pile on or anything, as rogolf, and Mr. Herbert said, option C of 26-1, where you get to drop within two club lengths of point last crossed is only available for a LATERAL WATER HAZARD which it clearly states in 26-1c.

I think you meant you'll have to agree to agree.

#12 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

I do believe I will agree to agree.
Titleist 913Hd 20
Queen B Model 3 putter

#13 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 609

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

View PostSawgrass, on 28 January 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

By the way,  you only get free relief from a net if the net is not either out of bounds or marking out of bounds.  If a man-made fence or net or something is in bounds, and a local rule isn't in effect which changes the basic rule, you get free relief from that immovable obstruction.
And as I mentioned "unless there's a local rule in effect", and there was, a badly worded one... I'd abuse the hell out of that rule and try to get my free drop from the net! :lol:

--kC

Edited by Imp, 28 January 2013 - 09:25 PM.

RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors