Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Oban kiyoshi or devotion in titleist 913 d3

Oban devotion kiyoshi titleis

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Angus08

Angus08

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89641
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

Currently play a 8.5 degree  910d3 w/. RIP 60 alpha stiff.

Looking to order a 8.5 degree 913d3 with 65 gram Oban Kiyoshi or devotion in 4 or 5 flex.

Interested in keeping low 2k spin numbers with a little higher launch.  I have a quick transition with a swing speed 107-110 mph.  

Has anyone played kiyoshi(purple, black or white) or devotion 6?  Can anyone chime in here on some advice on Bon shaft selection and xflex or stiff in oban?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 scottvw13

scottvw13

VaporWRX!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,058 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16059
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 457

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I've played all of those shafts.

It depends on what you need, as they are all very very different.

Purple and white are butt soft, mid to low spin.  Very soft feeling.

The black is mid launch low spin and very stable.

The devotion is very firm feeling and low launch and spin

#3 BluehoseGolf

BluehoseGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211637
  • Ebay ID:saintsgolf15
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

The purple is a much higher launching shaft.  If you like a low launching shaft then go with either the black or the devotion.  Any oban will be a good shaft.  Definitely get a 05 flex, you will thank yourself later.

#4 whatshannenin

whatshannenin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39849
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

Find a place and get fit.  Oban's are very hard to blind fit just by specs.  Everyone's perception and feel is very different.  I had to go up to XX in the Devoation and tip it 1" to make it feel normal in a fwy.  I currently play Kiyoshi Purple X tipped 1.5" in driver and Black Tipped 2" in Fwy's.  My SS is 118 with driver, if that helps.

#5 jasonTeI3

jasonTeI3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118275
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 28 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

I have a Kiyoshi 6 purple 04 flex in my razr hawk and I think I could definitely use the 05 flex. My SS is 104-106 and quick transition. I have a devotion 7 in 04 flex coming in a G20 but I plan on tipping it 3/4". When you time that Kiyoshi just right though nothing feels better. I'm still getting 14-14.5 launch and spin numbers in the 3200-3400 range though.

#6 PINGWRXforeme

PINGWRXforeme

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117189
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

If you liked the RIP I'd reccommend the devo. I've played all three shafts in different clubs. I loved the RIP in a G15, then I started playing with shafts. Put a kiyoshi in a G15, better feel and higher spin. Moved to a D3 and devo (fit for it) very similar results as the RIP/G15 but slightly better.

#7 James Nash

James Nash

Tasmanator

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93994
  • Ebay ID:Tasmanator
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:03 PM

I own way too many of these shafts and cannot bring myself to sell any. Yet.

I started with an all-black Kiyoshi Prototype 6/04 flex in my 910 D2 about 2 1/2 to 3 years ago, and since basically won't play any other brand of shaft. The proto was/is on the light/soft side, but extremely smooth and 'reliable' I always knew where the head was.

I currently have had a Kiyoshi 6/04 in my 913 D2 ( and previously 910 D2) 10.5 for over 2 years now and love the shaft - it's a mid launch with plenty of hang time and definitely helps lower sidespin - but certainly no silver bullet for poor swings. I am about a 100 s/s and 9 HCP - not that long (260 - 280). I prefer a flat penetrating ballflight as I play a course where the wind often gets up to 25+ knots/ 2 clubs

The Kiyoshi Is extremely smooth and very stable when you consider the smooth feel of the shaft. I have several mates and players at my club (fast ss/+1 to 3 HCPs) on to the shaft now, and all agree it is the business.

I would agree with most that the Kiyoshi plays 1/2 to 1 flex stiffer than most other shafts. I have a 6/03 flex in an Adams 9064LS in my backup bag that I regularly use when playing with my Dad in Sydney and the feel is very similar just as stable, but softer.

The shaft certainly helps me get the ball up in the air, important as I have learned to swing 'right sided' I do not hit 'up' with my driver. (BTW - Peter Kostis has zero idea about the mechanics of RSS)

I have a 7/04 flex Kiyoshi in my 15 deg 910F, which is also fantastic, but have recently acquired 7/05 Devotion in a Ping Anser 14.5 which has kicked the Kiyoshi out. Devo is very light, tight and stable vs. smoother softer Kiyoshi. I also hit this club up to 20 meters further than the titleist and as far as my driver into the wind.

Also have the Devo 8/05 Hybrid in an Adams 22 deg A12 - which is lighter and longer than the 19 deg Titliest 910H/Kiyoshi I was gaming.

Also have tried the Revenge in driver (too light & high), fairway (Very good - great carry) and hybrid (amazing - nearly as good for me as the Devo).

All are great shafts and as good or better than any high end stuff you would find on the market. Bear in mind I like a mid - low ball flight, am not super long and favour accuracy and control over outright distance.

If you can, try before you buy, but otherwise i would recommend a Devo in 05 flex if you like stiff shafts or Kiyoshi in 04 if you favour smooth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors