Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Top Clubfitter in the D.C. Metro Area?


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stimpmeterp

stimpmeterp

    Advanced

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33985
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Washington DC
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

Gents,

Been a long time since I've checked.  There are some old names in this area who have been the go-to choice for fittings.  Who, today, are the top club fitters in the D.C. Area?  I live in Bethesda, but would travel to Northern VA, DC, or towards Frederick, MD if anyone stands out.

Thanks!

Bethesda, MD
7 hcp.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 stimpmeterp

stimpmeterp

    Advanced

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33985
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Washington DC
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

This fell quick!
Bethesda, MD
7 hcp.

#3 detroit59

detroit59

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8891
  • Joined: 12/19/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:55 PM

I think it all depends on what folks consider a "top clubfitter".  I've recently had a fitting at the Golf Fitting Studios in Clifton, VA which was pretty good and a place I'd recommend.

I've summarized my experience there below.

The Good:
- they have both a Trackman and Flightscope LM
- they have a wide range of heads and shafts to test out
- outdoor hitting range (you can see your ball flight)
- they have all the clubfitting/building gadgets (loft/lie machine, freq machine, etc)
- my clubfitter seemed pretty knowlegeable and was very friendly

The Not So Good:
- fitting was done off mats (I had mine done during the winter so I don't know if they normally do fittings on grass or not)
- range balls (I don't think there is really anyway of getting around this one unless you have an indoor fitting)
- long drive (at least it was for me.  I was looking for a place to hit a variety of clubs that had a TM and this was one of the closest)

Overall, I'd definitely recommend this place.  Price wasn't too bad considering you're getting access to a wide range of club options and a TM.

Let me know if you have any questions and I can try and answer.

#4 willboyrd

willboyrd

    Pingsburgh

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36550
  • Joined: 08/06/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:58 PM

What was the cost?
G25 10.5* Fuji Fuel 70s
G25 16.5* 4wood Fuji Motore F3 80s
G25 3-PW KBS Tour S-flex Orange dot
Gorge 50/56/60 KBS Tour S-flex Brown dot
Ping TR Craz-e w/ SS Flatso Mid

#5 40simguy

40simguy

    Advanced

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115062
  • Joined: 09/18/2010
  • Location:Northern Virginia
  • Ebay ID:40simguy
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

I have two in mind but both are quite different.....Golf Tour Trailers (Jerry Donohue specifically) was a great place for a range-based studio and huge selection of OEM products.  If your goal is fitting with possible purchase then that's where I'd go.  I think GTT is in Warrenton, VA (where I went) and the 1757 Club in Dulles.  However, I used another option last year and went to see Mike Bednarcik at Custom Clubs of Frederick.  Unlike some, his was indoor (at his home but a very nice setup using Flightscope).  He's a Wishon dealer/fitter so there were fewer choices.  Having said that, I went there for basically a tune-up to check some of my recent equipment builds.  I did come away with a shaft recommendation for the driver that I still use today and really like (Aerotech Claymore).  Mike's rates were very reasonable - 2 hour on woods and irons for $150.  GTT is not so pocket friendly but you get what you pay for.  As already noted above, I've also heard great things about the fitter based at Westfields GC in Clifton. Good luck.


#6 NTKT10

NTKT10

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57082
  • Joined: 06/02/2008
  • Location:Arlington, VA
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

The Institute at Lake Presidential could be an option, I believe Probowler would be the person to ask for more info.

http://www.lakepresi....com/institute/
Cobra Bio Cell Pro
TEE CB4 15
TEE CB3 18
Romaro Ray V Forged 4-PW
Callaway X Forged 52*/58*
Odyssey Metal-X Milled Versa

#7 TomWishon

TomWishon

    Major Winner

  • Sponsors
  • 2,519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45409
  • Joined: 01/08/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 1345

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

View Poststimpmeterp, on 27 January 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

Gents,

Been a long time since I've checked.  There are some old names in this area who have been the go-to choice for fittings.  Who, today, are the top club fitters in the D.C. Area?  I live in Bethesda, but would travel to Northern VA, DC, or towards Frederick, MD if anyone stands out.

Thanks!

You are MOST FORTUNATE in that one of the nation's very best clubmaker/clubfitters, and that's no BS, lives and works in the area near Frederick, MD.  His name is Mike Bednarcik and he is right at the top when it comes to knowledge, experience and professionalism in the field.  Mike really is one of the best and I have known him from him going to seminars and schools that I have taught in my career for a very long time.

Custom Clubs of Frederick
Mike Bednarcik
7706 Saint George Place
Ijamsville, MD 21754
301-865-6030

Give him a call and talk to him about your game, your swing and your fitting needs.

TOM

#8 gregh729

gregh729

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5637
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 266

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

Webb Heintzleman at Golf Care Center in Bethesda.  He is on Cordell Ave.  He's been around for a long time.  Used to do a lot of work for the pros before the tour vans started travelling the circuit
Ping G20, 9.5*
Callaway X2 Hot, 15*
Ping Anser, 18.5*
TM 2009 Rescue TP 22*, Ping G25 5-GW
Ping Tour Gorge 56*/60*
Guerin Rife Aussie Mallet, 35"

#9 detroit59

detroit59

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8891
  • Joined: 12/19/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 28 January 2013 - 07:27 PM

View Postwillboyrd, on 27 January 2013 - 11:58 PM, said:

What was the cost?

$100/hr


#10 stimpmeterp

stimpmeterp

    Advanced

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33985
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Washington DC
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 28 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to respond, these are great options!

Bethesda, MD
7 hcp.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 jokerusn

jokerusn

    Mr. J

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 447
  • Joined: 04/30/2005
  • Location:Northern NJ
  • Ebay ID:jokerusn
GolfWRX Likes : 124

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Also, GolfDom in tysons has a callaway performance center inside.  Really good price and staff.  (if you want callaway.) not sure how they are with fitting other OEMs but they have contacts in the deepest tour centers at the OEMs - got my Classic T3 from them. Ask for Matt Trenton.

I've also been to Westfields in Clifton and they are very good.  

Heard a lot of good things about custom clubs of Fredrick (Tom gave his stamp of approval so totally worth a look) and Golf care center in Bethesda.

Edited by jokerusn, 28 January 2013 - 10:40 PM.

290 / 3Deep / RBZ Tour / Idea Pro
07 X Forged / Scratch / Odyssey

#12 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:46 PM

I've had experience with a few of the ones, mentioned.

As for Mike B in Frederick, top notch guy in both knowledge and customer service, he will spend a lot of time with you and answer all the questions you have.  The only down side is he is more intuned to customer clubs, but if you are open to Wishon or KZG or others, he is probably the best.

The Callaway Performance Center at Golfdom is very good. I'm not a big fan of the sales guys at Golfdom but the CPC guys really do a good job.

TourTrailer in Westfields/Gainsvile.  Hot and cold, I've heard great things but had a bad personal experience.  So that one is a YMMV

Wade or Webb..Heintzleman in Bethesda...I thought it was Wade but I could be wrong.  In any case, I've never seen him, but everyone I've spoken to that has, raves about him and his knowledge.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#13 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

    bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83989
  • Joined: 05/27/2009
  • Location:Murland
  • Handicap:17.1
GolfWRX Likes : 997

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:23 PM

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 11 February 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

I've had experience with a few of the ones, mentioned.

As for Mike B in Frederick, top notch guy in both knowledge and customer service, he will spend a lot of time with you and answer all the questions you have.  The only down side is he is more intuned to customer clubs, but if you are open to Wishon or KZG or others, he is probably the best.

The Callaway Performance Center at Golfdom is very good. I'm not a big fan of the sales guys at Golfdom but the CPC guys really do a good job.

TourTrailer in Westfields/Gainsvile.  Hot and cold, I've heard great things but had a bad personal experience.  So that one is a YMMV

Wade or Webb..Heintzleman in Bethesda...I thought it was Wade but I could be wrong.  In any case, I've never seen him, but everyone I've spoken to that has, raves about him and his knowledge.

I would agree there, but ask for Matt Trenton...outstanding guy.  Dealt with him a couple of times and will only go to him for any club needs at Golfdom.
Jetspeed/Optiforce
Callaway Optiforce 4w/5w
Adams a12 Pro
Cobra Bio Cell
vokey SM5 53/58
Slighter Redmond Custom

#14 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,040 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
  • Joined: 08/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 1508

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

My picks:

Matt Trenton at Golfdom in Tysons (CPC launch monitor is a camera based system, indoors, using premium Callaway balls)

Paris Fisher at the Tour Trailer at Westfields (has both Flightscope and Trackman, outside, using range balls)
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*
TEE CB5 15*
TEE CB Pro-h 18*, 21*
Bridgestone J40 DPC
Vokey 250.06, Callaway X-Forged 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

#15 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 11 February 2013 - 03:52 PM

View PostBoogaloo_Jones, on 11 February 2013 - 03:23 PM, said:

View PostCarolina Golfer 2, on 11 February 2013 - 02:46 PM, said:

I've had experience with a few of the ones, mentioned.

As for Mike B in Frederick, top notch guy in both knowledge and customer service, he will spend a lot of time with you and answer all the questions you have.  The only down side is he is more intuned to customer clubs, but if you are open to Wishon or KZG or others, he is probably the best.

The Callaway Performance Center at Golfdom is very good. I'm not a big fan of the sales guys at Golfdom but the CPC guys really do a good job.

TourTrailer in Westfields/Gainsvile.  Hot and cold, I've heard great things but had a bad personal experience.  So that one is a YMMV

Wade or Webb..Heintzleman in Bethesda...I thought it was Wade but I could be wrong.  In any case, I've never seen him, but everyone I've spoken to that has, raves about him and his knowledge.

I would agree there, but ask for Matt Trenton...outstanding guy.  Dealt with him a couple of times and will only go to him for any club needs at Golfdom.
Matt has been there a few years?  I believe I had a fitting with him about 7 or 8 years ago.  And it was a great experience.

OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#16 dpete

dpete

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104450
  • Joined: 03/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 April 2014 - 12:58 PM

I've used Wade Heintzleman at Golf Care Center in Bethesda, this past September.  It was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot, including a couple of useful swing tips (I'm about a 19 handicap).   My most recent trip was for driver/woods/hybrids and he speced me into last years models, which saved a good bit of money! (more than covered his fee).  For me and my game, that was a very appropriate move, and I  appreciated the recommendation.  




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors