Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Is TOP GOLF worth the Money?

Top Golf

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 NickGerst

NickGerst

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117594
  • Handicap:3.4
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:42 PM

Is Top Golf worth the money?

The snow is finally here in DC. I wanted to practice this weekend.

I have never stepped foot in a top golf. $40 gives you $50 worth of games, but the site doesn’t explain how much a game costs. Any help would be appreciated!

http://topgolf.com/a...etting-started/

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 NickPhillips

NickPhillips

Army Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205173
  • Ebay ID:Infantryrecruiter
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

I go to top golf quite a bit, if you are military/fire dept/police each game consisting of 20 balls is 5.75, if not, the cost per game is 7 dollars. The bays are heated and the food/drinks are better than bar food and reasonably prices. I love top golf, I can sit for hours and watch tv as they have them in every bay, hit some balls, grab some queso and chips and just have fun.

#3 NickPhillips

NickPhillips

Army Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205173
  • Ebay ID:Infantryrecruiter
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

I forgot to say its nice to go with non-golfers as the rental clubs are free to use, and they have women's, men's, and kids for lefties and righties.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#4 Timanator

Timanator

SFClone

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,923 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71372
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 142

Posted 27 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

For golf, no!
For drinking and chill with friends, still prob not.
Ping Anser 9.5 Ahina 70-S
Adams Super S 2H 17 degrees, Kujoh-S
Ping I20 3-PW KBS Tour-S
Ping Tour W 52/Mizuno 56T10
Odyssey Versa 7

#5 Big L

Big L

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117355
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:05 AM

I've hit theTop Golf in NOVA a few times with some friends who live in the area.  If we go, it's usually because our wives our attending a shower of some sorts or some other event that does not allow us time for a full round of golf.  Top Golf is a nice alternative since we can still hit some balls while eating and having a few beers.  It's fun and something different, but I don't see myself going there all the time if I lived nearby.

TM R9460 10.5*
TEE CB2 15* Ping I15 18.5*
TM RBZ 22*
Ping I20 5-UW
TM Corza Ghost
Cleveland CG16 54* & 58*

#6 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:57 AM

Worth it for practicing golf, no.  Worth it for causal drinks, a new twist on happy hour, convincing your wife/gf/non-golf friends that golf can be fun, then yes.  It's a fun commodity, but you really should look at it more as a bar with one really big video game attraction.  If you are looking to hit balls and improve, it will offer minimal returns and your money would be better spent at a normal range.  But it is a ton of fun, and a great way to introduce new people to the game.

#7 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

i was in houston for work and passed top golf and wished my hometown had a top golf, but $7 for 20 balls, no thanks. guess its more fo a social game atmosphere than somewhere to go and get some practice.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#8 dbornack

dbornack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41900
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

I love Top Golf..   Yes, I'd rather hit the driving range to practice, but during the frigid Chicago winters, it's the only place to watch the ball fly more than 90 yards..  The heaters make it plenty warm where I'm comfortable in January in Jeans and a T-shirt..  

Yes, it's a little pricer, but the more games you redeem at one time, the cheaper it is per game..   so get 3-4-5 games when you go to make it a better value.

And yeah..  I usually make it a 2-3 hour event with friends, and we can kick back a few beers, and shoot the proverbial s***...

Also, check for daily specials.  There are many times I go to the one here, and get 100 balls (5 games) for $15..   they have daily specials like this.

Edited by dbornack, 28 January 2013 - 01:31 PM.

#9 BMDUB

BMDUB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131802
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

Go to hilltop golf.  Heated bays, usually quiet and its like 13 bucks for 100 balls I think.  Top Golf is great but I refuse to pay that much $.

#10 dplasters

dplasters

How little they know about what they imagine they can design

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101355
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Hilltop and Oak Mar both have heated bays in the NoVA area for much much less.  I'm sure there are others but those are the two I have used.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,397 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143353
GolfWRX Likes : 184

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:53 PM

Exsqueeze me! $7 for 20 balls! Are you friggin kidding me?

#12 dbornack

dbornack

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41900
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 06 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

View PostJim Clark, on 06 February 2013 - 05:53 PM, said:

Exsqueeze me! $7 for 20 balls! Are you friggin kidding me?

That's only if you go once, and don't average it out.

It's more like $4 for 20 balls.  But..  you're getting more value than just the driving range beating balls.

#13 J5isalive

J5isalive

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 142495
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 06 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

I went to the one in Chicago when i was up there for business... I had a blast.

#14 prsgtrman

prsgtrman

prsgtrman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 178754
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:38 AM

top golf is more about going for a couple of beers and hanging out with your friends than anything else. its a little pricey. i certainly wouldnt go there to practice other than the free sandbunker out back.

#15 umassgolfer

umassgolfer

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58186
  • Ebay ID:frstbaseman18
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:56 AM

To me, top golf is basically best thought of as golf meets bowling.   You play against your friends, gain points each turn, joke around with each other when its not your turn to hit.  I would never use it for practice or game improvement but if you have a few golf buddies it is a good way to hit a few balls in a laid back, fun game setting that is different from on-course.

#16 wvuwhat

wvuwhat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23146
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 February 2013 - 08:59 PM

TopGolf is great, but it is certainly not a practice substitute.

It's best for grabbing a drink or two with a co-worker, taking your wife/GF and introducing her to golf, and in some cases a good reason to get off the beltway when there is serious traffic.

#17 Auditor_Kevin

Auditor_Kevin

Lifelong addict to the game of golf.....

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80828
  • Handicap:7.3
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:59 PM

Wanted to add my two cents since I hit up the TopGolf here in the Chicago suburbs from time to time.  I agree with the poster above - it isn't a very good practice substitute.  

For starters, the balls are in pretty bad shape.  Half of them are now bald.  My last trip had me hitting some balls that had dirt caked to them, even though there is no dirt on the range.  

The balls are also some of the deadest range balls I've ever seen.  On a trip last week, I wasn't playing particularly well and decided to eff it and just hit some drives.  The balls went NOWHERE.  They are dead to the point of affecting club selection too.  I have to club down one to two clubs when using them just to get the same distances I get out of decent range balls on real grass.  

Lastly, they don't do a very good job of repairing their sensors.  I can literally tell when they do it because one trip I'll go and a solid 10% to 15% of my shots that land on target don't count (usually the ones closer to the edge).  And I use the second floor and have perfect eyesight so I see exactly where the ball went in.  I'll hit one on target and it just plain doesn't register.  I can manually adjust the score but then I disqualify myself from the leaderboard.

Then I'll go there again and all the sudden all the targets are working again.  They let the faulty sensors really pile up before committing the resources to fixing them.  

The place is fun, the bar and menu selections can't be beat - but if you're looking for a regular practice facility - this probably isn't the place for the typical WRXer.

edited to add: I go at lunch when games only cost $3.50 each.  Much better value for 20 balls then later in the day when it can cost up to $7.  That's insane for some of the worst quality golf balls I've ever seen.

Edited by Auditor_Kevin, 03 June 2014 - 02:02 PM.

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Titleist 585H 17*
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
Lefty-signed Callaway US Open staff bag
WITB Link

Also tagged with Top Golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors