Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

New event - International Crown

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153663
GolfWRX Likes : 809

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

Hi all:
Nice to see another event added.
the format is in a PDF doc in the easy to navigate lpga.com site...LMAO.

The format is not the simplest to understand....although one need not be a brain surgeon neither...but you need to read it carefully.
The KISS theory was not applied for an 'average' golf fan.

If current Rolex standings were used....I 'eyeballed' the teams from 1-8
Total stack rank points
KOR 21
US 44
JPN 73
SWE 214
AUS 284
ESP 287
TPE 355
ENG 468

I think the 9th team is THA @ 685......if Moriya & Ariya play well in 2013....I can see THA make up ground into the top 8.
NOR is not included cause they don't have 4 pros in the rankings....so no Tutta.
On some of the low ranked teams....the 5th player alternate to tag along might be a very low ranking player.

On paper.....looks like KOR, US & JPN will advance to the Sunday 3....it's cumulative team points.

Who is the lead sponsor?....Mr. Rich from Harvest Farms.

This is branded as an international event.....the US is host the 1st two events.......when did the US become the CENTER OF THE UNIVERSE.....where the LPGA fan base is dying....lol.

All I know for sure at this time.
1) The US team will sport the most ribbons, face paint and teddy bears.
2) Spain will have the BEST looking team!!!!

I think I've mentioned this b4.
I've always thought a Korea vs. The World would have been a great event.
They would not have gone too far beyond the 24th ranked pros to fill out both 12 person teams.
The KLPGA and LPGA could have partnered to develop this...with some Korean company sponsoring the lead complimented with other secondary sponsors.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 887

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

An event is an event for the LPGA.  Sounds like a good time.  Kind of reminds me of the Four Tours World Championship of Golf that was played in Japan in the early 90s?
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#3 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56190
GolfWRX Likes : 495

Posted 24 January 2013 - 11:33 PM

Bunch o' thoughts (to borrow from my Shakey's pizza days):

* The same crew who redesigned LPGA.com must have been responsible for that video presentation on ustream. Everything went blank for several minutes then it reappeared with video only, no sound. One wag said in the chat room that when everyone clapped, he could detect the sound of clapping.

* There was a letdown when it was more than a year away, after the hype for several days. Kraig Kann made an announcement then was obviously stunned at the low level of applause following the introductory video. I shouldn't have to tell him why. We're supposed to go nuts in anticipation of July 2014? The 2013 schedule needs a boost. That's what we were expecting.

* A team event broken down by country is a natural idea. I've proposed that on several sites. This takes it to a level I didn't anticipate, and it's a logical fit, in the year between Solheim Cups, like the President's Cup. But I think Whan could do more. The LPGA should figure out a FedEx Cup type format where you earn points for your country every week, with a running total that could be announced and hyped during the telecasts, to go along with player of the year and rookie of the year standings. Obviously it would be dominated by South Korea vs. USA but that's the whole idea.

* As I posted in the other thread, the Sunday format is overly complicated and Friday through Saturday separate the top ranked country from number two and number three. It's like the World Cup soccer where you play everyone else in your bracket the first three matchups. In this case that's a stupid idea, IMO. Koreans won't be playing Americans until Sunday. That's huge potential to frustrate the audience, and turn them away period.

* The event needs to be within the United States until the domestic schedule is fortified. I have no trouble with that

* South Koreans can't afford to skip events early in the season, not when the cutoff is Monday of Nabisco to finalize the top four of the Rolex Rankings to qualify for the event. Same for Americans, to lesser degree. Or any country tightly bunched in the 3-6 range. It obviously will vary every time.

* Since Nabisco is the designated cutoff point, I suspect that means Nabisco will stick around for the foreseeable. There had been some speculation it would fall by the wayside.

#4 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2250

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

I like it! It sounds exciting. Agree with AWSI that perhaps some of the excitement may come in the form of the convoluted sudden death playoffs for Sunday play and then for the finals in case of a tie. But, the concept of the int'l team even is promising because there are 8 teams and this will be far better and more interesting than the bi-annual disaster we reverently refer to as the Presidents cup. That thing lost it's luster at the same moment Fred Couples last made a meaningful 20 footer. I also agree that they should have devised a point system separate from the Rolex Rankings to give them one more thing to throw on the TV "International crown standings" as a stand alone.

Also, this differs from most international competitions because the players/teams are playing for prize money. And i get that this is an LPGA event, put on by the American LPGA funded apparently by American sponsors, so it's no surprise, nor US-centric, to make this country the home to the event. At least in the near term. Plus, as Wahn explained, the july dates fall in the thick of the domestic schedule. It makes little sense to make the players, most of whom will be playing in this country, travel thousands of miles for this competition.

My favorite part is No captains! If they need a single sudden death player the team must decide among themselves. Would love to be in the "team room" when deciding between Kerr and Lewis. I think both would state their cases very strongly. Meooooow.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#5 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 25 January 2013 - 08:52 AM, said:

I like it! It sounds exciting. Agree with AWSI that perhaps some of the excitement may come in the form of the convoluted sudden death playoffs for Sunday play and then for the finals in case of a tie. But, the concept of the int'l team even is promising because there are 8 teams and this will be far better and more interesting than the bi-annual disaster we reverently refer to as the Presidents cup. That thing lost it's luster at the same moment Fred Couples last made a meaningful 20 footer. I also agree that they should have devised a point system separate from the Rolex Rankings to give them one more thing to throw on the TV "International crown standings" as a stand alone.

Also, this differs from most international competitions because the players/teams are playing for prize money. And i get that this is an LPGA event, put on by the American LPGA funded apparently by American sponsors, so it's no surprise, nor US-centric, to make this country the home to the event. At least in the near term. Plus, as Wahn explained, the july dates fall in the thick of the domestic schedule. It makes little sense to make the players, most of whom will be playing in this country, travel thousands of miles for this competition.

My favorite part is No captains! If they need a single sudden death player the team must decide among themselves. Would love to be in the "team room" when deciding between Kerr and Lewis. I think both would state their cases very strongly. Meooooow.

That team room with no Captains would make a great reality show for The Golf Channel.  No Captains and no Captain's pick means less drama - but I wonder if they'll make a provision for a "back-up" player if there is an injury on the first day of the compeition???

Regardless of the questions:  This is good for the Ladies.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Old Titleist Blade

#6 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

I'd like to see Bam Bam sit on Kerr and say she's gonna play any play-off.
Then we could see Kerr crying like a baby in her interview as we witnessed at the 2011 Solheim.

#7 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

It's going to be interesting to see the name that goes into the envelope......I wonder if they will announce the player even if the Sudden-Death Playoff doesn't occur???
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Old Titleist Blade

#8 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

The tension would be most delicious if Kerr and Creamer were considered the two top Americans at the time, with little separating them. Plenty of frostiness there.

#9 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostAwsi Dooger, on 29 January 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

The tension would be most delicious if Kerr and Creamer were considered the two top Americans at the time, with little separating them. Plenty of frostiness there.

Awsi
Pls do tell....why the cold shoulder between Kerr and PC?

#10 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

View PostMr22putt, on 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Awsi

I suspect it's been gradual, two big egos determined to be the queen of American golf for as long as possible.

It was most obvious at Killeen Castle during the 2011 Solheim Cup. They were paired together on Saturday and basically ignored each other. Incredibly awkward throughout. That was the round they did the bump after Kerr sank a birdie putt early in the round. Somehow the LPGA decided to use that clip in 2012 promos but it wasn't fooling anybody. After the round Paula wouldn't even use Cristie's first name in the interview with NBC. She said, with virtually zero sincerity, "It's always nice to play with Kerr." Cristie was two feet away at the time. Then the following night supposedly there was a shouting match between the two of them, after Cristie pulled out of the singles with an injured wrist, handing a full point to Karen Stupples, which turned out to be decisive. Paula apparently thought Cristie could have tried to play. Nobody who watched the Saturday round should have been surprised at that type of conflict.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 tbowles411

tbowles411

I've always liked this pic. :)

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 1699

Posted 30 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

View PostAwsi Dooger, on 29 January 2013 - 11:25 PM, said:

View PostMr22putt, on 29 January 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

Awsi

I suspect it's been gradual, two big egos determined to be the queen of American golf for as long as possible.

It was most obvious at Killeen Castle during the 2011 Solheim Cup. They were paired together on Saturday and basically ignored each other. Incredibly awkward throughout. That was the round they did the bump after Kerr sank a birdie putt early in the round. Somehow the LPGA decided to use that clip in 2012 promos but it wasn't fooling anybody. After the round Paula wouldn't even use Cristie's first name in the interview with NBC. She said, with virtually zero sincerity, "It's always nice to play with Kerr." Cristie was two feet away at the time. Then the following night supposedly there was a shouting match between the two of them, after Cristie pulled out of the singles with an injured wrist, handing a full point to Karen Stupples, which turned out to be decisive. Paula apparently thought Cristie could have tried to play. Nobody who watched the Saturday round should have been surprised at that type of conflict.
Very true.  They are not even like oil and water.  They are like oil and fire.  I have a couple buddies that follow the Tour and said they same.  They do NOT get along at all.  As much as I love my girl, she can be explosive.  Kerr takes her game (and herself) very seriously.  Many do not get along with her one bit.

#12 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 12:25 AM

Thx guys for the info.
If true....my respect for the Pink Diva has gone way up to call out Kerr at the SC.
Ya have to believe Kerr eats by herself in the clubhouse.

#13 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

Paula's not going to let Cristie walk over her, just like she wasn't intimidated by Annika as a rookie, when she thought Annika took an unfair drop after hitting into a hazard.

Paula's outbursts can be amusing but I've never found them mean spirited, unlike many anecdotes regarding Cristie.

Toward Solheim, Morgan Pressel seems to get along with just about everybody. She could pull Creamer and Kerr aside if necessary. Plus she's a bulldog in team play. The USA really needs her to get her act together and make the team. Otherwise it will be interesting to see how far down Meg Mallon is willing to reach with a captain's pick, if let's say Morgan is in 14th or 18th position. I haven't even looked at the standings but I would assume Lewis, Kerr, Creamer, Lincicome, Stanford, Lexi and Lang are all but certain to make it. Then a mess. Maybe I overlooked someone.

#14 tbowles411

tbowles411

• 18,433 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostAwsi Dooger, on 31 January 2013 - 01:34 AM, said:

Paula's not going to let Cristie walk over her, just like she wasn't intimidated by Annika as a rookie, when she thought Annika took an unfair drop after hitting into a hazard.

Paula's outbursts can be amusing but I've never found them mean spirited, unlike many anecdotes regarding Cristie.

Toward Solheim, Morgan Pressel seems to get along with just about everybody. She could pull Creamer and Kerr aside if necessary. Plus she's a bulldog in team play. The USA really needs her to get her act together and make the team. Otherwise it will be interesting to see how far down Meg Mallon is willing to reach with a captain's pick, if let's say Morgan is in 14th or 18th position. I haven't even looked at the standings but I would assume Lewis, Kerr, Creamer, Lincicome, Stanford, Lexi and Lang are all but certain to make it. Then a mess. Maybe I overlooked someone.
PC gets upset at herself mostly.  Thats where the outbursts can be misconstrued.  Sometimes people feel like it's directed towards them, but about 99% of the time, they're not.  When she's on the course, she's a pistol and in straight competition mode.  She'll let you know how she feels.  Kerr, on the other hand, I don't mind the outburst when she's in competition mode, but she can be a bit nasty to her counterparts and anyone else caught in the crossfire.  Some can laugh it off, most don't so it comes across as "w"itchy.  And by many accounts I've heard and seen a couple times walking along, she can go there.  Easily.

The Solheim team needs help.  After the first 7, it's a crapshoot.  There simply isn't a consistent enough player that you'd say, "Yeah, I can't believe I forgot them."  No one comes to mind that.  Crickets.

#15 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

I would think Bam Bam will do enough to qualify.

As far as Paula and her outbursts go, shes seems to show a fair bit of angst towards her caddy from time to time when she pouts.

Kerr is no doubt capable of rubbing some people the wrong way but i really like her fiery attitude. Yeah she is abrasive at times but to me it's more about her personality driven by competitiveness. There is no doubt she has worked hard to get where she is. She seems to get along and interact well with fellow tour players on twitter. I realize that's no great measure of reality all the time but they could just ignore her.

TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#16 tbowles411

tbowles411

• 18,433 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

View PostKYMAR, on 31 January 2013 - 10:50 AM, said:

I would think Bam Bam will do enough to qualify.

As far as Paula and her outbursts go, shes seems to show a fair bit of angst towards her caddy from time to time when she pouts.

Kerr is no doubt capable of rubbing some people the wrong way but i really like her fiery attitude. Yeah she is abrasive at times but to me it's more about her personality driven by competitiveness. There is no doubt she has worked hard to get where she is. She seems to get along and interact well with fellow tour players on twitter. I realize that's no great measure of reality all the time but they could just ignore her.
Yeah, her caddy take the abuse because she needs the outlet.  I doubt that will change anytime soon.  The thing is, he rolls with it and he knows she doesn't mean any of it, so he stays.  LOL

I have nothing against Kerr's attitude when she plays.  Personally, I love when she throws verbal abuse at her ball.  It's freaking hilarious, especially when it doesn't listen!  It's the other "intangibles".  They could ignore her, but we all know many are incapable of that.  I mean, if a couple people don't like you, that's one thing, but when they line up sometimes?  That's not them, it's probably you.  :)

#17 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I guess i don't see those lines of people. At least that her peers are standing in. I could be wrong.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#18 tbowles411

tbowles411

• 18,433 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 31 January 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

I guess i don't see those lines of people. At least that her peers are standing in. I could be wrong.
Lets go to Kingsmill. We'll see it. Plus there's great BBQ nearby!

#19 Mr22putt

Mr22putt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,720 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

the US team has no locker room leader.
Rosie was a poor captain and allowed the players to influence who should play....pouty Lewis should have been benched after day 1 and there was no bench strength leader....they had to rely on rookie Ryann to bring Lewis out of her funk.

Dottie is the one and only captain the US should ever employ....her way or the highway....no crying on her team.

The Euros had Laura Davies and LD likely won't be in Colorado.....but Suzann will easily fill LD's locker room leadership role.
The Euros aren't into much face painting, ribbons, teddy bears on their hotel beds and posters in their war room.
Like have cigars, scotch, beer kegs, TV's and a pool table in their war room.

Ryann is Twiiter buddies with Tutta, Maria H, Sophie, Mel Reid, etc.....Ryann's a cocky jock (too bad her golf game can't match it)....I'm sure she had no time for all the PMS drama and cotton candy.
Can the Euros adopt Ryann please....even if she doesn't perform well...at least she is eye candy for the male dominated viewership :superman:

#20 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,497 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

The Golf Channel really should do a behind the scenes TV show about this event and the teams.  It has the potential to be an absolute fiasco with all of the clashing personalities.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Old Titleist Blade

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 Awsi Dooger

Awsi Dooger

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,630 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:35 PM

Larry the Looper posted on his blog Life on Tour that he mentioned the International Crown event last June, more than 6 months before the official announcement. Apparently the LPGA was testing the page and it mistakenly made its way to the public website briefly before being pulled. Here is what Larry posted:

http://lifeontour.wo...national-crown/

You can see that the original version had Navistar listed as the sponsor, the Navistar International Crown. Otherwise the format, course and even the web design are identical. They might have sensed Navistar wouldn't make it back in 2013 but thought they would sponsor the new event. I guess it could still happen.

Paula's anger is indeed self aimed. I almost emphasized that in my prior post. The USA hasn't had a Solheim clubhouse leader but they didn't need one, after so many wins. Coming off a loss, someone will be expected to fill that role. I doubt Ryann O'Toole will ever make the team again. I posted that after the last one. Everything broke perfectly for her, and she did her part in the key event prior to selection day. Ryann was on the bench as a senior at UCLA, then obviously competed on Big Break. Most of the Solheim types were stars every step of the way. With players like Korda and Kang on the way up, it's unlikely she'll be able to take advantage of another thin roster. I checked the Solheim standings today. Katie Futcher is in 8th place, the last qualifying spot. She was the near miss last time.

To my surprise, Pressel and Wie would make the team at this juncture. They are the top two Americans in the Rolex Rankings who are otherwise not in the top 8 on points. That was a change after 2011, primarily designed to avoid situations like Christina Kim in 2011, making the team despite far down the Rolex numbers. Morgan is 40th in Rolex, Wie is 64th. But that can dive quickly if poor results continue to string together.

I didn't think Rosie Jones was a poor captain, other than failing to use Pressel in the first session. That was a ridiculous overreaction to the length of the course. It reminded me of the inane threads around here, where the scratch male is proposed to dominate an LPGA player if the course is long enough. Meanwhile, put them out there and the pro simply does everything better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors