Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

impact zone

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 golfpros1

golfpros1

So I got that going for me, which is nice.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105178
GolfWRX Likes : 754

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:36 AM

any impact zone students out there?  saw bobby at the range today talking about it and he had some good advice.  seemed perfectly logical approach to teaching golf.  What's better, the videos or the book?

[update] I added some video i captured at demo day

Edited by golfpros1, 24 January 2013 - 11:16 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 juststeve

juststeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 154
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

I think what he wrote in the book confuses an effect with a cause.  The flat left wrist is an effect of a good swing but in my opinion should not be something you do deliberately.

Steve

#3 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:37 AM

I would look at Clampett's book as 'points to keep in mind', but it is far from comprehensive. In fact you could probably sum it up as: "You want forward shaft lean, a flat lead wrist at impact, the bottom of your swing arc to be 4" in front of the ball, and lag during half to full swings. The end".
I would add to juststeve's post by saying that Clampett never really discusses cause and effect.
A lot of key swing elements left out or barely mentioned. A few things actually detrimental - "aim the hands 4" in front of the ball at the top of the backswing" (for a half swing pitch).
The Impact Zone has been out for a while, so I'm sure there have been previous threads with more detail.

#4 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14567
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

View PostCrab Daddy, on 24 January 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

A few things actually detrimental - "aim the hands 4" in front of the ball at the top of the backswing" (for a half swing pitch).

It's only detrimental if misunderstood or misapplied.  It's correctly done by making that 4" point in front of the ball a brief, initial direction toward which to thrust the hands using the right shoulder, not with the hands alone.  And, you don't try to keep thrusting toward that point in the DS - it's only an initial thrust direction, because the hands quickly curve away from that point.

#5 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,661 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1089

Posted 24 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Great book that has helped, and will continue to help many people for years to come. I'm anxious to add the videos to my collection as well. I was lucky enough to spend an hour watching. Bobby hit balls two years ago. Very impressed with him as a teacher , and as a person. Man, he can really hit it as well, any shot you ask to see. He really "compresses" the hell out of it! :-)

I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE

#6 Crab Daddy

Crab Daddy

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130302
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:58 PM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 24 January 2013 - 03:15 PM, said:

View PostCrab Daddy, on 24 January 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

A few things actually detrimental - "aim the hands 4" in front of the ball at the top of the backswing" (for a half swing pitch).

It's only detrimental if misunderstood or misapplied.  It's correctly done by making that 4" point in front of the ball a brief, initial direction toward which to thrust the hands using the right shoulder, not with the hands alone.  And, you don't try to keep thrusting toward that point in the DS - it's only an initial thrust direction, because the hands quickly curve away from that point.

And that is the problem. In fairness, it has been a year since I read the book, but I don't think the description of the "aim point" drill was thorough enough.  I do remember that it gave me the shanks.
And, I'm not trying to bash Bobby Clampett or his book. I'm sure that, for many golfers, forward shaft lean, bottoming out in front of the ball, etc... can be revelations. But, as far as a comprehensive instruction book, I found it underwhelming.

Edited by Crab Daddy, 24 January 2013 - 04:59 PM.

#7 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

at the pga show they released his 4 dvd set.  perhaps that would make it clearer for people.  although, i found the 4 dvds to be overkill because you can get the idea in 1 or 2 at most

#8 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Here's a video I took from the PGA Demo Day where Bobby is explaining some of the ideas.

Edited by golfpros1, 24 January 2013 - 10:37 PM.

#9 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• 10,661 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:12 AM

View Postgolfpros1, on 24 January 2013 - 10:35 PM, said:

Here's a video I took from the PGA Demo Day where Bobby is explaining some of the ideas.

Golfpros1, I am having trouble with an error message. Would you mind posting a link to the video on YouTube? I would love to watch. Thanks in advance, and thanks for sharing!!!
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.

#10 Martee

Martee

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54355
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Here is a link to Impact Zone Vids.  There are several that address the educated hands, aiming point, low point while others are more 'how to hit a shot'.

http://www.impactzon...-video-library/

Might help the discussion.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• 10,661 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:10 AM

View PostMartee, on 25 January 2013 - 08:02 AM, said:

Here is a link to Impact Zone Vids.  There are several that address the educated hands, aiming point, low point while others are more 'how to hit a shot'.

http://www.impactzon...-video-library/

Might help the discussion.

Thanks Martee!
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.

#12 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14567
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Bobby explained exactly NOTHING in this video.  He talks proper impact, but gives not even a hint on how to get it!

#13 golfpros1

golfpros1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,113 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 25 January 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

Bobby explained exactly NOTHING in this video.  He talks proper impact, but gives not even a hint on how to get it!

He was covering the 5 aspects of good impact, of which I think the video included him mentioning 2 of them.  I wasn't there to shoot a how to video, and my gosh, how much are we expecting him to cover about the golf swing 2 minutes?

I think the point he's making is most golf instruction teaches style, and he believes it's wrong.  He believes good golf is taught by teaching impact condition, and reading divots, something he believes most methods, golf swing cults, and blowhard teachers in general seem to completely miss.... they'd rather make your swing look like x or y.

Edited by golfpros1, 25 January 2013 - 01:59 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors