Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway Razr X HL vs Callaway X-22

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jayfaro

jayfaro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 203423
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

First of all, i'm sorry for all of the posts regarding irons. Ive only been golfing for 4-5 months and was fitted for the Razr X HL steel irons. The pro shop fitter thought the HL's made a lot of sense since they would help me elevate the ball. Now, i have only been golfing a short time but have improved greatly. I am having a hard time with distance control and i think the large sole is actually hindering versus helping my improvement. I have an opportunity to pick up a set of the X-22's in almost new condition. My questions are: have any of you guys had a chance to play both sets? Are the X-22's more of GI vs the HL's which are more of a Max GI iron? Lastly, is it a smart idea  to spend an extra $85 for one less club (HL/4-PW,AW and X-22/5-PW,SW) on a set that is essentially 3-4 years old vs my HL's which were made last year? Thanks guys! Sorry for the bother but i really appreciate your input.
Jay

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1381

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

I have played for about three months with some X-20's (not 22's but similar) and about six months with Razr X irons (not HL but the plain Razr X). Unfortunately the X-20 set I had were my one and only trial of graphite shafts, which turned out not to suit me at all.

When I had the Razr X set instead of the 4-iron that came with the set I bought 5-PW and added a Razr X HL 4-iron thinking it might be an easier to hit 4-iron with the bigger sole and so forth.

Comparing the Razr X and X-20 clubheads I'm not sure there's enough difference between them to matter much. I consider my Razr X irons to suit me a lot better just because of the different shafts. The clubheads are more alike than different. But the Razr X HL 4-iron was just bulky looking and had a funny feel at impact. I did not like it even a little bit (although the rest of the Razr X set I liked a lot).

Which is a long-winded way of saying I'll bet I'd strongly prefer the X-22 to Razr X HL, myself. But I'm not sure they are really worlds different. For me being used to mostly less offset, narrower soled irons the HL was just a little too much somehow. But in honesty, I'd be afraid you might be expecting more of a difference than is really there. If you don't mind a frank opinion, my advice would be the stick with the set you have for at least a full year. I think you may be attributing too much influence to that litle bit "more" club sticking out there!

#3 jayfaro

jayfaro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

Fourmyle,
Thanks for the honesty. That was my initial thought...play these thru next summer and go from there. I thought the deal on the X-22's were decent but again, i'm not sure of a little bit smaller head and thinner soles is going to be that much of a dfference. I'm still trying to get the ball elevated and where i want it to go and i'm not shaping shots or playing a fade/draw where necessary, not right now anyway. I appreciate the honesty...i kind of felt the same way but buying these XL's in August and playing 10 rounds with them probably isnt a good indicator as to what is hindering my improvement...i have a pretty good feeling it's operator error more than the clubs! LOL...
Jay

#4 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207419
GolfWRX Likes : 604

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

What shafts are in the X22's?

I had the X22's with the S Flex OEM Graphite shafts. I liked the heads. They where on the small side and took getting used to. But once you get used to them they are awesome. But my problem with them was with the shafts. They didn't work for me. Even at S Flex they still where to flimsy.

Instead of reshafting I sold them and replaced them with the 09 X-Forged.

IMHO. I would stick with the HL's for one more season.

Edited by OUZO Power, 22 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9.0
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

#5 jayfaro

jayfaro

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:17 PM

They have the Uniflex Callaway Steel (PTIP- whatever that means) regular flex. I believe i have these same shafts in my HL's.

#6 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1381

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Actually they use a slightly different version of the steel shaft in the HL vs. regular Razr X. But as far as I could determine from my shadetree step-pattern analysis it's basically the same shaft just installed with a different tip-trim pattern. So basically real similar to each other and to the X-20, X-22 and so forth.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors