Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I fell like the anchor ban needs to be made now or never. Anyone agree?

45 replies to this topic

#1 dtowngolf

dtowngolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136849
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

I feel that this is proposal is something that will affect the game for the worse as times goes on. What will happens if a player in the last major (PGA Championship) before the ban in a few years wins with an anchored putter? It will make the win seem less important to certain spectators. Opinions on this?

SLDR 9.5,OBAN Kiyoshi White 04
R11, speeder tp x (r9 shaft)
19, 21 Adams LS hybrid X100
5-PW Rocketblades Tour, S400 Tour Isuue
White Hot Tour #7
ATV 49, 54, 60, S400 Tour Issue

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Imagine if you've spent the last xx years perfecting the way you do your job, and then your boss comes over to you and says you have to radically change what you do or lose everything.....  You would probably want a phase in time as well.

Honestly, most guys will probably change before the ban.  The USGA has their fingers crossed that no other long putters win tourneys, but the alternative would be a massive lawsuit.  The phase in period coincides with their scheduled rule changes as well, so technically they aren't doing anything but telling players ahead of time as a favor.

The real travesty will be when/if guys start winning with arm locks or other crazy, non traditional styles that the USGA has deemed legal.  They're a bunch of idiots

Edited by highergr0und, 22 January 2013 - 09:26 AM.

#3 Jim Clark

Jim Clark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143353
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

When's the next rules change cycle, 2016? They should have made the change now, or at most one year from now. Some veteran players were/are using anchored putters but said they should be banned (Ernie and Colin to name a couple). Some players have benefited greatly with anchoring (Scott, Bradley, and Langer to name a few), they'll just have to learn how to putt like most of us.

#4 Joey76

Joey76

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221541
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

If the long putter is seen as an aid then why aren't/weren't gloves seens as the same.

Edited by Joey76, 22 January 2013 - 09:59 AM.

#5 ragweed10

ragweed10

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28754
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

View PostJoey76, on 22 January 2013 - 09:45 AM, said:

If the long putter is scene as an aid then why aren't/weren't gloves seens as the same.
Gloves are not considered as an aid because you still have to swing the club, but with the long putter the USGA does not feel like you still swing the club because it is anchored to the body.

#6 Air Jordan

Air Jordan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 518 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164641
  • Handicap:5.4
  • Ebay ID:prelude511
GolfWRX Likes : 73

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

I can understand why people want the rule changed now, but I don't discount Keegan's (or anyone else's) win with a long putter. They were playing within the rules when they won and it shouldn't be viewed any different than a winner with a "normal" putting stroke. Makes no difference to me. It will all work itself out.

These guys play because they have a passion for the game, not because they want attention or need approval from spectators or the media. Sure, there are times when these guys get heckled a bit, but really, who doesn't? I have a feeling these guys will be just as proud of their wins regardless of when this rule becomes effective.

#7 Joey76

Joey76

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221541
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

I dont understand the argument that 3 of the last 5 major winners won with the long putter. (something along those lines)

What that effectively says is "its OK while you dont win but as soon as you win we will change it"

For the record I dont use one but lingering back problems make practising very difficult. I was thinking of trying one until I heard about this....

#8 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 22 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

It's not a sham....it's not a mockery....it's most certainly a shamockery...

I've posted on this topic quite a bit, but let me summarize why the ban is ridiculous:

1) It is only about perception...and nothing more...it is only about how something looks

2) The decision sets a bad precedent (and adds to the long line of poorly informed decisions) made by the ruling bodies. See: groove rule, etc.

3) Speaking statistically, the method isn't any better or any worse than any other method...

I could go on and on....

#9 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 940

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

I really don't believe it matters when the ban is instituted. Until it is, anchoring is LEGAL. Anyone who uses the stroke and wins any tourney with it, including a major, is doing it LEGALLY. The only people who think that winning with a LEGAL stroke is actually cheating, really have a very narrow view of things. As such, their opinions are unimportant and will not affect the reputation of the winners,nor will it lessen the importance of the victory. After all, it was done LEGALLY, according to those who really matter; the PGA Tour, the USGA, the R&A and fellow competitors in the tournaments.

Edited by nbg352, 22 January 2013 - 05:07 PM.

R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
R7 3w stock stiff
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
R7 Draw 5 - AW stock stiff graphite
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#10 OldGolfer87

OldGolfer87

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27887
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

If you receive Golf magazine , in the latest issue there is a article by Brandel Chamblee on this very subject , he makes very legitimate points for no amateur ban on anchoring , i tend to agree with him  , a amateur ban on anchoring just make zero sense at all , it just hurts our game that believe it or not 99% of people on this site no little to no chance for playing professional golf for a living so all this does is makes a difficult game more difficult , i equate this to making players who struggle for every yard they get go back to 1970 golf balls and persimmon which is just stupid silly ..period ..

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 baseballfrk8998

baseballfrk8998

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124978
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 22 January 2013 - 11:52 AM, said:

I've posted on this topic quite a bit, but let me summarize why the ban is ridiculous:

1) It is only about perception...and nothing more...it is only about how something looks

2) The decision sets a bad precedent (and adds to the long line of poorly informed decisions) made by the ruling bodies. See: groove rule, etc.

3) Speaking statistically, the method isn't any better or any worse than any other method...

I could go on and on....

I would disagree with #1. It's about having the club anchored. The rest I can agree with.
8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
19* SLDR Resuce // Speeder 9.3s
RocketBladez Tour 4-PW // C-Taper
52* & 58* Callaway MD2 // S-300
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1

#12 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• 4,359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

View Postbaseballfrk8998, on 22 January 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

I could go on and on....

I would disagree with #1. It's about having the club anchored. The rest I can agree with.

Right and if it were a performance issue...there would be statistics....and if it were a club issue (like with the grooves) they'd deem it non-conforming...so what's left...appearance... it simply doesn't "look like" a golf stroke...you are correct that it deals with the club being anchored....but it's because of how it looks being anchored...which for my money is rooted in perception

#13 Sean2

Sean2

Wait...what?

• 18,267 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 4600

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

I agree that a couple of years is too long. I don't quite understand that.
Hey...be nice.

#14 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 536

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

It doesn't need to be immediate. If you play by the current rules and win, no one with intelligence should discount it. I mean, do people discount wins made with square grooves before the ban? No.

I could go on and on....

I would also disagree with #3. Side saddle putting and pool cue method are both illegal, yet no statistical evidence shows they are advantageous. Why aren't anchoring fans also lobbying to putt pool cue method as well? Anchoring fans have some good arguments, but #3 isn't one of them IMO.

#15 baseballfrk8998

baseballfrk8998

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124978
GolfWRX Likes : 577

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 22 January 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

I could go on and on....

Right and if it were a performance issue...there would be statistics....and if it were a club issue (like with the grooves) they'd deem it non-conforming...so what's left...appearance... it simply doesn't "look like" a golf stroke...you are correct that it deals with the club being anchored....but it's because of how it looks being anchored...which for my money is rooted in perception

It's because it's anchored.

8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
19* SLDR Resuce // Speeder 9.3s
RocketBladez Tour 4-PW // C-Taper
52* & 58* Callaway MD2 // S-300
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1

#16 nbg352

nbg352

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,048 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144021
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 940

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

View PostChief Illiniwek, on 22 January 2013 - 01:32 PM, said:

It doesn't need to be immediate. If you play by the current rules and win, no one with intelligence should discount it. I mean, do people discount wins made with square grooves before the ban? No.

I could go on and on....

I would also disagree with #3. Side saddle putting and pool cue method are both illegal, yet no statistical evidence shows they are advantageous. Why aren't anchoring fans also lobbying to putt pool cue method as well? Anchoring fans have some good arguments, but #3 isn't one of them IMO.
Side saddle is perfectly legal. Perhaps you are thinking of croquet style, which straddles the putting line? If so, you are right. Croquet style putting is illegal.
R11S 8* square; Stock stiff
R7 3w stock stiff
RBZ 25* hb; RBZstage 2 19* hb
R7 Draw 5 - AW stock stiff graphite
GM Never Compromise GM2 putter
54*, 58* Callaway X series Jaws 4* flat

#17 Chief Illiniwek

Chief Illiniwek

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59803
GolfWRX Likes : 536

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Correct that's what I meant, Snead style. Sorry for the confusion.

#18 Jamboy72

Jamboy72