Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

C-Taper reshaft/review

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199126
  • Ebay ID:ghosskyline
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

I bought a set of C-taper S+ earlier in the winter and finally got around to putting them into my MP-58's that originally had the DG Dyanlite S300...I reshafted an 8 iron and this being my first ever reshafting job before testing the clubs in the golf dome I tried them on a Sim...My first impressions

1) wow these shafts are really harsh
2) they vibrate a lot more than the DG
3) wow I am about 10-15+ yards longer on average than the DG!

So my question is I swing weight the club at a D4 from the original D2 so obviously the club felt heavier but if I went back to a D2 or a D3 even would that take some of the harshness out? and would I go back to hitting my average 155-160 yard 8 iron?... The swing weight felt fine I didn't feel like I had to swing harder and it felt like the club was doing most of the work...When the club is to light I feel like I tense up a lot to control the club and the speed but at the D4 I was a lot looser...would soft stepping the set but keeping the D4 be better (for harshness) than just making the swing weight lighter? or should I just trade the set for regular stiffs?

Overall I really like the precieved increase distance and the feel on solid shots but the off shots were way off target or the vibration felt like hitting a baseball on the skinny part of the bat on a cold day

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157179
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

The S+ c taper is a lot stiffer than the DG on the scale.  I don't think you could soft step them to where the fell is similiar.  I play a C taper Stiff SS x1 because I wanted something similiar to the DG300.  I think it made them a little loose for me and probably should have used the Stiff straight in.  But S+ is what the pros are using.  I don't think 2 SW points is going to change it much.  I would get the stiffs if you were happy with the feel of the DG300s.

#3 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

Soft step it and give it a try.  If still no to avail, you should go to Stiff.  The SW won't be causing the harshness.  C taper is a smooth shaft if fitted correctly and struck solidly.  It gives a lot of feedback, i.e. you will know when you miss hit a shot.
Anser 8.5*-Speeder 8.2X TS
Anser 14.5*-Speeder 8.2X TS
Rocketbladez Tour 3i 20* - PX Rifle 6.5
Bridgestone J40DPC 4-P, PX Rifle 6.5
Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Vokey SM4 62*
Odyssey Versa 1W 34"

#4 GooseHook

GooseHook

Cord...Engage!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,342 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
GolfWRX Likes : 1021

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

I haven't gone full set, but I put a C-Taper X in a 21* Fli-Hi. Coning from X100, it's a lot stiffer but the dispersion is really tight. The bending feel is different, but it's really paid off in performance.
SLDR 460, Speeder 757x
PING G25 17, VTS Silver 8x
MP Fli-Hi/ JPX 825 Pro / MP-T4
Piretti Potenza
#DatCord
WITB Link

#5 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Great!...I don't really want it to feel like the DG but I also didn't want to be causing bodily harm, you can definitely tell a miss hit... I really like the shafts a lot the S+ might just be a little to much...the DG's ballon a lot for me which I guess when you pair a high ball hitter with a soft tip shaft made to get the ball in the air like the Dynalites then you are going lose a lot of distance and have terrible consistency...

I do however want the shafts to feel more like I guess the c-taper regular stiff, I like that they are stiffer than the DG's but I think the S+ was probably about 2 steps to stiff I suppose...

so it sounds like once I finish getting all the shafts to length, I am going to give them a chance to see if I can get used to it or I will soft step them and then if that doesn't work I will get the regular stiffs

#6 BigHook25

BigHook25

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 143811
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:18 PM

I also just put c taper S+ in Mizuno MP 58s and I have nothing but good things to say about them.  If they feel a little harsh then they are probably a little too stiff for you.  I tried the stiff and the x stiff in the c taper and the x stiff was only smooth when going after it.  When I tried to choke down or go easier with the x stiff it was a little too much.

I played DG s300 before and have for a long time.  They just weren't enough for me as my ball was ballooning and spinning way too much.  The c taper is an excellent shaft if your a high spin player.  Just have to make sure you get the right shaft as they do play a little stiffer than most other shafts.  The trajectory with the c taper shafts is great though and the ball just wants to stay straight.  I find it very difficult to hit a ball far off line.

#7 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

View Postthomaslv40, on 22 January 2013 - 08:16 PM, said:

Great!...I don't really want it to feel like the DG but I also didn't want to be causing bodily harm, you can definitely tell a miss hit... I really like the shafts a lot the S+ might just be a little to much...the DG's ballon a lot for me which I guess when you pair a high ball hitter with a soft tip shaft made to get the ball in the air like the Dynalites then you are going lose a lot of distance and have terrible consistency...

I do however want the shafts to feel more like I guess the c-taper regular stiff, I like that they are stiffer than the DG's but I think the S+ was probably about 2 steps to stiff I suppose...

so it sounds like once I finish getting all the shafts to length, I am going to give them a chance to see if I can get used to it or I will soft step them and then if that doesn't work I will get the regular stiffs

If you haven't installed them all straight in already, you should go ahead and install them softstepped right off the bat.
Odyssey Versa 1W 34"

#8 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:47 AM

View PostBigHook25, on 22 January 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

I also just put c taper S+ in Mizuno MP 58s and I have nothing but good things to say about them.  If they feel a little harsh then they are probably a little too stiff for you.  I tried the stiff and the x stiff in the c taper and the x stiff was only smooth when going after it.  When I tried to choke down or go easier with the x stiff it was a little too much.

I played DG s300 before and have for a long time.  They just weren't enough for me as my ball was ballooning and spinning way too much.  The c taper is an excellent shaft if your a high spin player.  Just have to make sure you get the right shaft as they do play a little stiffer than most other shafts.  The trajectory with the c taper shafts is great though and the ball just wants to stay straight.  I find it very difficult to hit a ball far off line.

Yeah I really like the increased distance...I cant really say what the trajectory was since I was in a simulator but I have never hit an 8i so far and I know these shafts are going to be what I need just going to need them to be softer...so you are right I think they might be to stiff for me

#9 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

View PostRosco1216, on 22 January 2013 - 10:45 PM, said:

If you haven't installed them all straight in already, you should go ahead and install them softstepped right off the bat.

I have not installed them already, I have only done the 8i but none of the shafts were cut to the right playing length in the first place so I am having to measure them out and cut them before installing...I have definitely thought about going straight for soft step but when I looked at the new shaft chart softstepping only reduced the FCM by 0.1(6.5 to 6.4) doing it twice got them down to 6.2 which is probably what I need but I'm not sure how playing clubs that much longer will effect the swing

#10 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

View Postthomaslv40, on 23 January 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

I have not installed them already, I have only done the 8i but none of the shafts were cut to the right playing length in the first place so I am having to measure them out and cut them before installing...I have definitely thought about going straight for soft step but when I looked at the new shaft chart softstepping only reduced the FCM by 0.1(6.5 to 6.4) doing it twice got them down to 6.2 which is probably what I need but I'm not sure how playing clubs that much longer will effect the swing

Not sure what chart you're looking at?  C-taper S+ rates at 6.7FCM and soft-stepped once at 6.4FCM and twice at 6.1FCM.  If you only installed the 8i, and it felt overly harsh but your liked the performance from a numbers standpoint you should go ahead and install soft-stepped once.  Put the 6i shaft in your 7 first to test out if you don't want do it all at once without testing first.

Odyssey Versa 1W 34"

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostRosco1216, on 23 January 2013 - 10:30 AM, said:

View Postthomaslv40, on 23 January 2013 - 02:54 AM, said:

Not sure what chart you're looking at?  C-taper S+ rates at 6.7FCM and soft-stepped once at 6.4FCM and twice at 6.1FCM.  If you only installed the 8i, and it felt overly harsh but your liked the performance from a numbers standpoint you should go ahead and install soft-stepped once.  Put the 6i shaft in your 7 first to test out if you don't want do it all at once without testing first.

I was looking at the shaft chart on the pinned topics for this forum, I guess I looked at it wrong...I will go ahead with the soft step....thanks for that clarification!

#12 kg92lefty

kg92lefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124960
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 23 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

How do you read the shaft chart wrong?

#13 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

View Postkg92lefty, on 23 January 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

How do you read the shaft chart wrong?

I was looking at the Tour S+ 6.5 which is in the middle C taper S+ ss 6.4 and C taper X stiff ssx2 6.6 so I crossed the lines thinking I was looking at the C-Taper S+ when actually that line is a few lines down

#14 stumblinhorse

stumblinhorse

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 157179
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

If you haven't installed them yet, I would swap them for Stiff.  I Don't know your swing speed, but S+ would be for a 6i SS pushing mid to upper 90s, with an aggressive transition.  C-tapers are suposed to be for a very small percentage of golfers, and I would say that S+ would be for a tiny percentage.  If you are in the tiny percentage, then throw them in there.  But if you look around and you don't see a big difference between you and everyone else...  You might be wasting your money, and that is no fun.

#15 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

I got the recommendation for the S+ from the KBS website fitting system so that is what I went with...I am going to soft step my 5 or 7 iron because I already have a 4 and 6 iron shaft ready to be installed...I am going to compare the 8i that I have straight in to the one that I soft step...it might be that since I live in Alaska and haven't swung a club since October everything is extra stiff including my body...lol...or it could be that I will need to adjust to the extra stiffness they provide compared to the weaker stiffness in the shafts I have been using for the last 2 years...a lot of variables and you are right about the tiny % being right for the S+ and I don't think I am any different but I got the shafts as pulls from some one here so other than trying to sell them swapping is probably already out of the equation and if thats the case might as well try to get the money already spent out of them any way possible right

#16 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

Just soft step one and try it.  I imagine it would be difficult for anything to feel smooth and "normal" in Alaska this time of year..
Odyssey Versa 1W 34"

#17 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 12:21 AM

View PostRosco1216, on 23 January 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

Just soft step one and try it.  I imagine it would be difficult for anything to feel smooth and "normal" in Alaska this time of year..

yeah we have some indoor sim places and a golf dome...the military base here has a sim they charge $5/hour to use so I go there just so my swing doesn't completely go down the drain....

Tonight I took my 7 iron apart and did a dry swing weight test and it came out to be a D5 with the 6i shaft to get it down to D3 I would need add about 10-12g to the butt and about 6g to get it to D4 I don't have any butt weights but I do have some parallel tip weights that obviously don't fit the taper tips could I epoxy 2 together then epoxy them in the butt of the shaft?

#18 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Just soft-stepping along should make a good difference in the feel.  I'd go ahead and install as is at D5, try it out and see how it feels, then if needed try and bring the swingweight down.  Either by adding some weight under the grip or if possible shortening the shaft a small amount.
Odyssey Versa 1W 34"

#19 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

View PostRosco1216, on 24 January 2013 - 09:44 AM, said:

Just soft-stepping along should make a good difference in the feel.  I'd go ahead and install as is at D5, try it out and see how it feels, then if needed try and bring the swingweight down.  Either by adding some weight under the grip or if possible shortening the shaft a small amount.

thanks for the help!

I think I will do it...I measured the 6i shaft and the 7i shaft and the difference was only about 1/2 inch maybe a touch more...I will have to see what it measure as a playing length though

#20 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,648 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM

View Postthomaslv40, on 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

thanks for the help!

I think I will do it...I measured the 6i shaft and the 7i shaft and the difference was only about 1/2 inch maybe a touch more...I will have to see what it measure as a playing length though

Keep us posted!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:17 PM

View PostSean25rp, on 24 January 2013 - 01:58 PM, said:

View Postthomaslv40, on 24 January 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

thanks for the help!

Keep us posted!

Well the verdict is in I soft stepped my 7 iron and it felt pretty good but the more I swung the straight in 8 it started to feel pretty good too and before long I wasn't really able to tell. I could however tell the difference on half shafts the 7 had a little more feel and was less boardy but I think I could develop some feel with the straight in and I will say the miss hits with the soft step 7 weren't as telling or harsh as in the 8.

I do have a confession for Rosco, :( I tried to epoxy some tip weights in the butt end to get the D4 swing weight because I wanted to eliminate the thought if I like the soft step that the swing weight could be one of the variables so I tried to make a level comparison but unfortunately after about 10 balls the weights broke loose and were sliding up and down the shaft so I don't know how far down the went but it probably had an effect on the swing weight. Now I gotta waste a grip to get the weights out of there. I should have listened but I was hard headed!

I have ordered some tip weights for the rest of the set but now I need to get some butt weight ports just in case I need to butt weight. I still haven't decided if I should soft step since the results were so close.

And I have ordered .370 ferrules 2 times now to go on the kbs hybrid shafts and for the second time they do not fit, is there a way to stretch the ferrule or trim the inside enough to make them fit without damaging them?

#22 thomaslv40

thomaslv40

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2013 - 02:47 AM

I have followed Rosco's advice and I soft stepped the whole set after some time in a sim with the 8 straight in and the 7 soft-stepped...

attached are the results first is the 7i and dispersion and the second set is the 8....Unfortunately the results for the 8 were not as good as the first time I tested it

7 soft stepped definitely had better feel my typical 7 iron was 160-165 yards

Attached Thumbnails

• 2013-02-07 12.36.13.jpg
  • 2013-02-07 12.36.23.jpg
  • 2013-02-07 12.28.45.jpg
  • 2013-02-07 12.28.55.jpg

Edited by thomaslv40, 10 February 2013 - 02:54 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors