Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

PGA tour players going back to their Cameron's?

55 replies to this topic

#1 preshotroutine

preshotroutine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171875
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:57 AM

With Rory going back to his Cameron putter and hearing the talk that nearly every player who has played a Scotty Cameron putter and then switched to another putter has had issues and had to go back to their trusty Cameron.

Why is this the case? For someone who knows nothing about putters other then a Scotty costs as much as a lot of Drivers. Are you really that good?

Seems to me that every great putter has played a Cameron putter and some point.

WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD, OR ARE THEY? OR IS IT A MATTER OF TYPICAL OEM MARKETING HYPE?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2250

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

View Postpreshotroutine, on 21 January 2013 - 11:57 AM, said:

With Rory going back to his Cameron putter and hearing the talk that nearly every player who has played a Scotty Cameron putter and then switched to another putter has had issues and had to go back to their trusty Cameron.

Why is this the case? For someone who knows nothing about putters other then a Scotty costs as much as a lot of Drivers. Are you really that good?

Seems to me that every great putter has played a Cameron putter and some point.

WHY ARE THEY SO GOOD, OR ARE THEY? OR IS IT A MATTER OF TYPICAL OEM MARKETING HYPE?

I don't notice this trend. But maybe I just missed it. Could you name a few of the other guys you're referring to? Thanks
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#3 preshotroutine

preshotroutine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:07 PM

Tiger, Rory, Paul Casey

#4 Onyx Z

Onyx Z

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129053
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

View Postpreshotroutine, on 21 January 2013 - 12:07 PM, said:

Tiger, Rory, Paul Casey

TW went back to the Cameron? Doubtful with the amount of money they are throwing his way...

Edited by Onyx Z, 21 January 2013 - 12:09 PM.

#5 benjammin172

benjammin172

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70425
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

I'd assume that it had more to do with a golfer feeling more comfortable with their older equipment as opposed to their new stuff. I mean lets be honest...you could give Rory a hockey stick and he would still be a better golfer than 99% of the people on the planet. I think he went back to what he was comfortable with after struggling a bit with his new equipment.

#6 Oldboy

Oldboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30613
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

stewart cink and lucas glover both did ..

#7 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2250

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:10 PM

Tiger is using the method. has been pretty consistently since 09.  Rory used his scotty in the second round. and said afterwards he plans to return to the Method. That leaves Paul Casey as your remaining example of what you would have us believe is a trend. I could start a thread that said :"Whats with all of the Players going to the Sabertooth?" then when asked what I mean simply answer "Well stricker did" It's meaningless as these guys switch equipment around all the time. There is no statistical significance to this, even if all 3 of your examples were correct.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#8 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

It's because Scotty Cameron is a magician. He sprinkles magic dust over his putters and puts curses on all other brands.

In all serious though, they're just better. Nothing feels as good as a handmade Scotty, Bettinardi or Piretti... particularly those awful white things which feel like they have been made from recycled beer cans..
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#9 scp1976

scp1976

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98905
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

I have never played with a Cameron so I can't tell you if there is some magic in each one.  What I do know is that the putter is the club that pros keep in the bag the longest.  Even though nike is trying to make a putter that is probley going to be a spitting image of his Cameron it is probley a big mental issue for him to swap out the one club you had consent for who knows how many years.  As for other pros who knows I'm sure someone on here can give a better theory .

#10 mattman

mattman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132226
  • Handicap:1.2
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

It's personal preference, for example Webb is on the titleist staff yet he plays a ping putter.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 preshotroutine

preshotroutine

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

I am not a golf club expert by any means. I am not a very good player either. I love the game and love the equipment. I play maybe if I am lucky 10 times a year. I would play more but I am a high school teacher and have 4 kids. Golf is so expensive. I would play every day if I could and I think about golf 24/7 I love it. So for me because I don't play a lot, but want to I guess I get sucked into the equipment trap.

Anyway I live near a PGA Super store, golf galaxy and a golf smith Xtreme. Over the years I have spent hours hitting clubs and putting at these stores. Of course they have every putter known to man in ever size model etc. Over the years I have putted with every putter in each of these stores. I have to tell you that I can honestly say that the Cameron's feel the best to me. They are the most balanced best sounding, and give the best roll. This is just my opinion.

Of course I will never buy one! I just can't pay over $300.00 for a putter, you can tell every time you strike the ball that they are quality in every way.

Anyone else have this experience?

#12 wcbjr

wcbjr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 876 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114048
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostMarkFromTheUK, on 21 January 2013 - 12:11 PM, said:

It's because Scotty Cameron is a magician. He sprinkles magic dust over his putters and puts curses on all other brands.

In all serious though, they're just better. Nothing feels as good as a handmade Scotty, Bettinardi or Piretti... particularly those awful white things which feel like they have been made from recycled beer cans..

Ping much?

...here comes endless debate using nothing but opinion...

#13 whatshannenin

whatshannenin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39849
GolfWRX Likes : 166

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

This seems like a roll bread.....

#14 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,577 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1001

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postzerofade, on 21 January 2013 - 12:10 PM, said:

stewart cink and lucas glover both did ..

That's probably because Nike left a bad taste in their mouths when they were both dropped this year.

#15 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
GolfWRX Likes : 569

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

View Postwcbjr, on 21 January 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Ping much?

...here comes endless debate using nothing but opinion...

Actually you're right... the Anser Milled putters feel great. Not so sure about the others though.

Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#16 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 678

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Cameron's are handmade? I'm not sure how handmade 'Turn cnc machine on. Load cutting specifications for X product. Press start.' is.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster, 21 January 2013 - 12:34 PM.

#17 scottcheek

scottcheek

Is this legal?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4182
  • Ebay ID:scott0229
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

Putters are the money maker...making putts consistently across different surfaces requires feel.  Players who are successful have a trust and feel in their putter that cannot be easily replaced or duplicated.  That's the answer, just so happens the examples you used all came to the PGA Tour through extreme success as an amateur using Titleist and Scotty equipment.

#18 Konklifer

Konklifer

Thinkin' of a master plan...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Say what you want but I see many more Odyssey's on the PGA tour and around the world than Camerons.  And I'm not a basher as I have a GoLo S and think it is a great stick.
Callaway X2H 10.5, Tour Green, 44.5
Callaway X2HP 17, X2H hybrid 19
Callaway XHP 5-AW, PX 95 5.5
Cobra TR 55/TM TP 58, Tour Issue S400
Ping Karsten TR B60, 35"
TM TP

#19 Jamboy72

Jamboy72