Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

RAZR Fit Extreme and X Utility Review

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bradkv

bradkv

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3265
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well, I have an entire Callaway bag ordered for 2013, including the Extreme driver, X Hot Pro 13.5 3 wood, X Utility 18*, Versa #1 wide, and the new X Forged irons.  So far, I have received the utility and the driver, and I thought I'd review them for you guys.

First, a little about me.  I carry a +1.2 handicap, have played blades almost exclusively for nearly 20 years, with the odd short voyage into a cavity back club, and I consider myself a good ballstriker, with a very inept short game.  My SS is around 115, I hit a high, spinny ball, and my shot shape is typically a draw.  I have always struggled finding a driver that doesn't spin too much, as I'm a touch flippy at the bottom of my swing and tend to add a little loft to the club at impact.  I take a deep divot with the irons.

First off, the utility.  I've carried a 17-18* hybrid for several years, but I've never found one I really liked.  My best effort at this was a 17* Tour Issued Taylor Made Rescue TP at 17* loft with a Fujikura 904 X shaft.  It's the only hybrid Ive ever found that didn't balloon or snap left on occasion, and I kept it for nearly 2 years, but on a whim got rid of it.  When this Callaway Utility hit the market, I ordered one sight unseen with a X100 shaft, the shaft I've played for nearly my entire golfing "career", or at least since I got to be relatively consistent.  I've always been able to hit long irons, and still carry a 3 iron because I simply don't struggle to get the ball in the air.  I thought this club would be perfect for me, being easy to elevate, and hard to hook.  I was right.  Callaway really did their homework on this one.  I've played the MP Fli Hi irons, and they're really good from fairway lies and off of the tee, but they are awful from iffy lies.  This Callaway is wonderful from the light, even moderate rough.  It slices right through, allowing good contact and gets up in the air pretty quickly, while flattening out and penetrating through the air.  It's easy to land it pretty soft, and very very workable.  Off the tee, it's simply a rocket.  I don't hit it as long as a hybrid, due to the shorter length and added weight, but It's just so controllable.  It's a very soft feeling club, and is a good match for my current Razr MB setup.  It flies as far as I would expect a 2 iron to fly, but offers much better forgiveness and ease getting the ball in the air.  From fairway lies, the forward sole grind is just wonderful, cutting through the turf and never "sticking" in the ground.

On to the driver.  I've played the RAZR Fit for a while now, with a Tour AD DI7x tipped 3//4".  When it came in, it was entirely too soft for me, being 45.5" long and swingweighting at D7.  I pulled the shaft, tipped it 3/4", and reinstalled it, bringing the SW down to D2, and making the club SO much better.  The Extreme suffers the same issue for me.  With the 7M3 X, it's 45.5" long, and swingweights at D7.  However, this shaft does not play as soft as the DI7 did.  I probably won't need to tip it, but I will take some off of the butt end to get the swingweight down, as D7 is just too heavy for me in a driver.  I have trouble releasing the club at this weight, losing shots right, which is not the miss I want.  I decided this weekend, until I could tinker with the 7M3 shaft, that I'd play with the DI7 in it, so I got a good feel for a comparison of the 2 heads.  Well, the Extreme is longer....noticeably longer.  It launches just a touch lower, and spins less.  I don't have launch monitor numbers to compare, but I could see a difference in the flight.  Flatter, hotter, and more carry was the norm.  I also saw a notable softening of my normal draw, and I attribute that to the fact that at the open setting, this club is more open than the original fit.  Both heads are 8.5*, and I played them both in the open setting.  The sound is different, too, with the RFX being just a bit louder and more metallic sounding to me than my Fit.  I've really grown accustomed to the sound of the Fit, but I have to admit, by the end of the weekend, I liked the sound of the RFX better.  It's also just as forgiving as the Fit, which was a pleasant surprise.  I personally think it performs identically on shots hit on the toe, but is more forgiving than the Fit when hit on the heel.  My heel hits are hotter than the Fit, and curve back in to the right more than the Fit does.  Being a lower spin head, it runs out a little more and definitely performs better in the wind with the lower launch and spin.  It is just beautiful at address, looking just like the FT Tour without the crown seam.  Overall, I would say this driver is an absolute home run for Callaway.  They already had a great product in the Fit with the right shaft, and this head is noticeably better.  I would only caution you with regard to the length and weight, but some people may like the heavier swingweight.

I am really excited about this year on the golf course.  If the rest of their new lineup performs as well as the utility club and the RFX, I can see some really good rounds in my future!  Thanks to Callaway for researching, developing, and providing some great products!

SLDR 430, 9*, Matrix 7M3 X
SLDR 14*, Fujikura Speeder 8.3 X
undecided
Undecided
Metal X Milled #6
Callaway MackDaddy 2 52, 56, 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 whatsthecourserecord

whatsthecourserecord

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6716
  • Handicap:+0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Nice review and thanks for spending the time to write it up.  Cant wait to hear how you like the 3 wd, putter, and irons.  Callaway has really stepped it up this year!
Xhot 9.5* open setting D+ 72X
TM Stage 2 14.5* Oban Revenge 8X
Adams Super DHY 18* Ozik White HX3X
Ping I20 3-P CFS X with cushin
Ping Rustique 52 Cally Xforged 58 S400
Scotty Select Newport 2

#3 Mob

Mob

Just Another Lefty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185540
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 131

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the info., I am looking forward to getting mine.  I cut all my shafts so I play them about 44 3/4 inches.  I am surprised that your club weight was D7, as they said that the swing weight was supposed to be D4 or D5 (I can't remember which).  I guess that just shows how the tolerances are alittle loose for all these OEMs.
Crazy 435 with Crazy LS Noir 80 stiff
Callaway 13 3Deep with Fubuki K 70X
Adams Super 9031 and Ping i20 hybrids
Epon AF302 copper irons 5-PW
Scotty Cameron Select Golo putter
Epon 210KGX + Yururi Raw Gekku Wedge

#4 enis750

enis750

Do Work

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,874 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 105306
  • Handicap:Low
  • Ebay ID:enis750
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

really good write up OP, thanks
Nike VR Ltd. 9.5 Fuji Speeder 6.3 TS
Callaway X2HP 15 Aldila Tour Green 75
Adams DHy 24 Pro Force V2 100
Titleist 735 cm 5-P DGS300
Callaway MD 52, MD2 56s, 60c
TM Counter Balance MANTA 38"

#5 JaNelson38

JaNelson38

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199901
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

2013 is going to be a very good year for Callaway.

#6 tdk8180

tdk8180

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77908
GolfWRX Likes : 79

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Yes, the RFE is a beautiful club.  However, I'm finding my Razr Fit TA from last year to be a slightly better performer on the launch monitor, but I haven't hit one on the course yet, and that is the final test.

#7 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Thanks for posting your review. Loving what I'm hearing about the Utility and I hope I'll have the same success. Your feedback on the driver has been spot on compared to most others I've seen here. I had a brief trial with the RFE and while it got decent numbers with the stock Trinity 65X, it hasn't wowed me performance wise. The cosmetics and feel however, are exceptional, and I'll be doing a full demo/fitting at a CPC along with the X Hots to see for sure. Will make sure to bring my own driver to compare too. I can't wait.

#8 G-Bone

G-Bone

Better than most...

• 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50361
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Great review, thank you!

Sadly I didn't find the same magic coming from my Fit to the Extreme that you did (boy did I want to!).  However, I have fallen in love with the X Utility, its a perfect blend between hybrid and long iron.  So, as one Callaway was removed from my bag for 2013 it was replaced with another... So goes the rotation of live. ;)
Cobra Bio Cell 9º ~ Diamana D+
TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 15º • 19º ~ AD GT
Adams Pro 20º ~ AD DI
Nike VR_S Forged 5–PW ~ SteelFiber
Scratch 51º • 57º • 63º ~ SteelFiber
Cameron CT Del Mar Teryllium Prototype

#9 texcrom

texcrom

Major Winner

• 2,825 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1800
  • Ebay ID:texsuserid
GolfWRX Likes : 116

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Totally agree with you on the RFE, and really like the 7M3 shaft.

Was not as thrilled with the irons and hybrid, and put them in the Classifieds on here after one round. have now been convinced by a friend that I need to give them a few rounds, as I was moving from literally decades of Dynamic Gold shafts to the lighter PXi. In retrospect, I was starting to hit some really nice shots near the end of the round. We'll see.

But the driver was outstanding from shot #1!
Taylor Made R7 425TP 9.5 degree
Taylor Made R7 TP 3 wood 15 degree
Ping i20 5 wood 19 degree
Titleist 714 AP2 4-PW S-300
Vokey SM5 50/08F, 54/14S, & 58/9M
Ping Anser

#10 bradkv

bradkv

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 786 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3265
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

My irons (coming) and my utility all have x100 shafts.  I really considered swapping to the pxi shafts, but I just know the x100 so well.  A friend of mine has the pxi shaft in some Taylor made Mb's and I hit them for a couple of rounds.  After some time with them I know I could have played some great golf with that shaft, but I decided just to stick with what I know....hang in there.  You'll get used to them.

SLDR 430, 9*, Matrix 7M3 X
SLDR 14*, Fujikura Speeder 8.3 X
undecided
Undecided
Metal X Milled #6
Callaway MackDaddy 2 52, 56, 60

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 dmbao

dmbao

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

View Posttdk8180, on 21 January 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

Yes, the RFE is a beautiful club.  However, I'm finding my Razr Fit TA from last year to be a slightly better performer on the launch monitor, but I haven't hit one on the course yet, and that is the final test.

View Posttdk8180, on 21 January 2013 - 05:16 PM, said:

I loved the Razr Fit TA so will try the Extreme but skeptical it will be as good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors