Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Unusual Stamping on a Wilsonian Hickory Putter

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tez

Tez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153799
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

Wilsonian 1.jpg

I was going through my golf collection and I came across a putter I had picked up at the good ole Goodwill some time back. At the time I didn't look at it too closely since it was only $1.00. Today I noticed the stamping on the back of the putter has a flaw on the "The Wilsonian" and "Wilson". It had been doubled stamped. The other stamping on the back is fine without flaws just "The Wilsonian" and "Wilson".

My question is does this affect the value at all? I know the putter does not hold any real value but I have never seen a double stamping on an old club before. Was this common or rare?

The other oddity is the shaft is straight when you line up the club for a putt (no bending left or right) but it has a good bend in it from front to back. It doesn't affect the performance at all, it just strange how it bowed.

Below are the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails

• Wilsonian 2.jpg
  • Wilsonian 3.jpg
  • Wilsonian 4.jpg
  • Wilsonian 5.jpg

Edited by Tez, 21 January 2013 - 04:34 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Bella Woods

Bella Woods

Bella Woods

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99799
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

Tez:

I have seen more than a few double stamped hickory iron heads (and some hickory woods - I
have a double stamped driver that I can't even make out the name because it).

Could be from a "slip" when striking the stamp, trying to correct a weak stamp etc.

The bowed shaft sounds like the result of the way it has been stored over the years, unless somebody
did it on purpose (along the lines of the "St. Andrews bow").

#3 Tez

Tez

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153799
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

Bella Woods, on 21 January 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Tez:

I have seen more than a few double stamped hickory iron heads (and some hickory woods - I

Could be from a "slip" when striking the stamp, trying to correct a weak stamp etc.

The bowed shaft sounds like the result of the way it has been stored over the years, unless somebody

Thanks for your input. Like I said before I don't put much value to it, but it makes for some interesting conversation. BTW what is the proper way to store a hickory club?

#4 stixman

stixman

Hickory Golf in the Now!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131937
  • Handicap:10.6
  • Ebay ID:autolycan
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21 AM

Tez, on 21 January 2013 - 09:17 PM, said:

Bella Woods, on 21 January 2013 - 04:04 PM, said:

Tez:

Thanks for your input. Like I said before I don't put much value to it, but it makes for some interesting conversation. BTW what is the proper way to store a hickory club?
Re. St Andrews bow, as Bella says could be designed like this. the intention was to stop turning the blade over, think of it as 19 Century face balancing. Ideally the top of the shaft should be pointing at the center of the club face. It is easily done (or undone).
Joe Powell Mock Hickory Driver
3 + 5 Mac. Custom Persimmon
Apex II,or 1968 Dynas, or Nicoll Cottons
Wilson PW
1935 Wilson R90, real deal
Chris H

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors