Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

My Byron Morgan fitting experience

68 replies to this topic

#1 Ironoak

Ironoak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171821
  • Ebay ID:ironoak9
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:12 AM

I have been in the market for a new putter for a while now. I love the 009 and really love the look of Byron's dh89. After reading some posts here I decided to make the leap and move on from my scotty np2.

I filled out an order form and was contacted by Dave immediately. This is where the amazing customer service started. I have had over 20 emails back and forth with Dave about making the correct decision for me and my putting style. I started out wanting a GSS dh89. After many conversations about getting the correct feel and weight I decided to get one in American SS. I wanted to go with this as a "feel" out kind of tester putter.

I was then blown away when Dave offered to send out a demo putter for me to try for a week. A phone conversation followed and we covered everything imaginable about getting fit for the proper putter. Dave has gone above and beyond to make sure I get the right putter for me.

I am truly grateful that Byron has such an amazing customer service. Good luck getting this kind of treatment with say scotty, or any other high end putter manufacturer. Dave is shipping the demo out Monday. I will post my experience with the demo along with some pictures.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 jmac13

jmac13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55800
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:58 AM

Great to hear. I've ordered Byron's from Dave and Steve. Both are top notch guys. With two of the Byron's I have ordered, I actually received a call from Byron himself just double checking the order to make sure he had it right. Both times we took care of the details pretty quick, then had a good 15 minute conversation on whatever came up. Very humble and down to earth guy. Welcome to one of the best kept secrets in putters.

#3 pgagreg1

pgagreg1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123073
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:30 AM

View PostIronoak, on 21 January 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

I have been in the market for a new putter for a while now. I love the 009 and really love the look of Byron's dh89. After reading some posts here I decided to make the leap and move on from my scotty np2.

I filled out an order form and was contacted by Dave immediately. This is where the amazing customer service started. I have had over 20 emails back and forth with Dave about making the correct decision for me and my putting style. I started out wanting a GSS dh89. After many conversations about getting the correct feel and weight I decided to get one in American SS. I wanted to go with this as a "feel" out kind of tester putter.

I was then blown away when Dave offered to send out a demo putter for me to try for a week. A phone conversation followed and we covered everything imaginable about getting fit for the proper putter. Dave has gone above and beyond to make sure I get the right putter for me.

I am truly grateful that Byron has such an amazing customer service. Good luck getting this kind of treatment with say scotty, or any other high end putter manufacturer. Dave is shipping the demo out Monday. I will post my experience with the demo along with some pictures.

so there aren't any golf stores in your area with demo putters?
too bad, there are lots of stores in most areas that let you demo different model putters

#4 Scotty1140

Scotty1140

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132137
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:16 AM

View Postpgagreg1, on 21 January 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

too bad, there are lots of stores in most areas that let you demo different model putters
For a custom putter maker? :huh:  I'd guess most shops (unfortunately) haven't even heard of Byron Morgan.

#5 Ironoak

Ironoak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Of course there are shops in my area but not any that offer custom hand made putters to demo.

#6 pgagreg1

pgagreg1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

so if you putted lights out with the demo would you keep it or still order a different putter.

#7 jmac13

jmac13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

I'm not going to answer for the op, but I will give my opinion. I'd try the demo and if I putted "lights out" with it, I'd probably try to order it to the exact same specs. The great thing is he can try it and make changes if he thinks a different neck style, finish, milling, or weight would be better.

I see the sarcasm in Greg's post, but I'm betting a Scotty dealer is not going to send a 009 out to anyone that isn't a tour player. So for us mere mortals, this is about as good as it gets.

#8 10_ft_Jon_Boat

10_ft_Jon_Boat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129602
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

Great customer service and post!  I enjoy hearing about the process.  Ignore the people with comments about "demo" putters.

#9 Ironoak

Ironoak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

View Postpgagreg1, on 21 January 2013 - 04:46 PM, said:

so if you putted lights out with the demo would you keep it or still order a different putter.

Great question! I guess if it fits my eye, feels butter smooth, and putts lights out I would for sure be ordering the exact same putter! The main goal of the demo for me is to feel the head weight and try the long pipe welded neck. Coming from the scotty with adjustable weights I'm used to a heavier putter and we want to make sure I get that same balance in the Byron putter.

I'm pretty excited to try the long neck and see what it does for my stroke. I have a strong arc and Dave believes the rincon shorter neck will best suit me, but I'm curious how the long neck will perform.

I will keep you guys posted on the experience.

#10 jmac13

jmac13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Don't discount that long pipe too quickly. I have a strong arc as well and have a long pipe DaKine mini that I putt well with. The great thing about Byron is he can take a neck like the long pipe and give you the offset and toe hang you want. Another option if you like the look of plumbers necks but can't handle the offset or limited toe hang, is a stubby plumbers neck with 1/2 offset. This set up lets me keep the plumbers neck look I'm a little more comfortable with, but I can release the putter naturally without a big pull.

I hope I'm not confusing you, this is the problem with Byron: Too many options and if you ask him, his answer is usually, "yep, we can do that". :)

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 greens hit

greens hit

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55587
GolfWRX Likes : 367

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

View Postjmac13, on 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

I'm not going to answer for the op, but I will give my opinion. I'd try the demo and if I putted "lights out" with it, I'd probably try to order it to the exact same specs. The great thing is he can try it and make changes if he thinks a different neck style, finish, milling, or weight would be better.

I see the sarcasm in Greg's post, but I'm betting a Scotty dealer is not going to send a 009 out to anyone that isn't a tour player. So for us mere mortals, this is about as good as it gets.

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but I'm sure he's putting down a deposit before he shipped out the demo.

#12 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 297

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Is this Greg from TCC?
How quickly can we get you into a Byron? Loads of TCC members have them. I'm sure you can try one at the SoCal Hula event, and then order one at 1/3 the Scotty price  with 5 times the customization.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#13 jmac13

jmac13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

That's what I don't understand Ryan. I just don't understand why some people can't accept that both make great putters. I'm a member at TCC, and love the old school Newports (have 5 total), but the weight and the offset aren't optimal for my stroke. Being a lefty, there aren't many options in the OTR's, and I don't have the desire to spend $3000 to have one made to my specs. Don't get me wrong, I love the way those TeI3's and Oil Can Newports feel, but at the end of the day, the Byron's feel as good, and put the ball in the hole a bit more often.

#14 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:17 PM

I have this fantasy that one day Scotty will talk about his past with his old pal Byron. How Byron opened up his shop in Huntington Beach decades ago, so Scotty would have place to learn and build after Scotty left his mother's garage. There's a lot of panache from having the financial backing of a fortune 500 to market putters. There's also a LOT of pressure on Scotty to retain his retail presence when stocks  are involved.
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#15 rrkman

rrkman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47247
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I have a fantasy that one day, all these people that seem to know all these stories will stop throwing out little pieces here and there and just tell them.

#16 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Got to get Scotty to talk somehow. The other guys are only a phone call/email away. The people that know have posted tons of info for years, but it fades away.
Scotty, Byron and John Ortega were biz partners back in the day. They were working on a driver that was to be the first metal head with an internal hosel. Scotty left (mystery there), so it was left up to JohnByron. Callaway beat them to punch with the internal hosel.
Scotty was the young guy in the group and learned a lot from the older guys. Dozens of stories there.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#17 PaulFitz

PaulFitz

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126262
  • Ebay ID:cameronfreak4
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

View Postfinalist, on 21 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

Got to get Scotty to talk somehow. The other guys are only a phone call/email away. The people that know have posted tons of info for years, but it fades away.
Scotty, Byron and John Ortega were biz partners back in the day. They were working on a driver that was to be the first metal head with an internal hosel. Scotty left (mystery there), so it was left up to JohnByron. Callaway beat them to punch with the internal hosel.
Scotty was the young guy in the group and learned a lot from the older guys. Dozens of stories there.

Sounds like there's been quite a bit of history made in the shop!! I'd love to hear some kind of chronicling from Byron about the early days!

#18 putter_ho89

putter_ho89

Byron Putter Ho Here!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82024
  • Ebay ID:nvgolfdude

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:24 AM

View PostPaulFitz, on 21 January 2013 - 11:19 PM, said:

View Postfinalist, on 21 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

Sounds like there's been quite a bit of history made in the shop!! I'd love to hear some kind of chronicling from Byron about the early days!

Come to the next Club Byron gathering and meet the man himself along with the great folks who come together to play golf, share putters, and hear stories.

#19 putter_ho89

putter_ho89

Byron Putter Ho Here!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

View Postgreens hit, on 21 January 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

View Postjmac13, on 21 January 2013 - 07:11 PM, said:

Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but I'm sure he's putting down a deposit before he shipped out the demo.

Every situation is unique, but in this case I am not requiring a deposit.

#20 putter_ho89

putter_ho89

Byron Putter Ho Here!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

He will have to order another putter.  This putter is not for sale.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 putter_ho89

putter_ho89

Byron Putter Ho Here!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

View Postpgagreg1, on 21 January 2013 - 04:30 AM, said:

Byron putters are not found in any golf stores at this time.  They are available only through his reps and every now and then you might find a few of Byron's putters in the pro shop at Meadowlark Golf Course in Huntington Beach, CA.

#22 putter_ho89

putter_ho89

Byron Putter Ho Here!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:38 AM

...I was then blown away when Dave offered to send out a demo putter for me to try for a week. A phone conversation followed and we covered everything imaginable about getting fit for the proper putter. Dave has gone above and beyond to make sure I get the right putter for me.

John, I am priviledged to share the amazing work of Byron with anyone who is sincerely interested.  We always strive to deliver a personal experience to each customer that is comparable to that which a tour player receives.  It is our niche.  A company cannot possibly make tens of thousands of putters a year and delivery 1 to 1 customer service to everyone.  Our focus is on the experience and the finished product being as fine a putting instrument as anyone can deliver.

#23 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70369
  • Ebay ID:goswo
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

I'm sold ... just can't wait to work on mine Friday when I return from NoCal.  Can't wait to see how the CNC milling of the diamond and huge DH89 letters/numbers came out in the cavity.  This will truly be a one off!
Titleist 913D3 8.5* Fuel proto 65X                 Titleist 913Fd 15* Fuel 70X                 Titleist 712U 2 DG S-300                 Crazy ltd MB 3-PW DG Pro S-300                 Vokey Forged 52* & TVD BV 58* DGTI                 Newport TeI3 sole stamp                 WITB Link

#24 pgagreg1

pgagreg1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:37 AM

View Postfinalist, on 21 January 2013 - 08:43 PM, said:

Is this Greg from TCC?
How quickly can we get you into a Byron? Loads of TCC members have them. I'm sure you can try one at the SoCal Hula event, and then order one at 1/3 the Scotty price  with 5 times the customization.

sure is. I'm almost always pgagreg on the internet.

I will let you in on a secret, I have never ordered a custom putter from anybody. I have used the same putter for 5 years. I have had a few rounds with other ones but I don't change gamers very often.
I have a long flowing stroke so the lighter weight of my Augusta Winner works just fine for me.

I have met Bryon in person and spent some time talking with him. I like him and think he is a real gentleman.
I met him at a Cameron Collectors party that Rand hosted in Orlando at the PGA show some years ago.

You could interpret my comments as sarcastic but they were intended as a response to the OP comments "Good luck getting this kind of treatment with say scotty, or any other high end putter manufacturer"

Getting Scotty to personally make you a putter is like wanting to play golf with Tiger. Good luck with Tiger unless you have 3 million for an appearance fee.  But if you wanted to play golf with me I'm available and coming to SoCal next month :derisive:
But it can be done. I once saw a friend show Scotty a drawing on a napkin for a custom putter he wanted. Scotty loved the idea and design and Mike had his putter in less than 6 months. Other times Scotty takes 2 years to complete a custom order. I'm guessing Scotty has lots of work on his plate and the reality is he only has 24 hours in the day. So he has to make a choice. Does he have the time for 20 emails with every guy that wants a custom putter or has he committed his time to Titleist, PGA tour guys and gals, up and coming college players, his distributors, his custom shop, his club cameron store and his family where there just isn't enough time left for joe average public to exchange 20 emails about his desire for a new putter.

Those statements always come off as sour grapes to me. Why would you whine about not having access to Scotty unless you thought he was something special? And to lump in all the other high end putter manufacturers is a little unfair because that's how they have carved out their niche,
I'm sure Jay, Lamont, Venno or several other guys could have done the same thing with 20 emails.

I went on further about the demo putter because each golf club has it's own feel. Even exact duplicates feel different. Why do you think Tiger only used his gamer and never his backup.
I have had it happen where people demo a driver and love it. I order the exact same one and it just doesn't hit like the demo. They end up buying the original demo because for whatever reason that's the club for them. I think the same thing can happen with putters. Not 2 are exactly alike. They have different feels and looks. Now I will grant you that not everyone has developed enough touch to tell the difference but it is there. It might explain why I have had my gamer so long

Edited by pgagreg1, 22 January 2013 - 07:46 AM.

#25 rrkman

rrkman

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47247
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:49 AM

I bought a used Dh89 to 'demo'.  I kept it.  There's a few other Byrons I've thought about, or even tried.  Still like the demo.

The shop is definitely on my list.  I've talked to Dave every year about the mixer but it just hasn't worked out.  I'd love to see a real history of this stuff put together....if I knew enough, I'd do it.

#26 bargolf

bargolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38392
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:17 AM

View PostIronoak, on 21 January 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Great question! I guess if it fits my eye, feels butter smooth, and putts lights out I would for sure be ordering the exact same putter! The main goal of the demo for me is to feel the head weight and try the long pipe welded neck. Coming from the scotty with adjustable weights I'm used to a heavier putter and we want to make sure I get that same balance in the Byron putter.

I'm pretty excited to try the long neck and see what it does for my stroke. I have a strong arc and Dave believes the rincon shorter neck will best suit me, but I'm curious how the long neck will perform.

I think Dave's was good advice on the rincon neck. If you do go with a long neck if it is face balanced with your strong arc, the putter might influence the stroke so the putter rotates shut on the back swing. Long left and short right misses are typical. Talk to the guys about pushing the toe hang as close to 45 degrees as Byron can. I don't know the range on the DH89 but I have seen long pipes at 40 degrees and they work great with strong arcs.

Edited by bargolf, 22 January 2013 - 08:23 AM.

#27 jmac13

jmac13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 08:38 AM

My long pipe is about 4:15 and is bent to 68* as well. The flatter the lie, the more it takes it back towards face balanced.

#28 Ironoak

Ironoak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

View Postbargolf, on 22 January 2013 - 08:17 AM, said:

View PostIronoak, on 21 January 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

I think Dave's was good advice on the rincon neck. If you do go with a long neck if it is face balanced with your strong arc, the putter might influence the stroke so the putter rotates shut on the back swing. Long left and short right misses are typical. Talk to the guys about pushing the toe hang as close to 45 degrees as Byron can. I don't know the range on the DH89 but I have seen long pipes at 40 degrees and they work great with strong arcs.

Thanks for the advice and Dave also mentioned this in our last phone conversation. With my stroke I think that is going to be the route I take.

Really appreciate the help!

#29 bargolf

bargolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38392
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:26 PM

Good Luck!  Post pictures.

#30 Ironoak

Ironoak

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

View Postbargolf, on 22 January 2013 - 02:26 PM, said:

Good Luck!  Post pictures.

Absolutely! I just got the tracking number and the demo is on its way and should be here by Friday. Super excited and will post pictures

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors