Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Measuring Distance

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nochct1

nochct1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57177
  • Ebay ID:dlcloser
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Yes, another distance discussion.

I was out on my local course today for a walk and it got me thinking about how distance is measured by most golfers.

When I play with an average golfer, they oftentimes come up short of the hole and then they claim to be "just short". Now lets look at the actual distance of "just short of the green." An average golf course will have green that are 25-30 yards long. And let's assume that the ball is closer to 10 yards short of the green, not 2-3 yards like most people think.

If you use the above example, how many people claim to hit it 15-20 yards further than they really do? How many people claim to hit 8 iron 160, and then when they are short of the green they actually hit it it 140. The average golfer gets to the ball at the front of the green and don't bother to measure how far they are from the center of the green. On a 30 yard green they will be 15 yards shorter than they think.

This happens even more on short par 4's. Plenty of golfers hit a big drive on a short 300 yard par 4, they come up short and will claim to have hit a 290-295 drive. But if they are 10 yards short of the green, then they actually hit a drive that was about 275.

Do others see this miscalculation of distance on a regular basis? Do you bother to correct the "300 yard drive guy" or do you just let them keep claiming to hit the ball that far?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 nochct1

nochct1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57177
  • Ebay ID:dlcloser
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 20 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Please move to General Golf. Looks like I posted in the wrong section. Thanks.

#3 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

The Putting Doctor

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

Most golfers are eternal optimists when it comes to distance.  The foundation I suggest for each new FlightScope instructor is to offer " bag gapping " service for their customers.  With the simple task of hitting 5 shots for each and every club in the bag in front of the radar we can come up with a very solid distance and dispersion table for reference.  This can often be a humbling experience for those who think they are longer than they really are.  But if you play to your average distance and then employ local knowledge or gps / laser / optical rangefinders for pin and back of the green distances you can really select the appropriate club that will get you there with a minds eye of what is too far.  As you noted the tendency is to come up short so why continue to play for that result.

On the green this same scenario is important and why I use my tape measure on the green to have students pace out specific distance strides as well as clandestine amble strides.  It's important to know your stride distances for measuring your putt distances too.

#4 ABgolfer2

ABgolfer2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87340
GolfWRX Likes : 189

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:45 PM

At my home course guys learn to overestimate approach distances by about a club because 1.) our greens don't hold so well on the back 2/3 of the green and 2.) short is usually either in a bunker or closely mown grass whereas long is either in the bush, in the muskeg/swamp, or in grass so long you're luck if you find your ball at all. I'd much rather play 18 holes there with someone continually coming up 1 club short since they tend to play quicker, unless of course they're leaving their kit in the fairway and having to retrace their steps after holing out. That gets old.

#5 MiniJ83

MiniJ83

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152899
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

I'm still a big fan of just focusing on MY game, and not the shortcomings of others.

#6 Rosco1216

Rosco1216

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117052
  • Ebay ID:Rosco1216
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

To each their own..let them hit the ball in the water short of the green or not carry the creek that's 250 from the tee across the fairway.  What do you mean by average guys?  Most "average" golfers have no idea how far they hit there clubs nor do they strike the ball consistently enough to get a real average.  Plus they probably don't really care how far they hit each club.  To those guys..if they are "just short" on a 300 yard par 4.  Let them think they just drove it 285(when it's really 265-270) because it makes them feel good.  But to the golfer who is serious and wants to get better..he will care and really want to know his yardages.
Anser 8.5*-Speeder 8.2X TS
Anser 14.5*-Speeder 8.2X TS
Rocketbladez Tour 3i 20* - PX Rifle 6.5
Bridgestone J40DPC 4-P, PX Rifle 6.5
Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Vokey SM4 62*
Odyssey Versa 1W 34"

#7 chirotennis

chirotennis

The man with the Iron Thumbs

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 189796
  • Handicap:~15
  • Ebay ID:chirotennis
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 22 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

I measure using my Matrix Shotmate, quick push of the button and it tells me exactly how far I hit it, another one tells me distance to the center of the green.  Best $100 I have spent on golf...
A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
WITB Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors