Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Next trip for me should be?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Kevinmcfl

Kevinmcfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222319
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

I have a life goal of playing in all 50 states.  I am from NY and have played all the states along the east coat except for Georgia.  I gave also played West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Nevada.  My wife and I recently had a baby and life has been hectic.  She knows how important this goal is to me and she has granted me a 4 day pass to go anywhere this July.  Where should I go to get one or more staes off the list.  Heat doen not bother me but the courses must be somewhat reasonable in price.  The other problem is a might have to go alone because most of my buddies take their golf trip in the spring.  19 states and counting.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bwb

bwb

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109909
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

If you flew into Chicago, I would think it would be pretty easy to play in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan on a 4 day trip. There is some really good public golf at reasonable prices in that area as well as lots of WRX’s to hook up with.
Good luck on the goal and enjoy the baby they grow fast.

#3 vpd

vpd

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150223
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostKevinmcfl, on 18 January 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

I have a life goal of playing in all 50 states.  I am from NY and have played all the states along the east coat except for Georgia.  I gave also played West Virginia, Ohio, Kentucky and Nevada.  My wife and I recently had a baby and life has been hectic.  She knows how important this goal is to me and she has granted me a 4 day pass to go anywhere this July.  Where should I go to get one or more staes off the list.  Heat doen not bother me but the courses must be somewhat reasonable in price.  The other problem is a might have to go alone because most of my buddies take their golf trip in the spring.  19 states and counting.
If you can withstand the heat, Phoenix/Scottsdale will have some great bargains on some extremely nice track. However, the heat in July is god awful.

#4 Kevinmcfl

Kevinmcfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:39 PM

View Postbwb, on 18 January 2013 - 04:31 PM, said:

If you flew into Chicago, I would think it would be pretty easy to play in Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Michigan on a 4 day trip. There is some really good public golf at reasonable prices in that area as well as lots of WRX’s to hook up with.

#5 mallrat

mallrat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Bandon Dunes and cross Oregon off your list.

#6 jli2636

jli2636

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 129436
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ive never been up there but Michigan would be my recommendation. Also playing in the Kansas City area you could knock out Missouri and Kansas in one trip.

#7 2bGood

2bGood

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91033
GolfWRX Likes : 111

Posted 18 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

View Postmallrat, on 18 January 2013 - 06:21 PM, said:

Bandon Dunes and cross Oregon off your list.

That would be pricey in July - he should save it for an off season buddy trip

#8 sabram

sabram

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:40 AM

A  solo trip with some GREAT and CHEAP golf is Colorado and Nebraska. It will take some driving, but it is well worth it. Fly into Denver there are usually plenty of cheap flights on United from Newark as Newark and Denver are United hubs. Not far from the Denver airport are Buffalo Run, Green Valley Ranch and Riverdale - Dunes. Three excellent public courses that are very reasonably priced. Play one of those and then drive to Ogalla Nebraska to Bayside golf course and stay in one of the cabins at Bayside and play 36 holes They have inexpensive packages. Then drive to Gothenburg and play Wildhorse and play 36 holes there. Wildhorse and Bayside aren't Bandon, but they are the next best thing at a fraction of the price.  It is a 3-4 hour drive back to Denver (less than the drive between Bandon and Portland) You will have a great trip and have  played some of the best public courses in those two states.

Posted Image
Bayside #6 approach - rev by tewiespix, on Flickr

Posted Image
Wild Horse #10 right side 110 yards out - rev by tewiespix, on Flickr

Posted Image
Buffalo Run #2 view back toward tee r by tewiespix, on Flickr

Posted Image
Riverdale - Dunes - #4 par 3 r by tewiespix, on Flickr

#9 deadsolid...shank

deadsolid...shank

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99408
GolfWRX Likes : 388

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:13 AM

I like Sabram's idea, plus when you've finished at Wildhorse, go south from North Platte 70 miles and play Heritage Hills in McCook.  Then go continue south to I70 in Kansas and pick up a course in someplace like Colby or Goodland, then back to DIA on I70. A long loop, but some really good golf courses at some really great prices, and three states off the list.
Titleist 910D2 8.5* Diamana D+
Titleist 910F 15* GD YSQ
Titleist 910H 17* Diamana Kai'li 80
2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
Putter changes constantly
Mizuno MP-R12 53 & 58

#10 Kevinmcfl

Kevinmcfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

View Postsabram, on 19 January 2013 - 05:40 AM, said:

A  solo trip with some GREAT and CHEAP golf is Colorado and Nebraska. It will take some driving, but it is well worth it. Fly into Denver there are usually plenty of cheap flights on United from Newark as Newark and Denver are United hubs. Not far from the Denver airport are Buffalo Run, Green Valley Ranch and Riverdale - Dunes. Three excellent public courses that are very reasonably priced. Play one of those and then drive to Ogalla Nebraska to Bayside golf course and stay in one of the cabins at Bayside and play 36 holes They have inexpensive packages. Then drive to Gothenburg and play Wildhorse and play 36 holes there. Wildhorse and Bayside aren't Bandon, but they are the next best thing at a fraction of the price.  It is a 3-4 hour drive back to Denver (less than the drive between Bandon and Portland) You will have a great trip and have  played some of the best public courses in those two states.

Love this idea

Posted Image
Bayside #6 approach - rev by tewiespix, on Flickr

Posted Image
Wild Horse #10 right side 110 yards out - rev by tewiespix, on Flickr

Posted Image
Buffalo Run #2 view back toward tee r by tewiespix, on Flickr

Posted Image
Riverdale - Dunes - #4 par 3 r by tewiespix, on Flickr

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 bppry

bppry

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116337
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:13 PM

Northern Michigan is it. Arcadia Bluffs and Forest Dunes are worth it alone. Throw in options like Cedar River, Locenheath and Bay Harbor just to mention a few of other additional tracks close by each other and its a trip of a lifetime. Plus end of July the weather is perfect.

#12 Kevinmcfl

Kevinmcfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

How far a drive from Detroit would it be?

#13 bppry

bppry

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116337
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

View PostKevinmcfl, on 19 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

How far a drive from Detroit would it be?
From the airport you are looking at around 4 hours to Traverse City area. Forest Dunes is about 3.

Delta flies into Traverse as well. Or plenty of good tracks on the way up as well.

Edited by bppry, 19 January 2013 - 07:45 PM.

#14 BG5

BG5

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 500 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223299
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 22 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

If your going to northern Michigan then here would be my suggestions.  I have played them all and there are a couple you have to play.

day 1 - PlAy Forest Dunes but.stay in Gaylord and play 36 holes @ treetops.  I would suggest the Fazio Premier and the Jones Masterpiece.  These courses provide you with some of the best golf views in Northern Michigan.

Day 2 - Black Lake in Onaway and the play Bay Harbor.  Stay at boyne..

Day 3 True North and Kingsley club..stay in traverse city.

Day 4 Arcadia bluffs

There would be a little driving involved but you would be playing the best courses in Michigan

#15 Kevinmcfl

Kevinmcfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

I like the northern Michigan idea but might be a little expensive as a single.  Might want to save that for a guys trip.  Looking for something in the middle of nowhere.  Hidden gems anyone?

#16 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

Similar Fly to Memphis and play Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky in about 150 mile radius

Edited by Jon Robert, 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#17 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

View PostJon Robert, on 24 January 2013 - 07:54 PM, said:

Similar Fly to Memphis and play Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois and Kentucky in about 150 mile radius

This is a good suggestion to maximize the number of states, which is what I thought the OP was asking.  You can add Alabama to the above list of states.  The RTJ at Muscle Schoals is also approx. 150 miles from Memphis.

#18 Kevinmcfl

Kevinmcfl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Love all your ideas.  Thinking about flying from NY to Atlanta and playing The Frog on day 1 and then driving to Opelika to play all 54 holes at Grand National on day 2. For day three I was going to drive to Choctaw, Mississippi to play 36 at Dancing Rabbit.  On day 4 I was either goi g to drive to Louisana and play TPC La and fly home from New Orleans or driving back to Atlanra with a round at Kiva Dunes.  Still thinking about the Colorado/Nebraska idea.

#19 sabram

sabram

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 26 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

View Postjohnnylongball, on 25 January 2013 - 01:15 PM, said:

This is a good suggestion to maximize the number of states, which is what I thought the OP was asking.  

That  isn't  what he had. He asked:  "Where should I go to get one or more states off the list."

I take that to mean he's looking for the best trip but doesn't want to play in a state that he had already played, so even a great trip that only added one new state would be in the mix.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors