Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Webb Simpson - From Polo Golf to Izod?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 glcoach

glcoach

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6874
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

Why would someone trade being outfitted by Polo Golf for being outfitted by Izod?

Polo is an iconic brand that seemed to be an ideal clothing partner for a US Open champ like Webb Simpson.

Now he is with Izod?  So this is what happens, you win a major and dress worse?  I hope it was just about the money but even with that, I don't think I would make that trade in apparel.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
GolfWRX Likes : 171

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

He signed a contract with a new company, nothing new.  We have an Izod outlet about an hour away and their golf stuff is better than anything polo has besides the crazy expensive rlx line, at least for warm weather wear.
Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi
WITB Link

#3 citizencage

citizencage

GolfWRX Featured Writer

• Featured Writer
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215695
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

http://izod.com/thre...son-joins-izod/

“We are thrilled to welcome a golfer of Webb’s caliber and character into the IZOD family,” said Mike Kelly, Executive Vice President of Marketing for PVH.  “He embodies the IZOD brand with his energetic and competitive American spirit and as a proven winner who is poised for great success; we look forward to working closely with him in the years to come.”

I guess Izod wants to branch out and be associated with someone known for something other than slow play.

#4 Blakester

Blakester

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 90360
  • Ebay ID:blakester37
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

Money talks....
TaylorMade SLDR 14*, Motore F3
TaylorMade R9 17*, Fuji Motore
Titleist 910F 19 & 21, Axiv Black
Titleist AP2 714, W-5, DG S300
Nike Method 004
Titleist Vokey SM4 57, 62

#5 mac94

mac94

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25038
GolfWRX Likes : 247

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

You hope it's not for money? What else would it be for?

#6 bird_4_3

bird_4_3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74681
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

Why would he not switch?  I have both types of clothing and I can tell you there is not any difference in quality just a difference in price.
Wishon 919thi Harrison Prototype
3, 5, 7 wood Wishon 949mc
Adams XTD hybrid
Cleveland TT 6-Dw
Odyssey 1 wide bwb
Scor 54and Wishon 58 wedges

#7 apprenti23

apprenti23

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40702
  • Ebay ID:tourpro15
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

You would give up millions to wear xyz brand? Wow- I'd wear just a diaper if they paid me enough

#8 avgjoe

avgjoe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87610
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

if you're buying your own clothes it might be hard to see.  if they are paying you...

#9 bk4

bk4

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11166
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

There are several reasons why the switch was made.  Polo did not drop him.

#10 Cheesehead42

Cheesehead42

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 234 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122248
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

View Postcitizencage, on 18 January 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

“We are thrilled to welcome a golfer of Webb’s caliber and character into the IZOD family,” said Mike Kelly, Executive Vice President of Marketing for PVH.  “He embodies the IZOD brand with his energetic and competitive American spirit and as a proven winner who is poised for great success; we look forward to working closely with him in the years to come.”

I guess Izod wants to branch out and be associated with someone known for something other than slow play.

I was hoping to buy an IZOD "Pull the Trigger" shirt but apparently they did not see it as a good marketing opportunity.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 citizencage

citizencage

GolfWRX Featured Writer

• Featured Writer
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215695
GolfWRX Likes : 40

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostCheesehead42, on 18 January 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

View Postcitizencage, on 18 January 2013 - 12:20 PM, said:

I was hoping to buy an IZOD "Pull the Trigger" shirt but apparently they did not see it as a good marketing opportunity.

That's too bad.  They have a built-in brand ambassador. :taunt:

#12 Augster

Augster

Mr. Fairway

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30291
  • Ebay ID:augster..8
GolfWRX Likes : 239

Posted 18 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

View Postglcoach, on 18 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Why would someone trade being outfitted by Polo Golf for being outfitted by Izod?

If I was making 50K pimping polo, and was offered 60K to pimp Izod, Izod it is.  Why would I leave 10K on the table?  All the clothes are free to me anyway.

And I'm sure Simpson's deal was worth more than 10K in difference.

I'm sure it works like this...Have your agent shop every clothing brand that has any interest, have them make offers to put their billboards on you, then take the highest offer.

Just like with McIlroy.  He built the Oakley clothing brand.  Then he gets a ton more money to move to Nike, so he moves.  At the end of the day, it's all the same stuff.  Same fabrics.  Same look, same feel.  It all looks good, feels good, and plays good.  Why leave extra money on the table due to some sort of brand loyalty?

#13 sanjaygolf

sanjaygolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33562
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

I can understand the OP's point. Webb was built for Polo clothing; he has the frat boy look but his body is too dumpy looking for IZOD. I can understand him leaving for more money but I both sides would've been better by still being together. Look at DLIII; he's been with Polo forever and has built an iconic image with them. IZOD isn't going to blow up because Webb Simpson is with them.
913D2 10.5 AD DI 8X
913Fd 15 Rombax P95 X
980F 19 ZCom Pro95 X
712U 2i PXI 6.5 // 712 AP2/CB DG TI X100
SM4 52 / TVD K 60 DG TI S400
TaylorMade Ghost Manta
WITB Link

#14 tdk8180

tdk8180

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77908
GolfWRX Likes : 154

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Excuse me, but Izod has some really nice stuff. Some of my best shirts are from Izod.  Polo golf?  Ya, let's think about how "functional" there line is.  It's not.  It's so Ted Knight/Judge from Caddyshack.  Plus, I can't find what Donald and others are wearing at the store, it's a complete joke.  The employees are idiots, theyre always like, "uhhhh, you might want to check the website.". Ya, ok spanky, thanks a lot.  Polo, ya know, I find a lot of their shirts at salvation army, why?

Edited by tdk8180, 19 January 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#15 glcoach

glcoach

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6874
GolfWRX Likes : 67

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:28 AM

I like the Polo golf line. I understand switching for the money. I have never seen anything in the Izod line I would want to buy, but then again, all I have seen from the golf line is the itchy moisture wicking stuff. I prefer cotton.

Simpson just seemed to be a prototypical Polo golf guy. I'm surprised they didn't try to do more to keep him.

#16 iBanesto

iBanesto

Niclas Fasth

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,313 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18328
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:33 AM

View Postglcoach, on 18 January 2013 - 11:59 AM, said:

Polo is an iconic brand that seemed to be an ideal clothing partner for a US Open champ like Webb Simpson.

Now he is with Izod?  So this is what happens, you win a major and dress worse?  I hope it was just about the money but even with that, I don't think I would make that trade in apparel.

#17 FBDom

FBDom

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164895
GolfWRX Likes : 144

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:43 AM

I love the Izod golf apparel.  Probably half of my shirts are Izod

0 user(s) are reading this topic