Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Switching Clubs

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Slappy9

Slappy9

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121101
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Ok I have had enough!  I am so sick hearing about how this switch is going to hurt Rorys career from everyone- I even heard Faldo last night just blabbing away about this.
Changing companies is not that big of a deal. Think about how many pros switch gear every year but its not that big of a deal because it gear from the SAME company...  Dustin Johnson just won with almost a completely new set of clubs!!!  New DRIVER-IRONS-BALL-and He Switched putters to a blade from his GOLO, so exept for his wedges and fairways his clubs are all different.

I dont think switching clubs is that big of a deal people, players do it all the time just within the same company!!!!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MileHighClub

MileHighClub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,471 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123991
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Did someone crap in your Corn Flakes this morning?
Callaway FT-iz 9*
Ping G15 4W 17*
Taylormade 09 Rescue 19*, 22*
Ping G25 5-9, PW, UW
Cleveland CG14 54*, 58*
Odyssey Original White Hot 2 Ball

#3 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

AKA Jay.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Handicap:+6.0
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 1206

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Well.....

If every single person in the business both competitively and critically think it's kinda a big deal.....it's probably kinda a big deal.

;)
RFE 8.5* XS
RHT #3 XS
Cally MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally Forged 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#4 Password Is Taco

Password Is Taco

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 149957
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

Wait, are you saying that Rory switched clubs?

#5 Baai

Baai

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218767
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 18 January 2013 - 11:16 AM

250 million is a big deal

You have to admit, after al that hoopla, all that press, Rory failing to make the cut and switching to his old putter after one round is embarrassing for Nike. Brilliant advertising for Titleist.

#6 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 210

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Dustin most likely was testing them for 6 months and seeing they are TM clubs to TM clubs it is a different story. Rory switched from Titleist to Nike it is a big change. I dont think the poor performance was all clubs either, i think Rory was having fun with GF during off season being a youngster which with his money he can do. he will be fine and he will win with Nike clubs. Plus people like to talk!
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#7 qtlaw

qtlaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32882
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Lefty switched and had a break in period then did fine.  Tiger switched to Nike and won 13 of his 14 majors I think.

#8 mr smith

mr smith

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218761
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 18 January 2013 - 07:41 PM

View PostBaai, on 18 January 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

You have to admit, after al that hoopla, all that press, Rory failing to make the cut and switching to his old putter after one round is embarrassing for Nike. Brilliant advertising for Titleist.
Rory stunk it up just as bad with the scotty so maybe not so brilliant for titleist.

#9 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

Hell yes its a big deal !!!  Then watching him play poorly with Nike's new clubs, not very impressive. How does
Nike market that ??  "Our clubs are prefered by the worlds best " , when and if they make the cut ??
Titleist is loving this !!!!
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Callawy Apex pro  5 thru PW  Irons
Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter
Vokey SM5 50*and 56* degree Wedge

#10 esketores

esketores

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120324
  • Ebay ID:Hbarrel
GolfWRX Likes : 285

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

The media is making sure all know Rory is apt to miss a cut here and there. In the big picture no big deal. Short term... yes Nike exec's are not happy. They'll be plenty happy as time plays on.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17 / 910h 24 & 27
Titleist 913Hd 20
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Guia

Guia

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,669 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97501
GolfWRX Likes : 423

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

Rory will adjust.  Nike just has to work a little harder on getting his exact requirements.  

I think the only reason that Tiger still uses the Nike putter is because when he screwed up Nike
renegotiated his contact to require him to use their new putter.  A mistake on his part.  Rory was
evidently able to avoid this mistake.

#12 HoosierMizuno

HoosierMizuno

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87620
  • Handicap:4.2
GolfWRX Likes : 221

Posted 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

View Postputtingmatt, on 18 January 2013 - 08:59 PM, said:

Hell yes its a big deal !!!  Then watching him play poorly with Nike's new clubs, not very impressive. How does
Nike market that ??  "Our clubs are prefered by the worlds best " , when and if they make the cut ??

I think this is the only reason this is a big deal. its a huge deal for nike marketing purposes. it is hard to sell clubs when your new top player is struggling. i still believe his swing is rusty rather than him needing to get used to clubs. you don't snap hook a fw wood and blame it on the equipment unless you're an amateur.

I do think the OP made a good point that others aren't talking about. Many like to compare players switching brands like furyk or mcdowell or others have done, but rarely do they mention the guys who have switched iron within a brand. You can't tell me it wasn't a big change going from TM MC irons to TM rocketbladez Tours. these changes i would think would be just as difficult. Rory and Tiger take Abu Dhabi about as serious as i take my first round after 2 months of waiting out the snow. its a warm up to the bigger US events.
Adams Fast 12 LS 10.5* W/ Fubuki S
TM Stage 2 Tour 3HL TP w/ Matrix RUL 80
Cobra Amp Cell 2-3 Hybrid 18*
TM Speedblades 4-PW, AW KBS TOUR S
TM ATV 54* and 58*
SeeMore mFGP2 34"

#13 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:59 PM

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

I think this is the only reason this is a big deal. its a huge deal for nike marketing purposes. it is hard to sell clubs when your new top player is struggling. i still believe his swing is rusty rather than him needing to get used to clubs. you don't snap hook a fw wood and blame it on the equipment unless you're an amateur.

I do think the OP made a good point that others aren't talking about. Many like to compare players switching brands like furyk or mcdowell or others have done, but rarely do they mention the guys who have switched iron within a brand. You can't tell me it wasn't a big change going from TM MC irons to TM rocketbladez Tours. these changes i would think would be just as difficult. Rory and Tiger take Abu Dhabi about as serious as i take my first round after 2 months of waiting out the snow. its a warm up to the bigger US events.

These other players did not have all the laser show hoopla either !! Nike  and Rory
will just fine. Just seems ironic, how poorly one can play after being fit with equipment.
Its always news when a number one ranked player misses a cut !!

Edited by puttingmatt, 23 January 2013 - 03:01 PM.

Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Callawy Apex pro  5 thru PW  Irons
Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter
Vokey SM5 50*and 56* degree Wedge

#14 lumberman2462

lumberman2462

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116473
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 959

Posted 23 January 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostGuia, on 18 January 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Rory will adjust.  Nike just has to work a little harder on getting his exact requirements.  

I think the only reason that Tiger still uses the Nike putter is because when he screwed up Nike
renegotiated his contact to require him to use their new putter.  A mistake on his part.  Rory was
evidently able to avoid this mistake.

I hadn't heard that TW was contractually required to use a Nike putter.  You'd think common sense would prevail and Nike would be more than happy for TW to use any putter he wants and actually putted well and could get back to winning while using Nike irons, woods & ball vs putting like crap with a Nike putter and not winning majors.  Phil Knight doesn't seem to be that big of an idiot.
SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura Tournament Blades 2-W
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 56C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade
Scratch James Ingels Blade

#15 monkeynaut

monkeynaut

I'm Gonna Live Forever! But first I need to stop this bl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,887 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124830
GolfWRX Likes : 1625

Posted 23 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

View Postputtingmatt, on 23 January 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

View PostHoosierMizuno, on 23 January 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

These other players did not have all the laser show hoopla either !! Nike  and Rory
will just fine. Just seems ironic, how poorly one can play after being fit with equipment.
Its always news when a number one ranked player misses a cut !!
What is this 1975?  Almost every electronic device in my house uses a laser.  It's not like they built a supercollider for this presser.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW
Mizuno JPX 50*, Mizuno MPT-11 54*
Vokey SM4 60/10, Odyssey Black TD #2

#16 richard t

richard t

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,629 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85373
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 327

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

Does Curtis Strange come to mind? Back to back US Opens. Switches to Maruman from MacGregor VIPs. It makes a difference. A BIG difference. But, millions of dollars in endorsement fees makes up for a lot of adjustment. Rory will be fine. Especially considering those clubs are made for HIM! Would not be surprised to find out they were copied exactly from his old ones. We don't buy off the rack or even custom order what those guys are privy to.

#17 just win

just win

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151175
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

We better give mad props then to Thorbjorn Olesen for switching to Nike and getting 2nd while Rory missed the cut. He must have just gotten lucky. I think it comes down to the pressure from the hype of switching clubs from the media and consumers that affects some guys play. Keep in mind Rory is a streaky player. He was entering a lot of tournaments mid season last year because he was in a huge slump missing cuts.
I25 W/ Aldila NV 65
Anser 14.5 w/ AD DI 8
S55 w/ X 100
Gorge 50, 54, & 58 w/ X 100
Z Star XV
Bettinardi BB1F

#18 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,337 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4805

Posted 23 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

it's a big deal because of pressure more then it is because of the actual clubs themselves. If Rory was just plain old Rory McFiniggan from Ireland and switched from Titleist to Nike he's shoot the same scores. So why shouldn't Rory Mcilroy? I mean i switched from Mizuno's to Ping G10's last year and it's not like my handicap went up.

But pressure to play well and perform for the 250M is what i'd be more worried about. Every time he struggles he is going to have talking heads say it was the wrong move to leave Titleist and he knows that. He can say it doesnt bother him....athletes always say things don't bother them. Carmelo said he and Kevin Garnett are cool after they almost fought a couple of weeks ago and if you believe that you're nuts. I'm sure Rory wants to perform and quiet these rumors and that puts more pressure on you. Even pros are not immune to this. In the back of Rory's mind when he tees it up, even if only a little bit, is the knowledge he's going to get slammed for playing poorly in large part because of the decision to shake things up after a great year. Even if that "shake up" is something club ho's do monthly!
Cobra Amp Cell 8.5 w/Fujikura Fuel
Cobra Amp Cell 13 w/Fujikura Fuel
Ping G15 20* hybrid w/C taper
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#19 JRS

JRS

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 84856
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 23 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

if you're sick of hearing about it, don't start another discussion about it.

#20 SurfDuffer

SurfDuffer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123677
GolfWRX Likes : 206

Posted 24 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

I don't know.  I'm no pro but I have been struggling for two seasons trying to replace a worn out set of irons.  I can not get into a set that I am as confident with as the old set.  It has to have an effect if you've been playing something you are used to for a long time.  Has to effect the mental game .....perhaps some players more than others.  More important is the ball change.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 18,130 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1861

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostJRS, on 23 January 2013 - 08:11 PM, said:

if you're sick of hearing about it, don't start another discussion about it.

hahaha. Good one JRS.
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#22 MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136928
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 353

Posted 24 January 2013 - 06:47 PM

View PostSlappy9, on 18 January 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Ok I have had enough!  I am so sick hearing about how this switch is going to hurt Rorys career from everyone- I even heard Faldo last night just blabbing away about this.
Changing companies is not that big of a deal. Think about how many pros switch gear every year but its not that big of a deal because it gear from the SAME company...  Dustin Johnson just won with almost a completely new set of clubs!!!  New DRIVER-IRONS-BALL-and He Switched putters to a blade from his GOLO, so exept for his wedges and fairways his clubs are all different.

I dont think switching clubs is that big of a deal people, players do it all the time just within the same company!!!!!

Absolutely agree. If his career is ruined (which I highly doubt it will be), it will be his own fault, not his clubs'. Watney and Oleson performing solidly early in the season with Nike equipment. Rory was just swinging poorly and will be fine.

Edited by MrElculver2424, 24 January 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#23 MEC13

MEC13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 200763
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:30 AM

I don't think Rory will keep his #1 status much longer. He'll hold it just as long as Kaymer and Donald did. Big year for American golfers to work their way back into the top 10.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors