Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is the mission of the 19th Hole, Off-Topic Forum?

5 replies to this topic

#1 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 737

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

Ok, there's been some consternation from the masses (and even in certain cases Mods) on what's allowed vs what's not allowed to be talked about in the 19th hole.

Understanding this is a GOLF site, some seem to beleive that it's for unrelated golf talk only. Others, (like myself and I know many others) look at it as stuff that would be talked about at the 19th hole, almost anything goes (with limitations). As I said, this is a golf site first and foremost. However, it's also a community of both like and different minded individuals.

It's the limitations of discussion, which are not outlined anywhere, that are in question.

19th hole in most clubhouses I've been to, and with various groups after tournaments are disucssions of anything under the sun... and by and large, adult topics for most of the time. (IOW, things like women, wives, drinking, smoking, sports figures, etc...). And if you think some of the disucssions by men are bad in person, have you ever stuck around after a womans tourney or league? :lol: !!!

Anyhoo, many of the topics as of late have come under heavy and close scrutiny of the moderators, a voluenteer staff that put their time in when they can to make sure the rules are followed. Well, there are no rules listed for the 19th hole. The answers that are given for closing of threads are "objectionable materal" and "there are kids on this site."

Some members and mods have even gone as far as saying "it's not golf related".

Well, here's the crux of the problem. 19th hole, off topic. What is its mission in life on this forum? What are the guidelines that us adults must adhere to so we don't make the mods job more difficult? Can there please be a faq or sticky thread at the top outlining what is and is not allowed? MANY of us not have kids, don't hang around kids, or don't CARE if kids see/hear what we say. How are we to judge? Give us some guidelines as to what is or isn't appropriate, something that we know the line that can't be crossed.

At that, most of the topics discussed that are locked "because of kids" are nor worse than what's seen on Prime-Time TV or even PG13.

And, on that discussion, there's one thread about Wives that was closed and the reason was "it crossed obvious lines". There were pictures of our wives posted and discussion about them. Nothing more different than after a tourney, whipping out phone and showing and disucssing in person. However, it was deemed objectionable, and closed/deleted/sent to dead thread storage. Why? Because there are kids.

IMHO, if that's the case, we can't post pictures of women, or talk about our wives or other people wives, then the forum should take a long hard look at the advertising on here... the below Ad is much, much worse than what was posted in that thread...

Screenshot (1).png

And then, just as I posted this thread.... this was the Ad in it...

1-10-2013 7-49-51.jpg

Think long and hard about censoring topics about women in GWRX, when you have advertisements worse than what most of the pics have been.

--kC

Edited by Imp, 17 January 2013 - 08:33 AM.

RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 784

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I believe the advertising on this site uses google analytics and other targeted advertising, right?  I never see anything like you've pictured on your screenshots.

Mostly they want you to abide by the rules.  The mods have learned to close certain topics before they get out of hand.  The 19th hole is a spot where we can mess around and post some fun stuff.  

Here are some big rules that might help.  Just stay within them

• No foul language. Keep it clean.
  • Discussion of illegal activities such as software and music piracy and other intellectual property violations are not allowed
  • Nude pictures are not allowed. Photo gallery is for family, friends, and golf related photos. No objectionable material.
  • No religion or political discussions.

#3 Imp

Imp

Fueled

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,456 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130204
  • Handicap:10.3
GolfWRX Likes : 737

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

Photo gallery is for family, friends, and golf related photos. No objectionable material.

Define objectionable when talking about the women we are married to, or the husbands for that matter. (i.e.: Family)

--kC
RBZ 9 Tour/Fujikura Fuel 60S Masters Ed
RBZ 3W/4H / Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons
Scratch 8620 54/58. TM Trip Winner-Doral
I'm like Rhyno the Hampster in Bolt.
Overly enthusiastic about everything
with no inner dialog filter.

#4 Gxgolfer

Gxgolfer

Site Founder & Co-Owner

• Rules Official
  • 14,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

We will have the 3rd party ad removed. The 19th hole is for off topic/borderline golf relate threads and must still adhere to the forum rules of appropriateness.

Objectionable ads can be reported here for removal.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
http://www.golfwrx.c...t-ad-questions/
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

#5 Gxgolfer

Gxgolfer

Site Founder & Co-Owner

• Rules Official
  • 14,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:02 AM

View PostImp, on 17 January 2013 - 08:48 AM, said:

Photo gallery is for family, friends, and golf related photos. No objectionable material.

Define objectionable when talking about the women we are married to, or the husbands for that matter. (i.e.: Family)

--kC

That is going to be a moderators decision.  If you can't figure out what that line is then there are probably other issues.  The 19th hole is not a unmoderated forum but as the rest of e forum, people should report issues when seen.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
http://www.golfwrx.c...t-ad-questions/
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

#6 Rockminer

Rockminer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123965
GolfWRX Likes : 119

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:38 AM

The problem with "it's a moderators decision" is, it depends on who looks at it. If it's left to the discretion of each individual moderator, we are subject to different interpretations of "acceptable".

IMO the 19th hole should be a place where things can go further than the rest of the site, within the rules

The main site has many threads that I wouldn't want kids to see. From arguing to questionable pics. This site itself is guilty of uploading questionable pics on occasion.  I don't need to see pics, of a females swing, from some of the angles they are being taken from. Not to mention the weekly Holly Saunders thread that starts about her looks, the last one lasted 2 days and 3 pages.

I agree that there should be some clear rules, but they should be followed by the members and the site.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors