Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Razr Xtreme, G25, and Covert Driver demo's at Golfsmith

67 replies to this topic

#1 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133832
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

Golfsmith has several new drivers available to demo in-store so customers can pre-order them if they like it. I was able to hit the Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme, the Ping G25 and Nike Covert, both tour and non-tour.

Not terribly impressed with the Callaway Xtreme. I wasn't a fan of the Razr Fit and the Xtreme didn't feel like much of an upgrade. I have higher hopes for the X Hot drivers.

The ping G25 was nice. It just felt like another G Series driver. If you're a fan of the G15 or G20, you'll love this one.

The most impressive to me was the Nike Covert drivers. The face felt incredibly hot. It also had a nice sound and feel that struck a balance between being neither too pingy nor too muted. I usually prefer smaller tour size drivers, but I think I might actually prefer the larger, non-tour version in this case.

I'm still waiting for some other new drivers for the year to be released, but the Covert is the benchmark for me so far. Everyone should take a few swings with the Covert.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 JGalls

JGalls

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2519
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Saw the Covert today.. only looked at the tour.  Definitely looked better then I thought.  Sound I thought was a little odd, but always the case indoors.
Searching for a new driver... Callaway BB Pro 16* Callaway X2 Hot Pro 20*, X Utility 24* Callaway Apex Pro 5-P, KBSTourV Callaway MD2 50s, 54s, 60u Odyssey Tour Black Series i Long Neck #1

#3 TheMoneyShot

TheMoneyShot

***Twirl of Doom***

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,331 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40503
GolfWRX Likes : 1180

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

Wow, another covert prop thread.  I never thought I'd see the day when a Nike club would get more hype on Wrx than TM or Cally.

#4 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

View PostTheMoneyShot, on 16 January 2013 - 04:59 PM, said:

Wow, another covert prop thread.  I never thought I'd see the day when a Nike club would get more hype on Wrx than TM or Cally.

I had the exact same thoughts before I had a chance to hit it. I was thinking that the cavity concept was just a gimmick, but there must be something to it. And the swoosh graphic on the crown is well placed to where it is not distracting when you are keeping your eye on ball at address.

I think this is going to be a huge success for Nike. I haven't liked any Nike driver since the SQ and this is by far the best driver they have put out since then.

#5 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

Major Winner

• 2,569 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207419
GolfWRX Likes : 603

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

View Postwick_dawg, on 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Golfsmith has several new drivers available to demo in-store so customers can pre-order them if they like it. I was able to hit the Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme, the Ping G25 and Nike Covert, both tour and non-tour.

Not terribly impressed with the Callaway Xtreme. I wasn't a fan of the Razr Fit and the Xtreme didn't feel like much of an upgrade. I have higher hopes for the X Hot drivers.

The ping G25 was nice. It just felt like another G Series driver. If you're a fan of the G15 or G20, you'll love this one.

The most impressive to me was the Nike Covert drivers. The face felt incredibly hot. It also had a nice sound and feel that struck a balance between being neither too pingy nor too muted. I usually prefer smaller tour size drivers, but I think I might actually prefer the larger, non-tour version in this case.

I'm still waiting for some other new drivers for the year to be released, but the Covert is the benchmark for me so far. Everyone should take a few swings with the Covert.
Any numbers?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 9.0
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 3W
FW: Callaway Big Bertha 5W
Irons: Callaway Apex 4-9, PW, AW, SW
Wedge: Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Chrome 60
Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9HT

#6 sofla

sofla

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38058
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

What are the stock shafts fro the Coverts?
Ping i25 8.5 Tour 80
Ping Rapture 3+
Ping i25 5W; Titleist 913h 21
Callaway Apex 5-AW
Titleist Vokey SM 54 & 60
SC Select Newport 1.5

#7 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:46 PM

View Postsofla, on 16 January 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

What are the stock shafts fro the Coverts?

Kuro Kage

I didn't see anything on the shaft that said "made for..." or "exclusively designed for". So I'm assuming its a legit shaft. It seems like most manufacturers are moving to real deal shafts from now on.

Edited by wick_dawg, 16 January 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#8 Str8Shot

Str8Shot

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 217583
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:48 PM

View Postwick_dawg, on 16 January 2013 - 04:54 PM, said:

Now this is the first I heard bad of on the Cally extreme at all so far.....I know the Covert is getting great reviews....I was not a fan of the razr fit myself until I started sticking 400 dollar shafts in the head and playing around with some of them and then it became a beast! I hope when I try all 3 OUTDOORS I can get a nice feel of what is the best of the 3 vs my 913 and Razr Fit......910 as well! I just do not get down with indoor launch monitors! Only thing that can really be tested indoors is feel to me!
Titleist 913 D2 10.5* AD DI 6
Titleist 913FD 18* GD AD DI 7
PING i25 4-PW Nippon Modus 3 TOUR 130
TVD-M TX3 VOKEY 50* 56* 60* KBS HI-REV
Odyssey Custom Prototype #1
Bridgestone B330S or Titleist Pro V1X

#9 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

Major Winner

• 2,569 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

Any numbers?

#10 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:04 PM

The Cally was not bad at all. I think I was just so impressed with the Covert that the others weren't as impressive by comparison

Edited by wick_dawg, 16 January 2013 - 06:05 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

Major Winner

• 2,569 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:20 PM

OK this is the second time you are avoided answering my question.

Somthing tells me this is a feel test and nothing more.

Sorry but your avoiding answering any questions related to actual performance and you made no performance related findings. I don't mean to call you out. But we should provide more clarity in our opinions.

So your priasing a club based on holding it? Cause thats all I get out of your review.

#12 DNice26

DNice26

Major Winner

• 2,627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:27 PM

Cripes....now i need to throw the Covert into my demo plans!
Ping G30 10.5, AD DI 7X, 45"
TM RBZ S2, Blue Board X
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5, 50S, 56S & 60K
Scotty Kombi S, 34" SS 3.0

#13 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:54 PM

View PostOUZO Power, on 16 January 2013 - 06:20 PM, said:

Sorry but your avoiding answering any questions related to actual performance and you made no performance related findings. I don't mean to call you out. But we should provide more clarity in our opinions.

So your priasing a club based on holding it? Cause thats all I get out of your review.

Chill dude. I'm not avoiding your question. I was just answering another question I saw before I saw your inquiry.

I didn't take a picture of the numbers so I can't provide specific numbers.  But of the 4 drivers I hit (counting Covert and Covert Tour separately), I got the greatest average distance and swing speed from the non tour Covert. I got the lowest average spin from the Tour Covert. I got the tightest dispersion from the Razr Fit Xtreme.

The Covert has the Kuro 50 shaft and the Covert Tour has the Kuro 60 shaft. I think the best combination for me would be to put the Kuro 60 in the non tour Covert.

#14 hmx3

hmx3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22522
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

View Postwick_dawg, on 16 January 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

Chill dude. I'm not avoiding your question. I was just answering another question I saw before I saw your inquiry.

I didn't take a picture of the numbers so I can't provide specific numbers.  But of the 4 drivers I hit (counting Covert and Covert Tour separately), I got the greatest average distance and swing speed from the non tour Covert. I got the lowest average spin from the Tour Covert. I got the tightest dispersion from the Razr Fit Xtreme.

The Covert has the Kuro 50 shaft and the Covert Tour has the Kuro 60 shaft. I think the best combination for me would be to put the Kuro 60 in the non tour Covert.

The Cover Performance is due the longer and lighter shaft a couple yards longer as the Razr.

But it seems the cavity of Covert offers not a big improvement in accuracy, because you got the tightes disperation with the Razr.

And you will get problems cutting down the Convert to a playable length of 45 (even the tour is 45,75). The Convert offers no adjustable weigths, which is meanwhile standart in many drivers.

#15 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:14.8
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

View Posthmx3, on 16 January 2013 - 07:19 PM, said:

The Cover Performance is due the longer and lighter shaft a couple yards longer as the Razr.

But it seems the cavity of Covert offers not a big improvement in accuracy, because you got the tightes disperation with the Razr.

And you will get problems cutting down the Convert to a playable length of 45 (even the tour is 45,75). The Convert offers no adjustable weigths, which is meanwhile standart in many drivers.

I thought the cavity was on there to bury 20 grams in there and make it 44".  No?

Ping G30 SF Tec 10* Tour 65
Ping G30 3w
Exotics Trilogy 20*/26* hybrids
Ping K15 5i-SW
Ping G25 LW
Ping Ketsch

#16 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 265

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

Forgiveness comparison?
G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20* & K15 23* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#17 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35735
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Seriously?
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB
Fourteen RM12 51* 55* 59* S400

#18 J13

J13

@jminis13

• 9,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76984
GolfWRX Likes : 1264

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

Lots of good drivers out this year glad to hear they are starting to get the demo's out for people to get their hands on them.  I urge everyone to go with the driver that's gives them the most distance without sacrificing accuracy.  When I was at Callaway they were the first to say distance is great but we gotta get you in the short stuff first.
Silly Season Bag
Callawrx 1
Cally Vegas shoot

#19 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

Major Winner

• 2,569 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

Thank you.

#20 OUZO Power

OUZO Power

Major Winner

• 2,569 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

View PostDoc Mcstuffins, on 16 January 2013 - 07:28 PM, said:

Seriously?
Did I make a funny? I was dead serious.

I wanted to know more about the review. If sound and feel is enough for you to consider it a review by all means dont let me spoil the fun.

Afterwards the OP posted some more about the performace. And I apreciate it. Isn't performance the whole point of a review?

Edited by OUZO Power, 16 January 2013 - 07:47 PM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 baseballfrk8998

baseballfrk8998

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,632 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124978
GolfWRX Likes : 568

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

View PostOUZO Power, on 16 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Seriously?

I wanted to know more about the review. If sound and feel is enough for you to consider it a review by all means dont let me spoil the fun.

Afterwards the OP posted some more about the performace. And I apreciate it. Isn't performance the whole point of a review?

Calm down bro, it's a forum. You're getting way too worked up. Even if he was just giving his opinion, I have no problem with that.
8.5* Tour Issue 07 Burner // PL Red 65x
14* SLDR // Speeder 8.3x
19* SLDR Resuce // Speeder 9.3s
RocketBladez Tour 4-PW // C-Taper
52* & 58* Callaway MD2 // S-300
Odyssey Metal X Milled #1

#22 station2station

station2station

Hall of Fame

• 6,140 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93643
  • Handicap:3.5
GolfWRX Likes : 1012

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

3 good drivers.  A great spring for the big stick.  I'll be anxious to see the shakeout.  I've hit the RFX and handled the Covert (good built quality) and someone I respect their opinion has hit the G25 and told me it's great.

Good stuff!!

(anyway, back to my 913d3)

#23 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:59 PM

View PostCwing, on 16 January 2013 - 07:26 PM, said:

Forgiveness comparison?

The best I can tell from just the in-store demo, the non-tour Covert felt solid no matter where on the face I made contact. The G25 and Cally where pretty equal in terms of forgiveness. Then the Tour Covert, which wasn't too surprising being as it was a smaller tour head

#24 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

View PostOUZO Power, on 16 January 2013 - 07:47 PM, said:

Seriously?

Well then, there we have it! :good: The fact that you are "dead serious" confirms my initial thought. Either nobody taught you any manners growing up, or, you need a hug. Nobody owes you any thing on this site bro, and certainly not when you act like a spoiled little brat. :fool:

OP, thanks for the post. Always nice to hear first initial impressions...."numbers" or not. :clapping:
PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#25 DNice26

DNice26

Major Winner

• 2,627 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 92326
GolfWRX Likes : 103

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Awwwwkward....

Ping G30 10.5, AD DI 7X, 45"
TM RBZ S2, Blue Board X
Mizuno MP64 5-PW, C-Taper S+
Titleist SM5, 50S, 56S & 60K
Scotty Kombi S, 34" SS 3.0

#26 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

Sorry. I don't like to post my personal numbers. A few years ago I herniated 2 discs and fractured a vertebrae in my lumbar spine, so my numbers are nowhere near where they used to be before the accident. I feel like some people here post their numbers like a dick measuring contest, and I'm afraid I would fall short in this matter (so to speak).

#27 PingDrv00

PingDrv00

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21573
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

I think we get so obsessed with numbers it was actually refreshing to see a review that a driver just felt better.  I think we get so tied up in numbers we forget the club needs to look, feel, and sound good to promote confidence.
Driver. RBZ Tour TP 9 Kaili 70x
Three Wood: RBZ Tour TP 14.5 RIP Beta 70
Hybrid: Adams Super LS 19 Kuro Kage
Irons: TaylorMade 2014 CB 4,5, MC 6-PW
Putter: Odyssey Protype Black #9
Wedges: Vokey 53/10 and 59/7

#28 swirvn

swirvn

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122444
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

I hit the g25 today and it was solid. No numbers but I was impressed enough to pre order. I have the anser now and it looked and felt better than the anser. I'm a ping driver fan and my best results have been from the g line and with the right shaft it should be easy to make this work.  I did however get a good look at the Nike offerings. They didn't have a lefty demo so all I was able check out both righty versions. The tour looked like a deep face driver with a traditional shape and the non tour suits my eye better. The only thing that I noticed that would drive me nuts is the swoosh on the crown. It's on the top near the heel and looks like an eye sore. Seems like the trend this year with crown graphics and I'm okay with them but it just looked out of place on this driver. If its a bomber though I could get used to it!!!

#29 Doc Mcstuffins

Doc Mcstuffins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,047 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

View Postwick_dawg, on 16 January 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

Sorry. I don't like to post my personal numbers. A few years ago I herniated 2 discs and fractured a vertebrae in my lumbar spine, so my numbers are nowhere near where they used to be before the accident. I feel like some people here post their numbers like a dick measuring contest, and I'm afraid I would fall short in this matter (so to speak).

Ask any pro and they'll tell you. If it doesn't look, sound, and feel right, they won't even look at the numbers. I never take too much stock in launch monitor stats when they aren't my own.

Sorry I got on "OUZO" OP. It's just a little obnoxious to think someone like you shouldn't post their impressions unless they provide trackman data. :scare2:

Edited by Doc Mcstuffins, 16 January 2013 - 09:49 PM.

PING G20 8.5 Di6-X
PING G25 15* 7.3TS
Adams VTS LSP 20* 8.8TS
Titleist 712U 23*
Bridgestone J40CB

#30 wick_dawg

wick_dawg

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

View PostPingDrv00, on 16 January 2013 - 09:34 PM, said:

I think we get so obsessed with numbers it was actually refreshing to see a review that a driver just felt better.  I think we get so tied up in numbers we forget the club needs to look, feel, and sound good to promote confidence.

I gave a comparison of which of these drivers performed the best for me in terms of swing speed, distance, spin and dispersion.

I just didn't mention specific numbers. What good would that information be for anyone else anyways? No one is going to have the exact same swing and numbers that I have, so what's the point?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors