Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * - - - 2 votes

Tiger to gain significant power at Nike? Speculation, or fact?

86 replies to this topic

#1 golfcarte

golfcarte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102511
GolfWRX Likes : 361

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:08 AM

elsewhere, talk has been that nike has alledgedly plans in the works, as soon as this year, to rebuild the tiger woods nike brand, to the levels of pre-scandal. tiger would have his own stable of golfers wearing tiger woods apparel. whether or not this would include rory mcilroy is uncertain.

any truth to this, or just smoke-blowing? recent stories within the past six months claim in truth that tiger, though now single, is still on the prowl. guess you can have your cake, and eat it too.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 corky

corky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1237
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:10 AM

View Postgolfcarte, on 16 January 2013 - 07:08 AM, said:

elsewhere, talk has been that nike has alledgedly plans in the works, as soon as this year, to rebuild the tiger woods nike brand, to the levels of pre-scandal. tiger would have his own stable of golfers wearing tiger woods apparel. whether or not this would include rory mcilroy is uncertain.

any truth to this, or just smoke-blowing? recent stories within the past six months claim in truth that tiger, though now single, is still on the prowl. guess you can have your cake, and eat it too.

does it matter?

#3 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 2041

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

Yes, esp if he's able to win a major and beat up on rory this year with rory's growing pains from switching equipment.
Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#4 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2258

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:31 AM

Where is this talk coming from?

Why would they want the Worlds #1, who is now reportedly their highest paid golfer, to wear gear that isn't for him? If anything, I think the opposite is more likely, that Ror's will have his own line.

These are 2 very different guys demographically speaking. Their ages alone give Nike reach to different market segments. Especially in the apparel sector which is their bread and butter anyway.  I think it would be foolish to make Rory a Tiger clone, wearing his clothes? Why would Rory want that? He has his own brand and will want it cultivated and exploited.

I honestly think you or people "elsewhere" are just making this up.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#5 corky

corky

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1237
GolfWRX Likes : 338

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

making it up .... on Wrx!...... surely not!

View PostKYMAR, on 16 January 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

Why would they want the Worlds #1, who is now reportedly their highest paid golfer, to wear gear that isn't for him? If anything, I think the opposite is more likely, that Ror's will have his own line.

These are 2 very different guys demographically speaking. Their ages alone give Nike reach to different market segments. Especially in the apparel sector which is their bread and butter anyway.  I think it would be foolish to make Rory a Tiger clone, wearing his clothes? Why would Rory want that? He has his own brand and will want it cultivated and exploited.

making it up?.... on WRX?....... surely not!

#6 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73111
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:32 AM

Blowing smoke bordering on wishful thinking.

Tiger may get a little bump in image because of his alledged friendly association with Rory. The pedal to metal is with Rory, much like jordan, much

like Bo jackson, just like MacEnroe to Andre Agassi  to Federor once the shine begins to tarnish they ( nike)  move on.They generally don't toss them

to the street, instead  keep them in the stable, but have historically moved on to the next fast horse.  As fas a restoring his marketability prior to the

prostitutes,lying, infidelity, questionable behavior on and off the course and overall his game going south, that may never come back, Like wise the

grimacing,arrogance and swearing on the course doesn't help matters in the least. I believe you are seeing the back 9 of Nike and tiger-limited investment for hereon out.

His market rating with women is still in the Micheal Vick tiolet level, and women spend the most money per household, they may not earn it but they

sure as heck spends it.

Personally I feel the money spent on tiger vs the return on golf equipement sales I would give it a C, if I were to include golf shirts and apparel I would give it and A-

Edited by spitfisher, 16 January 2013 - 08:38 AM.

#7 nochct1

nochct1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57177
  • Ebay ID:dlcloser
GolfWRX Likes : 493

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:51 AM

Nike would be stupid not to do this. They can have rory be the face of the young more athletic clothing line while the TIger line would be the premium high end line.

Nike has had success with this model using JOrdan and it can work with Tiger.

Tiger is still the most recognizable golfer in the world. I know some of you don't want that to be true, but it is.

#8 Sooner1

Sooner1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64798
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:32 AM

I think this is the logical next step.  Ian Poulter has his own line and Bud Cauley is wearing it.  I think IJP design might have signed another golfer or two in europe as well.  To me, TW could have his own brand with players who are contracted to wear his brand and Rory could have his own Nike line.  This is no different then what Nike is already doing on the Basketball front. Jordan has his own brand and they make specific shoes for several different NBA players.

Worldwide TW still moves the needle.  He's still a very marketable brand and the more time that goes by the more people will not care as much about what happened.  I think Nike is making some pretty smart moves.  Their equipment, for the first time, is second to none.  This new breed or young 20 something golfers have grown up watching TW play Nike clubs.  They don't have the same bias towards the brand many of hte older generation (purists) have.  Plus with Nike sponsoring many of the major college programs, these guys are already playing the equipment. Why not set it up to keep them on staff when they turn pro and allow TW to build a stable of players.

For all those who are saying this is never going to happen and it's a crazy idea, what were you saying about Rory coming over to Nike????????

#9 golfs453

golfs453

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 208123
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

View PostKYMAR, on 16 January 2013 - 07:31 AM, said:

I think Tiger is still Nike's highest paid golfer.

#10 Jc0

Jc0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119066
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

I think they are just going to put TW gear back on the shelves again. Nike used to have their pricing where the standard nike stuff was about $50-60 for a shirt while the nice TW stuff was $75-85.  If you noticed the TW stuff kind of disappeared from the shelves after the scandal.  Probably just going to bring that back as the premium brand.

As for Rory I feel like they are going to use him to push their equipment and the main apparel line.  He is new school so he has less issues switching equipment than a older style player like Tiger and his demographic is more likely to buy the less expensive shirts, $50-60, vs a premium shirt, $80 and above.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,673 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

Look for Tiger to be wearing the RM logo before long.

#12 Gone Right

Gone Right

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168139
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:56 AM

It's obvious already that Nike are giving McIlroy distinctive, younger looking gear.  Tiger is there in his usual sweater and polo shirt, and Rory turns up in jeans, sneakers and jacket, none of which I can remember even a young Tiger wearing at any Nike event.  It makes sense to do this because Nike sell a huge amount of merchandise to older, wealthier golfers, a segment of the market the Tiger range appeals to, while they'll target the younger market with Rory and Thorbjorn Oleson.  To attempt to send rory out in Tigers gear would be a very strange marketing and sales idea.

#13 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214901
GolfWRX Likes : 731

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

This only makes sense to have Tiger become to golf what Jordan brand became to basketball. When you have two of the greatest to ever play their respective game, they have something that will last. Nobody cares much about Tiger's scandal anymore. Everybody has forgotten about Jordan's gambling, cheating on his wife, strip club escapades when he was playing. Now he's a mogul. Tiger following in those footsteps is natural. He's been many of the golfer's coming out, and even those on tour, idol for a decade +. Rory's admiration of Tiger and his accomplishments are documented, and I'm sure that played a major role in Rory joining the swoosh. The 200,000,000 reasons didn't hurt either. It was, and is, the same way with Jordan. Every basketball player wanted to be with Nike and Jordan. With the massive push Nike is making with Rory, the new staffers and  of course Tiger, they are primed to make a massive push in the golf industry.

As far as publicity and exposure, Tiger and Rory together at Nike has gotten the sports world's attention in a way that really hasn't been seen since Tiger was dominating. This is a very good thing for golf. It adds interest to a sport than has been waning a bit for a few years.

Edited by Frankensteins Monster, 16 January 2013 - 11:32 AM.

#14 Ajlepisto

Ajlepisto

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 177842
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

If high profile NBA players are still wearing the Jordan line, why wouldn't this happen in golf?

#15 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Wouldn't be surprised about the TW brand having it's own stable, but I would be shocked if it included Rory. You'll never see Kobe wearing Jordans, but there are other NBA players who do..........

I think Web.com players, rookies, and international (particularly Asian) players would be a great fit for the TW brand.

Edited by geesecougar2, 16 January 2013 - 11:45 AM.

RBZ Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Burner TP 07 14.5 Axivcore Green 79x
Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 105x
i25 4-PW KBS Tour X Soft-stepped 1x
Vokey TVD 56* & 60* S400
Scotty Pro Platinum Laguna

#16 Goldenhawk

Goldenhawk

Major Winner

• 3,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7653
GolfWRX Likes : 235

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Maybe Tiger is just getting ready for his post-player days.  Either that or he's thinking like Jack and would like to have his own line of golf clubs one day.
TM SLDR 10.5* Driver
Adams Super XTD Ti 14.5* and 18* Woods
Adams Super XTD Ti 19* Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-850 Forged, 4 to AW
Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
Mizuno MP-T5 Wedges, 56*/10* and 60*/10*

#17 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 16 January 2013 - 11:44 AM, said:

Wouldn't be surprised about the TW brand having it's own stable, but I would be shocked if it included Rory. You'll never see Kobe wearing Jordans, but there are other NBA players who do..........

I think Web.com players, rookies, and international (particularly Asian) players would be a great fit for the TW brand.

He's wearing them in this photo.

Posted Image

Here too.

Posted Image

And in this one also.

Posted Image

His entire outfit here is Jordan.

Posted Image

And then there's this.

Posted Image

Edited by Frankensteins Monster, 16 January 2013 - 11:55 AM.

#18 tbowles411

tbowles411

It's Paige Ocktobur - October. You're welcome.

• 19,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 2005

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:02 PM

View PostGoldenhawk, on 16 January 2013 - 11:47 AM, said:

Maybe Tiger is just getting ready for his post-player days.  Either that or he's thinking like Jack and would like to have his own line of golf clubs one day.
Probably this...it's called a steady income stream.  He probably owns huge amounts of Nike stock anyway.  More money never hurts.

#19 msegroves

msegroves

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 138589
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

View PostFrankensteins Monster, on 16 January 2013 - 11:53 AM, said:

Posted Image

Here too.

Posted Image

And in this one also.

Posted Image

His entire outfit here is Jordan.

Posted Image

And then there's this.

Posted Image

LOL!

#20 geesecougar2

geesecougar2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104647
GolfWRX Likes : 219

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

I meant, now, on the court post Kobe getting his own line. Those photos look like they are from the days when he was still Shaq's sidekick. Still wearing #8.

In every day life, yes he could be wearing Jordans, because Jordans are sweet.

Edited by geesecougar2, 16 January 2013 - 12:12 PM.

RBZ Tour 9* Diamana Whiteboard 73x
Burner TP 07 14.5 Axivcore Green 79x
Rescue 11 18* Aldila RIP 105x
i25 4-PW KBS Tour X Soft-stepped 1x
Vokey TVD 56* & 60* S400
Scotty Pro Platinum Laguna

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 Frankensteins Monster

Frankensteins Monster

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

View Postgeesecougar2, on 16 January 2013 - 12:08 PM, said:

I meant, now, on the court post Kobe getting his own line. Those photos look like they are from the days when he was still Shaq's sidekick. Still wearing #8.

In every day life, yes he could be wearing Jordans, because Jordans are sweet.

No doubt but Rory is still a youngin' like Kobe was. He doesn't have his own line, and is very far away from that now that he's signed with Nike for 10 years. I could see him wearing Tiger's clothing line.

#22 Splitter

Splitter

The truth is out there....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63256
  • Ebay ID:salemander
GolfWRX Likes : 425

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

View Posttembolo1284, on 16 January 2013 - 07:14 AM, said:

with rory's growing pains from switching equipment.

Haha!

I can just see them at The Oven

Tiger:  Hey Rors, you should ditch that 8* setup and go 10.5*...

Rory:  why

Tiger:  more distance

Rory:  seems spiny and not Rolloing out now

Tiger:  no, no..  Just trust me..  In a tournament it will be perfect

Rory:  ok, yer the boss!

Tiger:  yes, yes I am...  

LATER THAT DAY

Tiger:  hey mr. Nike Master Clubfitter

NMCF:  wassup tigs?

Tiger:  rory told me his irons were going too short and way left.

NMCF:  ya, so...

Tiger:  he had to jump on a plane but asked me to make sure you strengthened the loft of every club by 2* and flattened them all 3*

NMCF:  wow, that kids got a crazy swing..  But hey, you're the boss..

Tiger:  yes, yes I am

#23 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Honestly...for that plan to happen...Tiger needs to really start winning again...especially a major.  He really needs to contend and be a threat in the majors.  

What would be awesome for Nike is to have TW and RM battling it out in some tournaments.  Give some wins to TW and some to RM...it would be the rivalry every has wanted in the modern golf era.

#24 Sooner1

Sooner1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64798
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

View PostSkaffa77, on 16 January 2013 - 12:36 PM, said:

Honestly...for that plan to happen...Tiger needs to really start winning again...especially a major.  He really needs to contend and be a threat in the majors.  

What would be awesome for Nike is to have TW and RM battling it out in some tournaments.  Give some wins to TW and some to RM...it would be the rivalry every has wanted in the modern golf era.

he won 3 times last year not including his chevron challenge in dec 2011.  i agree a major will help but he is winning and contending on a consistent basis.  put 2000 out of your mind. no one will have that season again for a while.  and really rory is the one guy that could do it.

#25 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

I could see them reinventing & reenergizing apparel a bit with an RM collection......

The real retail popularity of Mr  Woods was about 5-10 years ago those buyers are now older....
   Right now I see more of the TW brand in TJ Max and Marshalls than I do in proshops. jus sayin

Edited by spitfisher, 16 January 2013 - 01:05 PM.

#26 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
GolfWRX Likes : 866

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

It seems the smoke blowing is all yours.  "Elsewhere", "recent stories" just excuses to post made up rumors.

His contract is less than 3% of their golf revenue, microscopic compared to Nike's $25 billion total revenue, what "power" do you think he has?  

When Rory gets Oregon to change the colors on its basketball floor, we'll know he has power.

#27 mallrat

mallrat

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122361
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Whether the TW line gets it's own stable has nothing to do with more power.

Tiger will probably continue to be involved in clothing direction and the TW line opens up some golfers to possibly wear the TW line without having a full Nike bag.

That said, TW will not be wielding more power. Tiger makes no business decisions on campus, no sales decisions, no marketing plan, etc. So the the original post, NO Tiger will not be wielding more power, just b.s. rumors.

#28 4rheel

4rheel

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20950
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

It would make absolute sense.  The Jordan brand is worn by high profile NBA players such as Melo, Wade & Chris Paul.  I can see some of the young bucks (except Rory) wearing TW branded clothing as well.

#29 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

tiger is told what to wear, not the other way around. Hes a golfer not a product line manager or director of marketing. He may have some input on how much grind he prefers on his PW or loft and lie on his method putter but thats about as far as it goes. and only for his own clubs.  the clubs you buy are decided on by stites and company. The decision of what  shirt style and color he wears on given saturday of the tourney he is scheduled to play, is made available to dealers 6-8 months ahead of time.

The concept of how businesses operate with some people on this board just blows me away. they have either have no clue or have no experience working at a decision making position with a company of any size.  This isn't peewees play house this is about brand awareness, selling product to make money-preferably lots of it, in the most efficient way possible. The fewer the customers -such as golf ( when compared to basketball)  the more critical the decision, cost of goods, ROI, market share and "go to market" strategy.  The latter of which we just witnessed with Rory.The products that are marketed for Rory will come full bloom in 12-15 months to the dealers and 15-18 for the consumer.

Edited by spitfisher, 16 January 2013 - 03:59 PM.

#30 nochct1

nochct1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57177
  • Ebay ID:dlcloser
GolfWRX Likes : 493

Posted 16 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

View Postspitfisher, on 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM, said:

tiger is told what to wear, not the other way around. Hes a golfer not a product line manager or director of marketing. He may have some input on how much grind he prefers on his PW or loft and lie on his method putter but thats about as far as it goes. and only for his own clubs.  the clubs you buy are decided on by stites and company. The decision of what  shirt style and color he wears on given saturday of the tourney he is scheduled to play, is made available to dealers 6-8 months ahead of time.

The concept of how businesses operate with some people on this board just blows me away. they have either have no clue or have no experience working at a decision making position with a company of any size.  This isn't peewees play house this is about brand awareness, selling product to make money-preferably lots of it, in the most efficient way possible. The fewer the customers -such as golf ( when compared to basketball)  the more critical the decision, cost of goods, ROI, market share and "go to market" strategy.  The latter of which we just witnessed with Rory.The products that are marketed for Rory will come full bloom in 12-15 months to the dealers and 15-18 for the consumer.

I don't think anyone is saying that tiger is sitting in marketing meetings or discussing product development.

It's a discussion about nike and the direction that they are going to go. Will they follow the basketball strategy and have a TIger brand and a Nike brand? I think they will. It will allow them to reach different markets. In that sense, tiger would have more "power". Not in the day to day, but in how his name and image are utilized by Nike.

I agree, most people don't understand how a business is run. But I think you're missing the point as well.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors