Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What is "Memphis 10" shaft?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 307golf

307golf

Powder River, Let'er Buck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20944
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

I have an old 3-wood that I really hit well.  I'd like to have it re-shafted as the shaft is 13-14 years old.  It is an old Callaway  3-wood which came out the same year as the original Big Bertha.  It's obviously got the bore-thru hosel and a shaft that says Memphis 10 on the shaft band.  What the heck is that?  It doesn't even have a flex listed unless 10 is some code number for the flex...

I'll probably have a rifle 6.0 shaft put in it as that's what's in my irons unless this sounds like a bad idea to those who know more about this than I do.  Do they make a shaft for a 3-wood from rifle?  Should it be sent back to Callaway or can a reasonably competent club pro handle this type of job?

I don't want the thing to break at a bad time, during competition, but I do hit the thing a ton.

Thanks for the info.

307golf

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Gallery_John39_*

Gallery_John39_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:01 PM

The Memphis 10 shaft was a propriotary shaft designed by Callaway with True Temper sports.  It was the most used shaft by Callaway back then.  The company True Temper is located in Memphis Tennesee and thats where the "10" came in.  Just one of the cryptic names on clubs or components put out over the years.  You can put in any steel shaft you would like to in that golf club, the 6.0 you mentioned is a very good choice.  Good luck!

#3 jzatl04

jzatl04

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3152
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:03 PM

Memphis 10 is the name of the shaft.  True Temper's headquarters are (or used to be) in Memphis, TN.  I believe the 10 is for the number of steps on the shaft.  Hence the name "Memphis 10."  It's a uniflex shaft that was the standard for many Callaway woods.  And, yes, a competent clubfitter can handle reshafting with whatever you want.
Covert Tour Fubuki Tour 63 X
Exotics CB1 15 Aldila VS Proto 80 X
Idea Pro 18, Airmuscle 21 VS Proto X
VR Pro Blades 4-PW X100 SL
VR Pro 54, X Tour 60 S400
Nike Method 001

#4 307golf

307golf

Powder River, Let'er Buck!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20944
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 07 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

Thank you both.

#5 jasba

jasba

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26330
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

IIRC, memphis 10 was very similar to a True Temper TT lite shaft in performance, weight, kickpoint, etc.....

#6 airball7

airball7

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16824
  • Ebay ID:airball7
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 08 March 2007 - 02:15 AM

If I recall correctly it's a TT lite R flex hardstepped once.
Callaway FT-3 Tour 9.5 UST V2 67g S
TaylorMade Burner TP 14.5 RE*AX 75g S
Callaway FT-Hybrid 17* Uniflex Steel
TaylorMade RAC LT 3-P Rifle 6.0
Titleist Vokey TVD-M 54* DGS200
Mizuno MP-T10 60* DGS200

#7 leftyb

leftyb

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64435
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:06 PM

Old thread I am bringing back up to get some feedback - I have some Callaway X-12 irons and need to reshaft my 7 iron due to a broken shaft and want confirmation from someone that the TT lite R flex would be the equivalent to the "Memphis 10" shafts.  The bands on my shafts actually say "Memphis 10 98" as the clubs were made in 1998, any significance to the 98 reference?

#8 sk373

sk373

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30156
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 19 September 2008 - 10:48 PM

OEM shaft replacement guide for Callaway clubs.  the closest replacement for the Memphis 98 is the TT TX-90, though i would prolly choose FST 90 shafts instead.

#9 JCAG

JCAG

John Curry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21371
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 20 September 2008 - 11:54 AM

The closest available shaft match for the older Memphis 10 shafts would be the True Temper Dynalite.

Edited by accufitgolf, 20 September 2008 - 11:56 AM.

#10 3step

3step

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42998
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 21 September 2008 - 09:01 AM

Why would you ever contemplate changing your shaft that is going so well?

Most every one of us on this site has made the mistake of replacing a club that we were doing great with and then after one round of trouble or a grandiose moment of thinking we could do even better, and then regretting our choice. I once changed my putter length, after going two years without ever having a bad putting round, and then finding all kinds of three putts. What was I thinking?

Your shaft is not like a used car that is slowly wearing out and will need parts replaced.

If you are hitting it a "ton", a 13 or 14 year old shaft has many thousands of hits left in it. and has the same chance of breaking as a brand new shaft, which of course, is very small.

If you change the shaft- at best, you will hit it a ton. But..., if you do change the shaft, there is a higher percentage chance that you will ruin the great interaction you have with this club and your performance will go down the tubes.

Another thing, "Memphis 10" is a name that Callaway uses for some of their shaft models, likes Chevy uses Malibu uses for some of their car models. The models change, but the name stays the same. There have been a few different "Memphis 10" models, like Titleist uses "Tri-Spec" for different shaft models of the years.

Regards, 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors