Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Honeymoon in Hawaii - Only allowed 1 Day of Golf - Which to choose?

Hawaii Golf

50 replies to this topic

#1 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125633
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Hello All,

My fiance and I wanted to be different...so we booked our honeymoon tickets to the little known island of Hawaii  :/

We leave in late October and will be hitting 4 islands (Kauai, Oahu, Maui and the Big Island)

Annnnyways.....she doesn't golf and has zero interest in it.  I was, however, able to convince her to allow me 1 full day of golf while she goes to the spa so I must choose wisely

From what I have read, the experience package from Maui Golf Shop sounds darn fun.  18 holes at Challenge at Manele and 18 holes at Experience at Koele.  But hate to leave Hawaii and not play the Plantation course.  I'm still trying to convince her for 1.5 days of golf to get an extra twilight round in somewhere but that may take some serious spa money :)

So...for those who have played golf over there....what are your opinions on what I should do with my 1 day of golf freedom?

Thanks

Jason

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,003 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 3185

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Kapalua has a really good spa at the Ritz Carlton. You could play the Plantation and Bay course's. I'm going to Kauai next week and will be playing both courses at Princeville so I could give a better recommendation in a few weeks.

#3 rgk5

rgk5

rgk5

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:27 PM

View Postg8tor20, on 15 January 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

Hello All,

My fiance and I wanted to be different...so we booked our honeymoon tickets to the little known island of Hawaii  :/

We leave in late October and will be hitting 4 islands (Kauai, Oahu, Maui and the Big Island)

Annnnyways.....she doesn't golf and has zero interest in it.  I was, however, able to convince her to allow me 1 full day of golf while she goes to the spa so I must choose wisely

From what I have read, the experience package from Maui Golf Shop sounds darn fun.  18 holes at Challenge at Manele and 18 holes at Experience at Koele.  But hate to leave Hawaii and not play the Plantation course.  I'm still trying to convince her for 1.5 days of golf to get an extra twilight round in somewhere but that may take some serious spa money :)

So...for those who have played golf over there....what are your opinions on what I should do with my 1 day of golf freedom?

Thanks

Jason

Do not pass up the Plantation Course.  I played it in August and the experience was fabulous. The vistas, conditions, and the variety of shots required were outstanding.
Cobra Bio Cell+ 10.5*, Red Tie 6Q3 X
Cobra Bio Cell+ 3-wood, Red Tie 6Q3 S
R. Fowler Proto 56*, Eye 2+ LW, 61*
Yes 1 Carolyne 47"
WS D-100 5-gw, Matrix Studio 6.1 R
Adams A7 22*, Proforce V2 S

#4 sharkiesj

sharkiesj

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6582
GolfWRX Likes : 240

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

I think the Plantation is the one you should play for sure. Playing on Lanai is ok, but they really didn't do all that much for me. I know that sounds lame, but you could do Lanai on a return trip. Playing the Plantation is a very fun and unique experience. The range is a letdown but the other facilities are very good and the food is great as well.

The trade winds will dictate your round and your experience. If its blowing hard you'll appreciate the wide fairways. If its not the course can be overpowered. The greens are HUGE and you'll probably 3 putt a bit more here but you're in paradise so enjoy the amazing views.

One last note. Lanai golf and Kauai golf are very very nice, as is Big Island golf. But playing golf on those courses are all fairly similar. The Plantation is really a blast, a slightly different experience. It's fun to stand on 17 and 18 and watch your drive roll forever. As well as trying to drive the short par 4s. You don't really get that at any other HI course.

Pm me if you have any other questions, I've played every single course in HI, except for a couple private ones.

#5 ricar1610

ricar1610

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46467
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 PM

I like the fact that you are still in the getting permission phase. I just go play now and suffer the wrath.

Good luck! Oh, and in your future marriage too :)

I would go Plantation - you'll be kicking yourself if you don't. I am sure there are better courses there - maybe - but you won't be watching them on TV for then next 50 years. By then you'll have great stories for each hole...

913D3 9.5* GD Tour AD BB 6s
913F 17* Diamana D+ 82s
913H 21* Fubuki AH 400s
690.CB 4-PW DG s300
SM4 56*/62*
Studio Select Newport 2

#6 falken19150

falken19150

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72546
GolfWRX Likes : 96

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:54 PM

Play the Plantation and Bay Course at Kapalua.  No questions asked.  Don't bring your clubs just for 1 day of golf.  Too much trouble lugging them around.  Go to Lahaina and there is a golf shop accross the street from the downtown shopping mall.  They have $35 rentals for Taylormade equipment, better than dropping the $100 at Kapalua for their rentals.

Lanai and the golf there is nice but the boat ride sux.

Hit Driver off the tee on #4 on the Bay Course.  Be prepared for rain.  It usually passes so don't get frustrated.

#7 PutterKilledTheDream

PutterKilledTheDream

" it's definitely your spin loft bro..."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204131
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with alot of what's been said. My folks lived a stone's through from the Kapalua courses for 3 years and although the Plantation is an amazing course with great views, it's typically crazy windy and can get unplayable depending the time of day you play. The Lanai courses are amazing and don't get any play- especially the Challenge @ Manele Bay...no homes, nothing  but ocean front cliff holes. The Experience is just that. It's a fun day to take the first ferry over and get in 36 holes and a better value for your dollar.

#8 Judge Smales

Judge Smales

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 465 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98611
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Lanai.  Not even close.  I was lucky enough to play Kapalua and both Lanai courses on my one trip to Maui.  Plantation is not really even "on" the ocean.  It's nice, but you get over the WOW factor pretty quickly.  Lanai is total opposite of that.  Play the mountain course first, and you may need to bundle up.  It was chilly when I played it.  Then take the shuttle down the mountain to Manele.  There are two holes that are worth the price of admission on the back 9.  #12 (I think) Par 3, and #17.  Both right on the ocean with unforgettable views.  And as good as Manele is, I enjoyed Koele more.  Tee shot on its 17th hole is unreal.  Plus, I actually think it would be easier to hit the Plantation course on a return trip, not Lanai.  Honestly, this one shouldn't even be close.  Lanai should be your destination.

#9 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Thanks guys for the info.  Seems like it's a tough one to answer.

For what its worth, I doubt I will be going back to Hawaii anytime soon.  I live in South Florida as it is and have all sorts of Caribbean islands for the relax / water adventure stuff.  There are so many places in the world to visit that I'd doubt I would trek out there again anytime soon.

So...I get one proverbial bite at the apple.  I'm gonna try my hardest to get 1.5 days.  If I can do that, I assume its best to do the Challenge/Experience plus half day Plantation?

If I do Plantation (1/2 day), I could do another 1/2 day somewhere else

And yes...I will not be bringing my clubs.  It would be well over $100 for airline baggage fees (American Airlines plus Hawaiian Airlines) plus the hassle of carrying those all over the place.  I see Maui Golf Shop has a special if you rent clubs for 1 day, you get the next day free.  So, if I can pull a 1.5 days of golf, I'll probably do them both on Maui.

Thanks guys for the added confusion.  :)

#10 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

plenty of time between now and honeymoon....

may i suggest you work on the art of marital negotiation/compromise

Tour Preferred MB 6-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* &Ping Tour 56* SF 125
DHY 27* Super Pro 23* Steelfiber i110
Rescue 19* i110 Jetspeed TS 14* RIP 70b
SLDR 12* - Speeder 57 X
Spider Ghost C/S

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:22 PM

View Posttmfool, on 15 January 2013 - 06:18 PM, said:

How do you think I got the 1 day?

#12 arkyrab

arkyrab

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 207181
  • Ebay ID:Pontevedra51
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

Count me in to the voting to play the Plantation at Kapalua on Maui.  I played it twice in July and had a great experience.
On Kauai I would go for Princeville, Poipu Bay and Kiele.  The latter two could be played same day.  Views from Kiele are spectacular.

#13 Chicago Lefty

Chicago Lefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97624
GolfWRX Likes : 181

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:24 PM

I've played a bunch of courses in Maui...play the plantation and bay course at Kapalua....I've only played Kapalua once but it was probably the most memorable round I've ever played.

#14 sowned67

sowned67

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168115

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

I just got back from Hawaii and played the plantation...I spent 3 weeks in hawaii...

I was disapointed in all the hype surounding the plantation...

maybe my expectations where to high because everyone says its a must play but i have to disagree...
its a great course dont get me wrong very beautiful but there is more stunning courses in hawaii...

All i have to say is Koo'lau...

As far as scenery and just playing an absolutely amazing course anyone that has played both i dont think they will disagree with me...
its not the funniest course because its a really hard course... better to just enjoy the round and not keep score (my opinion)

But yea i would play Koolau over the plantation any day...

i think its ranked 13th hardest course is united states... but its scenery is second to none...
playing in the jungle on a mountain... words cant describe it...

If i only had one around it would without doubt me koolau...

get the hawaiigolfdeals card for 39 bucks and you get unlimited golf range balls/ card there for 75 bucks for the day... so cheaper than the plantation also...

I played about 6 rounds at koolau when i was there 2 weeks ago... its also one of obama's favorite courses also if that means anything...

#15 AirmanSmith

AirmanSmith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215229
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

i know you wanna play the plantaion who doesnt! i also had my honeymoon in HI and like you i could only play for a day with the same arrangement! lol i played both courses @ turtle bay had a ton of fun! Palmer course really holds it own as far a HI golf goes. highly recommend it

#16 cleguluche

cleguluche

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 166951

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

If you have your heart set on playing on Maui then hit Kapalaua and play in "da game" ...its a money game for locals and any other good players that know about it.  You get to play with good players versus some vacation hacks.  Better yet you pay a local rate (which more than makes up for the buy-in).  Plus make a birdie and you might win a skin.  They play every day 1pm and it rotates between Bay and Kaanapali.  Call the shop and ask where they are playing and get yourself on the board.  You could play Plantation in the morning and then turn it around in the afternoon for da game if they're at the Bay.  Kapalaua is cool if you've never done it but your day could be absoutley ruined if the wind is up.

IMO the newly revamped course (done by Rees Jones) at Mauna Kea is epic.  Plus the beach at the Mauna Kea resort is one of the best in all of Hawaii.  If you can get on Kukio then thats where you want to play hands down.

#17 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:46 PM

View Postg8tor20, on 15 January 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

ok...
plan b = turn your fiancee into a golfer before the honeymoon

start w/ holly sonders wardrobe shopping spree.
Tour Preferred MB 6-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* &Ping Tour 56* SF 125
DHY 27* Super Pro 23* Steelfiber i110
Rescue 19* i110 Jetspeed TS 14* RIP 70b
SLDR 12* - Speeder 57 X
Spider Ghost C/S

#18 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:53 PM

View Posttmfool, on 16 January 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

View Postg8tor20, on 15 January 2013 - 06:22 PM, said:

ok...
plan b = turn your fiancee into a golfer before the honeymoon

start w/ holly sonders wardrobe shopping spree.

Haha.  I think I'd be afraid to even see her swing a club.  She's more of the barbie type.

We're still in the honeymoon phase so I think I can really get the 1.5 days of golf if I whine enough....but I know i'll pay for it 2 fold somewhere down the road.

But we'll see.  I got lots of time to figure it out

#19 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

View Postcleguluche, on 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

If you have your heart set on playing on Maui then hit Kapalaua and play in "da game" ...its a money game for locals and any other good players that know about it.  You get to play with good players versus some vacation hacks.  Better yet you pay a local rate (which more than makes up for the buy-in).  Plus make a birdie and you might win a skin.  They play every day 1pm and it rotates between Bay and Kaanapali.  Call the shop and ask where they are playing and get yourself on the board.  You could play Plantation in the morning and then turn it around in the afternoon for da game if they're at the Bay.  Kapalaua is cool if you've never done it but your day could be absoutley ruined if the wind is up.

IMO the newly revamped course (done by Rees Jones) at Mauna Kea is epic.  Plus the beach at the Mauna Kea resort is one of the best in all of Hawaii.  If you can get on Kukio then thats where you want to play hands down.

Can I get in the "game" with like a 14 cap?  What's the usual buy in?

Thanks for the Mauna Kea info.  I'm super confused on what to do.

#20 PutterKilledTheDream

PutterKilledTheDream

" it's definitely your spin loft bro..."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,797 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204131
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

View Postcleguluche, on 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM, said:

Yes....I remember playing in the game on the village course back in the day. Played with some German dude who worked at Kapalua and just bombed it....great times, forgot about the game!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 6thFairway

6thFairway

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 332

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:25 PM

Let me give you some other advice.    It's "I'm only going to play one day in Hawaii", not "I'm only allowed to play one day in Hawaii."   Life with the wife and the guys works a lot better that day.   You got together with your soon-to-be-bride and decided that you'd play once in Hawaii.   She's not your mom telling you what you're allowed or not allowed to do.

#22 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 03 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest you just enjoy your honeymoon in Hawaii and don't play golf.  First, schlepping your clubs all the way there and around four islands ain't exactly going to be the funnest or cheapest thing to do.  Second, your honeymoon is (hopefully) a once in a lifetime trip.  Don't get me wrong, I have dragged my clubs all over the place to play to play lots of remote, fantastic, and ridiculously expensive  courses.  I've also done the "day at the spa day at the course" bit.  And all the while my wife has been a really good sport about letting me do it.  But honestly if the first thing you can think about on your honeymoon is where to play golf, your head isn't in the right place.  Just go enjoy Hawaii and your honeymoon and don't worry about the golf.  I've been to Oahu and Big Island and am going back to Oahu in June.  It's ridiculously beautiful and so many good things to do that don't require you spending a whole day apart.  Honestly you couldn't tear me away from the beach there for 4 hours to play golf.  It's not, in my opinion, a true golf locale.  And if you really feel like you missed out, it's a good excuse to go back some other time.  Trust me, your wife might be saying yes and might genuinely be okay with you doing it.  But you'll probably do yourself and your marriage some good if you just come back to her and tell her you've decided against it.

Guilt trip over...

#23 mattuop

mattuop

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79402
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 03 February 2013 - 11:30 PM

I've only played the Plantation course, but yes, it was amazing and very memorable. Had a little rain and wind, but not bad at all.

I too would say skip golf. It's a once in a lifetime trip to start your marriage. Spend it together. Golf will be waiting when you come back.
Ping i25 9.5* with Fujikura Pro 63
Taylomade SLDR Mini 16*
Titleist 913H 21*, Adams a12 24*
Ping i20 6-UW
Mizuno MP-T4 55* and 60*
Mann Krafted Wide Body Rattler

#24 dcmidnight

dcmidnight

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,191 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18357
  • Handicap:5.1

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:18 AM

One thing though, you didnt mention you were going to Lanai at all. Maybe it was an assumption of everyone else here but the two courses you mentioned are not on one of the four islands you are going to visit - you realize its going to be some additional work flying to a 5th island to play golf. That being said, I stayed on Lanai for 8 days and couldnt disagree more with the statement that these courses in any way are "similar". The Experience is up in the mountains and feels like an amazing getaway course while the Challenge is right down on the water with some of the most amazing views I've ever seen - absolutely incredible.

If I had to play one course in Hawaii though, it would be Hualalai - hands down.
Callaway Alpha 815 - Rogue Silver 60
X2HP 15* - Speeder Tour Spec 7.2
TM UDI 1 iron - CTaper Lite
TM SLDR 4-PW - Steelfiber 95s
Vokey SM5 - 52* - 56* - 60*
SC MOTO SB - 35"
TM Tour Preferred

#25 agray94

agray94

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 223869
  • Ebay ID:agray94
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 04 February 2013 - 07:45 AM

I was only on oahu, but turtle bay is a shrine. It was awesome.

#26 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

I'm sure I could score some major points by not playing the round but I truly don't think she minds.  She loves the spa and I don't.  I love golf and she doesn't.  Seems to be fitting.

As for the trip of a lifetime thing...I dunno.  We go on a lot of trips.  We are both very lucky in that we come from good families who gave us the ability to enjoy other cultures a lot growing up.  Even as a couple, we take a few awesome trips per year.  I don't think missing 5 hours one afternoon will darken the memories at all. If anything, I think it could help.  I can't tell you how many threads I have read where everyone mentions how they don't remember much but they do remember their 18 holes on Plantation.  And I'm sure she'll love the spa time since I know she will be ultra stressed with the wedding.

Anyways...I understand where you guys are coming from and perhaps I can decide not to play if I feel that it will be a detriment to the trip.

I certainly wasn't going to drag my clubs everywhere.  I was planning on renting at Maui Golf Shop.  If I did, it would be $100+ in fees for airlines and island hopping flights.  If I decide on Plantation, I can decide when I get there and perhaps play in the locals game or some twilight rate as a single.

Thanks again everybody for the input

Edited by g8tor20, 04 February 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#27 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,590 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 784

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:04 AM

Definitely play.....  If you were going to your favorite resort you go to every other year in the Bahamas skipping it would be easy, but you can't bail on a once in a lifetime chance to play one of those courses.  It would be like going to Pebble just to watch the whales, or to St Andrews for, well I don't know why else you would go there......  Anyways, play Plantation for sure.  Forget the fact that another course might have a better view, etc......  you want the course that you get excited for once a year for when the PGA season starts up.

#28 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:33 AM

Those are my thoughts too HG.  I don't see us makingthat long trip out there again anytime soon.  We live in a nice beach town in South Florida and lucky to only have a 30 minute flight to the Bahamas or a 1 hour flight to cayman islands.  I won't need to fly to Hawaii for beaches and sun in the future.

But I understand the honeymoon is a special trip and one that may stand out in the future.  But I'd hate to not play the course.  I guess it's not a bad problem to have in the grand scheme of life :)

#29 CallawayLefty

CallawayLefty

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95918
GolfWRX Likes : 126

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:02 PM

View Posthighergr0und, on 04 February 2013 - 11:04 AM, said:

Definitely play.....  If you were going to your favorite resort you go to every other year in the Bahamas skipping it would be easy, but you can't bail on a once in a lifetime chance to play one of those courses.  It would be like going to Pebble just to watch the whales, or to St Andrews for, well I don't know why else you would go there......  Anyways, play Plantation for sure.  Forget the fact that another course might have a better view, etc......  you want the course that you get excited for once a year for when the PGA season starts up.

I guess.  I actually almost wrote in my post that "it's not like you're going to Pebble Beach and not playing there."  The courses in Hawaii look cool to me, and at some point I'd probably like to play them, but they're not Pebble Beach/St. Andrews/Augusta/etc.  They are just standard resort courses in a really cool locale.  But really you can hang out in a parking lot in Hawaii and still be constantly in awe of your surroundings.  Thus, I stand by what I said.  

And g8tor - sounds like you have a very cool fiancee/wife who will make the whole life of being a golf widow easy on you.  That's exactly how my wife is, and it's definitely something to take note of.  I won't dive too deep here, but a year or so ago there was a guy on this website who posted a long post right after his divorce about how he wished he had done this and that and this and that differently.  It was the standard stuff that you see on here, making golf the top priority, making club buying a priority, lying and/or scamming about both, etc.  I'm not saying you are IN ANY WAY doing that.  This sounds like pretty run of the mill vacation planning to me.  But I think his point was that when you really really like something, it's easy to lull yourself into thinking that it's 100% accepted by the folks who are important to you, and it's easy to get distracted.  And sometimes it genuinely is fine (as in the case of your future wife and my wife).  But that doesn't mean that it might not be better to occasionally set it to the side and focus on what's really important.  I'm just telling you, if she's smiling and saying okay about the golf, wait until you see her reaction to you saying you're skipping it.  Go get a massage with her, chill out, have fun, live on Hawaii-time for a week - it's a not-to-miss experience in and of itself.

#30 g8tor20

g8tor20

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

Completely understand CL.

I went through a bad breakup about 7 years ago and swore I would never take anybody for granted.  So, no worries on that front.  We are the type of couple that pretty much do everything together.  She really hasn't found a hobby so we tend to stick together on everything...except for golf.  She knows its a passion of mine and she lets me do it.  She got me $600 gift card at TPC for Christmas just because she overhead me talking about the 17th island green.

If I get the feeling that leaving her for a spa day without me would upset her, then yes, I would skip.  I know there are more important things in life than golf.

She does take like 2 hours to get dressed and ready to go out.  Perhaps I'll set up a dinner at Plantation and at least for 2 of the hours I'm playing golf, she will be busy getting ready.  I've heard dinner there is really nice.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Also tagged with Hawaii Golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors