Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

I have a dream


  • Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

So I have been doing a lot of thinking..
My kids are getting older and I'm 35 years old
I played baseball and was scouted by some major league teams and had a few walk on try outs. I was offered some single/double A deals but with the young kids just couldn't take a risk as my kids needed to eat.
I have the desire I compete again and I have decided that .. It may be lofty but I am settin a goal to attempt to make the champions tour in 15 years.. It prob sounds crazy as its so long away but the process will be long and fun. I currently shoot low 70s with only 1 lesson in my life. I will prob not make it but I can't go thru life and not fight this feeling of the need to compete.
I have a friend in the business and he is going to set me up with a pro. I went and got all my clubs fully fit over last few weeks so bag is loaded and the process will begin.
I shared this with you all as I don't think anyone other then my amazing woman and children would understand what I am doing and why I am trying.

Well .. Here goes nothing.. It raining and it's 8am .. 36 degrees and I'm standing next to the putting green going to start some short game practice

Thanks for listening
Ken

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
  • Joined: 04/20/2007
  • Location:Maine
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

Good luck, play as many tournaments as you can. But a word of warning, there's a reason why it's called "the champions tour" it's the hardest tour to make in the world. They don't want journeymen, they want former tour stars. Imagine competing against vijay, Phil etc.

#3 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:21 AM

Like I said! Lofty
But if I'm going all in.. Why leave anything off the table
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

#4 Kadin 25

Kadin 25

    BIG K

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 5,405 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132451
  • Joined: 07/06/2011
  • Location:On The Green
GolfWRX Likes : 1118

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Well good luck nothing wrong with setting the bar high. I myself was recruited heavily for baseball. I had some offers as well for pro contract. I owned and operated my own baseball/softball facility.

I opted to go to college over signing and I got injured and that ended my pursuit of going pro. So I understand your desire to go pro.

The only advice I can share is a quote from Lee Trevino...."You need to be able to step onto any  local course and shoot under par at any given time. If you can't do that, there's no way you'll be able to play a course under TOUR CONDITIONS and make it. "

I hope you make it my friend.

See ya on the green....Kadin

Edited by Kadin 25, 15 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Featured Writer For GolfWRX.com
Editor Product Reviews
Product Tester/Review Panel
Winner TMag Naples Trip 2012
See ya on the green...Kadin

#5 afireinside

afireinside

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130248
  • Joined: 06/06/2011
  • Location:The Garden State
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:28 AM

I've got 22 years until Im eligible for the Champions Tour ... I've set the same goal for myself.

Good luck in your attempt!!! - It wont be easy ...

IDK about you but Im a golf addict now:  eat, sleep, work, play ...



AFI


#6 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

View Postafireinside, on 15 January 2013 - 09:28 AM, said:

I've got 22 years until Im eligible for the Champions Tour ... I've set the same goal for myself.

Good luck in your attempt!!! - It wont be easy ...

IDK about you but Im a golf addict now:  eat, sleep, work, play ...



AFI

Well in 22 years .. Look for me hopefully ill be out there and can show you around!
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

#7 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostKadin 25, on 15 January 2013 - 09:20 AM, said:

Well good luck nothing wrong with setting the bar high. I myself was recruited heavily for baseball. I had some offers as well for pro contract. I owned and operated my own baseball/softball facility.

I opted to go to college over signing and I got injured and that ended my pursuit of going pro. So I understand your desire to go pro.

The only advice I can share is a quote from Lee Travino...."You need to be able to step onto any  local course and shoot under par at any given time. If you can't do that, there's no way you'll be able to play a course under TOUR CONDITIONS and make it. "

I hope you make it my friend.

See ya on the green....Kadin

I agree 100%
I have broken par and I have a lot of work to do to break par consistently

This year is going to be about range and practice green and I have some local tourneys scheduled .

Gonna dip my feet in and get this pursuit started
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

#8 Pinseeker30

Pinseeker30

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209269
  • Joined: 10/29/2012
  • Location:Pennsylvania
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

All I can say is good luck my friend. But the first thing I would do is move, if your really in Rhode Island, you will need to practice 365 days a year to make it on a pro golf tour, not 6 months. I play to a +2 breaking par 8 out of 10 rounds and I could barely carry a pro players bag. At age 35, another thing your really going to want to work on is flexibility, so hit the gym regularly, your at the age where your going to start to lose some flexibility and that affects distance, and if your trying to make it on tour, the last thing u want is to lose distance. Also, play the hardest and longest courses you can find, because shooting 70's on your local muni is no where near shooting 70's at Oakmont or Bethpage. And if you have a job, you might want to quit, your definitely going to need that practice time. Other than that, don't forget family first, and I am rooting for you.

#9 cardoustie

cardoustie

    Unbeatable Twosome

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
  • Joined: 09/09/2008
  • Location:North of Toronto Canada
GolfWRX Likes : 335

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Who are the top 35-42 year old PGA pro's right now?  Those guys will be your competition!  Most of them are +7 and +8's I figure

I know a +4 who is considering the same dream in 4 yrs.

Good on you for dreaming big.  Start trying to qualify and play in state am's and mid-am's and see where you currently stack up
Titleist 10.5* 910 D2 Fuji TS 757x
Ping G25 4w Speeder TS 869x
PIng G25 20* Speeder TS FTBx
Ping Rapture J 4 iron
Vokey TVD sm4 M 50 & 54 + T62
Ping S55's Nippon 1150gh X

#10 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

View PostPinseeker30, on 15 January 2013 - 10:39 AM, said:

All I can say is good luck my friend. But the first thing I would do is move, if your really in Rhode Island, you will need to practice 365 days a year to make it on a pro golf tour, not 6 months. I play to a +2 breaking par 8 out of 10 rounds and I could barely carry a pro players bag. At age 35, another thing your really going to want to work on is flexibility, so hit the gym regularly, your at the age where your going to start to lose some flexibility and that affects distance, and if your trying to make it on tour, the last thing u want is to lose distance. Also, play the hardest and longest courses you can find, because shooting 70's on your local muni is no where near shooting 70's at Oakmont or Bethpage. And if you have a job, you might want to quit, your definitely going to need that practice time. Other than that, don't forget family first, and I am rooting for you.

Thank you for your advice.
First off.. I'm not looking for the pro tour tomorrow... It gonna be a longer process with many short term goals with the main goal to make the champions tour down the road.. As far as my fitness. I am a personal trainer and I am 100% in the best shape of my life at 35.

I do travel in off season as well as play in a league during the winter on a high def simulator.

This is gonna be a long journey.. I'm just trying to gas up the vehicle and get a big bag of snacks together..

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

View Postcardoustie, on 15 January 2013 - 10:48 AM, said:

Who are the top 35-42 year old PGA pro's right now?  Those guys will be your competition!  Most of them are +7 and +8's I figure

I know a +4 who is considering the same dream in 4 yrs.

Good on you for dreaming big.  Start trying to qualify and play in state am's and mid-am's and see where you currently stack up

The last part of your post is exactly what I will be working on this year!..
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

#12 ram01002

ram01002

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,025 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1598
  • Joined: 06/12/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 47

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Just a thought, why not try to be Randy Haag? (click on the "About Me, player resume tab")

http://randyhaag.com/

One of the top ranked senior am's in the country . . . was the low am at the Senior British Open a couple of years ago. You still get to play with the big fish, and actually have more access than many good players.

Edited by ram01002, 15 January 2013 - 11:07 AM.


#13 Pinseeker30

Pinseeker30

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 209269
  • Joined: 10/29/2012
  • Location:Pennsylvania
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Again I hope you the best, it sounds like you have a well thought out plan. The golf channel amateur tour is a good place to get your feet wet also, if they have them in Rhode Island. I have played a few of these in the Philadelphia area and they are fun and competitive, Play as many tournaments as possible so you become accustomed to the pressure. I had this dream once also, I was well on my way to the nationwide tour, and then I was hit head on riding my motorcycle, now my whole upper body is mostly metal plates and pins, I can still maintain a +2 handicap, but if I play more than about 3 rounds a week, I get so sore I am in bed for 2 days. I am 31 yrs old now, and the best advice I can give is don't give up, there will be times when it gets so frustrating you want to just quit the game totally, that's the time to step back and take your family away for a weekend or do whatever takes your mind off the game for a few days. Once again I wish you all the best.

#14 schuyler

schuyler

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118929
  • Joined: 12/14/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 105

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM

They should have you on one of those golf channel shows chaing the dream. Youd probably be better then that one guy goin for Champions Tour who could not break 80....ever. Good luck that sounds like a lot of fun! I'd like to see more posts along the way about how it's going.

#15 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

View Postschuyler, on 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

They should have you on one of those golf channel shows chaing the dream. Youd probably be better then that one guy goin for Champions Tour who could not break 80....ever. Good luck that sounds like a lot of fun! I'd like to see more posts along the way about how it's going.

I will def post any thing that happens.. My first tourney is thru the B.A.G.S. association at Exeter golf course in Rhode Island on April 14th

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

#16 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
  • Joined: 05/09/2009
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

View Postkjbowen, on 15 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

View Postschuyler, on 15 January 2013 - 12:35 PM, said:

They should have you on one of those golf channel shows chaing the dream. Youd probably be better then that one guy goin for Champions Tour who could not break 80....ever. Good luck that sounds like a lot of fun! I'd like to see more posts along the way about how it's going.

I will def post any thing that happens.. My first tourney is thru the B.A.G.S. association at Exeter golf course in Rhode Island on April 14th

Look forward to hearing how it goes. Best of luck in this pursuit.

#17 Sean2

Sean2

    Wait...what?

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,509 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29539
  • Joined: 05/23/2007
  • Location:South of Boston
  • Ebay ID:None
GolfWRX Likes : 2858

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Why not Ken? You have the time. You have the desire. You have the athletic ability. From one New Englander to another, best of luck! :-)

ps: If you ever get the opportunity, see if you can play Wannamoisett (Rumford, RI) . The Northeast Amateur is played there (an invitational), and some of the greatest golfers in golf have played in it. A true test of golf. :-)

Edited by Sean2, 15 January 2013 - 07:59 PM.

You can't divide the swing,
into parts,
and still have a swing.
Ernest Jones

#18 mp69

mp69

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115266
  • Joined: 09/22/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

View Postkjbowen, on 15 January 2013 - 08:14 AM, said:

So I have been doing a lot of thinking..
My kids are getting older and I'm 35 years old
I played baseball and was scouted by some major league teams and had a few walk on try outs. I was offered some single/double A deals but with the young kids just couldn't take a risk as my kids needed to eat.
I have the desire I compete again and I have decided that .. It may be lofty but I am settin a goal to attempt to make the champions tour in 15 years.. It prob sounds crazy as its so long away but the process will be long and fun. I currently shoot low 70s with only 1 lesson in my life. I will prob not make it but I can't go thru life and not fight this feeling of the need to compete.
I have a friend in the business and he is going to set me up with a pro. I went and got all my clubs fully fit over last few weeks so bag is loaded and the process will begin.
I shared this with you all as I don't think anyone other then my amazing woman and children would understand what I am doing and why I am trying.

Well .. Here goes nothing.. It raining and it's 8am .. 36 degrees and I'm standing next to the putting green going to start some short game practice

Thanks for listening
Ken

Go for it!  If that's what you want to do, then do it.  Whether you make it or fail is something you will have to come to terms with after, but I think the journey will be a great experience in it self.

#19 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 16 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

Good luck Ken...If you don't set goals, what do you have to keep you motivated to get better and see how good you can be, and how far you can go.

Like you said and others have pointed out, it's a very lofty goal, but whos to say it can't be done....Oh, I take that back some negative nilly will post, telling you all the reasons it's impossible.  Just ignore him/her and continue on with your dream/goal.

Best of luck from all of us!!
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#20 WJLIII

WJLIII

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 93942
  • Joined: 09/07/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:32 PM

Look at Allen Doyle, he started later in life and has had tremendous success.  He has donated a large amount of his time and winnings to charity which in my eyes makes him a True Champion.  Good Luck, always good to launch a few turkeys, you never know which ones will fly.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Fore_Man

Fore_Man

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,892 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68672
  • Joined: 11/04/2008
  • Location:New Hampshire
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

I'll be happy and maybe lucky to just shoot the scores I shoot now in 15-22 years...  And they're nothing special!  Good luck!

#22 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Joined: 05/23/2009
  • Location:Rhode Island
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 477

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

The biggest thing I fear if I don't at least try is.. What if in 10 years I tell some one that I always wanted to give it a shot and they ask why I didn't.
I don't want my answer to be " I don't know.. I just never tried I guess"
I want it to be I gave it my best shot and I wasn't good enough.
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* Matrix HD6 - X
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5*  Project X 8C4
Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* & 22*
PING G25 - 4-PW - CFS X
WITB Link
PING Gorge Tour 52* SS and 58* TS
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized

#23 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,687 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
  • Joined: 01/16/2006
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 296

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

View Postkjbowen, on 16 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

The biggest thing I fear if I don't at least try is.. What if in 10 years I tell some one that I always wanted to give it a shot and they ask why I didn't.
I don't want my answer to be " I don't know.. I just never tried I guess"
I want it to be I gave it my best shot and I wasn't good enough.
And THAT is really all that you need to say or worry about.  Again best of luck, someone else mentioned Allen Doyle and I was actually thinking of him as I read your post.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#24 RRFireblade

RRFireblade

    AKA Jay.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23410
  • Joined: 01/01/2007
  • Location:Central Florida
  • Handicap:+6.1
  • Ebay ID:RRFireblade
GolfWRX Likes : 680

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

You'll know in the next 2 years if you'll have a shot , if you don't (deep down inside) already.

15 years..... F that.

Get yourself into competive golf NOW. Mini tours in the next year or two.

Urgency my friend, get it or forget it.
RFE 8.5* XS
RHT #3 XS
Cally MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally Forged 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

#25 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

    Porked!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,565 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
  • Location:NYC
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 1284

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

go all in now as RRFireblade says...balls deep y0.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5* 0.5 Open
Wishon 929 HS 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 3-4 771 CSI, 5-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

#26 castellar

castellar

    Member

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182008
  • Joined: 05/20/2012
  • Ebay ID:castellar27
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:35 PM

View PostRRFireblade, on 16 January 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

You'll know in the next 2 years if you'll have a shot , if you don't (deep down inside) already.

15 years..... F that.

Get yourself into competive golf NOW. Mini tours in the next year or two.

Urgency my friend, get it or forget it.

this.  Be ready to grind my friend.  Sounds like your body is up to it so, no better day than today! You have a long journey ahead but I think getting after it NOW is the best and maybe the only bet.  These are a few names that will be over 50 in 15 years:

Tiger Woods ( World #2)
Luke Donald (#3)
Lee Westwood (#7)
Jason Dufner (#11)
Phil (#19)
Zach Johnson (#25)

Not to discourage you at all....just putting into perspective how good these champions guys are.  I admire that youre giving it a shot and wish you all the best!
Cobra AMP Cell Pro Fuji Fuel tour spec
RBZ Stage 2 tour 3 wood
Jetspeed hl 21* 5 wood
Cb2 4-GW KBS tour
Odyssey Black Tour #9
CG 15 54*, RTX 60*

#27 bdwalker93

bdwalker93

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171220
  • Joined: 03/26/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Anything is possible...

#28 kwelifan

kwelifan

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119921
  • Joined: 01/04/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 17 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Larry nelson didn't pick up a club until 21, turned pro at 24, and went to the PGA well before the age of 30. Obviously he was an anomaly, but it can be done.  Who knows how good someone could be with 15 years of dedication. Good luck.

#29 goobers80

goobers80

    gooberSammy - I have Autism

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168463
  • Joined: 03/09/2012
  • Location:East Coast
  • Handicap:+2.8
  • Ebay ID:goobies2007
GolfWRX Likes : 645

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:30 PM

View Postkjbowen, on 16 January 2013 - 02:23 PM, said:

The biggest thing I fear if I don't at least try is.. What if in 10 years I tell some one that I always wanted to give it a shot and they ask why I didn't.
I don't want my answer to be " I don't know.. I just never tried I guess"
I want it to be I gave it my best shot and I wasn't good enough.

Yes, i started a similiar (but am younger) goal after decidings having mental disorders , autism , and being mostly abused and stuffs all life , shoulds not stop me from trying. I never did much junior things , because was busy hiding in room and hoping nobody hurts me for the day. Being a girl , it is different path , as woulds thinks being a guy woulds be harder and am told by many that  that is the case.

Worst thing i says to do is listen to the peoples telling you , thats you haves to do this or that in such and such a timeframe. Tell those to shove off and keep at pace you can handles. Example is always shooting under par at any local course , etc . It takes time to learn how to *score* , not just hit great shots. I hit very good shots for most of shots , buts only recently met my future caddy who gave tips on how to score. My goal for past fall was 10 birdie putts a round and started getting that eventually.

I pushed self too hard last winter and ended up in bed for a month from exhaustion.  Of course i am differents and more fragile emotionally and haves higher social stress thans you woulds.

I woulds say If you wants to do it , do it . And do it your way.

As Corey Hart says , never surrender. I listen to song when depression is worse and i feels like loser and hopeless.


Edited by goobers80, 17 January 2013 - 11:33 PM.

Be Yourself Always
Titleist 913 D3 & F, Callaway 3 Deep
13* 712u , Ping i20 3-6 s56 7-9 irons
MP-59 PW , MP R-12 52* , 58*
WITB Link
Yes! Callie , Nike Method 001

#30 wobgon

wobgon

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
  • Joined: 04/20/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 556

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

This will sound negative but i could never understand the reasoning of people thinking that there golf game is going to be equal to the top seniors in the world  when they reach 50 when it is not equal to the top guys at there local club when they are in thier 30's, . I understand that they plan on dedicating themselves and plan on doing nothing but golf and practice for the next fifteen years, but the guys who are on the tour now, Phil, Westwood , luke donald, and all the others who already are at the top of thier sport will be doing nothing but golfing and practicing for the next fifteen years also,and they are already good enough.  I here a lot of people with the same plan as the op. and as i said, i dont understand because it is much easier for a 12 year old to make the pga tour by the time he is 27, than a thirty five year old scratch player to make the senior tour  by the time he is 50. Someone mentioned allen doyle. he won eight pro events before he joined the Champions tour. On the other hand, someone mentioned  Larry Nelson, which shows nothing is impossible. As far as the op, if he was a friend of mine, i would tell him to chase his dream. But because this is a golf forum where we express our opinions, I am expressing my opinion.I am sure some will bash me for sounding negative.

Edited by wobgon, 18 January 2013 - 01:18 AM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors