Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Why do most golfers refuse to use a PGA professional?

138 replies to this topic

#1 JMF33

JMF33

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131902
  • Ebay ID:i_never_3_putt
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:00 AM

It always blows my mind at the number of golfers that will spend thousands of dollars on the newest clubs every year but, they will decline to pay for instruction to actually fix their pathetic game. These golfers will listen to every hack, read every fad book, scour the Internet, buy every swing gadget however, they will never take a lesson. The reply is always the same when you ask them why " I don't want the local pro to mess my swing up", its laughable. Furthermore, I find it interesting that all the advancements have been made in clubs and balls but handicaps have not changed much and I have been playing golf for 20 years.

Edited by JMF33, 14 January 2013 - 10:10 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 XJared

XJared

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75475
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I think the mentality comes from it being a solo sport. When I was playing basketball, I would have never expected to have a winning team or be a great player without a knowledgable coach. I see the same applying here.

#3 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,047 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:1.7
GolfWRX Likes : 140

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I have found that it takes both technique and properly fitted equipment to improve scores.
TaylorMade R11 driver
Ping G20 3 wood
Ping Anser 20* hybrid
Ping i20 4-pw
Ping Tour S wedges
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

#4 Jacob Mac

Jacob Mac

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108513
GolfWRX Likes : 80

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

Bad teachers plays a role too.  It is hard finding a good teacher.

#5 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

Dismal River. There's nothing dismal about it!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 365

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:38 AM

It's because everyone here at GolfWRX already drives it 300+ yards and has a + handicap!

#6 596

Get in, buckle up and hold on !

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122006
GolfWRX Likes : 454

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Most people can't handle "uncomfortable" changes in their swings.  We know that what you do and what you feel in the swing is not really true.  Most people cannot fathom changing what they feel comfortable with to something that is actually right but feels uncomfortable.  Even if it fixes their swing they will not do it, it is out of their comfort zone.

We all talk all the time that if you want to be better you have to get fit, take a lesson(s) and practice.  90% of golfers do none of those.

I work at a course p/t.  I see days that start at 6:30 in the morning....4 somes teeing off one after another on a 27 hole course.  By the time I'm off work and ready to play, at 10am, I'm the first player on the range!!!!!!!!!!!  And you expect them to "take a lesson from a pro"?  They don't even warmup before they play.  Practice?  Lessons?...............no way.  They bought the new clubs (without a fitting)....that's all they need to break 110.

#7 ParChaser

ParChaser

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31596
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Expense, time commitment to practice and bad lesson experiences without improvement probably top the list among my golfing friends.  At least one has said my help is more effective than what he received from the Pro provided lessons. I have coaching experience and taken lessons over the last 30+ years from at least 8 different Pros, but have no real credentials. At this point I have reached a playing plateau, not sure more lessons would make any difference.

As a life long participant in other team sports, I had no choice when I was a kid whether to have a coach or not.  As an adult, I have never had a coach, just a general manager who coordinates the teams.

My wife enjoys golf, but is not at all interested in lessons, she could use them so not sure why she resists.

#8 russc

russc

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,840 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113539
GolfWRX Likes : 392

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

Golf pros teaching  ability follows a bell shaped curve.Some are awful ,most are average and a small % are very good.It is not easy to find the small number of very effective teaching pros and these pros are often too expensive for most people.

#9 fore_life

fore_life

REPS AND TRAJ...

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,100 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59484
GolfWRX Likes : 694

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

For me, it's the money. I know first hand that they help, but even only seeing someone every couple months means I have to make a choice of playing golf 4 times that month or taking one lesson and not playing at all. My golf budget per month is about $225/month, and most good teachers seem to charge nearly my whole monthly budget for an hours worth of work.
Cobra biocell PRO px 6.5
txxx burner 2.0 13.5 UST Attas 80x
txxx burner 2.0 18.5 ahina 80x
callaway  quad dot V protos 4-P ctaper X
raw txxx xft 51, xft 55/60
odyssey ti-hot 1
WITB Link

#10 jebb

jebb

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3534
GolfWRX Likes : 70

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I see the OP's point and how often do you read on here of even high handicappers putting more faith in a new driver than working on a reliable swing with a pro.

It doesn't add up and handicaps just stay where they were 20 years ago despite all the improvements in tech. Other factors are the effort and discomfort committing to a programme of learning, bad experiences with pros and the fact that lessons just seem very expensive.

That Aint Billy Bob!!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1028

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

'Most golfers' do not play 50 - 200 rounds/year like on WRX.
They are happy to go out once a fortnight with their mates, knock a ball around for a morning or afternoon, talk sh1te, have a few beers, and go home.
It's fairly easy in downtime to read an article in GD at the airport, watch a youtube video, etc... and have a bash at seeing if it works.
Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has a burning desire to break 100/90/80/par and put in the training effort to get there.
Done buying golf clubs. Hurrah!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Adams CB3 4-GW w/Steelfibers
Cally Forged 54* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#12 Sean25rp

Sean25rp

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 82451
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

View Postduffer987, on 14 January 2013 - 12:01 PM, said:

'Most golfers' do not play 50 - 200 rounds/year like on WRX.
They are happy to go out once a fortnight with their mates, knock a ball around for a morning or afternoon, talk sh1te, have a few beers, and go home.
It's fairly easy in downtime to read an article in GD at the airport, watch a youtube video, etc... and have a bash at seeing if it works.
Nothing wrong with that. Not everyone has a burning desire to break 100/90/80/par and put in the training effort to get there.

Agree with this.

#13 HappyGolf

HappyGolf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119650
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

In my opinion it's LACK OF RESULTS

If you knew 20 guys who all went for 2 lessons and then played beautifully you'd go right?

The alternative is 5 guys who've had 60 lessons each and chop it round like weed whackers, then you're probably going to save your money for beer! :)

#14 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

Chicks dig the bucket hat.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
GolfWRX Likes : 1549

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Most people just don't want to get better. I'm not judging. Some of us do, some don't. They want to play better THAT DAY than they normally play and that's about it. They don't even care about playing better this year than they played last year. They're just starting over. Oh, they'll start playing decent in their league about the end of July when a couple things come together, and get a twinkle in their eye because they had 4 pars and a birdie one day, but it all repeats itself next year.

I have buddies from work I golf with a lot. 5 years ago, we'd all battle with each other to break 95. Now, I'm shooting in the 70's every other round, and they're still gunning for that 95. But, they have fun. We still have fun playing together. I've talked to them about improving, but they just don't care.

One guy feels "embarassed" (or something) to go to the range. He doesn't want people to see how bad his swing is.

Not one of them has the mindset to bend over putts for an hour straight. Especially in the darker, colder winter months when I'm making changes and refinements.

They don't play enough rounds to throw a couple away while working on a swing change.

They might say they don't have the money or the time to see a pro, and work on their swing, but what they really mean is that they don't prioritize golf enough to do it. They play softball, bowl, play darts/pool/poker. When they're doing that stuff, I'm working on my game.

If they get new equipment, that's just because it's fun to get new stuff. They don't really think it's going to make them better.

#15 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 1000

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

It's an uninformed frame of mind that miss prioritizes in most facets of life, and later asks "why" can't I, or what's wrong.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 14 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#16 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1028

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostPepperturbo, on 14 January 2013 - 12:39 PM, said:

It's an uninformed frame of mind that miss prioritizes in most facets of life, and later asks "why" can't I, or what's wrong.

Exactly.

Hmm, how come my wife left me? Why didn't I get that promotion? Why does my kid keep starting fires at school?
Beats me... but I've got my weekly 1pm lesson on Saturday and if I don't get in that 5hrs on the range and play my usual 54holes a week, I'll be stuck at this embarrassing 8 index for another month.

Like that right?
Done buying golf clubs. Hurrah!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Adams CB3 4-GW w/Steelfibers
Cally Forged 54* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#17 kellygreen

kellygreen

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,380 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126874
GolfWRX Likes : 1202

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Some reasons have to do with the player...some reasons have to do with the sorry state (compared to other sports) of golf instruction.

Player reasons:

1. Want a quick-fix, and arent' willing/able to put in the time or effort necessary to genuinely improve.
2. No understanding of how exacting golf is compared to other sports, and how difficult it is (even for good athletes) to teach themselves to play well.
3. Refuse to see golf as a true "sport"...where how good one gets is determined by athletic ability, coaching, and work-ethic.
4. Players often unwiling to take one-step back, in order to go several steps forward.

Instructor reasons:

1. Golf instruction is LIGHT-YEARS behind that of other sports.  So many players do have their swings get worse without measurable improvement after lessons.

2. Many instructors are poor at adapting swing technique to the player's physical capabilities, and athletic instincts.   So many pros get taught the swing that their instructor LIKES...rather than a swing that is best suited to allowing the player to play his or her best.

3. Death of the playing lesson.  So---along with the explosion of high-speed video---many players get taught to play "golf swing"  rather than golf.

4. At the end of the day, a teaching pro is just that.  A GOLF PRO THAT IS A TEACHER....and many people wind up becoming teaching pros who either don't have the patience and the temperment to be good teachers...or just don't like teaching.

...and that winds up making for a miserable experience for the student.   No one's going to spend their hard-earned money to be rushed, disrespected, and made to feel uncomfortable or inadequate.

Edited by kellygreen, 14 January 2013 - 01:38 PM.

PIng G25 8.5/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping Rapture 13*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping G25 19*/Fuji MS 7.2 TS X
Ping S55 (3-PW)/ PX 6.5
Ping Tour Gorge 54* and 60*
Odyssey 2-ball Versa, 34"

#18 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
  • Ebay ID:gregr319
GolfWRX Likes : 319

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

View Postkellygreen, on 14 January 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

Some reasons have to do with the player...some reasons have to do with the sorry state (compared to other sports) of golf instruction.

Player reasons:

1. Want a quick-fix, and arent' willing/able to put in the time or effort necessary to genuinely improve.
2. No understanding of how exacting golf is compared to other sports, and how difficult it is (even for good athletes) to teach themselves to play well.
3. Refuse to see golf as a true "sport"...where how good one gets is determined by athletic ability, coaching, and work-ethic.
4. Players often unwiling to take one-step back, in order to go several steps forward.

Instructor reasons:

1. Golf instruction is LIGHT-YEARS behind that of other sports.  So many players do have their swings get worse without measurable improvement after lessons.

2. Many instructors are poor at adapting swing technique to the player's physical capabilities, and athletic instincts.   So many pros get taught the swing that their instructor LIKES...rather than a swing that is best suited to allowing the player to play his or her best.

3. Death of the playing lesson.  So---along with the explosion of high-speed video---many players get taught to play "golf swing"  rather than golf.

4. At the end of the day, a teaching pro is just that.  A GOLF PRO THAT IS A TEACHER....and many people wind up becoming teaching pros who either don't have the patience and the temperment to be good teachers...or just don't like teaching.

...and that winds up making for a miserable experience for the student.   No one's going to spend their hard-earned money to be rushed, disrespected, and made to feel uncomfortable or inadequate.

I would agree with a lot of what KG just said there. There is no one reason but they are all impactful in one way or another.

You have to be specific in who you're refering to, as well. Many of the folks who are actively trying to get better are younger players and many of them are either taking lessons, have taken lessons or are finding more useful information on the web. Younger people aren't looking to get rid of their disposable income on things like golf lessons either. The catch-22 is that many older folks who do have the money aren't looking to practice and re-learn the game. They play simply for recreation.

What you really want in a golf instructor is a good set of eyes and some real experience. That's what it boils down to. Finding that is hard enough, combine that with what PGA Pro's are asking these days and it's simply not tempting for all players.

There's also an influx of younger golf instructors flooding the PGA ranks to the point that potential students are going to doubt the credibility of many instructors, especially when cookie-cutter lessons are all the rage. Ultimately, effective teaching is about the student where as effective money-making is about streamlining and efficiency. In golf instruction those things are at odds. It takes a pretty giving instructor/teacher to really excell. I've seen instructors who just didn't take the time or energy they should have and I've worked with one who absolutely did.

The one thing that doesn't ever hurt is watching good players. Regardless of whether or not you're taking lessons, the best thing you can do for your game is to watch and take in the motions of a great player. That's something that all great players have done regardless of whether they've had proper instruction or not.

Edited by MelloYello, 14 January 2013 - 02:10 PM.

TaylorMade RBZ Tour   (TP HD6)
Nike SQ II 17*   (ProLaunch Red)
Nike SQ II 19*   (ProLaunch Platinum)
Mizuno MP-64 4-PW  (S300)
Mizuno MP-T4  52 / 56 / 60   (Spinner)

#19 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1961

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

1. Because most people just like to play and are ok with the level they are at.

2. A lot of people have homemade swings that work so when they go get instruction it messes them up and they stop doing it. It's a long process to make changes, a lot of people don't want to go through it.

#20 Jamboy72

Jamboy72