Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

OFFICIAL: McIlroy signs multi-year deal with Nike

113 replies to this topic

#91 golfcarte

golfcarte

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102511
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

[quote name='Hendu24' timestamp='1358200593' post='6227685']
[quote name='spitfisher' timestamp='1358199318' post='6227509']
[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1358198361' post='6227409']
[quote name='Hendu24' timestamp='1358198118' post='6227389']
[quote name='MrElculver2424' timestamp='1358196370' post='6227203']
[quote name='jjd975' timestamp='1358195926' post='6227133']
I also noticed Tiger with the old driver. Guess he didn't like the Covert, can't imagine him not trying it out.
[/quote]

He's always been slow to update his clubs. It might not be that he doesn't like it, but maybe just the fact that it doesn't help him anymore than the VR Pro LTD does. If he's comfortable with that, he's going to stick with it...at least for now.
[/quote]

He has been using the VR Pro, But i believe in the commercial he has swapped to the LTD. Interesting to see how it works for him. Tiger is Tiger though, he doesn't fix what isn't broken, still uses the same stuff until he knows its an upgrade for him
[/quote]

That's right, I forgot. His website still has his driver as the original VR Pro so it looks like he has in fact switched to the LTD. We'll see how it goes.
[/quote]

Hold it all those millions for him to use clubs, finally a bazillion dollar marketing promotion and he can't put a driver down for a commercial and play with the new one?   hes either very arrogant or oblivious or someone was asleep at the wheel at Nike.   That head shape, maybe not the same exact model,is currently priced at 129.99 with a free fairway wood at some stores- I mean why would you want any association with that driver on your latest and greatest commercial. BTW I noticed it with out really looking for it.
[/quote]

Tiger built Nike Golf, he can play what he wants and no one will question him. He plays what he feels gives him the best chance to win, who would question that?\

Most people in the golf industry know that if you're going to rep something in a commercial, you should probably game it too. That's why so many people feel that TM commercials are phony, where their staff tries out the RBZ stuff and is like "OMG so amazing" but a lot of them don't play it.
[/quote]

keep camilo villegas out of this (lol)!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#92 bdwalker93

bdwalker93

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 171220
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

yahouzaa

#93 MizzyBYU24

MizzyBYU24

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152579
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

The amount of Nike hate that is still present on these boards is amazing to me. If Rory's comfortable switching equipment, and confident with it so far, why do so many people care if he signs with Nike, and what the size of the contract is? Did these same people get outraged when they saw Ronaldo's contract a few months ago, or does the NBA outrage them, when there are plenty of player there that are making around the exact same as Rory? What about Peyton Manning's contract with Denver? It seems to me that the people hating on Rory for this, and hating on Nike are people that have looked down on Nike all along. Especially the "I'll stick with Titleist and Mizuno" or similiar quotes. I love Mizuno, been playing their irons for the last 6 years, and see no reason to switch, but I'm not going to look down on Nike. If Rory praises the equipment and the research that goes on at The Oven, then that's good enough for me. If it's good enough for the 2 best golfers in the world, I think everyone else will be okay with it. Excited to see the Covert drivers at Demo Day this spring, and I'm especially excited to see Rory and Watney's prototypes. If they're on the same level with the current 006 Midnight, then the prototype versions will probably be very similiar to the 009's both Rory and Watney used. Can't wait for that. Congrats to Rory, and congrats to Nike golf. They've built themselves up very well over the last 15 years. Good luck to Tiger and Rory on the 2013 season, I hope they can both shut a lot of these haters up.

Edited by MizzyBYU24, 14 January 2013 - 06:15 PM.

#94 pingman1

pingman1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6229
GolfWRX Likes : 104

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

View PostPingDaddy7, on 14 January 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Wow Unbelievable as yes you could tell how the interview was scripted. I did love the commercial. Why couldn't he discuss the option of switching back to his Scotty if the Method doesn't work out. These new Nike irons he is playing is the exact same design as the Titleist irons he played nothing newer in technology than what Mizuno, Titleist, or any other blade company hasn't came up with. To take a piece of equipment or ball & tweak it so it meets the specifications of a certain individual just means money is being spent for all the wrong reasons. Congratulations to Rory to sucking that money out of Nike as you can't blame him as I doubt it if it even puts a dent in their pocket book. What is worse is how many people will rush out now to buy the new Nike driver as I could not believe Rory actually said at the interview everyone here knows I don't play golf for the money....SERIOUSLY then talk more about your contract & what other company's  came close to what Nike offered. None! nobody is worth that kind of money as this country is faced with the highest Unemployment rate in history, children starving people homeless I don't need to go on. Reality TV & glorifying our athletes has become a priory in America. It's way out of control & we got nobody to blame but ourselves. I don't mean to sound so harsh as I wish Rory all the luck in 2013 but I hope he doesn't win a major in 2013 as Rory did nothing but blow smoke during that whole interview. He's probably on the phone now talking to Lebron James asking him how did I do?

We need to get off of this money kick.  Look at all sports, Thugs in the NFL are making hundreds of millions, MLB is full of multi millionaire drug addicts, Cyclists are being stripped of medals, and the list goes on and on.  We keep on buying tickets and supporting all of this. Oh, I forgot to mention the NBA!!!

#95 bscinstnct

bscinstnct

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 77664
GolfWRX Likes : 1786

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

View Postjgpl, on 14 January 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

OMG - that was one of the most CRINGING things I have ever witnessed

Not suprising though with Nike, classless and tacky as always

Well done Rory, take the money and get on with it

Thankfully, I am sticking with Tittleist and Mizuno gear..............where there is still a little class and dignity

I play mizuno irons

But after reading your post, maybe its time to change.

Haha! Just kidding, but not really.

Truth is, the biggest idiot I ever met on a golf course was  decked in Titleist.

He had class and dignity, acted like a tight@ss snob all day then drank 7 G&Ts and made a fool of himself hitting on the waitress.

#96 MizzyBYU24

MizzyBYU24

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

Also, as far as the issue of Rory's Scotty goes, he's switched putters plenty in his young career. He's only been using his Scotty for a couple years, I doubt the putter will be near as big of an issue as many people think it will be. He's obviously been practicing with it for a while.

#97 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54137
GolfWRX Likes : 698

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:24 PM

View PostMizzyBYU24, on 14 January 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

The amount of Nike hate that is still present on these boards is amazing to me. If Rory's comfortable switching equipment, and confident with it so far, why do so many people care if he signs with Nike, and what the size of the contract is? Did these same people get outraged when they saw Ronaldo's contract a few months ago, or does the NBA outrage them, when there are plenty of player there that are making around the exact same as Rory? What about Peyton Manning's contract with Denver? It seems to me that the people hating on Rory for this, and hating on Nike are people that have looked down on Nike all along. Especially the "I'll stick with Titleist and Mizuno" or similiar quotes. I love Mizuno, been playing their irons for the last 6 years, and see no reason to switch, but I'm not going to look down on Nike. If Rory praises the equipment and the research that goes on at The Oven, then that's good enough for me. If it's good enough for the 2 best golfers in the world, I think everyone else will be okay with it. Excited to see the Covert drivers at Demo Day this spring, and I'm especially excited to see Rory and Watney's prototypes. If they're on the same level with the current 006 Midnight, then the prototype versions will probably be very similiar to the 009's both Rory and Watney used. Can't wait for that. Congrats to Rory, and congrats to Nike golf. They've built themselves up very well over the last 15 years. Good luck to Tiger and Rory on the 2013 season, I hope they can both shut a lot of these haters up.
Stop with the hate thing. Sounds silly.

#98 tonyy

tonyy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65066
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

View Postjgpl, on 14 January 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

OMG - that was one of the most CRINGING things I have ever witnessed

Not suprising though with Nike, classless and tacky as always

Well done Rory, take the money and get on with it

Thankfully, I am sticking with Tittleist and Mizuno gear..............where there is still a little class and dignity

Was it really the MOST cringing thing you've ever seen? You must not see much then.

Yes, it was over the top and a little embarrassing but it was fun and outside of the box. Just like TaylorMade and their new marketing this year. It's something new and people like that. It's a different generation now and not everyone wants to see a bunch of people sitting in a circle doing quiet little golf claps after an introduction.

A lot of young kids with little class and dignity may be playing Nike.. but I'd rather be paired with them than a snob thinking he's an elite playing Titleist. *cough* you* cough*

Edited by tonyy, 15 January 2013 - 12:03 AM.

#99 little.adam

little.adam

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 160797
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:06 AM

I thought the commercial was hilarious. I showed some guys in my class tonight and they all laughed at it too. I like the two of them and the chemistry they have together, even in a scripted commercial. I'm excited to see if Tiger can match Rory's game for the next few years. Should be exciting.

#100 Josh L.

Josh L.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216403
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Does anyone know is Rory is still with Audemars Piguet?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#101 MizzyBYU24

MizzyBYU24

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:28 AM

View Postwobgon, on 14 January 2013 - 11:24 PM, said:

"Yes I agree as he is being held hostage by Nike"
"I don't mean to sound so harsh as I wish Rory all the luck in 2013 but I hope he doesn't win a major in 2013 as Rory did nothing but blow smoke during that whole interview. He's probably on the phone now talking to Lebron James asking him how did I do?"
"I thought I was going to puke watching the commercial."
"OMG - that was one of the most CRINGING things I have ever witnessed. Not suprising though with Nike, classless and tacky as always. Well done Rory, take the money and get on with it. Thankfully, I am sticking with Tittleist and Mizuno gear..............where there is still a little class and dignity"

Just saying what I see.

#102 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:29 AM

View Postjwrogers, on 14 January 2013 - 04:36 PM, said:

View Post502 to Right, on 14 January 2013 - 04:06 PM, said:

View PostPingDaddy7, on 14 January 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

nobody is worth that kind of money as this country is faced with the highest Unemployment rate in history, children starving people homeless I don't need to go on.

People from the Great Depression say hello.  Unemployment during the depression was over 25%.  It's currently around 8%.  Just fact checking for you.

While you are correct that the Great Depression was worse, your use of 8% as current unemployment is complete crap, too.   If you use the same labor force participation as 2008, it's still well over 10%.   If you count people who dropped out of the workforce or are underemployed, it's more like 17%.  

Unemployment numbers these days are a complete sham.
Thank you.

#103 tonyy

tonyy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65066
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:30 AM

View PostJosh L., on 15 January 2013 - 12:10 AM, said:

Does anyone know is Rory is still with Audemars Piguet?

Yep, he's still with AP.

#104 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostMizzyBYU24, on 15 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

"I don't mean to sound so harsh as I wish Rory all the luck in 2013 but I hope he doesn't win a major in 2013 as Rory did nothing but blow smoke during that whole interview. He's probably on the phone now talking to Lebron James asking him how did I do?"
"OMG - that was one of the most CRINGING things I have ever witnessed. Not suprising though with Nike, classless and tacky as always. Well done Rory, take the money and get on with it. Thankfully, I am sticking with Tittleist and Mizuno gear..............where there is still a little class and dignity"

Just saying what I see.

View PostMizzyBYU24, on 15 January 2013 - 12:28 AM, said:

Just saying what I see.
If you look at that and see hate, you don't know what hate is. As i said, you sound silly.

#105 MizzyBYU24

MizzyBYU24

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM

View Postwobgon, on 15 January 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

If you look at that and see hate, you don't know what hate is. As i said, you sound silly.

Yes, because saying Nike has no class or dignity has no hate in it. Agree to disagree?

#106 BradKWood

BradKWood

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 216827
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

Really enjoyed the commercial. Still won't be using Nike equipment on the course, but, really enjoyed the commercial.

#107 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:55 AM

View PostMizzyBYU24, on 15 January 2013 - 12:46 AM, said:

View Postwobgon, on 15 January 2013 - 12:34 AM, said:

Yes, because saying Nike has no class or dignity has no hate in it. Agree to disagree?
I agree. It has no hate in it.

#108 AWE46M3

AWE46M3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99680
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:16 AM

How long before he gets his own apparel line?

#109 Daniel Eason

Daniel Eason

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119644
GolfWRX Likes : 77

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

All those bashing TW on his old driver selection...spare a thought for the poor sod who has to answer calls as to whether A Machspeed 5W is still being made!

#110 spitfisher

spitfisher

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73111
GolfWRX Likes : 135

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:48 AM

View PostMizzyBYU24, on 14 January 2013 - 06:14 PM, said:

The use of the world "hate" to describe an opposing view is truly a sign of weakness by anyone that uses it, its insulting in nature and proves ignorance of the definition. Hate has a negative  conotation. Hate is also a very powerfull word, a word that I have taught my own kids the meaning of it, yet advised them that there really isn't any use for it in a practical sense. IE you can dislike something or not approve of a view, person or object. I don't believe anyone hates tiger woods for example. The same holds true for Fanboy although less of negative conotation and more cynical in nature.
Want to make a point? avoid both words, your opinion will instantly go much further.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#111 mr smith

mr smith

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 218761
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

Do the fanboys on this board really believe Nike cant make him a putter that performs the same as his scotty. Scottys are just knock offs of ping, how hard would it be to knock off a scotty?

I think the rest of the bag and the ball will be harder to get used to, especially the driver.

#112 wobgon

wobgon

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,743 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

View Postmr smith, on 15 January 2013 - 01:43 PM, said:

Do the fanboys on this board really believe Nike cant make him a putter that performs the same as his scotty. Scottys are just knock offs of ping, how hard would it be to knock off a scotty?

I think the rest of the bag and the ball will be harder to get used to, especially the driver.
Yea, they did a great job with Tiger.

#113 jgpl

jgpl

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44902
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

I am not a snob, don't drink G&T's and don't hit on waitress staff

I am the wrong side of 40 though, and quite conservative, so I don't get the whole Nike thing

BUT I don't hate Nike - they do make good blades and I played a Nike One Black ball for years

Thier ads are, however, stupid and embarrasing

Remember Tiger;s Dad talking to him???

After that I could never take Nike seriously

PS - the biggest a** I ever played with played had a set of MP67's, said he played off 3 and shot 102 gross - he probably just had an off day - I rest my case..................

#114 mikeyun1992

mikeyun1992

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53858
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

Congrats Rory!
Can wait to see your bombs off the tees.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors