Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What can help me prepare for golf over the winter?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BlaineGolf

BlaineGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220749
  • Handicap:4.2
  • Ebay ID:blainegolf
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

I live in Minnesota so there is no chance to golf in the winter. What are some drills or workouts to help me be ready for golf season?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 BlaineGolf

BlaineGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

Is anyone in HS golf and have workouts they do on a regular bases?

#3 Golfer1995

Golfer1995

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133926
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:00 AM

I live in NJ so it's cold but not too cold.  Personally I do a lot of random exercises that I found on google.  I spent about an hour one day googling golf specific exercises.  Found ones that weren't bs and compiled them into one workout.   I also run or go on the elliptical.
Drill wise, it really depends on what you need to work on personally.  For me I'm trying to stop casting the club as much as I do so I take half shots with my feet together focusing on keeping my hinge.

#4 gatorman2k6

gatorman2k6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37667
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

Not sure if you are looking for golf specific drills or just a gym workout to do in the winter? If you are looking for a gym workout, the best thing you can do is improve your overall strength; don't get caught up in all of the "golf specific workouts". You need to focus on compound movements such as squats, cleans, bench, overhead press, deadlifts, pull ups, dips, etc. If you are looking for a specific program, just google "starting strength", "bill starr 5x5", or "5/3/1". All of those are good basic workouts that will get you stronger. Depending on your lifting experience, I'd start out with starting strength.  Hope this helps.

#5 BlaineGolf

BlaineGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Thanks, I'm very skinny so I'm looking for a way to get more power and flexibility for this upcoming season.

#6 LReisinger

LReisinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153907

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:43 PM

I have the same problem here in Iowa! My school has a hitting net so I try to hit twice a week, but other than that I do push ups and sit up each night, I basically just to as many as I can... and GolfSmith posts a lot of fitness stuff, just google "golfsmith workouts" and there'll be a bunch of their different articles

#7 BlaineGolf

BlaineGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

I wish I had a hitting net at my school..... I try to swing the club everyday. What is your favorite workout from golfsmith?

#8 LReisinger

LReisinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153907

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

I do a lot of the at home stuff, I don't have much time to do stuff in our weight room because I'm a basketball manager. I'll hopefully start lifting this week, my school has our own strength and conditioning coach...I'm not sure why we do because we're a small school, but anyway here's the link to the at home stuff that I do: http://golftips.golf...ason-20111.html

#9 BlaineGolf

BlaineGolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

Thanks, I'm also trying to recover from my broken elbow so I can't do everything, but the ones on the website looked good!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors