Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * - 4 votes

My fellow golfers. Please reconsider the adjustable drivers.

112 replies to this topic

#1 cybercats

cybercats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120996
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

I am convinced that adjustable drivers are destined to be the bane of amateur golf.  I warn you.  Don't be taken in by all this adjustable driver mumbo jumbo.  Don't do it!  Ping resisted as long as it could.   I get the feeling Ping knows it's bad for your golf game, but now that they've become all the rage, Ping capitulated.  After all, there's a limit on COR and size now, so what's left to sucker us in?  

Now why are they so bad?  Every time you hit a drive that is less than perfect, you will start questioning the settings.  I saw a solid driver of the golf ball go completely mental when he missed two fairways.  He shot the worst round of his life.  He even took out his little tool at the turn and fiddled with it.  Now how do you think he did on the back nine?  

I urge you, if you're in the market for a new driver, great prices can be had on a Ping G15 or other late model non-adjustable drivers.  Just get fitted for shaft and grip and let er' rip.

However, you gotta hand it to the club manufacturers.  They have all of us golf equipment junkies salivating over these things. And the manufacturers that also sell balls are making a killing on all the extra balls that will be lost with this "game improving" drivers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Boogaloo_Jones

Boogaloo_Jones

bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83989
  • Handicap:17.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1043

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Even though we have the ability to adjust the settings with the newer drivers, I'm pretty sure not many tinker with the settings daily.  I think the draw of the adjustable drivers is it helps golfers fight what their main miss is, whether its a hook or slice, it helps.

#3 tomg1969

tomg1969

Major Winner

• 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37110
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:16 PM

Sounds more like operator failure than the fault of the club to me

#4 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,546 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5054

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

I'm literally the first guy here to crap on OEMs for just about anything. But i don't buy that adjustable drivers are bad. I own a 910FD 13.5 wood that i was more then happy to close the face on. How many times do people say "i like the driver but the open face isn't for me" or vice versa...or if you make a swing change and need to lower or raise the loft now you don't need to buy a new club or even a new shaft.

people who go mental adjusting the settings have only themselves to blame.

my only complaint about adjustability is it's a bit harder on the used market. It's a bit more difficult to just buy the club and swap shafts. You need to buy adapters, have a club guy who can work with them etc...or pay a lot to buy one straight from the OEM.
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 8.5
Cobra Amp Cell w/Fujikura Fuel 13
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#5 Illest

Illest

Geaux Golf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 159351
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Seems iffy to me to actually adjust the loft etc mid-round...just asking for more issues

910D3 9.5* PX 7C3
910F 15* PX 8C4
913H 17* PX HD2/712U 21* DG S300
714 AP2 4i-PW KBS Tour S+
MP-R12 54*/58* DG Spinner
Scotty Select Newport

#6 Hehateme

Hehateme

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 133784
GolfWRX Likes : 3

I play the Ping Anser driver, and have never put a wrench to it!

#7 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2267

I am reconsidering them...(Final Jeopardy theme song).......Nah, I still like them.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#8 duffer987

duffer987

Approach shot on the Alps.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 201269
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 1029

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

So the plea is 'Manufacturers please save us from ourselves'?

Having options are great - especially with easily trying different shafts. If people get carried away with it, they only have themselves to blame for what it does to their swing or their bank account.
Done buying golf clubs. Hurrah!
SLDR 12* | Cleveland Classic XL 15.5*
Titleist 913F 19*
Adams CB3 4-GW w/Steelfibers
Cally Forged 54* | Odyssey #9
http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList

#9 Fourmyle of Ceres

Fourmyle of Ceres

Hall of Fame

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58909
GolfWRX Likes : 1384

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

The new Nike driver covers 8.5-12.5 degrees of loft with "left", "right" and "neutral" ball flight settings. All in one SKU. That is not as much a boon for golfers as a boon for Nike and its retailers. Just think they can cover lefties, righties and a Tour head with just three items in inventory. And since the lefty and righty heads use the same shafts, less than a dozen shaft options cover 99% of retail buyers. That's awesome from a business standpoint.

#10 cybercats

cybercats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

I expect some derision here and welcome all feedback.  If you are a daily visitor to this equipment forum I think that makes you very susceptible to the "adjustable curse"  because you are someone who is always looking for the quick fix.  Anyways, that's where I put myself.  I LOVE golf equipment perhaps more than I love golf.  

How many of you have had a similar experience to my friend I mentioned in my OP?  How many LOVE your adjustable drivers and never tinker with them?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Cwing

Cwing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37012
GolfWRX Likes : 273

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Adjustable drivers are meant to be used to fit the club. They are not the end all. I had a Machspeed sq. once set I never changed it.
G25 10.5* & 12*
G25 15* & k15 16*
G25 20* & K15 23* hybrids
G25 5 - U. DG XP s300
Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
Cleveland 54 Rtx, 60 cg12
WITB Link

#12 tmfool

tmfool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58511
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 185

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

3degrees closed face and weight in heel changing COG - helping more casual golfers, than hurting

guy takes a few lessons - improves his swing - wont have to buy a new driver
just make slight adjustment to face angle
Tour Preferred MB 3-PW Aerotech i110
MB 49* Aerotech i110 & RAC TP 58*
UDI 16* Aerotech i110
Idea Pro 18* GAT 95
SLDR 430 12* - Speeder TS 7.3 TP
Rife Trinidad 38" w/ BW grip

#13 longbal30

longbal30

Major Winner

• 2,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41632
  • Ebay ID:longbal30
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

I usually adjust them open, and never touch the adjustment again. The feature is useless to me.

#14 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

BMW

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 494

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

I think it's funny I keep seeing Taylormade post the settings of their pro's R1 drivers... Most of them are set to Neutral anyways.

The only adjustability I like and think is good for the average golfer is the loft.  I have a low trajectory so being able to take my 910 and bump it up .75*, as with the fairway woods, really helps me get closer to a optimal launch.
XHot 10.5 Diamana S+ 62x5ct X Stiff
Titleist 910F 19*
Titleist 712 AP2 TT S400
Titleist Vokey 200 Series 48*
Titleist Vokey SM 54*/58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - CS

#15 Qegurezi

Qegurezi

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29176
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I've set my R11 DOT as low as it goes and never change it. The only changes are shafts going in and out, again on the low setting.

#16 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

So you think the thought of needing to change a setting trumps all the golfers that are able to essentially give themselves the highest and best level of fitting with an OTR club?  I won't go as far to say as adjustable clubs have totally helped lots of golfers, but they give them a shot for success.

If you're starting to blame the club's setting after a bad shot then you've got a mental issue.  What about if you go buy an open head and hit a slice?  Would you question your purchase?  Or a 10.5 and hit the ball too high?  Would you bang your head against the wall because you should have bought a 9*?

#17 Shaank0

Shaank0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88406
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

View PostFourmyle of Ceres, on 13 January 2013 - 08:20 PM, said:

The new Nike driver covers 8.5-12.5 degrees of loft with "left", "right" and "neutral" ball flight settings. All in one SKU. That is not as much a boon for golfers as a boon for Nike and its retailers. Just think they can cover lefties, righties and a Tour head with just three items in inventory. And since the lefty and righty heads use the same shafts, less than a dozen shaft options cover 99% of retail buyers. That's awesome from a business standpoint.

Im thinking the same thing, its not going away, and everyone else is gonna follow suit with nike's adapter, you literally cover everything with 3 products. thats money in the bank not wasted on extra crap

#18 avguy

avguy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106241
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

My Two drivers are indeed adjustable, but the reason I wanted to play them is purely from self fitting myself into a shorter club, like Wishon and a few others have recommended for the Driver.

Remember the Golden Bear reportedly played a Driver shorter than today's average 3W of 43.5 in.

In both my 910 D2 and Razr Fit, I knew I could easily order pre tipped/gripped shafts already cut down to play these clubs around what I prefer at 43.-5 to 44 in.  And the biggest factor in choosing each club - I could interchange the removable screw headweights on my own to bring back the correct feel (SW) in playing them shorter than stock.   I now have two custom fit drivers for length/ shaft/ grip that I would only replace someday with other drivers that have removable swingweight screws, adjustable hosels, and readily available prepped shafts.

I really don't think about the "other" settings each club offers.  Because I bought the 910 used and it was a 9.5, I needed it changed for 11 deg, but that's it for my tinkerings.

Edited by avguy, 13 January 2013 - 08:44 PM.

Titleist 910 9.5 D2/Cally RF 11
3W: TM RBZ TS/TM R11ti/TEE XCG-V 15
5W/Hybs:TM S2 tour/Miz JPX 800/Ping G10
I:Callaway Rzr MBs/Mizuno MP-69s
W:Cally/Mizzy/Nikes-forged
P:Hamilton F2s, Bag:Benningtons, Eccos

#19 Ri_Redneck

Ri_Redneck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31808
GolfWRX Likes : 188

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View Postlongbal30, on 13 January 2013 - 08:29 PM, said:

I usually adjust them open, and never touch the adjustment again. The feature is useless to me.

Apparently not totally useless, you adjusted it open. I also prefer an open face and have had a hell of a time finding what I like till these drivers came along. I like clubs and have many drivers. Some adjustable and some not. All are fitted and perform similar for me and I rotate them depending on my mood. Don't plan to sell any of them, but I do still want a few more.

If you don't like adjustability, then don't buy it.

BT
Cobra ACP w/ Aldila Prototype 65X
R11 T3/14*, 4/17*, 5/19* w/ GD YS+ 8.1 S
Titleist 695CB 4-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 R
Custom Natural Touch Macasser Ebony
Vokey SM4 52-8 & 58-8 w/ TT Wedge

#20 TMBob

TMBob

Major Winner

• 3,804 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21998
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 193

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

We all welcome members thoughts. Let's get you up to date with PING.

PING has always been more of a leader and then a follower as much as they can. PING was the last company to go to metal woods and were left in the dust by that choice and if you remember correctly those wood woods were quite a bit different.  PING until recently never used ferrules on irons, even though they do not matter. PING has always been unconventional when comparing to the rest of the OEM's. PING was the last major OEM to jump on board with adjustable woods and now look, only the i20 is the non adjustable line left and we all know we will see that change in January 2014.

So your feeling that PING thinks it is bad, my guess is incorrect. By being last aboard, PING is doing what PING does.

Of course, I love adjustable not because of just this, but because it can be done with shafts and weights. Example I dialed a guy in and provided him different feedback with his driver in less then 30 minutes yesterday. I also enlightened him on what I was doing and why. He was a person who paid money to get fitted and left the driver the way they told him to play it. To me, that TMPC fitter did not go he extra mile in his fitting which I did in less that 30 minutes....Gotta love adjustability.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 deck

deck

Off The Deck

• 3,605 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123347
  • Handicap:8.7
  • Ebay ID:deck607
GolfWRX Likes : 925

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Love the fact that you can switch shafts at demand now. That's my biggest draw to them.
BB Alpha Tour ATX Green S 65
Big Bertha 15 Fubuki Z
X2Hot 22 ATX Green S
Apex 5-7, Apex Pro's 8-P C-tapers S
Mackdaddy 2's 52 and 58 C-Tapers R
Jailbird 34'

#22 birdiedoublebogey

birdiedoublebogey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 219845
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Ive owned many adjustable drivers - Ive never played them on anything but neutral!

And swapping shafts is the big attraction for me.

#23 cybercats

cybercats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:22 PM

Am I the only one who's played with someone who started tinkering with his adjustments mid-round, or at least talked about needing to adjust something?  I doubt it.  I'm not doubting that many of you better players (probably all that't on here) benefit somewhat from these new drivers.  But I'm telling you, for the rest of us (yes, me included) it will be detrimental.  The weekend hacker is just looking for every excuse to not have to go take a lesson.

Someone who said "if you don't like it, don't buy it" ,  well, I don't and I won't.  But furthermore, it pains me to have to listen to my partner talk about how he needs to close the face 1 degree more or he's got the wrong shaft in it for the windy conditions.  Seriously, am I the only one who's had to endure this new phenomenon?

#24 puttingmatt

puttingmatt

puttingmatt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50753
  • Ebay ID:puttingmatt
GolfWRX Likes : 197

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

Adjustability is your friend !!!  Allows for a more personalized fit !!!
Love the Titleist 910, and my forged irons. All can be adjusted if needed !!!
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta Driver
Tour Edge Exotics CB5 3  Wood
TEE XCG6 19* & 24*  Hybrids
Callawy Apex pro  5 thru PW  Irons
Odyssey Metal X Milled Versa 9 HT Putter
Vokey SM5 50*and 56* degree Wedge

#25 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,750 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2267

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

You had to "endure" it? it "pains" you?  Really? What was so painful about that?

I simply do not see how your chop buddy's indecisiveness concerning the setting on his driver it is an indictment of the equipment. This is one guy tinkering with his setting (when he shouldn't be) and is evidence of nothing. And as far as the ability to change out shafts for different wind conditions, that's perfectly legit I don't get the criticism of that at all.

RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#26 Coheed

Coheed

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123420
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Sorry but I don't agree with the OP.

Where as I can bend the loft and lie fairly easily on my irons, which are built as 'standard' or to fit 80-85% of the golfers out there; I am not 'standard'. And I shouldn't be expected to tailor my swing to 'standard' clubs either.

I know changing lie angles on drivers and fairways is possible, this is usually done by an experienced club builder and/or OEM. But for a majority of golfers out there, this isn't an option. The fact that I can now EASILY change the lie and loft angles to tailor my swing and/or preferences is a huge advantage. Tinker, set it and leave it. It also makes getting fit for a driver/fairway a lot easier.

My 2 cents

#27 tomg1969

tomg1969

Major Winner

• 1,868 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37110
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

If somebody is going to blame equipment for a bad shot (we've all probably done it at least once...hahaha) if not adjustability they will find something else to blame. Shaft too stiff, shaft too soft, too much spin, too little spin, hits too high, hits too low, slices, hooks etc.

The list of equipment related excuses that a golfer has at his or her disposal is endless....

#28 Mitchell

Mitchell

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2251
GolfWRX Likes : 1021

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:43 PM

I have personally always been a player that picked up a club, put it in the address position and could tell if I liked the look or not and by extension, if it would work for me or not. Over the years, have tried many shafts and through trial and error, found which profiles fit my swing and preferences for feel and stayed in those general guidelines. If an adjustable club allows a player to do this in less time and expense, then I am all for adjustability. Personally, I feel that  adjustments should be more to fine-tune a ball flight for a reasonably repeating swing and not as a crutch or band-aid for a flawed motion.
R510tp 10.5* VTS silver 7sx
TEE CB2 16.5*V2 fwy 95
3-pw Titleist 962b w/ s400
Vokey TVD 56m w/ s400
Odyssey Protype 6 w/ Iomic midsize

#29 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,345 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1968

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:44 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 13 January 2013 - 09:30 PM, said:

You had to "endure" it? it "pains" you?  Really? What was so painful about that?

I simply do not see how your chop buddy's indecisiveness concerning the setting on his driver it is an indictment of the equipment. This is one guy tinkering with his setting (when he shouldn't be) and is evidence of nothing. And as far as the ability to change out shafts for different wind conditions, that's perfectly legit I don't get the criticism of that at all.

I believe I can be of assistance with the pain issue.

I've taken to hiding in the shadows at various driving ranges observing the patrons. When I see people pulling out the wrench to adjust their drivers I run out of the shadows, kick the adjuster in the nuts, steal the wrench and run off.

So you see how painful it can be.

#30 cybercats

cybercats

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

It's PAINFUL when I want to say, "dude, it may not be the driver adjustment, it may be that you took the club back 40 degrees past parallel with both arms flailing like rubber bands!  Adjust your thinking and get a lesson."

However, I've learned that people really don't want a lesson on the golf course, especially from me when I have my own set of hang-ups.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors