Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

American golfers habits/ Golf technologies

technology technonlogies american golfer tool rangefinder smartphone weather golf

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 rdt

rdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220643
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:23 PM

Hello everyone,
I am a french student engineering school. I love golf and as I am going to the US in few months I would like to know american habits about weather (something that really disturbs me when I am playing). That is why I thought about a tool using a smartphone and I would like to know your opinion about this idea. Could you take less than 2 min to check my survey? That would really interest me to see your opinion!
https://docs.google....xSWFiYmFOM2c6MQ

Thank you for your help!! I really appreciate

Rdt

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 TNReb

TNReb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 206233
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

It seems like you are interested in developing a weather related tool for the smartphone to be used during a round.  This is not allowed under USGA rules.  It would be useless in the United States.

#3 rdt

rdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:50 AM

So was the rangefinder when it was created. Moreover, people could use it when practicing, don't you think?

#4 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:10 AM

I applaud your interest in new technologies for golf. And certainly an educational environment allows you to not worry about things like the rules of golf since you are likely working an a theoretical basis.

I think the difficulty you will find is that weather reports are very general - certainly they are useful when choosing attire, whether or not to bring an umbrella, and for general wind tendencies. But that information is very easily available on most smartphones.

To really affect a golfer's round, you need to predict the weather down to a tiny 5 second span of time while the ball is in the air. Mainly to know the wind speed and direction. It will be a difficult challenge to create a device with that level of accuracy.

Of course, as you say, 20 years ago I would never have imagined I could hold a laser in my hand, point it at a stick 150 across a field and get a fairly accurate measure of distance. Best of luck with your project!

#5 Greyboy

Greyboy

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87688
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

Filled out the survey, good luck with whatever youre trying to build

#6 rdt

rdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

Thank you for your answers!

I know meteorology is not an easy factor to take into account. Here is the challenge! Of course we cannot foresee where the ball will exactly land but we want to help the player as well as possible. For the moment, it is just a project. If our first device works quite well, we will try see if we can take it on the market. And I'm very motivated to build it!

#7 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

View Postrdt, on 14 January 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

I know meteorology is not an easy factor to take into account. Here is the challenge! Of course we cannot foresee where the ball will exactly land but we want to help the player as well as possible. For the moment, it is just a project. If our first device works quite well, we will try see if we can take it on the market. And I'm very motivated to build it!

Not really a good idea. Firstly, most smartphones have some sort of weather app on them anyway and a gps/course map for use. Secondly, using it would breach the rules of golf. Thirdly, if you think a meteorology app will help your find a golf ball in real time, I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. And lastly, most golfers have the intelligence to look into the sky and tell what the weather is doing and potentially how it will affect the ball. Hence it's not really a good idea.
But good luck with your future.

#8 Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69095
GolfWRX Likes : 163

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

View Postjaskanski, on 14 January 2013 - 01:33 PM, said:

View Postrdt, on 14 January 2013 - 01:01 PM, said:

Not really a good idea. Firstly, most smartphones have some sort of weather app on them anyway and a gps/course map for use. Secondly, using it would breach the rules of golf. Thirdly, if you think a meteorology app will help your find a golf ball in real time, I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. And lastly, most golfers have the intelligence to look into the sky and tell what the weather is doing and potentially how it will affect the ball. Hence it's not really a good idea.
But good luck with your future.

Wow, ouch. C'mon, it's a kid doing a school project.

I would think most golfers would have the intelligence to look at a flagstick, check the course markers and tell how far their shot needs to travel. Yet rangefinders are quite popular.

Sure, it's probably impossible to do, but knowing the exact effect of weather on my shot could help me be more accurate.

Of course, predicting the likelihood of rain on someone's parade is much easier.

#9 rdt

rdt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Wow you're hard. Well I do think it's possible as researchers I'll work with are quite pleased about it! Hope you're not totally right..
Thanks for you outspokenness.

#10 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 716

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

Thank you. I hope you prove me completely wrong with your innovation. Bonne chance!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

Also tagged with technology, technonlogies, american, golfer, tool, rangefinder, smartphone, weather, golf

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors