Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Random question about fakes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NickPhillips

NickPhillips

Army Golfer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205173
  • Ebay ID:Infantryrecruiter
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:52 AM

I have a random question about fakes for those who have had/seen them. I believe I have never had a fake, and hopefully never do. I have seen a lot of comments about how to spot fakes and it is getting harder and harder because the fakes are getting better and better. Has anyone actually hit any of these 'fake' clubs? Did they perform horrible or did they perform nearly like the original? I was just thinking, what if I had a fake and never even knew it? Currently, I am happy with my clubs now, so would I even change it if I found out a club was fake? I don't know, would you?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 bruinsPATSirish

bruinsPATSirish

Golf is hard.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,706 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205445
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1368

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:59 AM

Only fakes I have come across were some 712 AP2s my buddy bought off eBay.  I had 710 AP2s at the time and honestly, if I didn't know they were fake they would have fooled me performance wise.  Felt great and sounded good.  The Titleist badging was terribly offset like someone double stamped it and then the sole numbers and the serial number were bad.
Taylormade SLDR 12*
PING i20 3 wood/Taylormade VSteel 5 wood
Taylormade TP CB 4-6 MB 7-PW
Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Scotty Cameron California Coronado
InsideTMAG Trip 2013

#3 MP4orged

MP4orged

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116259
GolfWRX Likes : 64

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

i was at the range once and this older gentleman in the stall behind me was ripping off these big slices one after the other. to my surprise he asked me to hit a ball with his driver, i politely said "no, i don't like to hit other peoples clubs" he replied back "don't worry its a knockoff R11, i don't care what happens to it" i was kinda surprised by his answer since i was watching him swing out of the corner of my eye, and it was scary how real it looked. so i hit a few balls, wrong flex, wrong loft for me but the club felt ok but more "hollow" then the real club...felt lighter at impact but not lighter in swing weight or feel, if that makes sense? anyways i hit like 4 balls all high and straight, and he just wanted to see if the cause of his slice was the indian or arrow lol....he told me he payed $150 for it knowing it was a fake.

#4 Graymulligan

Graymulligan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215421
  • Handicap:7ish
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:48 AM

Watch her toes.  If they aren't curling, it's a fake.  :)

Typically the metal used in a lot of the fakes isn't what it's supposed to be, (i.e. not titanium, Stainless, etc) or isn't of the grade it should be.  Manufacturing isn't as good, more likely to break, etc.
Blue Biocell, Aldila NV
Jetspeed 3 wood
Mizzy JPX800 pros, x100 shafts
Mizzy JPX 54/58
Futura X

#5 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 657

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

Clicked on this thread because I thought we were discussing "augmentation".

#6 Tenkies

Tenkies

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128211
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 14 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Early on before I knew about all these fakes, I got scammed into a fake Cally Fti 4 hybrid on ebay.  The fake would hit fine, but it would ring/sound like a hollow aluminum bat.  My buddies and started calling it the ringer.  The fake looked spot on to the real deal down to the shaft and grip.  The only thing the club was missing was Cally QR laser etched code on the club head (which I found out later).

#7 tjumper78

tjumper78

Fore

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 123314
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 91

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

my friend bought a set of fake ap2 irons.  he wouldnt have known if i didnt tell him they were fakes.
performance-wise, they were actually excellent.
better than my friend's callaway forged irons  (i forget what model) in distance and feel.
sldr 10.5*
tee xcg-v 16.5*
tm rescue mid 19* & 22*
srixon i-506 5~pw
srixon wg-504 52* & 58*
odyssey white ice #9

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors