Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Building a Custom Byron GSS DH89 --- pictorial journey --- help me make decisions!

Byron DH89 GSS

• Please log in to reply
170 replies to this topic

#1 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70369
  • Ebay ID:goswo
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Ok - I'm so excited I can't wait to share the journey I started to take today!

Background --- Bryon's DH89 is closest related in Scotty Cameron terms to the venerable 009 (read Pure745's thorough comparison thread for more details)

Please don't ask me about price - pricing is available through Byron putters website and it's completely unfair (to HIM!).  He really should be charging more for what he puts into these amazing putters and all the custom work to the exact specs of each customer.  Try even finding Scotty Cameron's Email address, let alone getting him to answer.  Byron not only answered my Email, but he reached out to me upon my order request.  We talked several times on the phone, and today I swung by the shop to discuss the upcoming project.  I am still amazed that I'll be getting a totally custom German Stainless Steel putter for roughly 1/10 the cost of an equivalent Cameron tour putter whose customization was to someone else's spec.

A little about me - I game lots of putters including my most recent acquisitions
  • NP2 SSS 340g tri-sole Circle T with site dot
  • T.P. Mills handmade one welded neck oil can finish
I play my putters at 35" and 340g.  I prefer a solid feel upon impact so no sound (beach) slot for me.  I also like well milled faces to help create a soft feel upon impact.  I love stainless heads, but also like carbon steel (although they are more work to keep from rusting).  I don't like leather grips, but love leather headcovers especially the black gator magnetic one I just picked up :)  I like my putters loft at 4* and lie standard 71*.  I like a naked sole and hand stamping to show the mushrooming around the lettering.  I like paintfills of all kinds (solid, translucent, etc.), but stick to basic colors.  I am a graduate of the US Naval Academy so I like blue and gold a lot, but don't have them all done that way (e.g. Tour Cameron is original all red paintfill).  I like shaft labels, but don't like when they peal as it looks shabby.  I like a nice sticky grip (cord or no cord), but not ion charged as they attrack dust/dirt, which is a pain in the neck when I play.

Ok, on to the GSS DH89 project.

A few days ago, while on the East Coast on business, I filled out the form on Byron's putter website with everything I wanted, but left the stamping, etc blank with just an explanation that I'd come in person to make sure everything was well understood.  Plus, I wanted to know how things would look before they were done - the old measure twice, cut once adage.

Anyway, I got a call from Byron and we talked about the project.

This morning I paid him through PayPal even though I knew he wouldn't have any GSS heads until Monday.  I arranged to meet him this morning to discuss some rough ideas on what I like in milling, mill chatter, finish, and some other details.  I went to his shop and it's all business.  Don't expect to sip a latte while sitting in plush leather sets while stairing through a thick glass window at all the technicians in lab coats working on putters.  This is very much a small custom shop where work is done.  Byron has 15-20 putters or so in various stages on completion.  Every head shape, finish you can imagine fitted and loose around the workbench.  He has CNC milled blanks (two heads still attached in blocks of steel waiting to be separated and shaped).  There is no cheaping out.  I saw three bars of German Stainless Steel laying on the floor next to his saw.  These bars were 12 feet long (or so) and roughly 3 inches thick by 5 inches wide.  Trust me, there was no picking them up!

Byron stopped everything he was doing and gave me the 10 mins tour and then we talked about my putter.  He said he'd have the head Monday and we made an appointment to meet to complete this masterpiece on Tuesday at 10am.  I had to wait until Tuesday so he had a chance to get the welded site dot done by a shop he uses on Monday after the GSS DH89 heads were done.  Each head takes 10-15 minutes to finish the final of three runs through a CNC milling machine (also a separate shop contracted to cut his blanks).

I'll take pics of Byron on Tuesday and post with my "progress" shots of my putter as it goes through the various stages to completion.

I will post each step along the way so you can follow along on this journey with me.  :)

I just sent these concept drawings to Byron.  Started by downloading the heads from Byron's website and putting in Powerpoint, and then adding the things I want stamped on the face, cavity, bumpers, neck and even toes.  Here are the three concepts I have so far.

Please tell me which you prefer.  I'm leaning either toward #1 or #3 as they are a bit cleaner and less trendy, but I'll listen to what you have to say.

CONCEPT 1

CONCEPT 2

CONCEPT3

Thank you for coming along for what promises to be educational and exciting!

Edited by Titleist-Golfer, 11 January 2013 - 11:05 PM.

Titleist 913D3 8.5* Fuel proto 65X Titleist 913Fd 15* Fuel 70X Titleist 712U 2 DG S-300 Crazy ltd MB 3-PW DG Pro S-300 Vokey Forged 52* & TVD BV 58* DGTI Newport TeI3 sole stamp WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 KDMullins

KDMullins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Well, you made a great choice in materials and putter makers, and I like all 3 versions.  That said, I've done a few customs in my day, and here's my advice...take it or leave it.

(a) Less is more.  While I like your heel design, and you can't go wrong with the BYRON MORGAN Cross you have on the toe, I'd go one or the other.

(b)  On the back, I wouldn't stamp neck, cavity and both bumpers.  Just alot going on there IMO.

©  I prefer the cavity with the DH 89 inside the diamond.  

(d)  I would not get my name, initials or any other identifying mark stamped anywhere.  I know you think this is your custom, you'll never get rid of it, etc.  That's nonsense.  Before you ever get this one, you'll be thinking about your next one, and if you ever want to sell it, a putter with somebody else's name on it is worth about 1/2 as much as the same putter without the name/initials.

#3 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118668
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Very nice!  Out of the 3, I vote #1.  Cleaner like you said, and doesn't seem to throwing GSS in your face as much as #3.  They will all look good, although if you're the type of guy who likes to buy and sell, you'll be hard pressed to get what that beauty will be worth with your name on it like that.

#4 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118668
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

I agree with everything KDMullins said.  Very well put!

On a side note, I had a gss bombora with a handmilled face.  Amazingly soft yet solid feel!

#5 bgthunder

bgthunder

Big Gulps Huh?

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 186 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168611
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Thank you for sharing! Gotta make sure I've got some popcorn ready for Tuesday. I really like #3. I too agree however that I would not get my name or initials on this putter.

TaylorMade R9 SuperTri - House Of Forged
TaylorMade RBZ 3W - GD AD/DI 6S
TaylorMade Burner Rescue - Aldila NV
TaylorMade R9 TP 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 120
Titleist Vokey TVD 54/58 - Project X
Bettinardi BB34 Tour DASS - RJB4102

#6 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 821
GolfWRX Likes : 252

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Very Cool!
Having the order made for you is what I love. A real Custom Shop with a talented maker that's been at it a long time. When your stick is done try to sink some putts in the putting room. The two longer holes have a really tricky break. They break at the last second towards Coyote Field across the street.

Is this the chunk of metal you saw?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#7 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• 1,720 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

I hear ya - I like the face with both, but the back might look better like this:

Also, here are my ideas for shape, texture, and specs for the head (before stamping):

Titleist 913D3 8.5* Fuel proto 65X Titleist 913Fd 15* Fuel 70X Titleist 712U 2 DG S-300 Crazy ltd MB 3-PW DG Pro S-300 Vokey Forged 52* & TVD BV 58* DGTI Newport TeI3 sole stamp WITB Link

#8 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• 1,720 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

View Postfinalist, on 11 January 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

Very Cool!
Having the order made for you is what I love. A real Custom Shop with a talented maker that's been at it a long time. When your stick is done try to sink some putts in the putting room. The two longer holes have a really tricky break. They break at the last second towards Coyote Field across the street.

Is this the chunk of metal you saw?
Attachment IMG_5558.jpg

Exactly - he has a few of them now ... some in SS as well.

#9 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• 1,720 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:36 PM

So no on the skull & crossbones idea.  That's what I thought.  Thanks for reinforcing :)

#10 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,614 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 830

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

My only advice is on Tuesday please be brief as I am waiting on Byron to get my DH89 finished. Hopefully it was one of the putters "in various stages of completion" and closer to the completion than the various stage.

I went with 303 SS and very minimal stampings.  I told Byron I wanted my old football number somewhere, #36, wherever he felt best, and then he could stamp whatever he wanted where ever he wanted.  I think it will come back fairly plain with my number and Byron's name and that is it if I had to guess but that will be part of the surprise. I do not plan on selling mine but I didn't want to put my name on it just in case.  I did specify Royal Blue paint fill and only one color.  

I was given an estimate of three weeks when I ordered and it has been about three weeks but that included the holidays etc so I am not sure when mine will be done.  Hopefully soon.  I will throw some pics up when it arrives.

Ping i25 9.5 PWR 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Titleist Lightweight, Tour 330B, Ecco
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Scotty1140

Scotty1140

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132137
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

Overall I like the design. The DH89 is a fantastic putter. I'd also pass on the skull & crossbones. #1 or #3 would get my vote. Preferably #1 because the pocket highlights DH89 rather than GSS which is mainly associated with Scotty Cameron.

Personally, I've never been a huge fan of people's names on a putter. Would you consider removing your name from the bumpers and moving down the 340g & GSS in place of them? That might makes things look a bit less busy.

#12 Titleist-Golfer

Titleist-Golfer

Go Navy! Beat Army!

• 1,720 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

View PostScotty1140, on 11 January 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

Overall I like the design. The DH89 is a fantastic putter. I'd also pass on the skull & crossbones. #1 or #3 would get my vote. Preferably #1 because the pocket highlights DH89 rather than GSS which is mainly associated with Scotty Cameron.

Personally, I've never been a huge fan of people's names on a putter. Would you consider removing your name from the bumpers and moving down the 340g & GSS in place of them? That might makes things look a bit less busy.

Good idea - check post #7 above to see how that looks :)

#13 Scotty1140

Scotty1140

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132137
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

View PostTitleist-Golfer, on 11 January 2013 - 08:50 PM, said:

View PostScotty1140, on 11 January 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:

Good idea - check post #7 above to see how that looks :)
Ha how did I miss that??

#14 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• 7,063 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
GolfWRX Likes : 1423

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

#7 looks good.  Less is more.

#15 J.W.

J.W.

Made For or Real Deal?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,979 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32437
GolfWRX Likes : 1520

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:32 PM

I agree with the less is more and also going without your name.  I've ordered many custom putters and always regretted the ones I put my name on.  I love the DH89 inside the diamond in the cavity and also think it would look better with only one on the face.  I would pick the one on the heel and like your circle milled out.  I think 340G on the extreme toe would be really cool but leave the toe of the face stamp free.  I wouldn't stamp on the neck either but that's just me... the welded site dot on top isn't my cup of tea either but no matter what that thing is gonna look great.

Please update pics when you can.

Edited by J.W., 11 January 2013 - 09:33 PM.

#16 Pure745

Pure745

Hall of Fame

• 5,814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35341
  • Handicap:Vnty
GolfWRX Likes : 1481

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

Mark!

You've gone off the deep end my man!  Great call in going with Byron, you have to have at least one sick Byron in your stable at all times.  My favorite mock up is the Diamond DH89 w/ GSS 340G on the bumpers.

It seems like you really want the skull stamp so I would get that skull stamped in the cherry bomb on the face.  Translucent yellow pops pretty good on the Blue Oil finish you're going with.  I would do white/yellow on the rest of the stamping to match that trans yellow if you go with it.

It seems like you're really particular about the shape, I would have him shape it in front of you for the majority of the parts you care about.  The deep Tuna Milled face should feel really good on that putter.. you'll be pretty happy with the end result.  Keep me posted!
SLDR 460 9.5˚ - Aldila Rogue 70TX
X2HP 15˚ - DI-8X
Titleist 712U 2-3 - DG Tour X100
Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-9 - DG Tour X100
Vokey SM5 47˚, TVD 54M & 60M
Scotty Cameron 009, Nike Rory Prototype
WITB Link

#17 pcirelli

pcirelli

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65717
  • Ebay ID:pcirelli
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:02 PM

Personally, I'm a sucka for the Skull & Cross Bones.
-Pete

Attached Thumbnails

• 89LN mixed metals 005.JPG
  • 89LN mixed metals 003.JPG

#18 Black Label Johnny

Black Label Johnny

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51722
  • Ebay ID:modfather7905
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Option 2!

I'm also a sucker

Posted Image

#19 lightningbolt444

lightningbolt444

Major Winner

• 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36801
  • Ebay ID:lightning-JHR
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

My personal preference is the Diamond DH89 w/ GSS 340G. Now one thing I would really change is Handmade GSS on the face. What  I would replace it with would be Handmilled GSS and I would get the hand milled tuna face. Here is a pic on a 711. I really dont think you can beat the handmilled face

milling 2.jpg
milling1.jpg
milling3.jpg

Edited by lightningbolt444, 11 January 2013 - 11:12 PM.

#20 lightningbolt444

lightningbolt444

Major Winner

• 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

Here is the hand milling on the surf city 006 putter. Also I know Byron offers the tuna milling on many of his putters now which is still a great milling but the handmilld face is so unique looking and provides such a great feel

006 Long Pipe Surf City face (1)gif.gif

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

Good point from Lightning. It's not a "handmade" unless Byron starts with a solid block of steel and cuts each angle on the Bridgeport mill (the by his oven :) ) by hand.

However it is very much hand finished by Byron. He designed the head, the CAD file is sent to the CNC, etc.

Personally I like my name on my putters. It's something that makes them very personal, unique and adds to your Byron experience. This is something way better than a generic COA number on file. It's yours!  BUT I do completely agree about the resale comments. No name = more resale money.

As far as stamping I'd use something other than GSS. Just makes me think Cameron -- this is a fuller experience. Maybe stamp the word GERMAN (would fit nicely in the diamond) or the German cross stamp?
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#22 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View Postpcirelli, on 11 January 2013 - 10:02 PM, said:

Personally, I'm a sucka for the Skull & Cross Bones.
-Pete

Love that mixed metal LN. How's that putter not in the BD gallery yet!?!
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#23 KDMullins

KDMullins

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,894 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17765
  • Ebay ID:uklawdawg
GolfWRX Likes : 167

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

View PostTitleist-Golfer, on 11 January 2013 - 08:34 PM, said:

I hear ya - I like the face with both, but the back might look better like this:

Attachment Concept 5 back.png

Also, here are my ideas for shape, texture, and specs for the head (before stamping):

Attachment Face specs and shape (new).png

Attachment Back specs and shape.png

Yes, I much prefer this one.

#24 lightningbolt444

lightningbolt444

Major Winner

• 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

View Postfinalist, on 11 January 2013 - 10:49 PM, said:

Good point from Lightning. It's not a "handmade" unless Byron starts with a solid block of steel and cuts each angle on the Bridgeport mill (the by his oven :) ) by hand.

However it is very much hand finished by Byron. He designed the head, the CAD file is sent to the CNC, etc.

Personally I like my name on my putters. It's something that makes them very personal, unique and adds to your Byron experience. This is something way better than a generic COA number on file. It's yours!  BUT I do completely agree about the resale comments. No name = more resale money.

As far as stamping I'd use something other than GSS. Just makes me think Cameron -- this is a fuller experience. Maybe stamp the word GERMAN (would fit nicely in the diamond) or the German cross stamp?

Ryan

Do you still have the pictures of all the stamps? May help here I for one have forgotten what Byron has besides the Lightningbolt ;).

#25 newportbeach

newportbeach

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481
  • Ebay ID:spyglass
GolfWRX Likes : 63

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

Those are some great ideas.  Enjoy the process.

#26 scratchswinger

scratchswinger

Hall of Fame

• 9,269 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37417
GolfWRX Likes : 2357

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:16 PM

Great thread! Makes me want to get one.

#27 finalist

finalist

MASHED POTATO!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,836 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:26 PM

Ron,
There's a pic of Byron's stamps on his  byronputters.com order page.
http://035f25a.netso.../stamps-005.jpg

Did you originally have the bolt stamp made?
Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
WITB Link

#28 lightningbolt444

lightningbolt444

Major Winner

• 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

View Postfinalist, on 11 January 2013 - 11:26 PM, said:

Ron,
There's a pic of Byron's stamps on his  byronputters.com order page.
http://035f25a.netso.../stamps-005.jpg

Did you originally have the bolt stamp made?

I did not I have however gotten it on all the putters I have ordered. There is another stamp I would like made I just have not gotten around to doing it yet. Maybe for my next putter.

#29 jmac13

jmac13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55800
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:10 AM

Congratulations! You really can't go wrong with Byron, but I would agree with the others about not stamping it handmade. Here are a few pics of a few true handmades by Byron. Check out the mill chatter on this one.

Attached Thumbnails

• 379660045.321822.jpg
  • 379660076.024517.jpg
  • 379660126.974625.jpg
  • 379660155.068437.jpg

#30 lightningbolt444

lightningbolt444

Major Winner

• 1,393 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:13 AM

View PostTitleist-Golfer, on 12 January 2013 - 12:06 AM, said:

After thinking through all the comments above and thinking how hard it would be to stamp small letters into deep milling, I think I have come up with a better alternative (or two) below.  Notice different finish to be more durable as well as showcase both yellow and Navy blue.

CONCEPT 6

CONCEPT 7

Cant see them.

I am excited to see what you came up with

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors