Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Need a little help with downswing/impact position

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 castellar

castellar

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 182008
  • Ebay ID:castellar27
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

I never really looked at my golf swing before, I just kind of go by how I'm hitting the ball and how it feels day to day.  Well the other day got into the 40's so I headed out to the range and decided to try my hand at shooting a swing video.  I don't consider myself a good golfer but I get by (mostly on course management).  I play with all bogey golfers at best, probably 17 to 30 caps.  I play to just over an 8 handicap, again not bc I'm a much better golfer, just a bit smarter in certain situations.   Here's my 5 iron swing, the angle is a bit off (I think) but it will do.
I was intentionally hitting slight push draws here.  I dont think my swing looks too bad but I notice that at the beginning of my downswing I fire towards the target very early which almost instantly shifts my weight to the left and my back heel comes off the ground.  I also notice that I become almost completely upright by impact.  Would this be a reason for inconsistent iron play? It seems that all great iron players do the opposite.  They are almost hunched at impact with feet firmly planted.  Any drills you'd recommend?  Any other thoughts? Any help would be appreciated.  

If the video isn't enough I will upload more sunday.  Just let me know what kind of video would be best ( ie: different club, different angle)

impact.JPG
this is a still of the impact position I'm talking about.

Cobra AMP Cell Pro Fuji Fuel tour spec
RBZ Stage 2 tour 3 wood
Jetspeed hl 21* 5 wood
Cb2 4-GW KBS tour
Odyssey Black Tour #9
CG 15 54*, RTX 60*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Tiger's # 1

Tiger's # 1

jkoster

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 221765
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

As I take a look at your swing I see one problem that I think is causing you to stand up through impact.  When you first take the club back notice how far inside your club goes.  Its well inside your hands.  From this position you stand up through impact to give your arms the space they need to swing down and hit the ball.  I think if you work on taking the club outside on your take away that will then allow you to have the space you need for your arms to come down without having to stand up through the shot.  It will probably take a little practice as this stand up move you make is something that is probably pretty natural to you but work on keeping the club outside your hands on the takeaway and i promise your ball striking will improve and you will better compress the ball.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Tiger's # 1, 15 January 2013 - 02:25 PM.

#3 castellar

castellar

• 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

Ok so just a little update for anyone who may be battling the same thing and cant figure it out....

After some research and help from a pga pro friend of mine (cant call them lessons bc he's a close friend and wont let me pay him), we figured out that I suffer from early extension (of the hips).  Basically, if you draw a line down my butt line you'll see that my hips thrust in rather than squat down at the beginning of the downswing.  This is what I have been working on at home and its really been helping:

At the range I've been hitting some 54* shots with my bag up against my butt and just trying to focus on keeping my rear against the bag.  I will update this with progress in some time...

Edited by castellar, 01 February 2013 - 01:33 PM.

RBZ Stage 2 tour 3 wood
Jetspeed hl 21* 5 wood
Cb2 4-GW KBS tour
Odyssey Black Tour #9
CG 15 54*, RTX 60*

#4 castellar

castellar

• 122 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

So went to the range today (bad idea: 22 degrees F today with gusts above 30 mph).  Here is a comparison shot of the old impact position from above vs impact during my drill today

Beforeold impact.jpg afteriron impact drill.JPG

Hands got numb after about 50 balls so maybe in a week it will creep back into the 40's and I'll update a video.  This position definitely feels better to say the least.  Feels smoother and not so forced.  Its funny I've come all this way from shooting in the 100's,90's,80's and a couple 70's without knowing this flaw.  Looking forward to getting this impact position corrected and hopefully my ballstriking will improve.
RBZ Stage 2 tour 3 wood
Jetspeed hl 21* 5 wood
Cb2 4-GW KBS tour
Odyssey Black Tour #9
CG 15 54*, RTX 60*

#5 Monday

Monday

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116680
  • Ebay ID:its_branden
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:25 AM

Nice work. Looks like a much better position at impact.

#6 Papa Johick

Papa Johick

Where are the birdies!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 205685
  • Ebay ID:Papajohick
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:34 PM

Holy crap this is great!!! First let me say good job looks like you're on your way to great contact. second, thanks for posting this, I think doing this drill is going to help me as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors