Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Price of golf lessons.

36 replies to this topic

#31 Jamboy72

Jamboy72

Powered by the old school

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,582 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51683
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 1552

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

View PostTucsonGolfer, on 15 January 2013 - 02:33 PM, said:

I am fortunate because I am an assistant golf professional and since we do not have the ability to give lessons at my facility ( Because we have a Brand New Jim Mclean Golf School ) I have become friends with both the instructors on site, and they have helped me out when I have asked because I have booked them thousands of dollars in golf lessons.  From December 22nd to December 31st of this past year, I think myself our other assistant and our retail manager  booked just shy of $10k in gift certificates for lessons, multi-day golf schools, clinics, etc. I have never heard a complaint since being there about their lessons. Every single one of them claimed to have gotten better, hit the ball better than they ever have, or know they are working towards a better golf game even if they had to move 1 step back to move 5 forward.  There is no question that golf is expensive, and so is getting great instruction. However, we have to view it as an investment into our golf game rather than a cost. Wouldn't you like to play 10 shots better at that fabulous course that you go to once a year with your buddies? Or be miserable and loose a dozen golf balls because you skimped on instruction with a guy who charges the cheapest rate.

As a side note, a friend of mine did an experiment with 5 of his students. They were all brand new and he offered them all 1 free 30 minute lesson. Afterwards he just asked they fill a quick survey and one question was would you like to book another lesson with me in the future.  All 5 said yes. The continuing lessons the students understood that they would have to pay for the lessons, but were not told a price and they would negotiate later. When the 5 of them came back ( all within 2 weeks of the free one ) he had given the lesson, and then said to them, alright so in terms of payment, i only want you to give me what you believe is fair. Pay me what you think my time was worth, and the value we have put into your golf game. Some of them were so taken back by this they had no clue where to start. He said thats okay, do what you think, and we can keep on going if you would like to keep working together.
Out of the 5, 3 of them gave him over $100 for a 1 hour lesson.  the other 2 gave him $50.
About 2 weeks later, he had booked them all again, same story, except now these students were getting excited, and were telling him what they were working on, and where they were struggling. So by their direction, he helped them in the areas where they expressed their most disappointment. Putting lessons, bunker play, long irons etc.
This time around, all 5 students gave over $100 for that one hour, while 2 students gave him a raise to 150.
A couple weeks later all 5 were back again, and 3 of them were planning on playing in the club championship. They were really excited and wanted to make sure their games were going to be sharp for the 3 day event. Two of these guys wanted to spend multiple hours with him and they spent a couple hours on the range, putting chipping etc. Then took them one at a time out on the course for 9 holes each. After these two gentlemen finished they had both given him $500 each. The 3rd was also spending a couple hours with him and gave him another $200. The other 2 that were taking more lessons for 1 hour gave him another $100 each.

A week after the club championship, he had a phone call with one of his students who won the club championship, and the other won his flight. The Third came in 5rd and all had shot their best consecutive rounds ever. The 2 that won their flights gave him a present in his office. When he got there, he found a check for $2,500 from one, the second left him a gift card for $300 to Ruth Chris steak house and a nice letter, and the other asked him a question. He said, I will give you $5,000 or, I will buy you a launch monitor that you have  been speaking of. This was a TrackMan. He phoned back all of these men and greatly appreciated their gestures. He asked the man who mentioned the launch monitor if he was serious, and asked him if he knew what it actually cost, being a big difference from $5000 to just shy of $20,000. He told him it is not a matter of money, he would pay whatever sum because my friend had given him something that he never experienced in 25 years of golfing. A win, a trophy, a single digit handicap, and a completely new love for the game. Needless to say, My friend got a trackman and a 5 day full paid vacation cruise with his girlfriend  by this guy. The others all see him regularly to this day. All about every 2 to 4 weeks, and they all pay him, sometimes in different ways.. taking him to dinner, baseball tickets, etc.

From these 5 experimental clients, he has generated another 15 from their references. I have no real point to this story other than people are putting money first. Think about what the instruction may lead you to do, or become? Hell, you might make a friend out of your instructor? You will probably enjoy the game more. Use your new talents in business meetings out on the course and slap around your hot shot boss. Golf  is a beautiful game, if only it got treated that way once in a while still.

Interesting read...I'd love to be in the position someday where I didn't worry about how much things cost...or if the difference between 5k and 20k really was insignificant...however, for the vast, vast majority of people in this world that isn't and never will be the case...maybe instead of seeing money first golf pros should think about how neat it would be to call me their friend or the funny stories I might be able to tell them...:)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,689 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 5004

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

View Posttopekareal, on 15 January 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 14 January 2013 - 10:15 PM, said:

View Posttopekareal, on 14 January 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

View Postiteachgolf, on 14 January 2013 - 09:54 PM, said:

$125 per hr
$400 for package of 4 or half day
$700 for full day (8 hours)
$1000 for three half days.  (12 hours)

Members of my club get a discount off those prices as do juniors.

Yikes...that is pretty steep...although if you could break up the three 1/2 days into 12, 1 hour sessions for 1000, that would be fairly decent...something seems out of line when a golf lesson costs 4X as much per hour as a high school math class...ouch!
Except you can't teach golf lessons all hours of the day.  Scheduling lessons before noon on weekdays for most pros is basically non existent for the most part.  Only so many hours a teacher can actually realistically schedule.  My case is different since I teach a lot of mini tour and college players who prefer weekday mornings.  You may think I'm steep, but ponder this question.  What do the top 1% of professionals in whatever you do for a living make a year?  I promise I make less than them, not that I'm complaining.

Its a free market and basic economics.  If my prices were too high I'd struggle to get business. I'm pretty much booked at least half the day 5 days a week until May not including the days I travel to PGA and Web.com Tour events.  I'm the absolutely one of the cheapest instructors in the US when it comes to anyone in my peer group, similar experience/resume.  Virtually every teacher with a similar resume to mine charges nearly double or more than what I do.  I'm right at the national average price wise.

It is a free market and you're exactly right...if what you were charging was too much, you'd have a lot of appointments to fill...and when working with serious golfers and better players who really want to get better, your explanation sounds pretty on...I guess I find it interesting that many teaching pros only offer one rate for a period of time...

That is, an hour is __________ no matter what...If it were up to me, I'd like to see reduced (subsidized??) rates for juniors or beginners who may not have the background or require the same amount/type of instruction as other players...
I offer reduced rates for juniors at $80 an hour and even less if they are members of my golf club.  But for beginners I don't charge any different. If anything beginning are more taxing to teach, more satisfying as well, and an hour is an hour.  My juniors are a reduced rate since they take lessons more frequently and commit to at least two lessons a month.  My juniors all qualified for regionals and the team I teach won their conference by 39 shots.

#33 MizunoJoe

MizunoJoe

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,006 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14567
GolfWRX Likes : 125

Posted 16 January 2013 - 06:44 PM

Can't imagine that a 1 hr lesson for a beginner could possibly be worth it, no matter if it were $10 from the best teacher in the world.  Even if the whole hour were spent solely on getting the hands on the club somewhat correctly, they won't remember it.  Their $10 would be infinitely better spent buying Hogan's 5L, and spending at least a yr reading and hitting balls.

#34 dairic

dairic

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132074
GolfWRX Likes : 220

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:22 PM

View PostMizunoJoe, on 16 January 2013 - 06:44 PM, said:

Can't imagine that a 1 hr lesson for a beginner could possibly be worth it, no matter if it were $10 from the best teacher in the world.  Even if the whole hour were spent solely on getting the hands on the club somewhat correctly, they won't remember it.  Their $10 would be infinitely better spent buying Hogan's 5L, and spending at least a yr reading and hitting balls.

I agree with this, MJ making a lot of sense as usual.

#35 Stampa

Stampa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102145
  • Ebay ID:fauxbot5000
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'd recommend online lessons, they are much more affordable and the instructor will likely give you just one or two things to work on.  It's much easier to practice just one thing at a time.  Plus, you can access the lessons anytime, whereas lessons in person are difficult to remember.  Whatever you do, best of luck, and stay patient.  It takes years for most people to any reach a respectable level of skill in golf.

#36 WidespreadPanic

WidespreadPanic

Wizard in the Corner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,718 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 425856
  • Handicap:1.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1105

Posted 13 September 2017 - 01:19 AM

View Postairjammer, on 14 January 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Golf sadly may not be for everybody. I had the most fun when I shot high 80s and would tell anyone if you don't plan on going pro stay around that level.  You can have a good day and break 80 which a lot of golfers don't ever do and shoot 100 another day and not feel like quitting.  Back to the main question and $40 to $60 in the middle tennessee area.
This is very old I know - I was searching what lessons cost these days and this comment was a keeper...

"If you arent going pro, stay shooting around the high 80's. Its more fun."

So guys, if you start consistently shooting mid 80's, low 80's, stop practicing. Get worse. You will have more fun.

Edited by WidespreadPanic, 13 September 2017 - 01:22 AM.

Taylormade M2 ('17) 11* Fujikura Speeder XLR8 Pro 63
Taylormade M1 ('17) 3HL 17* Aldila Rogue Silver 70
Taylormade UDI 20* Aldila RIP Alpha 105 / Cobra Baffler 18.5* Aldila Tour Blue 75
Mizuno MPH5 4 iron DG S300
Mizuno MP33 5-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*
Titleist SM5 56*, 60*
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TP5

#37 Grayback1973

Grayback1973

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322609
GolfWRX Likes : 435

Posted 13 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostWidespreadPanic, on 13 September 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

View Postairjammer, on 14 January 2013 - 01:42 PM, said:

Golf sadly may not be for everybody. I had the most fun when I shot high 80s and would tell anyone if you don't plan on going pro stay around that level.  You can have a good day and break 80 which a lot of golfers don't ever do and shoot 100 another day and not feel like quitting.  Back to the main question and $40 to $60 in the middle tennessee area.
This is very old I know - I was searching what lessons cost these days and this comment was a keeper...

"If you arent going pro, stay shooting around the high 80's. Its more fun."

So guys, if you start consistently shooting mid 80's, low 80's, stop practicing. Get worse. You will have more fun.
It really is a great comment.I really enjoy playing golf these days as much as I shank,pull,fat... etc.I still work at my swing in different ways but it's no longer an obsession to be a scratch player.I'd rather enjoy the game and be 12 index than be miserable and scratch never satisfied.
D-Nike Vapor Fly
3w-Nike Vapor Speed
Adams Idea 17deg
4-pw Mizuno mp59
Cleveland cg16 sw-56
Ping B60

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors