Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

how hard do you swing on mid iron full shots?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 cadillacfox

cadillacfox

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213833
  • Ebay ID:cadillacfox
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

I feel like my best shots come when I only swing about 60% with a 5, 6, or 7 iron. An example I can hit my  5 Iron 205 if I swing 100% but I dont know where its going. Im much more accurate if I pull out the 5 iron to hit a smooth 165-175. To improve my game and take it to my next level do I have to be able to hit all my irons 100%? Can I become scratch with these 60% swings with 5 iron and higher. I just dont want to temporarily make good swings I want to be good for the long run.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

The Hans Gruber

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 5417

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:11 PM

I probably swing 80-85% on a stock shot

For a while in 2012 i got so comfortable hitting smooth shots that it's pretty much all i did. I would hit 5 irons from 150 and PW's from 80yds....i don't really think it helped my game. I forgot how to make a full swing with irons....it's great to have in the bag for windy days but i think you have to find the best combination of loft and a relaxed swing. Just because some greens you want to come in higher, or you need to carry something and land soft etc....
Cobra Bio Cell+ 8.5 w/Ozik Red Tie
Cobra Bio Cell 13 w/PXV
Callaway Xhot Pro 16 w/PXV
Mizuno JPX825 wS300
Mizuno MPr-12 56 and 60 / Spinner
Odyssey Tank #7

#3 Mulligan26

Mulligan26

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28075
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

With all irons I like to swing 80% if I can, my 4i stock shot is 210 with an 80% swing. I swing harder off the tee with the same club but I have more room to miss

#4 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99014
GolfWRX Likes : 2461

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

As hard as i can. If i try babying something, i lose all confidence. Take one less club and hammer it.
RAZR Fit Xtreme 10.5 with 7M3 S
Maltby KE4-ST-F, Razr fit, MP650???
Adams Super Hybrid 17*  Program 7.1 S
Adams A12 Pro KBS Tour 4-GW
Adams Pugliellii 56 and 60 DG spinners
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#5 cadillacfox

cadillacfox

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 213833
  • Ebay ID:cadillacfox
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

View PostKYMAR, on 10 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

As hard as i can. If i try babying something, i lose all confidence. Take one less club and hammer it.

Have you always been accurate with the hard as you can shot? Is that how you started or did you develop it and build up to a 100% swing?

#6 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Iif I try hitting a 6 iron at 50 or 60% i have a tendency to come out of the shot and hit it fat or a wipe across the ball and hit some weak fade. So when i say "as hard as i can" I don't mean i max out on every single swing i take but, I am WAY more accurate taking a full swing with a full turn (well, as full as my turn gets :pimp: ) and going after the ball than I am trying to lay off of it.  I can hit knock downs and stuff with shorter irons and wedges and can hit 3/4 shots when the wind or elevation calls for it, but I really am most comfortable when I take an aggressive pass at the ball. For me, and it took me a long time to learn this, it's about tempo. And it's hard for me to change swing width/length and feel like I'm in tempo. But, I'm not that good either so take all of this with not a grain of salt, but one of those big a** salt licks they have for deer.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#7 tbowles411

tbowles411

Nikki Garrett- LET member...becuse MrPutt22 said so! LOL

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Handicap:23
GolfWRX Likes : 2153

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

I swing everything the same.  There's less to think about.  I'm of the Nicklaus mindset:  Use the right club instead of trying to change the swing.  Nice and smooth, about 85-90%.  I find I get less tired too.

Edited by tbowles411, 10 January 2013 - 10:02 PM.

#8 borgore23

borgore23

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128802
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:25 PM

I typically swing hard (90%+) on full shots. If I'm between clubs ill typically choke up an inch or so which will knock off 5-6 yards typically.

#9 KYMAR

KYMAR

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,918 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:53 AM

I realized, during this my most recent bought of insomnia, that i never really answered your question. The answer is yes, of course, there is no limit to how good you can get and how low you can score using half shots with mid irons. There is no reason not to play to your strengths. If that's 160 yard 5 irons because thats how you best play, then don't fight it.
TM Daddy Long Legs 38'

#10 tembolo1284

tembolo1284

Jack still da man!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 19,046 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71802
  • Handicap:Beef
GolfWRX Likes : 2047

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

full is in the 80 range for me.

Only on drives or where I feel I really need to go after one because of a certain breeze or whatever condition do I smoke one...and that's maybe 90 at most.

I find under the gun I'd rather go after things full or even a bit more than trying to take something off.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 Eag1e

Eag1e

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94910
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:59 AM

Hard as I can without losing balance. Probably comes out to 85-90%. It rarely turns out well if I swing something easy so if I'm inbetween clubs I'm either gripping down or clubbing down and swinging hard. Usually I can do a decent job of getting rid of 5 or so yards from a mid iron by taking a full backswing and knocking it down - the later release gets rid of some clubhead speed. I can hit a ball with any length backswing as long as I hit it hard. And I can hit wedges pretty softly. But anything other than wedges = no soft swings.

#12 Petter Player

Petter Player

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70069
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

I think it varies a lot day in day out. Sometimes you can alter everything, say hit an easy 5i to 175 or muscle it past 200.

If you've had a workout day before, you're likely a bit stiff, then it is not possible to hit delicate shots with mid-irons, not for me at least. But if you come straight out from Pilates lesson, your body is really awake and you can feel all your muscles working the way you want.

Earlier during my golfing years I was trying very hard to figure a way to hit acceptable shots with less effort, but it did not work out. The problem was, that my swing look-alike did have no margin for error. The rythm of sequence was very fragile and if I did something slower than normal, other body parts would rush ahead leading to severe flipping, which of course lead to surprises on every shot, slices and hooks and what ever you can imagine. Nowadays I've altered most of the sequensing and find it relatively easy to hit easy, slow and hard.

The problem, when you take power off is that you start caring for the normal rythm being off sync. It is darn hard to hit easy, when your "neutral" is hitting it hard.

#13 sonofagunn

sonofagunn

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147771
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

For best consistency, I swing pretty fast (not hard). I wouldn't call it 100% but I'm not really holding back. I just have to make sure to not overdo the backswing and not rush the transition.

But again, not really a great golfer, so you can get another salt lick to go along with my advice.

#14 Lefty Light HItter

Lefty Light HItter

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106819
  • Handicap:4.9
GolfWRX Likes : 75

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostKYMAR, on 10 January 2013 - 09:23 PM, said:

F'in A Cotton!

Maybe I am just a dumb baseball player, but I've always been a beliver to throw a baseball at a target and just gun it and let your body take over.  People throw a baseball and a football better and more accurately with this mentality.  Also, I believer, like Nick Price, that you have to find a rhythm in your swing that fits your personality.  I don't like sitting around and I am on the move constantly.  A faster tempo and swinging harder for me syncs my body up on a more consistent basis than making deliberate backswings and downswings.  I too get WAY out ahead of the ball and hit weak block slices or smothered worm burning hooks trying to swing at "50%".  I have seen guys who look like they are swinging at 50% and play well, but I'd have to ask them if that is what is going through their mind or not.
In search of solid contact...

#15 joeshmo

joeshmo

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100882
GolfWRX Likes : 83

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

I've always been curious about this. Would 100% be the absolute fastest you can swing and still maintain
your balance? Or is 100% the fastest you can swing and still make good contact with the ball? I honestly can't
remember playing with anyone that swings 90% of their max potential and I been at this game for 32 years.
If I swing with everything I have and then equate it to my normal swing I probably go 60% on average.

Talent is the desire to practice

#16 golftejas

golftejas

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131694
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:02 PM

I usually like to concentrate on a full turn rather than on a specific %swing speed.  That said, I have a tendency to lose consistency when my tempo gets too fast - - I start swinging too hard, jumping at the ball, flipping the hands etc. - - when that occurs, I like to think of backing off to about 75% power - - who knows what %speed I'm actually swinging at :taunt:

#17 Jamboy72

Jamboy72