Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Stock Shafts - Keep or Change em?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GitarooJack

GitarooJack

"You're strapping a what? To my where??"

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214407
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

In a game where the better players customize nearly every aspect of their clubs, when it comes to the putter, is grip usually where upgrading leaves off?

I know some people will put in a UST FF or a Matrix etc., but is the putter really the one exception to the better shaft rule?

I just threw a UST FF into my Metal X 1, but that was because I was cutting it down to 33 anyway and just got the new shaft because, well, why not? If I had originally purchased it in 33 and not 35, I would have left it perfectly alone.

Being a Jr. Club Ho with a new Versa coming, I just had to ask this question as I just reshafted (or custom ordered) everything in my bag save one club: my Razr Hawk 7 wood. Is this the one exception? Do tour pros usually keep their stock shafts too?

Thanks!

(On the flipside, has anybody used the UST FF Double Bend? Is it as good as the normal variety and does it play well in a #7?)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 PutterHo

PutterHo

We all have our vices.

• 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67708
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

Only if its bent ... at one time I went through a stepless yst phase but the AaronBadley avitar made a comment about a tad softer feel with the stepped yssomething.  No reason to really go nuts.  I messed with one of the ust's for a few hours and had a matrix in a byron but they took the feel out of it.  Those reminded me of the cushin inserts in a ping steel shaft with the vibration dampening feel.  Call me crazy but I was trying to figure out which way to go so I just took 4 of the shafts all the same length and grip and tried them out on the range at the same time.  As long as the shaft hasn't been prepped too much its not you are swinging hard enough to knock it off and should fit tight.  Guys looked at me like what on god's green earth are you doing with 4 putter shafts man !!

#3 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• 7,408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1695

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

View PostPutterHo, on 09 January 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Only if its bent ... at one time I went through a stepless yst phase but the AaronBadley avitar made a comment about a tad softer feel with the stepped yssomething.  No reason to really go nuts.  

Is that me?  LOL

To the OP's question, I don't think a lot of the so called putter shaft upgrades are upgrades at all.  I don't see the use for a FF shaft or graphite for that matter.  

Personally, I like consistency.  I bought a Bettinardi in 2006 that had a stepped True Temper YSC shaft in it.  At the time all the plumber's neck Cameron's had them too.  For a 34 inch putter they are 100 grams--which is very reasonable.  I like the feel and consistency so all my putters have a stepped YSC putter shaft.  If they didn't come with one I will pull the OEM shaft and replace with a YSC.

Edited by 502 to Right, 09 January 2013 - 08:48 PM.

Driver through LW: mostly Cleveland
Putter: Anser 2 style made by Titleist

#4 PutterHo

PutterHo

We all have our vices.

• 1,895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67708
GolfWRX Likes : 330

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:10 PM

View Post502 to Right, on 09 January 2013 - 08:45 PM, said:

View PostPutterHo, on 09 January 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

Only if its bent ... at one time I went through a stepless yst phase but the AaronBadley avitar made a comment about a tad softer feel with the stepped yssomething.  No reason to really go nuts.  

Is that me?  LOL

To the OP's question, I don't think a lot of the so called putter shaft upgrades are upgrades at all.  I don't see the use for a FF shaft or graphite for that matter.  

Personally, I like consistency.  I bought a Bettinardi in 2006 that had a stepped True Temper YSC shaft in it.  At the time all the plumber's neck Cameron's had them too.  For a 34 inch putter they are 100 grams--which is very reasonable.  I like the feel and consistency so all my putters have a stepped YSC putter shaft.  If they didn't come with one I will pull the OEM shaft and replace with a YSC.
Yes it sure was wisco .... gotta give credit where credit was due.  Saved me a lot of money.  It did piss me off then golfworks up'd their tt prices though by 40% from $6 and change to $10.  I break a lot of ole Scotty's rules these days.  Did you ever get that JW stainless Ping Anser that was on the bay ?

#5 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• 7,408 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:8.3
GolfWRX Likes : 1695

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

View PostPutterHo, on 09 January 2013 - 09:10 PM, said:

Did you ever get that JW stainless Ping Anser that was on the bay ?

I never did.  Price was too rich for my blood.  It was a sweet putter though.

Driver through LW: mostly Cleveland
Putter: Anser 2 style made by Titleist

#6 Breaker999

Breaker999

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30417
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Pros don't use stock shafts for putters.  Cameron putters starting from the Studio Select have stepless shafts.  If you look at the Cameron guys on tour, they mostly use stepped (TT YSC).  Ping went stepless for retail putters a few years ago.  Bubba's, Lee's, and other players use stepped.  Not all stepped shafts are the same.  I think manufacturers went to slightly heavier, butt weighted putter shafts to counter the heavier head weights.  I personally feel it's important to match the shaft with the head, even for putters.  If you have a putter that feels slightly dead, try changing the grip first (as stock grips have gotten thicker and heavier) and if that doesn't do it, change the shaft.  For those feel players, it makes a difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors