Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

??? Tommy Armour Persimmon Set. Heads all same size.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 oldsticks

oldsticks

oldsticks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164103
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:31 PM

Several months ago I picked up a pristine set 1961 set of MacGregor Tommy Armour VFQ irons and Armour AT2W (1962) wood set. This set sat unplayed and unmolested, in a closet for over 50 years. The set saw some limited play then put in the closet. Includes 2 Penna wedges, a 55* & 58*. Also a 1961 MacGregor Deadeye putter with a glass shaft.
What I need help with is the woods. They all are the same size heads. Different length shafts. I'm more of a hickory guy, so not as familiar with the classics
as I would like to be. I have hundreds of persimmons, lots of sets, they all have progressively smaller heads as the loft increases.
Another odd feature to this set is the neck no's. I included a picture of what is where the numbers should be (same on all 4 clubs).
I know there are a bunch of Mac Armour wonks out there, please educate me.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ironmaster Oddities

Ironmaster Oddities

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116695
  • Ebay ID:elkhartmarbles
GolfWRX Likes : 274

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I think they had to be some sort of special order woods to all be the same size. I have never seen a set of MacGregors like them.  Kind of a precursor of Pings; but even they weren't quite the same size. Maybe the guy who had them built  was way ahead of his time?

#3 oldsticks

oldsticks

oldsticks

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 164103
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:00 PM

View PostIronmaster Oddities, on 09 January 2013 - 05:50 PM, said:

I think they had to be some sort of special order woods to all be the same size. I have never seen a set of MacGregors like them.  Kind of a precursor of Pings; but even they weren't quite the same size. Maybe the guy who had them built  was way ahead of his time?

The clubs came available in an estate sale, after the guy died. I would have loved to hear the story.
Sorry about the double post, I'm an old/newbie to this site.

Edited by oldsticks, 09 January 2013 - 06:03 PM.

#4 freddiec

freddiec

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2258
GolfWRX Likes : 165

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

I played that exact 2 wood in High School. Used to hit it off the tee a lot. I thought it was the best old Mac I ever had. Had orig shaft and leather grip.  Can still remember getting 1 of my 1st real lessons and hitting it , 1 after another 225 up the middle, sweet draw.  Great wood!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors