Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Room For Growth article by Ron Sirak

growing the game.

1 reply to this topic

#1 displayname

displayname

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68127
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

http://www.golfdiges...m-to-grow-sirak

I saw this article pop up on my Facebook news feed, and I thought it was a really good write up on some ideas for growing the game.  Overall, I agree with the ideas, and above all I really agree with the main theories and "the 4 F's". Personally I strongly agree with making the game more affordable.  I think this is where golf misses the mark over and over in general.  Everyone can name some exceptions, but I've stated my case in other threads on this.  

I also really enjoyed the bit of history about bringing the game to woman, TV, and the working class. Being in my late 20's, this was actually news to me. (I was shocked to really learn something from GD that I hadn't heard before)  The article really stayed away from the discussion of equipment too, which was refreshing. Yes, they did touch on it briefly in the history, but it was not a theme or discussed as a positive or negative.

Let me know your thoughts on this and jump in.  I think the game has so much to offer so many people, and I think Sirak has his head in the right place here.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 gvogel

gvogel

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,879 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37680
  • Ebay ID:dbvogey
GolfWRX Likes : 208

Posted 02 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

I like the emphasis on fitness - but here's a problem as I see it.  The rules making authorities established 14 clubs as the standard set - and about 9 or 10 is all anyone can be expected to carry.

The equipment manufacturers have an interest in you having more than 14 clubs.  The course operators want you to take a cart because they need the revenue.  But if most everyone carried 9 or 10 clubs, players would get the benefit of walking.

Time and time again, money has spoiled a great game.

Take technology.  The golf companies want you to believe that their equipment goes farther and straighter.  And the ball has been engineered to do just that.  But equipment that goes farther and straighter means that golf course architects have to build longer courses to be relevant for the game's best players.  So, courses become longer and harder to walk.

And, I would ask, is the game really any easier with gigantic driver heads?  OR does it just take longer to play?

I play hickory golf, and that game is growing.  It is definitely a harder variety of golf, but I would almost say the there is more satisfaction in playing a good shot with hickories.  As a result of my hickory experience, I believe that the powers in golf should be trying to make the game harder, not easier, for better golfers.  If the equipment were harder to use for skilled players, the course designers could make the courses a little easier, and shorter - and that would benefit the sport.
Practice with AP2's,
play with AP1's

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with growing the game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors