Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best Fitting Center in michigan

104 replies to this topic

#1 Wet Doggg

Wet Doggg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114289
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Looking for the best fitting facility in Michigan. Live in the Grand Rapids area but willing to drive if necessary. Have never had a set of irons truly fit to me and have finally decided to give that a try. I am a good player and my irons are what I struggle with the most. Can't hurt to see what a fitted set might do for me.

So any thoughts. I know Maple Hill and Golf Emporium claim to fir clubs, but to what level?

Much appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Jspangler

Jspangler

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150677
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

Miles of golf in Ann Arbor, top 100 fitter in the nation every year and 1 of 5 regional titleist centers. The place is amazing and the guys are great also.

#3 3 Jack Par

3 Jack Par

Greatest Putter Ever

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45414
GolfWRX Likes : 156

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:49 AM

If you want to go all out:
http://www.milesofgo...x-iron-fitting/

Edit:
If you're going to be up near Boyne Highlands any time this year, our buddy Sweet has his fitting center (Precision Fit Golf) up there at the clubhouse for the Hills/Ross/Moor courses.  I stopped in there last year when I was there for the Mid-Am, and he has a pretty sweet (pun intended) setup, and he definitely knows his stuff.  I'm planning to have him fit me into new irons at the end of this season when the USGA in their infinite wisdom is basically forcing me to change if I want to play any competitive golf beyond this year.

Edited by 3 Jack Par, 10 January 2013 - 09:34 AM.

Ping G25 8.5*, 44.5" AD BB 6x
Ping G25 15* AD BB 7x, 913F 19* D83X
913 Hd 23*, Diamana D+ White 102x
4-PW - Ping S56 Yellow dot, DG X100
Ping Tour Gorge 54/Vokey SM5 58 K Grind
Byron Morgan 612/007/DH89
WITB Link

#4 odshot68

odshot68

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

View PostWet Doggg, on 09 January 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

Looking for the best fitting facility in Michigan. Live in the Grand Rapids area but willing to drive if necessary. Have never had a set of irons truly fit to me and have finally decided to give that a try. I am a good player and my irons are what I struggle with the most. Can't hurt to see what a fitted set might do for me.

So any thoughts. I know Maple Hill and Golf Emporium claim to fir clubs, but to what level?

Much appreciated.

There really isn't much fitting at Maple Hill, you are much better at Golf Emporium.  If you are willing to travel I would go to Carl's Launch Pad.  The main guys left Miles of Golf to go there.
Titleist 915D2
Titleist 915F 15, 915h 17
Titleist 712U 21 & 24 DGS300
Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW DGS300
Vokey SM5 52.08, 58.08 DGS300
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#5 itw419

itw419

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 34050
GolfWRX Likes : 33

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

View Postodshot68, on 11 January 2013 - 04:37 PM, said:

Much appreciated.

There really isn't much fitting at Maple Hill, you are much better at Golf Emporium.  If you are willing to travel I would go to Carl's Launch Pad.  The main guys left Miles of Golf to go there.

There are still knowledgable fitters at Miles. Their best fitter is still there and there are a couple other guys who are good.  I have good experiences with fitters that are still there.

RBZ Tour Miyazaki Kusula White 61x
Taylor Made R9 4 wood stock 70x
ClevelandHalo 22*&Adams Super LS 19*
Titleist AP2 710 5- PW X100
Vokey 52*&56* MacGregor 60*
Nike Method Drone Belly

#6 Wet Doggg

Wet Doggg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114289
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

Thanks guys. Funny thing is Dave Kendall of the Kendall Acadamy was my first ever golf coach/instructor. Long time ago, maybe 33 - 35 years ago at Cadillac Country Club. He is still a good family friend.

#7 cassel191919

cassel191919

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 220745
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Much appreciated.

This is not true at all. The main fitting person is stil there. I know one of the guy left, but they did not get all of the best people from miles. There are plenty of good fitters on staff at miles

Edited by cassel191919, 17 January 2013 - 12:40 PM.

#8 TheBoomer

TheBoomer

Major Winner

• 2,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67458
GolfWRX Likes : 258

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM

Pure Impact Golf Studio.

He has all the equipment that Miles and Carls has + all the soft Japanese Forgings you could want.

http://www.pureimpactgolfstudio.com/
TESTING
WITB Link

#9 odshot68

odshot68

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30735
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:44 PM

View PostGoogleMe, on 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Pure Impact Golf Studio.

He has all the equipment that Miles and Carls has + all the soft Japanese Forgings you could want.

If you like an adapter that changes the weight of the club.  Its not the same feel as hitting the club without it.  Plus, you hit indoors and don't see the ball flight during the fitting.  That with his phone going off during the fitting.  I would stick with Carls or Miles.
Titleist 915D2
Titleist 915F 15, 915h 17
Titleist 712U 21 & 24 DGS300
Titleist 714 AP2 5-PW DGS300
Vokey SM5 52.08, 58.08 DGS300
Scotty Cameron Fastback

#10 Stenom

Stenom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 101883
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

Much appreciated.

The "main guy" that left miles for carls didn't even fit clubs.  He was the buyer for the retail store.  The other guy that went with him was miles least experienced fitter.  Carl's also uses flighted golf balls... not good.  Pure impact fits you into a net... not good.  Miles is your place for the most experienced fitters, most fitting options, and seeing full ball flight during your fitting.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137276
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:32 PM

View Postodshot68, on 17 January 2013 - 12:44 PM, said:

View PostGoogleMe, on 17 January 2013 - 12:38 PM, said:

Pure Impact Golf Studio.

If you like an adapter that changes the weight of the club.  Its not the same feel as hitting the club without it.  Plus, you hit indoors and don't see the ball flight during the fitting.  That with his phone going off during the fitting.  I would stick with Carls or Miles.

He does have some awesome stuff you can't get anywhere else though.  I remember hitting some epons whenever I went in there that have to be the nicest irons out there.
Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi
WITB Link

#12 bakergolf

bakergolf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 155531

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

Let's make sure that we have all of the facts correct

Carl's Golfland in Bloomfield has just opened a state of the art fitting center called The Launch Pad.  Here is a link to check it out.  http://www.carlsgolfland.com/launchpad/index.php

The Launch Pad has four private fitting suites, all equipped with Trackman III to allow for full ball flight analysis.  The suites are all air conditioned and heated for year round use.  All of the fittings are done with TOUR LEVEL golf balls.  Carl's Golfland has never used limited flight golf balls.  Their staff of fitters is highly qualified and experienced.  All are level 2 certified by Trackman University; two have recently completed a Master's thesis and are awaiting approval.  (There are currently only 21 Trackman Masters in the world).  Equipment reps from Nike, TaylorMade, Titleist and Ping have all trusted the fitters at the Launch Pad to fit a number of their PGA staff professionals.  You can rest assured that your experience and access to fitting tools will be second to none.

Here is a link to a post from another WRX member about his experience.  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/774271-the-launch-pad/page__pid__6217941#entry6217941

If you are interested in a fitting you should definitely check out The Launch Pad.

#13 dozer996

dozer996

Tour Winner

• 798 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75612
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

View Postbakergolf, on 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

Carl's Golfland in Bloomfield has just opened a state of the art fitting center called The Launch Pad.  Here is a link to check it out.  http://www.carlsgolfland.com/launchpad/index.php

The Launch Pad has four private fitting suites, all equipped with Trackman III to allow for full ball flight analysis.  The suites are all air conditioned and heated for year round use.  All of the fittings are done with TOUR LEVEL golf balls.  Carl's Golfland has never used limited flight golf balls.  Their staff of fitters is highly qualified and experienced.  All are level 2 certified by Trackman University; two have recently completed a Master's thesis and are awaiting approval.  (There are currently only 21 Trackman Masters in the world).  Equipment reps from Nike, TaylorMade, Titleist and Ping have all trusted the fitters at the Launch Pad to fit a number of their PGA staff professionals.  You can rest assured that your experience and access to fitting tools will be second to none.

Here is a link to a post from another WRX member about his experience.  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/774271-the-launch-pad/page__pid__6217941#entry6217941

If you are interested in a fitting you should definitely check out The Launch Pad.

The Launch Pad is sick...the place smells of rich mahogany and big flat screen TV's...they spared no dollars, first class all the way over at the Pad.
Titleist 913 D2 8.5 GD AD-BB 6s
Ping G25 15 | 18 | 22 GD AD-GT 7s
Epon AF-302 5-P | Yururi Flat Backs
Miura 1957 Y & C 51 | 55
Scratch Hand Crafted 59
Byron Morgan DH-89x GSS
WITB Link

#14 itw419

itw419

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I'm really looking forward to checking out the launch pad at Carl's. I have just had so many bad experiences at Carl's  in The past. Mostly the Plymouth location. I hope this changes in the future.   I might stop by there next week and check out the new fitting center. I need to get a bag anyways.
Nike Method Drone Belly

#15 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

What are tour level golf balls?  I've been fitted with normal yellow range balls and trackman has an algorithm that converts it to premium ball #s.

WITB Link

#16 itw419

itw419

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

View Postswizbeatz, on 18 January 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

What are tour level golf balls?  I've been fitted with normal yellow range balls and trackman has an algorithm that converts it to premium ball #s.

Great. Now I have to buy tour issue clubs and balls. This is gonna kill my wallet. Hahaha
Nike Method Drone Belly

#17 orchardlake2003

orchardlake2003

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39315
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

View Postitw419, on 18 January 2013 - 04:14 PM, said:

I'm really looking forward to checking out the launch pad at Carl's. I have just had so many bad experiences at Carl's  in The past. Mostly the Plymouth location. I hope this changes in the future.   I might stop by there next week and check out the new fitting center. I need to get a bag anyways.

Go to Pure Impact Golf Studio. They do a great job and are one of the sponsors of this site.  Chris who runs it fit me better than anyone else and I have been to Carl's and Miles of Golf!

#18 itw419

itw419

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

View Postorchardlake2003, on 19 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

Go to Pure Impact Golf Studio. They do a great job and are one of the sponsors of this site.  Chris who runs it fit me better than anyone else and I have been to Carl's and Miles of Golf!

I have been there quite a few times. I am going there next week. Still want to check out the new facility at Carl's and what they have to offer now.
Nike Method Drone Belly

#19 bppry

bppry

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116337
GolfWRX Likes : 35

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

The down side of what I saw at Carl's was your options to be fit are only what the OEM offers. So if a company doesn't offer a certain brand of shaft there is no way you can try it unlike pure impact where you can.

And +1 itw on Carl's in Plymouth. They have the worst sales reps of any store I've been in. Was there last weekend and 4-5 sales reps are all in a circle with elbows leaning on racks just chatting it up and ignoring all customers.

Edited by bppry, 19 January 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#20 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

Chris at Pure Impact was amazing.  The day i went to get fit i was swinging horribly.  He actually helped me a bit and pointed out some things he noticed so i could fix my swing and get back to normal.  He was extremely patient although i was embarassed since i'm a 1 handicap that was hitting it thin, off the toe, etc, lol.  He got me dialed in to a Cal Razr 10.5 with a VTS and I got another 20 yards out of my new driver.  Told me to come back the next week to pick it up and when I did he had me hit some more balls to make sure everything matched up and told me that if something ever happens and I don't feel its right to let him know and he would work with me to make sure i was happy!

True he is busy and he does run around a little while ur getting fit but that also means he has a lot of business which means he is good so people are coming to him.  I can't enough good things about him, they also have a fitness center with a coach in his studio as well.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

They also have I think it is Bob Krause giving lessons, he seemed to be great to work with from the interactions I saw while I was in there.
WITB Link

#22 itw419

itw419

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,077 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:50 PM

I stopped by Carl's today to check out The Launch Pad. It's really nice. They did a nice job of making it classy and functional. They have all the newest toys and fitting equipment. Pretty sweet.

Edited by itw419, 21 January 2013 - 07:46 PM.

Nike Method Drone Belly

#23 Shaank0

Shaank0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88406
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

View Postferrispgm, on 21 January 2013 - 12:48 PM, said:

Chris at Pure Impact was amazing.  The day i went to get fit i was swinging horribly.  He actually helped me a bit and pointed out some things he noticed so i could fix my swing and get back to normal.  He was extremely patient although i was embarassed since i'm a 1 handicap that was hitting it thin, off the toe, etc, lol.  He got me dialed in to a Cal Razr 10.5 with a VTS and I got another 20 yards out of my new driver.  Told me to come back the next week to pick it up and when I did he had me hit some more balls to make sure everything matched up and told me that if something ever happens and I don't feel its right to let him know and he would work with me to make sure i was happy!

True he is busy and he does run around a little while ur getting fit but that also means he has a lot of business which means he is good so people are coming to him.  I can't enough good things about him, they also have a fitness center with a coach in his studio as well.

+1 Chris is awesome and very knowledgeable.

#24 campbellgolf9265

campbellgolf9265

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 222647

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

View Postbakergolf, on 18 January 2013 - 01:27 PM, said:

I know I'm new here, but isn't the guy from miles name casey baker...I'm guessing homer here...P.S.  longtime customer of both, so I think this is probably just an advertisement

#25 campbellgolf9265

campbellgolf9265

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:13 PM

View Postitw419, on 19 January 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

View Postorchardlake2003, on 19 January 2013 - 05:07 PM, said:

I have been there quite a few times. I am going there next week. Still want to check out the new facility at Carl's and what they have to offer now.
  I did go there.  My problem is that 1) they use flighted golf balls...I don't care what the "controlled" numbers say, I want to see real ball flight.  2) I didn't see anything that was custom..???  +1/2, 2 up seemed to be pushed...(in their stock??) and a few "stock custom shafts" but nothing that really pinned down my specific spec.  Sure, lots of fancy leather and flatscreens, but I thought they were really just kind of trying to fit me to stuff they had in their stockroom...not really anything that REALLY fit me...anyone else feel the same way?  Anyone else actually have a club built for them or ordered???  Let me know!

#26 campbellgolf9265

campbellgolf9265

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

View Postswizbeatz, on 18 January 2013 - 04:22 PM, said:

Carls uses flighted golf balls...that's even worse!

#27 swizbeatz

swizbeatz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,725 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

Pretty sure the launch pad will have pro v's shortly.
WITB Link

#28 zstwins2

zstwins2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 156017

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:53 PM

campbellgolf9265 you talk about bakergolf being a homer you have just joined GOLFWRX made FIVE post all bashing Carl's. Who do you work for?

#29 wonderbred2nded

wonderbred2nded

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29875

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:41 AM

Carl's uses EXTREMELY SIMILAR range ball as miles and keeps them separate from general range customers in order to assure they are in good condition. They also currently use Srixon Z star, XV's, Bridgestone B330 RX, RXs, E6's and will have many more options next year as well.

Edited by wonderbred2nded, 03 February 2013 - 12:32 PM.

#30 wonderbred2nded

wonderbred2nded

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29875

Posted 03 February 2013 - 12:32 PM

PLEASE SEE THE FOLLOWING POST FOR MORE INFO...

http://www.golfwrx.c...59#entry6355159

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors