Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Scottsdale, Have 3 rounds booked help fill in the rest!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lordbyron

lordbyron

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118441
GolfWRX Likes : 38

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

We are on a pre set trip playing at 9 am each morning.  We are playing at Whirlwind, G.C. Estrella, and Macdowell Mnt. Ranch.  We are staying at Kierland and have rental cars, 4 of the 6 in the group are up for playing 36 each day.

I am looking for must play recomendations.  Southern Dunes looks like it would be a good change of pace. The only real restriction would be distance from the previously listed courses.

I have read thru most of the threads just looking for an up to date, local opinion.  we are going to be in the area the second week in March.

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 YMark

YMark

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 168261
GolfWRX Likes : 177

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Wildfire has two (Palmer and Faldo) awesome courses about 10 minutes from Kierland. Grayhawk has two nice courses about the same distance. Talking Stick has two courses about 15 minutes away. Can't go wrong with any of them, but they aren't cheap in March.
Mark
Havin fun in the AZ sun

#3 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,756 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
GolfWRX Likes : 758

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:17 PM

If I understand correctly, you are looking for second round options to go with the already booked 9AM rounds?

Google says sunset in PHX in mid-March is 6:30.   9am might a bit of a late start to get in 36 with travel, so you need to a) find something close by and b) plan on a quick lunch.

Here are my suggestions that are good courses and in close proximity to the first round course.

Whirlwind has 36 holes so you could play the other course and not even leave the property.  They are both nice courses with excellent conditioning but not really remarkable or "must play."   You mentioned Southern Dunes.  It is only 19 miles south of Whirlwind on a straight-shot highway (no city traffic).  That would be my recommendation - one of my favorites in the State.

Estrella - 18 miles north is the Raven @ Verrado.  Another favorite.

McDowell Mtn Ranch - Very close by are Talking Stick (North course recommended) and Grayhawk (Raptor course recommended).  But just a bit further (~16 mi) would be We-Ko-Pa. The Saguaro Course is best in state and the one true "must play."

Enjoy!

#4 lordbyron

lordbyron

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

View Postteejaywhy, on 09 January 2013 - 07:17 PM, said:

If I understand correctly, you are looking for second round options to go with the already booked 9AM rounds?

Google says sunset in PHX in mid-March is 6:30.   9am might a bit of a late start to get in 36 with travel, so you need to a) find something close by and b) plan on a quick lunch.

Here are my suggestions that are good courses and in close proximity to the first round course.

Whirlwind has 36 holes so you could play the other course and not even leave the property.  They are both nice courses with excellent conditioning but not really remarkable or "must play."   You mentioned Southern Dunes.  It is only 19 miles south of Whirlwind on a straight-shot highway (no city traffic).  That would be my recommendation - one of my favorites in the State.

Estrella - 18 miles north is the Raven @ Verrado.  Another favorite.

McDowell Mtn Ranch - Very close by are Talking Stick (North course recommended) and Grayhawk (Raptor course recommended).  But just a bit further (~16 mi) would be We-Ko-Pa. The Saguaro Course is best in state and the one true "must play."

Enjoy!

Thank you for doing the leg work,
Just the local knowledge I was looking for.  Much
appreciated.

#5 jshel

jshel

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17037
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Another option, especially if you're looking for a little change of pace, is to look on Golfnow for a time at Moon Valley. It's a private club in north Phoenix that has been putting a few times a day up on golfnow.

It's a more traditional, less desert course. It's where Annika shot 59 in a LPGA event. Interesting greens, etc.

Worth considering.

Driver: TaylorMade SLDR 10.5 degrees
FW: Callaway X2Hot 15 degree
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 19 degree
Irons: Ping G25 4-UW
Wedges: Ping Gorge 54 and 58 degrees
Putter: Bettinardi Kuchar Model 1

#6 lordbyron

lordbyron

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:29 AM

View Postjshel, on 10 January 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

Another option, especially if you're looking for a little change of pace, is to look on Golfnow for a time at Moon Valley. It's a private club in north Phoenix that has been putting a few times a day up on golfnow.

It's a more traditional, less desert course. It's where Annika shot 59 in a LPGA event. Interesting greens, etc.

Worth considering.

Thanks,
thats another good option I would not have thought of....pretty close to our lodging as well...thanks again!  I have never played a desert style course and like the idea of a change of pace.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors