Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

Thoughts from a new guy about this site

95 replies to this topic

#1 Graymulligan

Graymulligan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215421
  • Handicap:7ish
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:53 PM

Greetings fellow golf nuts.  I'm confused on something, and I'm wondering whether anyone can offer me some insight.  Whenever people who love golf get together, I think we can all agree that its typically a lot of fun, lots of joking, shooting the breeze about equipment, golfers, courses, etc.  I know some of my favorite times have been on the golf course, and some of my favorite random people that I've met have been other golfers.  So assuming that everyone sort of feels the same way there...I have but a single question.  

Why is everyone here so angry and nasty to each other on a regular basis?  

In navigating the various sub-forums, I've seen people jump on other members for asking stupid questions (which weren't stupid), launch into tirades about why someone was an idiot for liking a specific brand of equipment, and just generally be a whole bunch of really nasty jerks.  

Is it bak syndrome?  (behind a keyboard) Is it just a bunch of internet tough guys mouthing off?  

Or are the people here just generally not very likable folks?

Blue Biocell, Aldila NV
Jetspeed 3 wood
Mizzy JPX800 pros, x100 shafts
Mizzy JPX 54/58
Futura X

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 FLOGMR

FLOGMR

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131781
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

It's really simple........
Posted Image

#3 ronstars

ronstars

#GetNaked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98452
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

You must understand that it is a forum, and a major one at that. In any forum there are going to be people that just surf the topics looking for somthing they can hate on or throw in someones face, just the way it is sadly. However, I think the more time you spend on here and ignore the haters, you'll find there are a ton of really great people on this site that truely love the game and love sharing that passion with others.
R1 V2 Matte Black 10.3* Txxxx AD DI6X
RBZ Proto 12.8* Txxxx AD DI7 black
RBZ Proto 18.0* Txxxx AD DJ8X
2014 TP MC 4-PW TIX100
Mackdaddy 2 52S,56S,60C
Newport 2/Betti BB8 Proto

#4 SnapFade2

SnapFade2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47267
  • Ebay ID:dj80d6
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:32 PM

There r alot of great people here. Dont worry about the haters.

#5 Pepperturbo

Pepperturbo

Glengoyne 21yr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,999 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14656
  • Handicap:Low
GolfWRX Likes : 984

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

View PostGraymulligan, on 09 January 2013 - 12:53 PM, said:

Greetings fellow golf nuts.  I'm confused on something, and I'm wondering whether anyone can offer me some insight.  Whenever people who love golf get together, I think we can all agree that its typically a lot of fun, lots of joking, shooting the breeze about equipment, golfers, courses, etc.  I know some of my favorite times have been on the golf course, and some of my favorite random people that I've met have been other golfers.  So assuming that everyone sort of feels the same way there...I have but a single question.  

In navigating the various sub-forums, I've seen people jump on other members for asking stupid questions (which weren't stupid), launch into tirades about why someone was an idiot for liking a specific brand of equipment, and just generally be a whole bunch of really nasty jerks.  

Is it bak syndrome?  (behind a keyboard) Is it just a bunch of internet tough guys mouthing off?  

Or are the people here just generally not very likable folks?

This board, like others, has it's fair share of disagreeable people, that attack if they don't agree with what's said.  Its all they know socially...  There's also a segment of people that overlook the 2D nature of the internet and stereotype, based on their predisposition, that probably aren't very likeable in life.  And, sometimes you have to write off what happens on the internet as staying on the internet.  But, by and large, this site is informative and there are plenty of civil good people, it just takes time to see them from the rest.

Edited by Pepperturbo, 09 January 2013 - 01:38 PM.

SLDR TP 9.5 PX6C12 Tour Issue
SLDR TP 15* Diamana Blueboard 83
2-PW '06' X-Forged - PX6.0
Miura 53* PX6.0-E0 / 59* DGS200-E0
ProV1x & Hex Black
SC California Monterey

#6 Mschumacher

Mschumacher

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 146903
  • Handicap:6.9
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Its always the bad things that you remember the most.

#7 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 211

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Don't let the haters win, ignore them and enjoy the good people that are here.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM R11 4-pw Project X
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 DG Spinner
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

#8 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 747

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

It's not so bad as long as you stay away from any topic about camerons, TM, Callaway, Hogan, stack and tilt, or anything where there are fans and detractors....

Seriously, it gets worse every winter because the guys who are snowed in look for an outlet.  People just get mean when the days get short and cold.  Usually gets better once the spring hits.

I really do avoid a lot of those threads I mentioned above.  People can be a bit crazy and like to take opinions to the extreme.

Edited by highergr0und, 09 January 2013 - 01:47 PM.

#9 SheriffBooth

SheriffBooth

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17355
  • Handicap:3.4
  • Ebay ID:yakima2k

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Please hit the Report button when you see posts like that.  The Marshals can't review every post that hits the forums, and member reporting is critical for weeding out the nincompoops and their nincompoop posts.
TM SLDR S, 10* Oban Kiyoshi Gold 04 45"
TM SLDR S 15* Kai'li 80 S
TM UDI 2i, DG XP S300 +.5"
TM SLDR irons, 4-AW, DG XP S300 +1"
Nike VR Forged DG XP S300 +1"
Ping Tour Gorge 60 WS DG S300 +1"
Bettinardi BB5, 35.5" SS Claw Grip

#10 jaskanski

jaskanski

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,954 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62078
GolfWRX Likes : 702

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

There is no way to legislate how someone will react to written communication if it doesn't contain any other obvious form of expression. Some people are simply bereft of a sense of humour (or humor), cannot detect sarcasm, or simply just don't know the difference between a joking and a serious tone.
Someone takes offence, the other party takes exception back - and the next thing you see is an escalation of (perceived) bad intentions.
I wouldn't feel too bad about it, because it is human nature to be cautious or wary of strangers and a cold exchange is sometimes inevitable. Once you get to know people (and their style of delivery) it soon becomes apparent that they are truly harmless and mean well. Occasionally, you will get the odd person with nothing but malicious intent, but these are thankfully in the minority and quickly lose interest.
If I could advise anyone on a particular aspect, it would be: LIGHTEN UP! Don't take it too seriously or verbatim. Accept people have a different way of interpreting reason. Acknowledge the cultural differences between different countries - what you may find offensive may not to someone else as part of their upbringing. Learn the art of self-deprecation and don't take offence if someone questions your background, your intelligence or level of education.
OK dummy?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

I can't say I have seen anyone THAT unpleasant on here. Sure you get a few pedants who seemingly surf the internet 24/7 for even the slightest errors in search of their 2 seconds of satisfaction, and you get pathetic people who take it as a personal insult if you slate Nike or TM (roll eyes smiley would be placed here if I could find it)... but in the main everyone seems to get on fine.

Shy away from threads with names such as "The Open or British Open?" and "Ryder Cup" and stick to the threads that don't instil a sense of jingoistic fervour, and your opinion will improve drastically.
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#12 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 7,044 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91668
GolfWRX Likes : 1511

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Pretty standard for a large forum community, if you ask me. The larger it is, the more polarized and extreme the opinions usually. Just use the Ignore List option for the users whose attitude you tend to dislike, don't take offense to any of the e-catfighting, and you will get along just fine.
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*
TEE CB5 15*
TEE CB Pro-h 21*
Bridgestone J40 DPC
Vokey 250.06, Callaway X-Forged 56*, 60*
Odyssey Tank Cruiser 330M
WITB Link

#13 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• 7,044 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

And this is actually pretty good reading for most newcomers to the site: http://www.golfwrx.c...e-hate-crusade/
Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*
TEE CB5 15*
TEE CB Pro-h 21*
Bridgestone J40 DPC
WITB Link

#14 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1958

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:01 PM

If you use the comment section on YouTube as a measuring stick were actually doing really well over here.

#15 Puppetmaster

Puppetmaster

Hall of Fame

• 7,044 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

View PostThrillhouse, on 09 January 2013 - 02:01 PM, said:

If you use the comment section on YouTube as a measuring stick were actually doing really well over here.

LOL.

Or the comment section of any mainstream media or sports site, for that matter.

Cobra Bio Cell Pro 8.5*
TEE CB5 15*
TEE CB Pro-h 21*
Bridgestone J40 DPC
WITB Link

#16 SnapFade2

SnapFade2

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47267
  • Ebay ID:dj80d6
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostSheriffBooth, on 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM, said:

Please hit the Report button when you see posts like that.  The Marshals can't review every post that hits the forums, and member reporting is critical for weeding out the nincompoops and their nincompoop posts.
I dont like that to much, becasue u can get banned for voicing ur opion on something u dont like. It has happened to me becuase i hate luke donald.

#17 MarkFromTheUK

MarkFromTheUK

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140175
  • Handicap:LH
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

View PostPuppetmaster, on 09 January 2013 - 02:02 PM, said:

LOL.

Or the comment section of any mainstream media or sports site, for that matter.

SO true.

The worst by far that I have seen is the Eurosport news iphone/pad app. I honestly think it's some sort of social experiment to round up the lowest forms of life.

The pgatour.com tour report isn't much better.
Bullet Hollowpoint Driver 8.5
Howson Hippo 3 wood
Nike Slingshot Irons
Bronty Chipmaster Mk.III
Alien Sand Wedge
TM Nubbins Putter

#18 fore

fore

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 989 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1981
GolfWRX Likes : 227

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's definitely an internet thing. If the few rude dudes here acted on the course like they do here, they would always play alone.

#19 teeitlow

teeitlow

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108646
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

For the most part it's a pretty likable group of golfers, but sometimes posting prior to thinking happens...I'm guilty of that...it happens.
I don't get worked up "too" much with the really nasty stuff...
Just picture the poster as a sweaty/smelly, disheveled adolescent in an unused closet, at the far corner of mama's basement slamming away at the keyboard between gulps of mountain dew and hot pockets.
It works trust me.
I had a member pm me once just to tell me  "He f'ing hated me"...Can't imagine the delight he was getting sending it to me, but I found it humorous trying to picturing it.
(not sure if it was this forum or another)
Still the best golf site on the 'net by far.
-D

#20 Aces-6

Aces-6

Major Winner

• BST Volunteer Mods
  • 2,210 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 48038
GolfWRX Likes : 157

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

It didn't use to be like that around here. It seems like the last few years it has become a shark tank though. I've noticed that I'm spending less time here than I used to. It's still the #1 golf forum on the web so I guess we just need to learn to take the bitter with the sweet.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 cardoustie

cardoustie

-24 in a 2 man scramble

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,341 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65255
GolfWRX Likes : 740

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

A couple of years ago I posted the same thing.  So much animosity, what's the deal?/

But, after while you learn to ignore the angry chaps and talk with the nice and knowledgable ones

General rule, unless you are as sharp on swing nuances as Slice F or B Harmon, stay away from deep level Hogan "discussions", it is a stomping ground
Ping Rapture V2 SPDR-660tr X
Cally 5 Deep Fuji TS 869 X
Ping G25 7 wood Fuji TS 952 X
Ping G25h 23* Fuji TS 904HBx
Ping s55 5-PW. Nippon 1150x GH Tour
TVD M's >50* sm4, 55,60,64 Sm2
WITB Link

#22 jwrogers

jwrogers

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5343
GolfWRX Likes : 234

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

If you use the comment section on YouTube as a measuring stick they are actually doing really well in the Middle East.

#23 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

View PostPuppetmaster, on 09 January 2013 - 01:56 PM, said:

Pretty standard for a large forum community, if you ask me. The larger it is, the more polarized and extreme the opinions usually. Just use the Ignore List option for the users whose attitude you tend to dislike, don't take offense to any of the e-catfighting, and you will get along just fine.
Or pop into the Maryland/VA/DC Golfers thread.  We're nice to each other over there, except for when we intentionally want to bust someone's chops...in a good natured way.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#24 Mitchell

Mitchell

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2251
GolfWRX Likes : 838

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Having been a member here for quite a bit, I can say that this forum, just like life in general, contains many, shall we say-interesting- personalities. As such, if you tend to treat others with dignity and respect, you tend to get the same in return, I just consider the rest free entertainment! Welcome to the forum and I look forward to your positive contributions to making it better, the fact that you are aware of negativity and chose to question same in a reasonable manner shows great promise for your experience here.
R510tp 10.5* VTS silver 7sx
TEE CB2 16.5*V2 fwy 95
3-pw Titleist 962b w/ s400
Vokey TVD 56m w/ s400
Odyssey Protype 6 w/ Iomic midsize

#25 Willie Malay

Willie Malay

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 183598
GolfWRX Likes : 434

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

It's WRX. If you don't own at least one Ping club, be ready to be criticized...

#26 Shiram

Shiram

Tour Winner

• 853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126739
GolfWRX Likes : 108

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

# of fights or altercations I've seen on a golf course in real life - 0
# of fights or altercations I've read about on GolfWRX - um a lot...

Either some of the users here are just that nasty or they just like to make up confrontations. Your guess is as good as mine.

That said, it's usually just a few hot heads - 99% of the posts are more positive.

#27 Carolina Golfer 2

Carolina Golfer 2

Hall of Fame

• 7,702 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9960
GolfWRX Likes : 325

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

View PostShiram, on 09 January 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

Either some of the users here are just that nasty or they just like to make up confrontations. Your guess is as good as mine.

That said, it's usually just a few hot heads - 99% of the posts are more positive.
LOL!! That is so true, I had never thought of that point before, but the fighting example you gave is spot on.
OptiForce 10.5* Diamana 62+ R
OptiForce 15* Diamana 62+ R
19 and 23 XHot Hybrid PXI 5.5
5-PW XHot PX 5.5
MD2 58-C 14 degree Hopkins 52 Custom
Versa No. 7

#28 Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse

EVERYTHING'S COMING UP THRILLHOUSE!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,344 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 140851
GolfWRX Likes : 1958

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostShiram, on 09 January 2013 - 03:51 PM, said:

There was one dude a little while back who wound up flaming out who claimed that he doesn't ever play a round of golf where he doesn't get in an altercation with somebody.

He was serious too.

#29 ronstars

ronstars

#GetNaked

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,045 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98452
GolfWRX Likes : 357

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

You may be right Willie, Only one way to find out however...

Number of Ping clubs I own....ZERO!

Bring it on Boys!!!! haha
R1 V2 Matte Black 10.3* Txxxx AD DI6X
RBZ Proto 12.8* Txxxx AD DI7 black
RBZ Proto 18.0* Txxxx AD DJ8X
2014 TP MC 4-PW TIX100
Mackdaddy 2 52S,56S,60C
Newport 2/Betti BB8 Proto

#30 justaman5

justaman5

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26172
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

it wasnt that way almost 5 years ago when I joined   my number is in mid 20,000 of members.  Now we have more than 200,000 members.  with added numbers   its like apples in a barrell    the more apples you have  the more u stand to get rotten    just human nature

Bridgestone J33 8.5 loft
Bridgetone J33 15 loft
Hogan Redline 1988 model 2-9
Vokey 48, 54, 60
Scotty Cameron Napa Valley
Prov1x

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors