Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Putter question - long term/short term

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 636

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

I have 2 scotty Cameron's
Kombi and a Newport

My short range putting is better with the Newport but when my stroke is a little off I prefer the kombi for the added forgiveness.
I am a very good putter as I would consider wedge and putter play my upmost strength.

My question is..
Stick with the blade to improve my stroke or get play the mallet and enjoy the extra forgiveness?

I notice that I don't make as much in the mid range distance with mallet but I hardly ever 3 putt.

Let me know your thoughts

Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* - HD6
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5* - RUL 70
Taylormade RBZ Hybrid 19* - Matrix Xcon
Taylormade R9 TP  3 - PW - Project X 6.0
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 -  52/58 - Tour V
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized
WITB Link

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:33 AM

If you hardly ever 3 putt then you belong on Tour not here asking which putter to use.

I do not buy this thinking:
"My short range putting is better with the Newport but when my stroke is a little off I prefer the kombi for the added forgiveness."

How can a putter forgive a lousy stroke?  Said another way the "forgiving putter" is then the better putter all the time not the other way around.

"Let me know your thoughts"
So my conclusion is this:

Neither one of those putters is right for you. You need a putter design that is a melding of the two.  Look for a putter like that and you will be all set.

Edited by Jon Robert, 09 January 2013 - 10:34 AM.

#3 KjBowenWRX

KjBowenWRX

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83695
  • Handicap:5.8
GolfWRX Likes : 636

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

View PostJon Robert, on 09 January 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

If you hardly ever 3 putt then you belong on Tour not here asking which putter to use.

"My short range putting is better with the Newport but when my stroke is a little off I prefer the kombi for the added forgiveness."

How can a putter forgive a lousy stroke?  Said another way the "forgiving putter" is then the better putter all the time not the other way around.

Neither one of those putters is right for you. You need a putter design that is a melding of the two.  Look for a putter like that and you will be all set.

Lousy stroke??
I am a very good putter. Never said lousy lol

On a long putt I tend to have my contact closer to the heel which with a blade hurts distance control as well as sends it more off line hence the mallet helps that situation.

On a shorter putt when the stroke is smaller the blade seems more comfortable. I am sure I'm closer to the center of the face on a small 5 foot putt compared to a 30 footer.
Taylormade RBZ Tour TP 9* - HD6
Taylormade RBZ Tour 14.5* - RUL 70
Taylormade RBZ Hybrid 19* - Matrix Xcon
Taylormade R9 TP  3 - PW - Project X 6.0
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 -  52/58 - Tour V
Cameron Newport 2 - Slighter customized
WITB Link

#4 PuttingDoctor

PuttingDoctor

The Putting Doctor

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,030 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70135
  • Ebay ID:The Putting Doctor
GolfWRX Likes : 88

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

I've long told golfers of a certain age that the alignment aids of extended back putters are the answer for aging eyes.  Use what works for you and focus on solid practice with that stick.

#5 Jon Robert

Jon Robert

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 163937
GolfWRX Likes : 26

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

View Postkjbowen, on 09 January 2013 - 11:02 AM, said:

View PostJon Robert, on 09 January 2013 - 10:33 AM, said:

Lousy stroke??
I am a very good putter. Never said lousy lol

On a long putt I tend to have my contact closer to the heel which with a blade hurts distance control as well as sends it more off line hence the mallet helps that situation.

On a shorter putt when the stroke is smaller the blade seems more comfortable. I am sure I'm closer to the center of the face on a small 5 foot putt compared to a 30 footer.

lousy is an arguments sake  descriptive term to point out the sillyness of "forgiving"  Putters don't forgive they just mask. Instead of missing by 10" the miss is 3" nothing was forgiven stil a miss.  Anyway why would a person be more accurate with one and not the other?  Brings me back to getting a putter that blends the 2. But you could always carry both on the course

Edited by Jon Robert, 09 January 2013 - 04:35 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors