Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Airline broken driver shaft

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 prorobo

prorobo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191834
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:54 PM

This happened to a buddy of mine a couple weeks ago. Luckily all the times I've brought my clubs with me I haven't had any issues (knock on wood).

My buddy flew JetBlue to Florida for Christmas with his family, brought the clubs, didn't even get to squeeze a round in, then found a broken driver upon return. I'm not sure if he used a travel bag or not, but his driver was the original Taylormade Superfast (glued head) and he had purchased it around May or so from Sports Authority.

Would this type of damage be warrantied by Taylormade? It's obviously not a manufacturer's defect but would they replace the shaft out of good will?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 HoosierHacker89

HoosierHacker89

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,328 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99812
  • Handicap:8.1
  • Ebay ID:Pinggolfer2007
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

i would say no, and i might be wrong. I really don't see taylormade being responsible at all for this, so i don't think they would be willing to put a new shaft in for free. I am sure they would reshaft it for him at a decent price. I think he should contact the airline and see what the policy is because they are the one that broke it. If nothing else he could get a new shaft or pull off line for very cheap and have it installed by his local club fitter. he could also use this as an opportunity to find a shaft that fits his swing if there is something better than this shaft for him.
PING Rapture v2 10.5 Rombax 7w06
PING g15 4 wood
PING i20 20* hybrid
Ping G10 xg 4-P AWT stiff
WITB Link
Ping Redwood Anser
Ping Tour S 52/58 S300

#3 Fastback65

Fastback65

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 162167
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

I was flying delta a couple years ago, they broke my bag and bent my iron shafts.  They told me to go buy replacements and send them the receipts.  Received a full refund.  Give the airline a call, they will probably take care of the shaft.

#4 BadBilly429

BadBilly429

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109086
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:55 PM

this is definitely not a warranty issue and the airline should cover the cost.  That being said my best friend works for one of the biggest retailers in Michigan and he has told me on several ocassions that sometimes the oem will warranty a club that was obviously misused or broken on purpose.  They send them in and the manufacturer will call and say ok no way and it will be x to fix the club, and sometimes they repair it and send it back and charge the customer nothing.

#5 TripleGrindSole

TripleGrindSole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151201
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Even if TMag would replace it, I personally wouldn't feel right asking them to do so. Plus, I'm sure the airlines protect themselves from having to pay for broken stuff somewhere in the ticket/baggage contract. I think your buddy is SOL

#6 TripleGrindSole

TripleGrindSole

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151201
GolfWRX Likes : 76

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Let us know how it turns out just in case something happens like this to one of us in the future.

#7 gmangolf

gmangolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45391
  • Ebay ID:gmcman22golf
GolfWRX Likes : 60

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Most airlines cover it but it is typically not enough for high-end goods. They won't understand the 600 shaft argument.  

Airline is the place to start. If its a stock club, he'll likely get it taken care of.

#8 mister2cool

mister2cool

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91010
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

It's definitely an airline issue. Airlines do take liability for damaged luggage. Your buddy needs to contact the airline and they should take care of it.

#9 espressoo

espressoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 116768
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

If your buddy paid the airline to ship it to his destination and it was damaged, they should be liable.  After all, they're charging $25+ for baggage (more if oversize).  Insurance should be factored in there somehow.  I wouldn't give the airlines a free pass here but I'm curious how your friend packaged it?  I hope he didn't simply slip on the rain cover and dropped it off?

#10 Jc0

Jc0

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119066
  • Handicap:+0.1
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Airline should cover.  Delta snapped 3 of my shafts once and the covered it.  Be happy it was an airline though.  The TSA broke my golf bag and they still haven't paid for it.  The removed from my hard case and put it back in wrong and broke the spine of the bag when they shut it.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Splitter

Splitter

The truth is out there....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63256
  • Ebay ID:salemander
GolfWRX Likes : 261

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

I'll be interested to see how this turns out.

If I remember right, the last time I flew American they made me sign some sort of liability waiver for my clubs.  I *believe* it was because I use a soft-shell case instead of a hard case?

I'm with the other poster.  I wouldn't even think to ask TMAG to fix it "just because".

#12 Graymulligan

Graymulligan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 215421
  • Handicap:9ish
GolfWRX Likes : 204

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

View PostSplitter, on 09 January 2013 - 06:30 PM, said:

If I remember right, the last time I flew American they made me sign some sort of liability waiver for my clubs.  I *believe* it was because I use a soft-shell case instead of a hard case?

You're memory is correct, I've had a similar situation.  A few of the airlines are trying to push people into using hardshelled cases, because stuff gets broken in the softshell cases.  IIRC, one or two of them won't allow golf clubs unless they're in a hard case.
910D2 10.5*, 913Fd 15*
Titlesit 909h 19*
Mizzy JPX800 pros, x100 shafts
Mizzy JPX 54/58
Ping Sydney.  (ugly, but effective)

#13 nfinch10

nfinch10

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 118668
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:49 PM

I have always had to sign, basically a luggage reciept, when checking in that excuses the airline from being liable if my clubs are damaged.  I am almost positive they said it was because I was using a soft-shell bag.  I believe that this was flying Southwest.  I make sure to put a wooden rod/ski pole/club glove type thing in the bag that is just a little longer than my driver to reduce the chance of them getting snapped.  I also load up the top with a towel and maybe a sweatshirt or two to prevent the heads from being able to knock around.  Knock on wood, but no issues so far...

#14 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 511

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

If it's a soft bag you have to hope the agent is in a good mood.....  or that the agent who checked you in forgot to have you sign the waiver.

#15 highergr0und

highergr0und

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52319
  • Ebay ID:highergr0und0
GolfWRX Likes : 511

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:56 PM

Also ask him how he paid for the checked bag or the plane ticket.....  A lot of credit cards have automatic travel insurance if you pay using the card.  So he might get lucky there too.

#16 prorobo

prorobo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191834
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 230

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:55 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll let you know how it turns out.

As an aside though, I used to travel for work quite a bit and whenever I brought my clubs along, not once was I ever required to sign a liability waiver for my sticks, soft cover and all. And I checked them in at both major Class B (think LAX) and Class C airports. Although I know for a fact my clubs have only flown Delta or US Air. I hate Southwest and never brought them on United or American.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors