Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf Coach in Columbus, Ohio

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stiffdogg06

stiffdogg06

Tour Sauce

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107291
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:49 PM

It's time to find a golf coach to work with from now on. Learning swings by yourself is pretty much useless to me. I like what Geoff Jones teaches with the "slicefixer" swing but I doubt many coaches teach that swing... Currently a 10 handicap and my "goat humping" is so ugly to watch on video...

With that being said, and with me trying not waste hundreds of dollars to find a good coach; anyone have any leads on some coaches in the Columbus, OH area? I am willing to drive a little bit if needed.

I thought about going to Doug Martin (Cincinnati golf coach) but he is in Florence, Ky which I guess I could make every 2 months or so.

TM 9.5 SLDR Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec
Cobra Pro MB's Project X 6.5
Ping i20 15 Black Project X 6.0
Odyssey White Ice 2-Ball

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Hstead

Hstead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95600
GolfWRX Likes : 893

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

I am in the same boat.  I have been unable to find a good teacher in the Cbus area.  I live about an hour and a half from Cbus, 2 hours from Cincy, and 2 hours from Lexington KY.  I tried a teacher that is supposed to be the "top ranked" in the state of KY and he nearly ruined me.  I have been to 5 of the Golf Magazine Top 100 and I only thought one was worth a crap.  I have driven to see my main teacher for twenty years and have followed him from South Carolina to Alabama for the past seven years.  He is too busy too and doesn't really give lessons anymore as he is the Womens coach for Bama and that keeps him busy. I just had a lesson with Mic and he fixed what the Lexington doofus broke.  

I am wanting to work a little more than Mic can handle and I too like the fundamentals that Geoff Jones teaches.  Geoff and Mic seem to subscribe to the same philosophy so I am going to drive the 12 hours down to Texarkana for three days next month.  I have wasted too many lessons on "top" teachers only to go backwards and be very unimpressed.  From what I have learned first hand and from friends in the business, then "top" lists are merely political bs and self promoters.  

Mic is not in the "top" of any list but I can tell you that he knows more about teaching the golf swing than all five of the "top 100" I worked with combined.  Andy Plummer didn't help me, Jim Suttie was AWFUL, Charles Sorrell was OK, and Todd Sones was pretty good and the only one that actually helped me.

I am hoping that from everything I have read, Geoof is going to be as good as Mic and I will not be wasting time, money, or going backwards with my game.
Ping i25 9.5 PWR 65 Tour X
Wishon 919FD 12*-S2S 85 X
Ping i20 3-UW Nippon SP Blue X
TM Tour Preferred 54 - Vokey TVD K 58
Titleist Lightweight, Tour 330B, Ecco
Ping Anser Byron DH89 Edel Low Tide Fin

#3 stiffdogg06

stiffdogg06

Tour Sauce

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107291
GolfWRX Likes : 74

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I might just pony up the dough and take a trip to Geoff's. I was suppose to go in October, but money got tight. He gives you a DVD after your trip to review which is nice.
TM 9.5 SLDR Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec
Cobra Pro MB's Project X 6.5
Ping i20 15 Black Project X 6.0
Odyssey White Ice 2-Ball

#4 Tyler08

Tyler08

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137431
GolfWRX Likes : 21

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

Best in our area I would say is the head pro at Shawnee Country Club.

Look him up, beautiful course and a very helpful pro.

About 1-1.5 hours from columbus

Ping Anser 9.5 Rip Red Eye X flex
07 Burner TP 14.5 stiff
Ping Rapture Driving Iron COMING SOON
Ping S56 4-pw KBS Tour Stiff Black Dot
Scratch 8620 53*, 58* D/S grind
Odyssey Metal X #7Mid,cut down with S/S

#5 The Milk Man

The Milk Man

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 79581
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostTyler08, on 08 January 2013 - 09:45 PM, said:

Best in our area I would say is the head pro at Shawnee Country Club.

Look him up, beautiful course and a very helpful pro.

About 1-1.5 hours from columbus

If your talking about Shawnee CC in Lima then name of the pro is Steve Mulcahy

#6 IP_Golf_Guy

IP_Golf_Guy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27945
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 13 June 2013 - 11:15 AM

Matt Smith at Pinnacle is good.

#7 mikpga

mikpga

Jammer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,207 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 20303
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 17 June 2013 - 06:40 AM

Stiffdog who have you considered from the Columbus area?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors